Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,989 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World (33899 Views)

‘Southeast has highest rate of abuse’ - NHRC / Lagos State Has Highest Foreign Debt In The Country- DMO / Nigeria Overtakes India As Country With Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by LRNZH(m): 9:08am On Feb 05, 2018

According to the 2018 World Poverty Clock Report, 85 million people or 45% of Nigeria's population are extremely poor, meaning that these people cannot afford to live above the international poverty line of $1.90 (680 Naira) a day.

The worrying sign is that the number is increasing absolutely and as a percentage of Nigeria's population.

In 2017 the number was 79 million Nigerians (43% of population).
In 2016, it was 73 million (40%).

The World Poverty Clock provides real-time poverty estimates until 2030 for almost every country in the world. It monitors progress against Ending Extreme Poverty, which is the UN’s first Sustainable Development Goal (SDG1). The escape rate calculates the current rate of poverty reduction in the world.

Source: http://worldpoverty.io

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by LRNZH(m): 9:09am On Feb 05, 2018
More than India... cry

PS. Below, Tope is correct in Nigeria been number one in sheer numbers. He is however, incorrect on percentage.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by 12submarine(m): 9:10am On Feb 05, 2018
Nigerians are truly poor in the midst of plenty. Thanks to our politicians. Resource control is the key to national development, let's embrace it. Restructuring is not even the way out if it is such that Peter is still being robbed to pay Paul because Paul will keep dragging Peter back.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by 12submarine(m): 9:13am On Feb 05, 2018
LRNZH:
More than India... cry
Nigerians have high number of extremely poor people, but don't tell me just 6 percent of Indians are in the extremely poor category, that is a white lie.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by horsepower101: 9:14am On Feb 05, 2018
It will only get worse. Waiting for the coming crash of oil... Thats when Nigeria will know how cursed this country really is.

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by trillville(m): 9:15am On Feb 05, 2018
This should be on the front page. It seems the poverty rate has even accelerated from about negative 6 percent late last year to negative 8 percent this year. Sai baba.

Look at the chats again. The rate actually has gotten better for 8 percent to 6 percent.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by trillville(m): 9:16am On Feb 05, 2018
12submarine:

Nigerians have high number of extremely poor people, but don't tell me just 6 percent of Indians are in the extremely poor category, that is a white lie.
There are over a billion Indians. 6 percent equates to over 70 million people

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by luvinhubby(m): 9:18am On Feb 05, 2018
God please help Nigeria, forgive our foolishness in electing a man against Your will.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by LRNZH(m): 9:18am On Feb 05, 2018
12submarine:

I don't think you are current on India's progress. India has improved significantly. Current estimates are that India will overcome China in the future both in economy and population.

Do you realise that Nigerians go to India for medical tourism? Most imported drugs today are from India.

Moreover, this about 'extreme poverty'. 82 million Indians cannot afford 680 Naira a day. It is not small even though it is 6% of India's over 1.3 Billion population.

51 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by horsepower101: 9:19am On Feb 05, 2018
In the coming years, some people will look at the suffering going on today and call it the good old days.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by 12submarine(m): 9:19am On Feb 05, 2018
trillville:
There are over a billion Indians. 6 percent equates to over 70 million people
Are you telling me that India which is one of the poorest countries in the world has just 6 percent of her population in penury? What percentage of American is poor then. Some researches are obviously lies.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by 12submarine(m): 9:21am On Feb 05, 2018
LRNZH:

I don't think you are current on India's progress. India has improved significantly. Current estimates are that India will overcome China in the future both in economy and population.

Do you realise that Nigerians go to India for medical tourism? Most imported drugs today are from India.

Moreover, this about 'extreme poverty'. 82 million Indians cannot afford 680 Naira a day. It is not small even though it is 6% of India's over 1.3 Billion population.
I don't know much about India, but just 6 percent being poor is a a white lie.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by Ngokafor(f): 9:22am On Feb 05, 2018
All thanks to buhar/APC..

Unfortunately,no one is talking about that now cos people are fighting for their lives and trying to survive the murderous herdsmen whom are buharis kith and kins empowered by the government.

21 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by horsepower101: 9:23am On Feb 05, 2018
12submarine:

Oga there is a difference between poor and extremely poor. please think before you argue.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by 12submarine(m): 9:24am On Feb 05, 2018
horsepower101:

Oga there is a difference between poor and extremely poor. please think before you argue.
In any case, that statement is a white lie.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by DrRasheed: 9:25am On Feb 05, 2018
Few clueless bastards sitting in one corner of beach uploading nonsense to divert attention.
What of south Sudan, central Africa, Chad, Afghan, Mali and even India etc.

This is inconsiderate nd lies.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by MrMaestro: 9:27am On Feb 05, 2018
12submarine:

Are you telling me that India which is one of the poorest countries in the world has just 6 percent of her population in penury? What percentage of American is poor then. Some researches are obviously lies.
Agreed. I know many Nigerians are poor, and that we should be fixing this, but these stats don't add up. Not to mention places like South Sudan and Mali

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by LRNZH(m): 9:28am On Feb 05, 2018
12submarine:

You sound ignorant when you make statements like that. You don't know about India's progress but you are arguing about the numbers.

