Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,829 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading (25892 Views)

Senate Bill Recognising Males As Rape Victims Passes Second Reading / Minimum Wage Bill Passes Second Reading At Senate / Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Blue3k2: 4:22pm On Jan 31, 2018
A bill for an Act to amend Federal Character Commission (FCC) Act to give married women the option to choose indigenehip and other related matters passed second reading at the House of Representatives on Wednesday.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Edward Pwajok (Plateau-APC) seeks to address the issue of indigenship of married women in the country. Leading the debate, Pwajok said the extant law was discriminatory against women as a man’s indegenship was never questioned even when he married many wives.

The lawmaker said married women had been subjected to psychological trauma on the legal uncertainty of their indigenous identity in the country.

He added that upon marriage, women’s status remained unclear as to whether they were indigenes of their father’s or husband’s homeland.

According to him, women in public service are usually confronted with the dilemma during promotion into directorate cadre.

“We are witnesses to how the promotion of a female justice was delayed on account of indigenship,” he said. Pwajok said there had been several efforts, including an attempt to alter the constitution to resolve the situation but did not succeed.

The legislator said the culture could be patriarchal but democracy and civilisation should give married women the option of choosing where to belong to.

He noted that if the bill was passed into law, the National Assembly would have solved the problem without altering the constitution.

However, Rep. Sylvester Ogbaga (Ebonyi-PDP) said the bill was misguided, adding that there was no need to allow women to make the choice of indigenship.

He argued that once a woman got married to a man, the two had become one and should share in the origin of the man as presently constituted.

Other legislators contributed against and in favour of the bill. Consequently, the Speaker of the House, Rep. Yakubu Dogara, referred the bill to the Committee on Federal Character for further legislative actions. (NAN)

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/bill-allow-married-women-choose-origin-passes-second-reading/

Front Page: lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Blue3k2: 4:24pm On Jan 31, 2018
Women will likely pick what ever affords them best economic benefit assuming they work government job where this matters.

State of origin is stupid concept anyway. We should just focus on residence just like United States. Example if you move to Texas newly you will pay out of state tuition fee for university. After living her 12 months you qualify for instate tuition just like every other Texan. (Just do it before registration)

Another example I can add is office holding. Hillary Clinton was born and raised in Chicago Illinois but she became a New York Senator because lived their long enough to qualify.

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Greene66: 4:29pm On Jan 31, 2018
What's all the fuss about women history and lives changing over night because of marriage? First it's their name, and also indigeneship?

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by ochobaba(m): 4:29pm On Jan 31, 2018
This is what happen when you vote rogues as law maker, this is misplaced priority,instead of this so called miscreant to be debating on issues that affect national security and economic development they are there debating on irrelevant issue,how I wish the issues could lead to filibuster

46 Likes

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 4:54pm On Jan 31, 2018
God bless the lawmaker that brought this bill.The woman has every right to choose for herself the one she wants.As for the Ebonyi lawmaker he should go and sit down and let the women choose for themselves.I can't believe some of the lawmakers we have in this country are chauvinistic and misogynistic.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by thesicilian: 4:57pm On Jan 31, 2018
Soon we'll have a bill to allow women choose which market they can buy food stuff.
Jobless lawmakers!

23 Likes

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Blue3k2: 5:11pm On Jan 31, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
God bless the lawmaker that brought this bill.The woman has every right to choose for herself the one she wants.As for the Ebonyi lawmaker he should go and sit down and let the women choose for themselves.I can't believe some of the lawmakers we have in this country are chauvinistic and misogynistic.

Which origin would you choose if you had choice and why?

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:55pm On Jan 31, 2018
Blue3k2:

Which origin would you choose if you had choice and why?
Na my papa own.I love my village the people and places are so interesting and fun.Even when I am married na my current location I go still choose no going back.I don't need to be given any choice na my original I go go with any time and day.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Desyner: 5:58pm On Jan 31, 2018
Once they brainwash n convert, they make the she adopt their state. We are not strong enough for some laws yet.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jan 31, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

Can you see what we discussed the first time we met, i said if more women look intoexisting laws and look for ways to make ammendments and improvements,the female gender has a lot to gain, this is good, it helps in many scenarios where marriage becomes hell, " porting " may be necessitated under such conditions, but then expect it to be abused. But then, good luck to you and your sisters. Fantastic bill, you should come up with stuvs like this oh baby lawyer, your generation is counting on you to make a tangible contribution

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 31, 2018
Abeokuta would always be Abeokuta
Aba would remain Aba

6 Likes

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 31, 2018
Nigeria and misplaced priorities. How will this affect the country positively? Is it part of our problems lately? Are the lawmakers this idle that they don't have important bills to work on? This country called Naija don tire person seriously. angry

4 Likes

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 31, 2018
CaptainJeffry:
Nigeria and misplaced priorities. How will this affect the country positively? Is it part of our problems lately? Are the lawmakers this idle that they don't have important bills to work on? This country called Naija don tire person seriously. angry

Shyte i just remembered you, do you still need answer to that dream ?

Your friend's wife's dream
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by zombieTRACKER: 7:50pm On Jan 31, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

Nothing like choosing here
Once you get married
Automatically you are one with your husband

5 Likes

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jan 31, 2018
Jupxter:

Shyte i just remembered you, do you still need answer to that dream ?

