Stats: 3,150,859 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List (93885 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by Timajohn(m): 5:34pm On Feb 09, 2018
What's the meaning of anjolamohammed
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by scholes0(m): 5:53pm On Feb 09, 2018
laydoh:
pls hw did OLA turn to glory instead of wealth.or is dia a new version of yoruba language i dnt knw?

Ola is not wealth, trust me.
Wealth is Oro.

People speak Watery Yoruba these days.

Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by laydoh(m): 5:57pm On Feb 09, 2018
scholes0:

Wealth is Oro.

i get u bro,bt ola also means wealth.u knw ola varies dpndin on d pronounciation.
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by scholes0(m): 6:05pm On Feb 09, 2018
laydoh:
i get u bro,bt ola also means wealth.u knw ola varies dpndin on d pronounciation.

Ola can refer to a wealthy person, as long as the person is popular.

Can you call a rich person whom nobody knows an Olola?
That was why I was correcting that guy, telling him that Ola means more of Excellence.

A state Governor can be a Olola, but might not be an Oloro.
While a very successful but unknown business person can be an Oloro but might not be an Olola.

We pray to become Olowo and Oloro, when it comes to wealth no one prays to be an Olola (usually) . Think about it well.

Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by SuccesYear: 6:30pm On Feb 09, 2018
leye001:
Why did my parents name me ADELEYE? . A boys' name for that matter cry
coz u're a damsel..... being a princess on da way

Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by RAFTmedia: 6:49pm On Feb 09, 2018
Abi oogbo yoo da fun o omo yi.
Mo ferns eleyi pupo
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by shumuel(m): 7:00pm On Feb 09, 2018
teamsynergy:
OdeTobi - a big fool

Lol grin
it's a Big Hunter/Mighty Hunter
but... You wicked

Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by shumuel(m): 7:11pm On Feb 09, 2018
scholes0:

Wealth is Oro.

I think there has been a mix-up from generations to generations in the handing over of the Yoruba language, though i do not know much but i know i have common sense, so bro lets look at it this way.

Ola = Wealth/Riches
Oro = Words/Talks

i then believe

Olo Which means ''Owner Of'' if added to these words should mean

Olola= Rich person or Owner of Wealth

Oloro= Prestigous person/Excellence

Having explained, i believe Oloro is or was someone who could or should speak and others would follow with due respect, such a person is a respected one among the villagers, but you can not attain such heights without riches, while Olola is a rich person who controls the people with his wealth or should i say people just chose to respect him because he his rich.

I hope you get my explanation ?

Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by scholes0(m): 7:26pm On Feb 09, 2018
shumuel:

I think there has been a mix-up from generations to generations in the handing over of the Yoruba language, though i do not know much but i know i have common sense, so bro lets look at it this way.

Ola = Wealth/Riches
Oro = Words/Talks

i then believe

Olo Which means ''Owner Of'' if added to these words should mean

Olola= Rich person or Owner of Wealth

Oloro= Prestigous person/Excellence

Having explained, i believe Oloro is or was someone who could or should speak and others would follow with due respect, such a person is a respected one among the villagers, but you can not attain such heights without riches, while Olola is a rich person who controls the people with his wealth or should i say people just chose to respect him because he his rich.

I hope you get my explanation ?

I am talking about Orò (Re-Do) meaning Wealth, not Òrò (Do-Do) meaning Word.

Nice explanation attempt though..

Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by Biggestboy1(m): 7:50pm On Feb 09, 2018
What's the meaning of Ojutake please? I see no reason why my parents gave me such a boring name.
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by stephoye: 7:52pm On Feb 09, 2018
FADESEWA. uses crown � as beauty
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by AfonjaConehead: 7:53pm On Feb 09, 2018
synergy:
OdeTobi - a big fool

deomello,shuku0kukobambi,ConeHead,liondeleo,masterchen,jetleeee,crtlaltdel,etc grin grin

Op,pls we wanna know the meaning of Mumuni,Mufutau,Gorriola,Sikiru,Ajanaku,Afonja,etc. Thank u

Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by KDULAR: 8:42pm On Feb 09, 2018
Ọrọ̀ is wealth.
Ọlà is excellency wisdom prestigious glamorous respectable. May also be pronunced Ọlá
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by tintedniggz(m): 9:43pm On Feb 09, 2018
You forgot to add Gbolahan
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by AfonjaConehead: 9:49pm On Feb 09, 2018
synergy:
OdeTobi - a big fool
haba! Dont let
deomello,shuku0kukobambi,ConeHead,liondeleo,masterchen,jetleeee,crtlaltdel,etc,catch u o grin grin

