Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,454 members, 7,954,784 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:15 AM

At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? (16244 Views)

At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . / Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. / At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by Laee(m): 7:42pm On Sep 12, 2006
At What Age Would You Allow Your Child To Start Driving?

Hello brothers and sisters in the house. My comment:

Children/teens of nowadays have alot of opportunities & privileges. One of it is the privilege given to them by their parents. But most of them are misusing this opportunity. I think that before achild should start driving he or she should have reached at least the age 18 years, because they will have matured a little, although not everyone at that age will have been matured in mind & some would have also got matured in mind before the age of 18yrs, because there are some people who are even above teenage level I mean early in late twenties and you still find them behaving childish when

They are supposed to be correcting the teens.

One thing I thought of is that maturity matters most when it comes to driving.

I'll love to hear your own opinion. Thank you.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by Uju4eva(f): 11:24pm On Sep 12, 2006
I know I am not a parent, but my dad wants me to start driving when I am either
17 or 18
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by kiki(f): 2:03am On Sep 13, 2006
15-16 yrs
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by iice(f): 2:25am On Sep 13, 2006
Sometimes you can't monitor it esp in naija, you think say your pikin dey have fun, no know say hin dey drive for road.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by omofineboy(m): 8:16am On Sep 13, 2006
officially on road at 18, I started driving at 18, I will did same to my child.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by kolabode: 1:47pm On Sep 13, 2006
I started at age of 20 because i dont have a strong mind but, my children will start at 16-17.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by queen2(f): 3:41pm On Sep 13, 2006
here u start driving at 17, its the law

there's no certain age in Nigeria, but i think u can start driving at 16.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by Seun(m): 3:51pm On Sep 13, 2006
My child would start driving when she:
- Buys her first car, and
- Is old enough to get a driving license!

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by casper(m): 4:00pm On Sep 13, 2006
some states in america permit children to start driving at the age of 13, 14 but with the aid of an adult above 21 until the kid is 18 then he can drive alone, that is wrong why should a child start driving as soon as the child is a TEENAGER?

that is he couintry that claims to be the best in the world, stupid rules.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by luvlymoi(f): 4:21pm On Sep 13, 2006
15-16
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by Seun(m): 5:02pm On Sep 13, 2006
casper, I don't thing that driving with the aid of an adult over 21 really counts as driving!
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by casper(m): 5:10pm On Sep 13, 2006
seun, in your own words define DRIVING, not in terms of a car just in general
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by yemmydavid(m): 5:48pm On Sep 13, 2006
i started driving at 23 but my chilren would start at d age of 17 / 18 Gods grace
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by nico(m): 5:55pm On Sep 13, 2006
I've been secretly driving since I was 10,
when my family leave me Home Alone
I Drove mainly Porsche because it has automatic gears and I can see through front and rear-view windows
I'm now 15 and I can proudly say I'm an expert in driving.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by idiotsoul: 6:13pm On Sep 13, 2006
When they can afford to buy their own smiley. This is an irony answer but that is the case for me. My brothers and sisters in nigeria drive but not me
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by donjazzie(m): 8:06pm On Sep 13, 2006
officially 18 unofficially 15
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by gigitte(f): 9:58pm On Sep 13, 2006
in nigeria you may get a learners permit at sixteen
and a driver's license at eighteen
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by kiki(f): 10:17pm On Sep 13, 2006
u gte a learners permit in Nigeria? they do dat now?
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by gigitte(f): 1:38am On Sep 14, 2006
they've always done. you just didnt know about it grin
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by hotangel2(f): 6:30am On Sep 14, 2006
I started driving at 15 with my learners permit. Got my lisence at 16. Same thing is gonna happen to my children.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by mamaput(f): 8:51am On Sep 14, 2006
!8 is good enough.
A car is a weapon and you just do not put a weapon in the hands of a child.
In Nigeria you have to be 18 by law. Everyother thing is backdoor method.
In fact if i could i will even increace the age for boys.
Here you get it at 18 and the first two years are on trial. If you Bleep up they take it from you.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by GermanLady(f): 12:14pm On Sep 14, 2006
she can start driving when she has her own money to pay for the expensive driving license ( about 1.500.- €uro) ,the car insurance and the gas for driving - and not one day sooner  grin
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by New(m): 2:42pm On Sep 14, 2006
mamaput:

!8 is good enough.
A car is a weapon and you just do not put a weapon in the hands of a child.
In Nigeria you have to be 18 by law. Everyother thing is backdoor method.
In fact if i could i will even increace the age for boys.
Here you get it at 18 and the first two years are on trial. If you mess up they take it from you.

