Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon (1813 Views)

Facts About The New BRT Buses In Lagos - Photos / 10 Facts About Nnewi The Nigerian Village With The Most Billionaires / World Facts, Rare Images and Amazing Serenity (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by just2endowed: 10:48am On Feb 08, 2018
Harvest moon, blue moon, full moon, crescent moon - there’s something romantic about the lovely Moon. And not just when it’s Noel Fielding with shaving cream on his face in the Mighty Boosh. Here are some staggering facts about our benevolent protector in the night sky.

1. The Moon isn’t a sphere
The Moon’s egg-shaped. When you look at it, you are actually looking at one of the small ends. And it’s wonky - its centre of mass is not right in the geometric centre, it’s 1.2 miles off the centre.

2. We’re never seeing all of it
At any one time we are only seeing 59% of the Moon. The remaining 41% can never be seen from Earth. And if you don’t believe us, if you went up to space and stood on the hidden 41% you wouldn’t be able to see the Earth!

3. The Blue Moon was the result of a volcano
The term ‘blue moon’ is believed to have originated in 1883 after the eruption of Krakatoa. So much dust floated in the atmosphere that when you looked at it, the Moon looked blue. Obviously this was so unusual the phrase “once in a blue moon” indicates something that happens very rarely.

4. Blowing up the Moon
The U.S. seriously contemplated detonating a nuclear weapon on the Moon. The idea was that this would be a show of strength that would allow the U.S. to flex its military muscle in front of the Russians and intimidate them into backing down. The secret project was named 'A Study of Lunar Research Flights’, or 'Project A119’.

5. Eclipse caused by a dragon
An ancient Chinese belief dictates that a solar eclipse was caused by a dragon swallowing the sun. In response, they made as much noise as possible during an eclipse to frighten the dragon away. They also believed that a huge toad lived on the Moon, sitting in a crater. The Moon’s craters are actually caused by space rocks bashing into it around 4.1 billion years ago.

6. The Moon is slowing us down
When the Moon is closest to Earth, what’s called its perigee, spring tides are higher. These are called perigean spring tides. Some of the rotational energy of the Earth is stolen by the Moon, and that is causing Earth to slow down by around 1.5 milliseconds every century.

7. The light of the Moon
The sun is 14 magnitudes brighter than the full moon. For a full moon to shine with the same brightness as the sun, you’d need 398,110 Moons. During a lunar eclipse when the Moon moves into the Earth's shadow, the surface temperature of the Moon can drop around 500 degrees Fahrenheit in less than 90 minutes.

8. Leonardo da Vinci realised what the crescent was
When the Moon appears as a crescent, what we’re seeing is sunlight illuminating a sliver of the Moon. The rest of the Moon is only very dimly visible depending on weather conditions. Leonardo da Vinci was the first recorded person to realise that the Moon was not shrinking and expanding, some of it was just hidden.

9. Naming the Moon
The International Astronomical Union names Moon craters, and all other astronomical objects. Moon craters are generally given the names of notable scientists, artists or explorers. The craters around the Apollo crater and the Mare Moscoviense are named after American astronauts and Russian cosmonauts.

There’s so much we don’t know about the Moon. But we know more than these people: in a survey conducted in 1988, 13% of those surveyed by the Lowell Observatory of Flagstaff, Arizona, believed that the Moon was made of cheese. In 1988. We’ll just leave that there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1nnbBxFzw5BxqvpshGhfJmD/nine-out-of-this-world-facts-about-the-moon
Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by good4all40: 2:12pm On Feb 08, 2018
Nice writeup
Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by just2endowed: 12:30am On Feb 09, 2018
The moon is not as spherical as thought
Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by Evangkatsoulis: 9:34am On Feb 09, 2018
Kingsango, what do you have to say about this?
Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by KingSango(m): 11:11am On Feb 09, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:
Kingsango, what do you have to say about this?

All lies the Moon is a flaming light as is her twin the Sun. Sun-Go. You can't blow it up.

ASE

Love Sango
Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by just2endowed: 3:44pm On Feb 11, 2018
KingSango:

All lies the Moon is a flaming light as is her twin the Sun. Sun-Go. You can't blow it up.

