Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,425 members, 7,830,133 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings (39643 Views)

18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings / 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings / Ambode Solving Lagos Traffic Problems With Common Sense (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by otipoju(m): 2:05pm On Feb 02, 2018
Alaye means...owners of the world in this sense

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by udoka2013: 2:14pm On Feb 02, 2018
#50 is called 'white'[color=#990000][/color]
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by fanedrive(m): 2:17pm On Feb 02, 2018
money121:
Oshaa prapra (mean brand new)

Eko lo pe ibi grin grin
you too current my guy grin

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Obdk: 2:19pm On Feb 02, 2018
ETILA100:
your side
means driver go...
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Obdk: 2:20pm On Feb 02, 2018
Balkan:
Abeg wetin "your side" mean inside bus?

if bus full. conductor go tell driver. your side. meaning make dem dey go..

or make driver go front

can mean to switch lane
to watch wetin d next car dey drive

3 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Obdk: 2:24pm On Feb 02, 2018
50. waso or white
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by madridguy(m): 2:34pm On Feb 02, 2018
Am loyal to your order boss. Long time?

IVORY2009:

Aleye baba cheesy bawo?
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by dejavuh0007(m): 2:37pm On Feb 02, 2018
See ur money for bus stop= see passengers for bus stop grin

4 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by debolayinka(m): 2:47pm On Feb 02, 2018
MetroBaba1:

Lalasticlala, Oya Cut Your Hand Enter Front Page

Na Lala pishure be dat?
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by wheezyoung(m): 2:50pm On Feb 02, 2018
Toflez:
is FIGO not referred to as #50
its 500
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by uglodoh(f): 2:59pm On Feb 02, 2018
Toflez:
is FIGO not referred to as #50
it is 500 hundred Naira. N50 is white or wazo
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Kendrick80(m): 3:00pm On Feb 02, 2018
Driver duo- driver stop d vehicle
Driver revise- reverse
Wash ur side - rear view
Wo le pelu chanji - pls enter with exact fare
Driver go on - driver move
Wash wash - be focus

2 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by s33d(m): 3:26pm On Feb 02, 2018
Enter with your change o

if una no get change, i go marry una

Parole lo jor

Alaba Suuuru

Iyanaba Volks

Answer your bustop o

i need a translator abeg

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by drlaykay(m): 3:27pm On Feb 02, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
Nigerians would always be peculiar people.Thats what makes the country fun and distracts us from all the wahala .

If you are coming to Nigeria or Lagos for the first time , this would be very helpful.

Here are some slangs we won’t stop saying anytime soon .

Go Slow
This is the way we say “traffic jam” in Naija . I dey inside go slow .

Drop
This has two meanings, it means hailing a taxi and riding in it alone to your destination. It also means alighting from a bus or taxi.

Fockanizer
Well, nothing much to say here, its Vulcanizer people .

Rewire
“Rewire” is actually an action , the person doing the rewiring should be called an electrician , not a rewire, my country pipo !.

Bomber
Its “bumper” folks , haha .

Men In Black
This refers to the police , the popo , the Nigerian Police Force .

Agbero
This word doesnt really mean something abusive , it can be translated as “Carrier of people /carrier of crowd” .But the madness of the agberos has made the word abusive.So it means conductors, tax collectors , infact any tout and their species .

Alaye
From my little understanding of Yoruba , alaye means “the living” “alive” “lively” ,but the way its used is similar to the way Americans call their friends “nigga” or “brah” or “bro” .

Gberaa
It means “move” or “move fast” or “drive” .

Figo
Danfo slang for 500 Naira .I am still confused how they coined this name .

Shandi/Muri
Danfo slang for 20 Naira . Muri-> Muritala Mohammed on the note

Waso/Wazo
Danfo slang for 50 Naira .Coined from two out of the three major ethnic group’s intepretation of “come” .

Wa= Yoruba

Zo=Hausa

Faiba/Fiber
Danfo slang for 10 Naira

Cut Your Hand
This one cracks me up every time .It means “turn the steering wheel” .

Was I spot on ? see any errors ? add yours .

by Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/15-funny-lagos-traffic-auto-slangs/

Your fiber is wrong
Fiber is removing the last zero and calling the sum like that.
E.g- ten fibre is one hundred naira.
20 fibre is 200 naira.
1 fibre is 10naira

3 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by kayalla(f): 3:51pm On Feb 02, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
Nigerians would always be peculiar people.Thats what makes the country fun and distracts us from all the wahala .

If you are coming to Nigeria or Lagos for the first time , this would be very helpful.

Go Slow

Drop
This has two meanings, it means hailing a taxi and riding in it alone to your destination. It also means alighting from a bus or taxi.

