Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? (13135 Views)

Have You Been Shouted At By A Subordinate At Work Before? / Why Is A Medical Doctor Placed Higher Than A Newly Employed Lecturer With A Ph.d / My Over Zealous Subordinate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Sudokudon: 5:54pm On Feb 12, 2018
I got this job six months ago in the Northeastern part of the country. During the recruitment process, the recruiter told me the salary range for the job, which I was pleased with. I went for the interview and got the job within the specified salary range. A month after, the firm thought they needed someone to assist me. They found one, and he insisted he cannot earn less than a certain amount which is about 40% higher than my take home pay and this dragged for a while before they agreed to employ him but on a contract basis of one year. Although, he will not be entitled to certain benefits I am entitled to, yet, his net pay is still more than my gross salary.

When the firm saw that I got to know, the HR invited me for an extensive meeting, trying to pacify me. He told me he is just to work for a year and they might either not renew his contract or increase mine if they renew his. That our salary was based on negotiation and was still within the range of what the company can pay. Unfortunately, salary can only be reviewed once in 6 months.

My question is:

1. Can negotiations be arbitrary without a range by the company?

2. Can the firm, just because they want to recruit someone who is best fit for a role, pay the person higher than his/her boss?

3. Why should a company be using your last pay as a basis of what they want to pay instead of solely their own capacity to pay?

I submitted my resignation letter yesterday because I was finding it difficult working with him and because the issue keep haunting me. The MD refused to collect it though, but I am not looking back, I have moved on. I have gotten another offer in principle and I will be meeting with them next week for salary negotiation. I am thinking of the best possible way of negotiation, so that I won't be shortchanged again.

HR guys in the house

Cc: Jarus

3 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 13, 2018
Sudokudon:

I got this job six months ago in the Northeastern part of the country. During the recruitment process, the recruiter told me the salary range for the job, which I was pleased with. I went for the interview and got the job within the specified salary range. A month after, the firm thought they needed someone to assist me. They found one, and he insisted he cannot earn less than a certain amount which is about 40% higher than my take home pay and this dragged for a while before they agreed to employ him but on a contract basis of one year. Although, he will not be entitled to certain benefits I am entitled to, yet, his net pay is still more than my gross salary.

When the firm saw that I got to know, the HR invited me for an extensive meeting, trying to pacify me. He told me he is just to work for a year and they might either not renew his contract or increase mine if they renew his. That our salary was based on negotiation and was still within the range of what the company can pay. Unfortunately, salary can only be reviewed once in 6 months.

My question is:

1. Can negotiations be arbitrary without a range by the company?

2. Can the firm, just because they want to recruit someone who is best fit for a role, pay the person higher than his/her boss?

3. Why should a company be using your last pay as a basis of what they want to pay instead of solely their own capacity to pay?

I submitted my resignation letter yesterday because I was finding it difficult working with him and because the issue keep haunting me. The MD refused to collect it though, but I am not looking back, I have moved on. I have gotten another offer in principle and I will be meeting with them next week for salary negotiation. I am thinking of the best possible way of negotiation, so that I won't be shortchanged again.

HR guys in the house

Cc: Jarus

Arbitrary negotiations happen all over the world. And yes, because he's a contract (not entitled to other benefits), there is a good case for him.

24 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 8:38am On Feb 13, 2018
Jarus:

Arbitrary negotiations happen all over the world. And yes, because he's a contract (not entitled to other benefits), there is a good case for him.

Discretionary tinz.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 13, 2018
oyb:

Discretionary tinz.

Yes o. When you're big.
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by LegitBoy(m): 5:36am On Feb 14, 2018
I'm sorry to say this but you took the most stupid decision there, his salary is haunting you? Is it the 6months that will kill you? People should stop bothering themselves with frivolities if you have a career to build.

But what do I know? You're probably a rich kid who can get a job at will so no point thinking about unemployment.

103 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 7:29am On Feb 14, 2018
NOT FAIR.....

You did the right thing bro.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by justi4jesu(f): 7:29am On Feb 14, 2018
If you need genuine Paypal funds to pay your suppliers

Contact me on whatsapp. smiley

1 Like

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by supereagle(m): 7:30am On Feb 14, 2018
W
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Gkay1(m): 7:31am On Feb 14, 2018
no comment now
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 7:31am On Feb 14, 2018
Your assistant may be earning higher due to his bargaining power. You should know that whenever you propose your salary to your employer, they would always want to cut you down, just the same way you cut down Iya Fumni(the pepper seller's actual pepper price). It just simple business.

BTW, why did u do amebo on ur assistant salary. Don't you know that what you don't know doesn't kill you.

11 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 7:31am On Feb 14, 2018
Happy Valentine Nairalanders
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by mokaflex(m): 7:32am On Feb 14, 2018
That's a norm in Globacom. Ask any one with 0805557**** number series.

