Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,604 members, 7,827,272 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

8 important Steps To Take When You Are Depresed And Contemplating Suicide(Photo) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 8 important Steps To Take When You Are Depresed And Contemplating Suicide(Photo) (1024 Views)

My Friend Is Contemplating Suicide / Contemplating suicide / I Got 4 Addictions: I Am Contemplating Suicide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 important Steps To Take When You Are Depresed And Contemplating Suicide(Photo) by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 01, 2018
Remember when we used to joke about how suicide isn't a Nigerian thing, that only white people commit suicide? Well recent events have taught us a hard lesson that it's real and happening here with a lots of really young people taking rat poison undecided and hanging themselves cry . I think it's time we start talking about this. Depression is one of the major cause of suicides.

Depression can come from hormonal imbalance, personality traits, hopelessness and lack of affection, relationship, lack of direction for your life. So if you are hit with depression, here is a few things you should do.

Talk to somebody
Talk to your close family and/or friends. Just make sure the people who care about you know that your mood is shifting so that they can be proactive in helping you. This is also important for the health of your personal relationships so that people don’t mistake your depression for a bad mood, which they might take personally. That in turn can result in fights, anger, and isolation, further exacerbating your possible depression.

Prepare a contingency
Have something that is guaranteed to remain you how beautiful life was, and still is. For me it is 19s music and shows. This way, if you
actually do become depressed, you can have a reminder from when you were feeling well about what you like to do and what comforts you. Those things can be hard to conjure up when you’re deeply depressed because your mind tricks you into thinking you don’t like anything.

Accept your mistakes and let your emotions go
What ever you are going through, just know it would pass. Nothing is permanent. You will find love, get a job, and pay that debt. But you shouldn't try to act strong ; cry. When I’m heading toward depression, I often feel like I have to cry but I end up holding it in. Then one day it suddenly feels as if I’ve lost the ability to cry at all. That’s when I know I’m really depressed. So if you have to cry, don’t hold it in. Let yourself cry instead of trying to stuff down the feelings and waiting to just become numb. Cry, shout and call yourself a dummy, break something and shake your emotions. Shout and scream it allow you let off steam.

Join a community
Look for a group with like mind. who encourage and help you out. A group with a goal you believe in and like to pursue. Church fellowship or small cell meetings are great. It's easy to make friends and connect on a personal level with people there. Make sure they are supportive and caring and not toxic.

Monitor and try to influence your moods
Write your moods down throughout the day if you can, or write them down at the end of the day. You can even use one of several apps that have been developed for this purpose. After about a week, you can look back to find any trends. Find out what is causing the sour mood, bad job, bulling, relationship and try to stay away from those. Stay away from the News especially. Try to get up in the morning with a loud happy vibe. I DO SO WITH " Gooooddd MORNING Africa ! WHAT'S COOKING !! " noticed it affects my mood for the rest of the day.

Eat well and hydrate
I know this one always makes the list of healthy habits, and it sounds boring but it makes a huge difference. Especially when we’re feeling down, we tend to reach for carbs and sugar for a quick mood boost. However, this only leave us crashing sooner and feeling even worse. Not to mention it can impact your weight, which could negatively impact your mood. Comfort food is ok in moderation, but make sure that you are eating plenty of vegetables, fruits, proteins, and healthy fats, and drinking plenty of water, in order to keep your brain in tip top shape.

Have a something, goal to look up to
This is important, have something you are looking forward to the next day. Be it the Big brother Naija, a New game, Gardens, Feeding your pets, Chicken farm or cassava farm or some other series shows. It focuses the mind and gives it a mission and a direction. Feeling directionless can hurt your emotional balance and keep you in a spiral of thinking there is nothing in life. Have something you look forward to.

Seek medication There is very important. Although there is little can be done to stop hormonal imbalance but something can be done. bipolar individuals are the worse case scenario even still there is still help with drugs which could help to regulate mood. This is done with a dopamine correction or adjustment although this is not a permanent solution, it would help you live a great life. Seek medical advice if you get depress often please.

AND IF YOU ARE CONTEMPLATING SUICIDE PLEASE KNOW THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE STILL LOVES YOU. Mum , sisters , brothers, Dad , Friends. It is a painful way to go, plus know nobody would ever see you succeed if you take your life now.

Nigeria depression and suicide prevention assistance:

depression and Anxiety: 0800708090

Suicide Crisis Line: 080800567567

********************************************************IMPORTANT*******************************************************

This not my number , and I am not in any way connected to the numbers. Please don't go clog the help lines with stupid messages, and Scam messages, this is for very important purpose. It belong to the government. Thanks.

If you want to say hi. Find me on Twitter ( I don't reply DMs or emails.) Thanks guys.

1 Like

Re: 8 important Steps To Take When You Are Depresed And Contemplating Suicide(Photo) by taylor88(m): 11:26am On Feb 01, 2018
How does the above points save a brother who played 9jabet with his mums money
Re: 8 important Steps To Take When You Are Depresed And Contemplating Suicide(Photo) by beautyhound(m): 12:32pm On Feb 01, 2018
grin But why... why do u use Mourinho's pic na?
Re: 8 important Steps To Take When You Are Depresed And Contemplating Suicide(Photo) by IamShiningStar(f): 1:01pm On Feb 01, 2018
beautyhound:
grin But why... why do u use Mourinho's pic na?
grin[quote author=beautyhound post=64692681] grin nobi small thing oo!

good write-up by the way @op.
Re: 8 important Steps To Take When You Are Depresed And Contemplating Suicide(Photo) by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 20, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Annoyed With Gf's Sister. Help!!! / Pls I Need To Talk To A Psychologist, I'm Suicidal. / I Can't Believe I Was Born Without My Permission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.