Fockanizer

Rewire
“Rewire” is actually an action , the person doing the rewiring should be called an electrician , not a rewire, my country pipo !.

Bomber

Men In Black

Agbero
This word doesnt really mean something abusive , it can be translated as “Carrier of people /carrier of crowd” .But the madness of the agberos has made the word abusive.So it means conductors, tax collectors , infact any tout and their species .

Alaye
From my little understanding of Yoruba , alaye means “the living” “alive” “lively” ,but the way its used is similar to the way Americans call their friends “nigga” or “brah” or “bro” .

Gberaa

Figo

Shandi/Muri

Waso/Wazo
Danfo slang for 50 Naira .Coined from two out of the three major ethnic group’s intepretation of “come” .

Wa= Yoruba

Zo=Hausa

Faiba/Fiber
Danfo slang for 10 Naira

Cut Your Hand

by Donald3d

reverse back... grin

4 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by BerryAnny(m): 4:08pm On Feb 02, 2018
Normally, it can also mean trailing some one....
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Axis313(m): 4:10pm On Feb 02, 2018
Pavore9:
"Wole pelu change o" gets me angry! angry
It's every time dem never get change.

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by trevorhorace(m): 4:23pm On Feb 02, 2018
egbedakejalong!! wole pelu 10 fiber!

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Disneylady(f): 4:50pm On Feb 02, 2018
drlaykay:
Your fiber is wrong Fiber is removing the last zero and calling the sum like that. E.g- ten fibre is one hundred naira. 20 fibre is 200 naira. 1 fibre is 10naira
He's still right about the fiber.

2 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by drlaykay(m): 5:17pm On Feb 02, 2018
Disneylady:

He's still right about the fiber.
Oh, now I see. Multiplier effect
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by nams77: 5:17pm On Feb 02, 2018
dumo1:

grin grin grin Na confirm driver you be..
I tell you bro. Wetin persin never hear grin

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by benqo01(m): 5:28pm On Feb 02, 2018
i love lagos no place like lag

2 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by solidmyk(m): 6:10pm On Feb 02, 2018
Gbera - Turnup
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by darlenese(f): 6:17pm On Feb 02, 2018
we wafferians know these slangs , we even have more sef
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by bigtt76(f): 6:23pm On Feb 02, 2018
Twale (pronounced - Twa-Lay) - Hailings by the boys grin

My side - Conductor telling driver to turn towards his side of the road

Your side - Conductor telling driver to remain on the road

Oti yaa weree - Driver/conductor insulting an errant road user. It means you're going mad

Ma kpa iya eeee - Driver/conductor insulting an errant road user or passenger causing them trouble. It means I will kill your mother

Iya la ya eee - - Driver/conductor insulting an errant road user. It means your grand mother

AutoJoshNG:

Go Slow

Drop

Fockanizer

Rewire

Bomber

Men In Black

Agbero

Alaye

Gberaa

Figo

Shandi/Muri

Waso/Wazo

Wa= Yoruba

Zo=Hausa

Faiba/Fiber
Danfo slang for 10 Naira

Cut Your Hand

by Donald3d

2 Likes

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by GetUmad: 7:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
My car - meticulous lagos private driver (this is very popular among them to insult anyone driving a private car whom they believe doesn't have the Lagos driving skills)
Shadow or watch - observe ahead or around
Kawa- Move on
Shana si motor - ignite the engine
Adjust yansh - - we all know wetin e mean
Staff - Anyone who's deemed to be on a free ride. Especially the Uniformed officers and their fellow Agberos or drivers/bus conductors. If you want to enjoy free rides, just board any danfo and tell them Heys wohs Alaye, Staff. Hope you'd live your share the experience

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by olatex25(m): 8:03pm On Feb 02, 2018
Timoleon:

no sir...that wazobia or waso for shorts. Figo LA 500
#50 is sometimes called "white"...
Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by joyfullyjoyous(f): 8:08pm On Feb 02, 2018
Askari,I don collect No now. I be No 9.

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by revelation2013(m): 8:47pm On Feb 02, 2018
Burgerlomo:
Error spoted, alaaye means living cool

All of you are wrong with this.

Alaye means the owner of the world. "Eniti o ni aye". Also meaning the one in control and does what he likes.

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by gift01: 8:51pm On Feb 02, 2018
How can you all miss 'Wole Wa'. It means to change lane to the conductors side

1 Like

Re: 14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings by Timoleon(m): 9:10pm On Feb 02, 2018
olatex25:
#50 is sometimes called "white"...
true shandy is green #20

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Road Construction In Abuja By Ebeano Supermarket (Photos) / Vehicle Conveying A Corpse Catches Fire Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (video) / Pictures From My Trip To Singapore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.