ASE

Love Sango

Lol
Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by KingSango(m): 5:09pm On Feb 11, 2018
just2endowed:

Lol

Lol means love of Lucifer. The logo of Google is the seal of Lucifer. The tech guys at Google, in Suunyvale, CA used to promote this online until Lol became confused with meaning laughing but it's a salute to Lucifer.
Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by Nobody: 8:53pm On Feb 11, 2018
KingSango:

Lol means love of Lucifer. The logo of Google is the seal of Lucifer. The tech guys at Google, in Suunyvale, CA used to promote this online until Lol became confused with meaning laughing but it's a salute to Lucifer.

I disagree with your claims lol means laughing out loud
Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by KingSango(m): 8:58pm On Feb 11, 2018
Justice96:

I disagree with your claims lol means laughing out loud

Of course you would disagree because majority of Africans don't stand for justice today but the status quo. Even when told you are apart of something evil and sinister, due to no fault of your own, you refuse to retreat despite being warned.

1 Share

Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by Nobody: 12:12am On Feb 12, 2018
KingSango:

Of course you would disagree because majority of Africans don't stand for justice today but the status quo. Even when told you are apart of something evil and sinister, due to no fault of your own, you refuse to retreat despite being warned.

Yes i still stand on my word because am not easily tossed Hecter sceter by the deception and philosophy of men, while i might agree with you on the injustice in Africa am totally disappointed in your level of inmaturity linking it to my name. I expect you to respond to my opinions without any means of insult, we have bigger problems than this so if u think you are just enough start from your manners because it cost less than lol and Google. Do you put on vasace designers? Well if you don't i do until i realized their logo represents the head of Medusa Greek female goddess so i stop. How many can you avoid, unless am wrong i guess you are using an android phone who owns Android? Is it not Google or can you tell me you have nothing in common with the company? even the Christmas, Newyear and birthdays you are celebrating are not of Christian origin if you do proper research. You should be worried about morals and ethics of the youths and risk of living in this dead country Nigeria with buried government not lol and Google ... Unless you are not in Nigeria
Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by KingSango(m): 12:38am On Feb 12, 2018
Justice96:

Yes i still stand on my word because am not easily tossed Hecter sceter by the deception and philosophy of men, while i might agree with you on the injustice in Africa am totally disappointed in your level of inmaturity linking it to my name. I expect you to respond to my opinions without any means of insult, we have bigger problems than this so if u think you are just enough start from your manners because it cost less than lol and Google. Do you put on vasace designers? Well if you don't i do until i realized their logo represents the head of Medusa Greek female goddess so i stop. How many can you avoid, unless am wrong i guess you are using an android phone who owns Android? Is it not Google or can you tell me you have nothing in common with the company? even the Christmas, Newyear and birthdays you are celebrating are not of Christian origin if you do proper research. You should be worried about morals and ethics of the youths and risk of living in this dead country Nigeria with buried government not lol and Google ... Unless you are not in Nigeria

You challenged my point of view thus opening yourself up to attack. I hold no sympathy for trouble makers, be it maybe you are just playing around on NL. I am not here for games. I am destroying illusions. If you go out in the woods where men are hunting lions please no roaring. grin

Ase

Love Sango

1 Like

Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 12, 2018
[quote author=KingSango post=64988431]

You challenged my point of view thus opening yourself up to attack. I hold no sympathy for trouble makers, be it maybe you are just playing around on NL. I am not here for games. I am destroying illusions. If you go out in the woods where men are hunting lions please no roaring. grin

Ase

Lol everyone is entitled to his opinion besides everyone wants to see Monica's nekadnes but nobody wants to see her xray, this is NL bro so grow up. Peace out
Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by KingSango(m): 1:13pm On Feb 12, 2018
[quote author=Justice96 post=64992483][/quote]

Nowadays Monica is transgender because of Lol worship.

ASE

Love Sango

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by just2endowed: 6:12pm On Apr 06, 2020
Interesting
Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by seunlayi(m): 2:18am On Apr 07, 2020
Quite educative
Re: Nine Out Of This World Facts About The Moon by just2endowed: 12:54am On Apr 22, 2020
seunlayi:
Quite educative
Yep

(1) (Reply)

My Skin Colour / I Want To Study In Cyprus / Your Candid Advise Is Need My Fellow Nd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.