Op,pls we wanna know the meaning of Mumuni,Mufutau,Gorriola,Sikiru,Ajanaku,Afonja,etc. Thank u

Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:08pm On Feb 09, 2018
Exciton:
Lol. I even thought I would see pre-colonial era Yoruba names. Not theses christian era oluwa-this-and-that kinda names. How the heck are these names uncommon?
i swear
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by Iamthoney(m): 11:44pm On Feb 09, 2018
donnaD:

u try well done nawti mind like u lol.
I aint nawti oooo....I'm just tryna learn something new dazall
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by shumuel(m): 12:10am On Feb 10, 2018
scholes0:

I am talking about Orò (Re-Do) meaning Wealth, not Òrò (Do-Do) meaning Word.

Nice explanation attempt though..

Okay, i just don't believe Oro has ever really meant Wealth, and i don't really know how to use these Re, Mi, Do; Ami Oke, Arin ati Isale but every yoruba word usally have six meaning based on the Ami(Mark) well here are that of the word ''Oro'' correct me if i am wrong

Oro= Word
Oro= He turns
Oro= He thinks
Oro= Masquraid
Oro= Poison
Oro= He clears/cut it
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by BumbleBee2ice(f): 9:12am On Feb 10, 2018
Toluwanimi- I am of God cheesy

Chai! Daughters are truly beautiful wink
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by BumbleBee2ice(f): 9:14am On Feb 10, 2018
Biggestboy1:
What's the meaning of Ojutake please? I see no reason why my parents gave me
such a boring name.
Ojuteke- Shame unto d hypocrite
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by donnaD(f): 9:17am On Feb 10, 2018
Iamthoney:
I aint nawti oooo....I'm just tryna learn something new dazall
kam nu kwa,with such names abi very Gud kip it up..
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by Iamthoney(m): 10:48am On Feb 10, 2018
donnaD:

kam nu kwa,with such names abi very Gud kip it up..
Lemme be honest with you ma'am...I but seek knowledge
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by nwosunnanenye(m): 10:57am On Feb 10, 2018
leye001:

Lol. Thanks
U R Always Welcome.Can We Get To Know Ourselves If U Dnt Mind? Am Getting To Like Our Convo..

Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by donnaD(f): 11:00am On Feb 10, 2018
Iamthoney:
Lemme be honest with you ma'am...I but seek knowledge
Ok daz gud.
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by Iamthoney(m): 11:04am On Feb 10, 2018
donnaD:
Ok daz gud.
It will gladden my heart if you could be of help

Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by Iamthoney(m): 11:04am On Feb 10, 2018
donnaD:
Ok daz gud.
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by Awoofawo(m): 1:23pm On Feb 10, 2018
Werey... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Nephilim:
We also have names like

Okodunni - Dick is good to have.
Okodunnpo - Dick is too sweet cheesy
Obowunmi - I need a puscy
Obotunde - Puscy has come again
Okogbemiga - Dick has elevated me
Eponshule - Big blockus
Oyonshupo - boobs like cowbell milk factory
Animashaun - free Puscy giver
Etc
Ask ur yoruba friends for the rest
hahaha cheesy cheesy
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by Dafreeguy(m): 3:51pm On Feb 10, 2018
donnaD:
Ok daz gud.
Nne ur digitz hasn't been going oo

Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by donnaD(f): 4:02pm On Feb 10, 2018
Dafreeguy:

Nne ur digitz hasn't been going oo
nwanne'm my Nokia torch lite dey silent oo,abeg call by 5pm I shud be free then.no vex for me biko I appreciate.
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by donnaD(f): 4:04pm On Feb 10, 2018
Iamthoney:
Am not a Yoruba lady
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by Dafreeguy(m): 4:23pm On Feb 10, 2018
donnaD:

nwanne'm my Nokia torch lite dey silent oo,abeg call by 5pm I shud be free then.no vex for me biko I appreciate.

Y u silent am na? Or d fone get fault?
Re: Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List by donnaD(f): 4:30pm On Feb 10, 2018
Dafreeguy:

Y u silent am na? Or d fone get fault?
long story when u call.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Misuzulu KaZwelithini: New Zulu King Had To Kill This Lion To Become Monarch / Photos From An Unclad Annual Virgin Dance That Holds In Abiriba Kingdom / Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980)