Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,379 members, 7,829,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings (39640 Views)

18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings / 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings / Ambode Solving Lagos Traffic Problems With Common Sense (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Authoreety: 12:53pm On Feb 02, 2018
MetroBaba1:

Lalasticlala, Oya Cut Your Hand Enter Front Page
lols, uncle ur psycho get swag

3 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by dejonathan(f): 12:53pm On Feb 02, 2018
Toflez:
is FIGO not referred to as #50
Noo
5h nio

2 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Balkan(m): 12:56pm On Feb 02, 2018
Abeg wetin "your side" mean inside bus?

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by sisisioge: 12:57pm On Feb 02, 2018
grin grin grin

That cut your hand is everywhere o. I remember when my friend just got a car, I was her navigator. Cut your hand, yiwo e, gborisi, wolewa...na so nau.

8 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by talk2percy(m): 12:59pm On Feb 02, 2018
Lagos sef..her wahala too much
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Stevengerd(m): 12:59pm On Feb 02, 2018
Shadow ur passenger joor! Gbogbo Ero

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by dasphinx1(m): 1:00pm On Feb 02, 2018
Oya yiwo e soun!!!! Gbori e, wo egbe e, ma goor ...grin I miss Gidi sha.. Abuja has made me sane again cheesy

8 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by oyoofong(m): 1:00pm On Feb 02, 2018
CONDUCTOR SIDE-DRIVE TOWARDS WHERE THE CONDUCTOR IS HANGING
2.DRIVER SIDE;DRIVE TOWARDS WHERE THE DRIVER SIDE.
3-POINTER-

2 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by IVORY2009(m): 1:00pm On Feb 02, 2018
madridguy:
grin grin

Aleye baba cheesy bawo?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 02, 2018
nams77:
Teto the car small/ March the teto
grin grin grin Na confirm driver you be..
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by prolifik83(m): 1:06pm On Feb 02, 2018
ETILA100:
your side
You will buy a car this year.

3 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by GoodMuyis(m): 1:08pm On Feb 02, 2018
blackfase:
@op, u got 7.5/10. Wazo coined from wazobia, which is d representation of d 3 major tribes as embedded on d 50 naira note. Oya clap for yourself

Marginalization
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Burgerlomo: 1:12pm On Feb 02, 2018
Error spoted, alaaye means living cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by booblacain(m): 1:13pm On Feb 02, 2018
I may be wrong about this but I think Figo used to be an international footballer that played the number 5 jersey for his team.

I also think the word Agbero originaly meant boys that carried loads for market women.
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Yomboy4ever(m): 1:17pm On Feb 02, 2018
One chance one chance nko..?
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by rita25(f): 1:20pm On Feb 02, 2018
STAFF meaning uniform personnel who wont pay their fare grin

10 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Electronzeez(m): 1:21pm On Feb 02, 2018
Don't get it twisted. alaye in your context does not mean "the living", it means "guy man ".

Alaye "the living has a different pronunciation to alaye "guy man".

2 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Deo1986(m): 1:23pm On Feb 02, 2018
Lagos slangs sucks! tongue Porthacourt slangs is the real thing: aro wida, aboy bless me, nak agban, tuwama, adjust yoursef, rubbers, give me joy, ojor, parambus,, clamp, touch, government Etc. No interpretation! Figure them out yourselves grin

4 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by thunderbabs: 1:26pm On Feb 02, 2018
Ur side

Conductor tells driver to either watch traffic coming from behind him or d driver shld switch lane

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Nobody: 1:27pm On Feb 02, 2018
The last one (Cut your hand)

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Timoleon(m): 1:31pm On Feb 02, 2018
Toflez:
is FIGO not referred to as #50
no sir...that wazobia or waso for shorts. Figo LA 500

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by rawtouch: 1:34pm On Feb 02, 2018
wole kan ile..

na this one make molue deh enter inside water that year.. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Timoleon(m): 1:35pm On Feb 02, 2018
booblacain:
I may be wrong about this but I think Figo used to be an international footballer that played the number 5 jersey for his team.

I also think the word Agbero originaly meant boys that carried loads for market women.

figo used to wear 7 hence the comparison with cr7. Agbero on the other hand is not about load...it's about people, meaning convener of people or crowd. Thats what they claim to collect money for...for helping you ensure you get people in your bus.

3 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by obidevine(m): 1:39pm On Feb 02, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
Nigerians would always be peculiar people.Thats what makes the country fun and distracts us from all the wahala .

If you are coming to Nigeria or Lagos for the first time , this would be very helpful.

Here are some slangs we won’t stop saying anytime soon .

Go Slow
This is the way we say “traffic jam” in Naija . I dey inside go slow .

Drop
This has two meanings, it means hailing a taxi and riding in it alone to your destination. It also means alighting from a bus or taxi.

Fockanizer
Well, nothing much to say here, its Vulcanizer people .

Rewire
“Rewire” is actually an action , the person doing the rewiring should be called an electrician , not a rewire, my country pipo !.

Bomber
Its “bumper” folks , haha .

Men In Black
This refers to the police , the popo , the Nigerian Police Force .

Agbero
This word doesnt really mean something abusive , it can be translated as “Carrier of people /carrier of crowd” .But the madness of the agberos has made the word abusive.So it means conductors, tax collectors , infact any tout and their species .

Alaye
From my little understanding of Yoruba , alaye means “the living” “alive” “lively” ,but the way its used is similar to the way Americans call their friends “nigga” or “brah” or “bro” .

Gberaa
It means “move” or “move fast” or “drive” .

Figo
Danfo slang for 500 Naira .I am still confused how they coined this name .

Shandi/Muri
Danfo slang for 20 Naira . Muri-> Muritala Mohammed on the note

Waso/Wazo
Danfo slang for 50 Naira .Coined from two out of the three major ethnic group’s intepretation of “come” .

Wa= Yoruba

Zo=Hausa

Faiba/Fiber
Danfo slang for 10 Naira

Cut Your Hand
This one cracks me up every time .It means “turn the steering wheel” .

Was I spot on ? see any errors ? add yours .

by Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/15-funny-lagos-traffic-auto-slangs/

The slang "shandy" for 20 naira note was adapted from the drink Green Sands Shandy because the colour of the bottle was green so was the color of the drink. You know the 20 naira note is also green.

This is where the name " shandy" came from.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Frachidah: 1:42pm On Feb 02, 2018
kparo lo...

2 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Tobycharles: 1:50pm On Feb 02, 2018
#50 is 'better (life)' is another name in Ibadan

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by iyaegin: 2:00pm On Feb 02, 2018
lemon...slow down to change lanes

one naira: One thousand Naira

ma ka na: dont observe am driving wrongly pretend to ignore..
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Kenturkey048(m): 2:00pm On Feb 02, 2018
one lucky Yansh......*meaning one last seat*

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by AleAirHub(m): 2:02pm On Feb 02, 2018
CUT YOUR HAND GO LEFT /RIGHT.

DRIVER FAST NA.

ABEG CHANGE POSTION.

YELLOW FEVER DEY ROAD.

PUT ARM FOR BOOT

This one wick me die grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures From My Trip To Singapore / Road Construction In Abuja By Ebeano Supermarket (Photos) / Vehicle Conveying A Corpse Catches Fire Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.