2 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by nams77: 7:32am On Feb 14, 2018
: Your decision to quit was too sudden and very hasty. You have done what's in your mind so why question? A bird at hand....? Your best course of action, in my view, would have been to wait out and see. Your actions came off, somehow too immature. The dude has now taken over your position. The company is not at fault. The other dude saw himself very highly endowed and stuck to his gun. Taking this route is a very dangerous rope. Bargain too low, and you get pennies,price your self too high? You price your self out of the job, with your potential employer seeing you as a greedy fellow.

I had same encounter years back. This particular dude was earning exact same wage with me and I was the manager. He was even earning more than my supervisor, though he was third in line. It happened this way because his field was hard to come by and the company has past the deadline for kickoff so they just agreed to take him to avoid further delay.
How I resolved it when I got to know? I had a talk with the consultant and the MD and my salary was topped.
Best of luck sir

21 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by BigBrother9ja: 7:32am On Feb 14, 2018
Witches....

Work nor dey outside รณ....
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Nobody: 7:33am On Feb 14, 2018
Life is simple. Didn't know men bad belle their fellow men like this. angry
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by GreenArrow1(m): 7:33am On Feb 14, 2018
You don solve your problem na.

1 Like

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Imustreturn(m): 7:33am On Feb 14, 2018
u done make am
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by 12submarine(m): 7:34am On Feb 14, 2018
If the company ask you to swap with the guy both in contract and renumeration, will you agree? Nonsense.

27 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by jashar(f): 7:35am On Feb 14, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by akeentech(m): 7:35am On Feb 14, 2018
RESIGN AND START YOUR OWN ONLINE BUSINESS
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Philinho(m): 7:35am On Feb 14, 2018
Just follow them je je and show them reasons why you need more through your good quality n character
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Youngzedd(m): 7:35am On Feb 14, 2018
Envy.....

Mehn, you get issue walahi. Jesus talked about people like you in the parable of the laborers in the vineyard. Matthew 20:1-16

If I am the person in charge of the company, I will wonderfully kick you out in a grand style.

Go and watch the movie titled "Nightcrawler".

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by 9japrof(m): 7:36am On Feb 14, 2018
Without mincing words here, you are the one stupid and insecure.

From your story, you agreed your present pay during your interview without knowing your worth, the company never enforced the pay on you.

Your surbodinate came along and knew his value, he insisted on a pay he thought he is worth(Nigga knows his onions) and after much haggling, the company is paying him his worth.

Now your bad belle self on knowing what transpired is now angry, directing your anger at the wrong individual(management and your surbodinate) while the anger should have been directed at yourself for being stupid, naive and not knowing your worth. Your judgement is now clouded with bitterness that you don't see the bigger picture, he is a contract staff, a less secure job that can be terminated at will, you agreed that he is not entitled to some benefits you do have so what is forking wrong with you man.

Listen the grass ain't always greener on the other side, you are quitting your job now, how sure the same scenario wouldn't play out in your next work place or will you be changing jobs, anyway there are plenty of job opportunities in the Northeast.

What do u suggest? Use the current situation to renegotiate your contract in principle, make them sign a contract clause that stipulates that your salary must be reviewed upwards if a surbodinate is higher than your present pay.

Anyway what do I know

20 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Subudu(m): 7:36am On Feb 14, 2018
I have nothing to ssy
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Ogashub(m): 7:37am On Feb 14, 2018
Check yourself
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by DWJOBScom(m): 7:37am On Feb 14, 2018
LegitBoy:
I'm sorry to say this but you took the most stupid decision there, his salary is haunting you? Is it the 6months that will kill you? People should stop bothering themselves with frivolities if you have a career to build.

But what do I know? You're probably a rich kid who can get a job at will so no point thinking about unemployment.

very true as the other one took a contract role and negotiated a good salary. He has just shown the company that he can't be trusted
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by gantic: 7:38am On Feb 14, 2018
Well Said!!!!!

LegitBoy:

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by Jokerman(m): 7:38am On Feb 14, 2018
Jesus gave a parable on something like this in the bible.... when a worker was employed in the morning and negotiated to be paid 1 dinar, another was employed at the 11th hour and still negotiated 1 dinar.... After work the one who was employed in the morning complained, and you know what the Master answered..right??

Its just like Pogba angry over Sanchez's salary.....

4 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by okonja(m): 7:39am On Feb 14, 2018
I am in this same situation at my workplace undecided, planning to drop my resignation letter end of February
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by elougo(m): 7:39am On Feb 14, 2018
Company is right.

They can pay him as much as they can afford so far they both agreed to it. It should not bother you because you are being paid what you agreed to take.

The best you can do is renegociate after a period of time.

You dont see POGBA crying foul because SANCHEZ earns higher than he does.

2 Likes

Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by konny1(m): 7:39am On Feb 14, 2018
O
Re: Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? by san316(m): 7:40am On Feb 14, 2018
I will be lying if I say I have an idea what this situation entails. All I know is that, some people here are already thinking ''which organization and how did u apply?'' because they don't understand why they have been looking for common 30k job for the past 10years without success and u r here resigning because a contract staff receives more pay than u.

You must be really qualified bro.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University / Survival Strategy For Abuja Civil Servants / Is It Really About Working Hard?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.