According to Wikipedia, India's economy became the world's fastest growing major economy surpassing China since 2015

Do you realise that Indians are taking over the US tech sector? Why do you think Trump is clamping down on H1 visas?

Moreover, the operative word here is EXTREMELY poor. Go and educate yourself before you start spewing rubbish in public

48 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by MrMaestro: 9:29am On Feb 05, 2018
DrRasheed:
Few clueless bastards sitting in one corner of beach uploading nonsense to divert attention.
What of south Sudan, central Africa, Chad, Afghan, etc.
Exactly. I made a similar comment without even seeing yours. Either Nigeria is the worst with actually documented statistics, or this is just false. Also, more than 6% of India is in abject poverty, I don't care what their stats say.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by DrRasheed: 9:31am On Feb 05, 2018
LRNZH:

You sound ignorant when you make statements like that. You don't know about India's progress but you are arguing about the numbers.

According to Wikipedia, India's economy became the world's fastest growing major economy surpassing China since 2015

Do you realise that Indians are taking over the US tech sector? Why do you think Trump is clamping down on H1 visas?

Go and educate yourself before you start spewinf rubbish in public
Indian bloggers are patriot, always telling lies about India while we all know the obvious.
u can't differentiate wiki result nd bloggers post ??

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by trillville(m): 9:32am On Feb 05, 2018
12submarine:

Please note. Extreme poverty implies living on about $1.75 per day. This equates to about $52.5 in a month which is equal to 18900 naira per month

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by MrMaestro: 9:33am On Feb 05, 2018
LRNZH:

Umm, I don't know why you're so pained. You're not Indian, and you're definitely not correct. India is in no way shape or form the fastest growing economy in the world. Your statistics are broken.

http://www.businessinsider.com/world-bank-fast-growing-global-economies-2015-6?IR=T

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by horsepower101: 9:33am On Feb 05, 2018
12submarine:

In any case, that statement is a white lie.

1) the data that you provided is from 6 years ago

2) It includes both the poor and extremely poor.

3) There is an internationally recognized difference between POOR and Extremely POOR.

4) The original post is focusing on the Extremely POOR only. Not all poor people

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by 12submarine(m): 9:34am On Feb 05, 2018
LRNZH:

You are talking about number in extreme poverty not the country with good economic growth. For the country with the highest number of people living in extreme poverty in the world, Nigeria is not the highest. Again, that 6 percent of Indians in extreme poverty is a very big lie. I watched one documentary where some Indians eat directly from gutters. Are you telling me about 80 million Nigerians live that life? Abeggi

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by DrRasheed: 9:35am On Feb 05, 2018
MrMaestro:

Exactly. I made a similar comment without even seeing yours. Either Nigeria is the worst with actually documented statistics, or this is just false. Also, more than 6% of India is in abject poverty, I don't care what their stats say.
Yeah it contradict the common senses. a greater percent of Indians are beggars living in shanties.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by dlondonbadboy: 9:36am On Feb 05, 2018
This is not a country......Buhari come still join

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by trillville(m): 9:37am On Feb 05, 2018
MrMaestro:
Agreed. I know many Nigerians are poor, and that we should be fixing this, but these stats don't add up. Not to mention places like South Sudan and Mali
What is the total population of people in South Sudan or Mali. We are talking about highest number of poor people

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by MrMaestro: 9:39am On Feb 05, 2018
DrRasheed:

Yeah it contradict the common senses. a greater percent of Indians are beggars living in shanties.
Exactly. Most people don't know anything about India. They just think they're the next China, which is just not going to happen (nobody will have the growth China had honestly). They have a large population and they're industrializing. But they are no where near China yet. Especially when it comes to poverty reduction. Heck, some places in Nigeria are cleaner than New Delhi.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by 12submarine(m): 9:39am On Feb 05, 2018
horsepower101:

1) the data that you provided is from 6 years ago

2) It includes both the poor and extremely poor.

3) There is an internationally recognized difference between POOR and Extremely POOR.

4) The original post is focusing on the Extremely POOR only. Not all poor people
Population of India is over a billion, and India is one of the poorest countries in the world. Good number of them are beggars. If Nigeria has 80 million in abject poverty, India should have at least 200 millions. Stop supporting falsehood because of your hatred for Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by horsepower101: 9:40am On Feb 05, 2018
trillville:
What is the total population of people in South Sudan or Mali. We are talking about highest number of poor people

Agreed but more specifically, extremely poor people which is what the focus of the article is all about. It not just about the poor.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by MrMaestro: 9:40am On Feb 05, 2018
trillville:
well the op mentioned "highest percentage". So I actually am unsure of what metric is being used here.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World by trillville(m): 9:40am On Feb 05, 2018
According to the world poverty clock, over 40 Indians are escaping extreme poverty every minute, where as 6 nigerians are entering extreme poverty every minute. This is based on GDP growth and other indices.

16 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#OBJWhereIsThePower?: Nigerians Join President Buhari To Ask Ex President (Photo / Wike Reapproves Port Harcourt Stadium For Atiku / Fatima Abdullahi Ganduje, First Class Graduate Daughter Of Kano Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.