Your friend's wife's dream
If the dream na death, my cousin for don die since naa. grin

Oya bring your interpretation come, still valuable. Tnx.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by omonnakoda: 7:54pm On Jan 31, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
I think the bill will be unconstitutional.
The constitution implies men and women are equal and so the converse should apply to men other wise it implies women are not equal
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 31, 2018
CaptainJeffry:
If the dream na death, my cousin for don die since naa. grin

Oya bring your interpretation come, still valuable. Tnx.

Lol. Its not death at all. Its even the reverse na good luck o.

Omg ou force me type, i didnt want to type much

Apparently the guy hasnt been doing the dad's remeberance for a long time, that's even if he did it atall since the man died

The old man is saying i want to "fight " for my son so he can get some blessings that are stuck especially in case of finance and unfinished projects

the dad means to say he's weak at the moment and he cant do much. Tell him to organise a remembrance to the life of his dad, it is best done by a pastor who supervises 3-5k can get it done, and let him watch the difference in everything concerning him over the next one year

The interpretation is sure...I dey sure say the guy will have fluctuations, or his projects dont get completed, i dont want to get super spiritual here, tell him to do a remembrance and watch the result over the next one year...Tell him the spirit pof his dad need to be re-strengthened, he needs to do the remembrance

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by omonnakoda: 7:57pm On Jan 31, 2018
zombieTRACKER:

Nothing like choosing here
Once you get married
Automatically you are one with your husband
By law or by what? We are talking matters of law here which are not subject to whim.
The law in Nigeria applies to everyone whether Muslim Christian or atheist and so must me neutral.
Why not the husband become one with his wife?
Why the wife become one with husband?
What is the underlying philosophy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by omonnakoda: 8:01pm On Jan 31, 2018
The starting point for this should not be wives but children.
In the case of marriage it should apply equally to husband and wife with the additional criteria or habitual residence for a set term in the adoptive state

1 Like

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Demonicide(f): 8:02pm On Jan 31, 2018
Jobless people, is this what is bothering nigerians? Instead of you guys to address meaniful things that will affect our lives positively.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by RUDEBOYY(m): 8:04pm On Jan 31, 2018
plsi do not understand the essence of this bill
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by hammer6F: 8:06pm On Jan 31, 2018
No wonder HausaFulani want to destroy his village.

See the type of Mumu bill a living breathing human being want to promote as law.

Trying to create problem, rather than fix problem.

A woman is an indigene of where she hails from. That is her father origin.

She get married and adopts a shared origin with her spouse.

The two are distinct and validly complementary.

It is as clear as 123.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by sinaj(f): 8:07pm On Jan 31, 2018
Shoro niyen undecided

So this one follow for problem? Smh!
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Koolking(m): 8:08pm On Jan 31, 2018
post=64670197:

Act to give married women the option to choose indigenehip and other related matters passed second reading at the House of Representatives on Wednesday.

Why pay dowry when
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Mekanus(m): 8:11pm On Jan 31, 2018
Motherfuckers, they're busy passing irrelevant bills when we have contending issues at hand.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Pavore9: 8:13pm On Jan 31, 2018
commendable.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by holluphemydavid(m): 8:13pm On Jan 31, 2018
Misplaced priority

1 Like

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jan 31, 2018
Jupxter:

Lol. Its not death at all. Its even the reverse na good luck o.

Omg ou force me type, i didnt want to type much

Apparently the guy hasnt been doing the dad's remeberance for a long time, that's even if he did it atall since the man died

The old man is saying i want to "fight " for my son so he can get some blessings that are stuck especially in case of finance and unfinished projects

the dad means to say he's weak at the moment and he cant do much. Tell him to organise a remembrance to the life of his dad, it is best done by a pastor who supervises 3-5k can get it done, and let him watch the difference in everything concerning him over the next one year

The interpretation is sure...I dey sure say the guy will have fluctuations, or his projects dont get completed, i dont want to get super spiritual here, tell him to do a remembrance and watch the result over the next one year...Tell him the spirit pof his dad need to be re-strengthened, he needs to do the remembrance
Hmmm bro, are you a pastor? Tnx for this insight. The little I know about my cousin and her husband, you just described them. Mehn, Nairaland is blessed with people oo, I'm gonna stop abusing people as a way of having fun. shocked
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by NothingDoMe: 8:14pm On Jan 31, 2018
Blue3k2:
Women will likely pick what ever affords them best economic benefit assuming they work government job where this matters.

State of origin is stupid concept anyway. We sjould just focus on residence just like United States. Example if you move to Texas newly you will pay out of state tuition fee for university. After living her 18 months you wualify for instate tuition just like every other Texan.
Now you are talking.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by miteolu(m): 8:17pm On Jan 31, 2018
All I want is for them to remove state of origin from CV and employment

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yobe Government Apologises For False News On Missing Dapchi Girls / 2023: Ohanaeze, Others Name Amaechi, Umahi, Onu As Best Presidential Candidate / Did US Demand Extradition Of Allen Onyema As Fani-Kayode Claimed? (Fact Check)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.