Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane (6395 Views)

My Near Crash Experience With Arik Air Yesterday / Emirates Plane Collides With Hak-air Plane During Take-off At Lagos Airport / Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by chika98: 12:55am On Apr 22, 2010
190:

no na angel mustafa!

lmao@ angle Micheal comment.
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by sandee575(f): 11:06am On Apr 22, 2010
Vicjustice
United States of AFGHANISTAN

Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane
« #63 on: Today at 12:42:24 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: THE AMAKA on Today at 12:32:53 AM
i hope you know who you're talking to. lol
let's just say, he KNOWS what he's talking about

Amaka, i have not the least idea who this individual is, Can you tell who he is?

The DANA airplane that was involved in the birdstrike was not a glider. A glider is designed to fly without engine power, hence it is towed up by another powered airplane and released to fly on a hot day in thermal currents which basically are updraughts caused by warm rising air which provide it with the lift
the glider pilot relies on to sustain its flight manouvres. DANA was a medium heavy twin engine jet transport plane. With a loss of both engines, it lacks the light weight and aerodynamic design to sustain flight without initiating a descent so as to maintain an airspeed above its stall speed. This is achievable but with a high rate of descent and depending on the altitude this occurs, i leave the rest to your imagination.
Thanks Amaka. All forgiven now
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by labiyemmy(m): 11:44am On Apr 22, 2010
I can see so many illetrates on NairaLand.
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by VOR(m): 2:13pm On Apr 22, 2010
@labiyemmy:

I can see so many illetrates on NairaLand.

Yeah, would that include people like you who can't even spell
the word ILLITERATE? grin grin grin
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by candylips(m): 2:14pm On Apr 22, 2010
i can't laugh grin
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by Vicjustice: 5:21pm On Apr 22, 2010
sandee575:

Planes cannot fly without power during cruise.
sandee575:

The DANA airplane that was involved in the birdstrike was not a glider. A glider is designed to fly without engine power, hence it is towed up by another powered airplane and released to fly on a hot day in thermal currents which basically are updraughts caused by warm rising air which provide it with the lift
the glider pilot relies on to sustain its flight manouvres. DANA was a medium heavy twin engine jet transport plane. With a loss of both engines, it lacks the light weight and aerodynamic design to sustain flight without initiating a descent so as to maintain an airspeed above its stall speed. This is achievable but with a high rate of descent and depending on the altitude this occurs, i leave the rest to your imagination.

Man, don't disappoint me further.
   First of all, there's no where in the original post that indicates the brand of the plane. Now, it's important for you to know that every Aeroplane is equiped with the capability to glide in the event of all engines failure. I note that you have heard somewhat about Glider crafts, but you have little or no knowledge of what they actually are or how they function.
   Now, gliders or sailplanes are types of (very light) aircrafts used in the sport of gliding.
   Gliders are not passanger planes: Some gliders, known as motor gliders are used for gliding and soaring as well, but have engines which can, in some cases, be used for take-off or for prolonging a flight. There are also Foot-launched aircraft (such as hang gliders and paragliders) which has slight differences with sailplanes. Gliders have also been used for purposes other than recreation, for example for military purposes, border patrol and for research.
   Sports gliders benefit from creating the least drag for any given amount of lift, and this is best achieved with long, thin wings and a fully faired narrow cockpit. Aircraft with these features are able to climb efficiently in rising air and can glide long distances at high speed with a minimum loss of height in between.
   Though, i'm not a qualified pilot, but (thanks to my cousin pilot,) i did learn to fly planes and have had flying experiences. However, i will not be saying anything further on this subject, except if you wish to learn and ask reasonable questions.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090602104335AACDjCo
Technically speaking, every airplane glides. The engine power is there to prevent them from going down in altitude as they do.
And since the better a glider an airplane is, the less engine power is needed to keep altitude, the effort is indeed to ensure the best glide ratio possible for every airliner made. Most airliners will have a glide ratio of around 15, which means they can go 15 times the height loss in the horizontal distance, if the engines are all cut (the actual figure depends on the current weight and speed of the aircraft). Which is more or less what airliners do when they start descending for landing (engines are not stopped, but they are reduced to nearly idle).
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090602104335AACDjCo

Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by suxes2005(m): 8:03pm On Apr 22, 2010
The Pilot that flew the plane is my church member.

I was surprised yday when we called her and she
said she was the one who flew the plane together
with one Captain.

Thanks to God she is alive!

SHALOM
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 22, 2010
suxes2005:

The Pilot that flew the plane is my church member.