I went to a driving school and got my Nigerian License legally at 16 (which was the age allowed by law). unofficially started at 12. We might think 'Nigerian driving school, what do they know?' Everything I learnt helped in passing my UK driving test first time when I moved to England.

I think 16 is about right on avg.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by gigitte(f): 4:01pm On Sep 14, 2006
i went to a naija driving school too!
my instructor hated me lol cheesy
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by New(m): 4:51pm On Sep 14, 2006
gigitte:

i went to a naija driving school too!
my instructor hated me lol cheesy

Where was your school?
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by hotangel2(f): 11:55pm On Sep 14, 2006
GermanLady:

she can start driving when she has her own money to pay for the expensive driving license ( about 1.500.- €uro) ,the car insurance and the gas for driving - and not one day sooner  grin

Say what? U pay 1500 euros for drivers lisence? Okay i don't know about that, but apart from my driving school fees which was 350 (which gave me my drivers permit), i think all i had to pay was 20 dollars to get my lisence at the drivers lisence office.

16 is just perfect for me oo. Start learning at 14/15. U get a car at 16 if u are a good child.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by gigitte(f): 12:14am On Sep 15, 2006
AA driving school in dolphin

maybe the bobo was just feening for me grin
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by mamaput(f): 7:37am On Sep 15, 2006
It costs 1500 in Germany if you pass every thing the first time.
But it can also come up to 3000€,
It is not the you pay up to 25/30 € an hour and you must have 20 hours. Plus pther extras.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by GermanLady(f): 7:55am On Sep 15, 2006
mamaput:

It costs 1500 in Germany if you pass every thing the first time.
But it can also come up to 3000€,
It is not the you pay up to 25/30 € an hour and you must have 20 hours. Plus pther extras.

you are absolutely right !!

so it is very expensive - and to start as a beginner when u buy a car ,the insurance is very expensive too.
sometimes I really wonder how 18 yo kids can efford all that since they doesn't make much money at that age.

most of them collect money for birthdays for years from family members so can start driving school when they have the money together.

I remember my licence had cost 750.- DM = 375.- € 25 yrs ago - and THAT was alot of money back then also !
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by Hunter(m): 3:51am On Sep 16, 2006
You can start learning to drive here at 16 (must be supervised by a fully liscenced adult)
At 18 you can get your Probationary licence (solo but your not allowed to drive with any alcohol in your system or a high powered car (125kw per ton (170hp per ton))
then after 3 years you are automatically granted a full license and you can have a BAC of 0.05 and drive any car you want.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Sep 18, 2006
hi guys/gals,
If i can the topic right, i think it borders on age and not the payable fees at driving schools.It may interest you to know that the answer depends on who and with what background.I can see people suggesting 15,16, 17 and so on , forgetting that some people dont get to drive until 25,26,27,28 and so on.I for instance learnt how to drive on my own thru watching my people, cab ,taxis and molue's drivers drive way back when i was 14/15 years,but i took the car out the first time at 17.yet i can convinently tell people that i can drive.The irony of it is that a man of 31 recently saw me driving and told me to come teach him how to drive.That is the different world we live in.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? by mamaput(f): 7:14pm On Sep 18, 2006
It is not you that will tell people you are a good driver, it is people that will tell you.
Am 42 but there are things i can learn from even a 3 year old child. No shame in it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Some Questions To Ask An Installer Before Installing A Car Tracker In Your Car. / A Short Story About My Baby (pictures Included) / 10 Cars That Can Easily Take You Above 320,000 Kilometers - Consumer Reports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.