I was surprised yday when we called her and she
said she was the one who flew the plane together
with one Captain.

Thanks to God she is alive!

SHALOM
Oh! REALY?
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by suxes2005(m): 10:17pm On Apr 22, 2010
Tamita:

Oh! REALY?

Yeah, her name is Naomi!

SHALOM
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by THEAMAKA(f): 12:11am On Apr 23, 2010
sandee575:

kiss kiss kiss

@vicjustice
DO YOU REALLY KNOW WHO YOU'RE TALKING TO?!?! PLEASE STOP NOW!
everyone and their "I know PASS you" attitude here
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by oluwabamis(m): 9:19am On Apr 23, 2010
aircrafts have redundancy built into them. a 4 engine plane will still land with 2 engines gone while a 2 engine can make it with one. my company has aircrafts for its operations and we have had an emergency afecting an engine, the pilot was still able to land safely. But it all depends on the pilots, trainig. pilots should be well trained, and aircrafts be well maintained. no nigerian factor in the aviation industry=
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by deb(m): 4:29pm On Apr 23, 2010
Thanks to God
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by realkola: 7:16pm On Apr 23, 2010
is it true
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by Vicjustice: 9:53am On Apr 24, 2010
sandee575:

@vicjustice

The fact remains that "you cant teach your papa how to fu*k". cool
   I thought i was corresponding with a reasonable someone of mature mind, but this comment above reveals how wrong i was. I therefore call on the Moderator to react to this unwarranted offensive comment.
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by THEAMAKA(f): 12:27pm On Apr 24, 2010
^^^
OH PLEASE!!!
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by splashbaby(m): 1:16pm On Apr 24, 2010
Suspect this DANA to be a former sosoliso, pls if any info on the make of Dana could someone share with us.
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by sandee575(f): 2:54pm On Apr 24, 2010
splashbaby (m)
Nigeria

« #80 on: Today at 01:16:11 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suspect this DANA to be a former sosoliso, pls if any info on the make of Dana could someone share with us.

Better man, your suspicion is well founded judging by the similarity in their looks but Sosoliso had the DC 9 aircraft
while DANA has the MD-83 which was updated from the DC 9.
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by sandee575(f): 3:07pm On Apr 24, 2010
suxes2005 (m)
Where Dreams Come True!

« #72 on: April 22, 2010, 10:17 PM »

Quote from: Tamita on April 22, 2010, 09:07 PM
Oh! REALY?

Yeah, her name is Naomi!

SHALOM

Would that be the Naomi of FRSC?
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by sandee575(f): 5:21pm On Apr 24, 2010
I thought i was corresponding with a reasonable someone of mature mind, but this comment above reveals how wrong i was. I therefore call on the Moderator to react to this unwarranted offensive comment.

wink
Objection Overruled.
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by suxes2005(m): 5:47pm On Apr 24, 2010
@sandee:

Wat do u mean man?

SHALOM
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by sandee575(f): 6:54pm On Apr 24, 2010
^^^^

Ok, another clue>>>> does her surname begin with H?
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by sandee575(f): 6:55pm On Apr 24, 2010
^^^^

Ok, another clue>>>> does her surname begin with H?
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by THEAMAKA(f): 7:01pm On Apr 24, 2010
@sandee575
hey!
cheesy
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by sandee575(f): 8:16pm On Apr 24, 2010
@ AMAKA,
nothing spoil, dear.
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by DualCore1: 11:38am On Apr 25, 2010
The amount of mouths wey dey run here don reach to fly Boeing 747 across the Atlantic sha. grin
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by winnepooh: 3:45pm On Apr 27, 2010
thank god for his protection and miracles. god is truly great and mighty.
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by winnepooh: 3:53pm On Apr 27, 2010
Thanks be to God for His mercy, protection and miracles. God is truly Great. Glory, Honor and praises be to His name. Amen. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by giwa4giwa(m): 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2010
Angel michael ko, angel aliyu ni.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by stede(m): 10:19pm On Apr 27, 2010
wonders shall never end
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by seanmykel(m): 11:49am On Apr 30, 2010
A nice miracle, may God be praised
Re: Near-Crash As Bird Strikes Abuja-Bound Dana Air Plane by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 01, 2010
Im right now doing research on the Nigerian aviation industry and with what Ive discovered, i really shouldn't fly ever again

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Experience Living In Germany And Trying To Learn German On My Own / HELP!! Info on The Cost Of Living In Ghana / Documents Needed For One To Travel From Nigeria To Cameroon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.