Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,256 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:51 AM

AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? (12209 Views)

NCC Unveils New Unified Short Codes For All Mobile Networks In The Country / Ussd Code To Stop Auto Renewal Of Airtel Plan / How To Opt Out Of Etisalat (9mobile) Data Plan Auto-renewal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by maasoap(m): 8:16am On Feb 13, 2018
sorextee:
Auto renewal is very important. I work in a telco and I can tell u how important it is.

Same you complaining that it shld be turned off, others complain about how they opted out their data plan, forgot to roll over and they lost their data.

A customer came to my office, complaining bout how he lost close to 55gig data, all becos he forgot to roll it over. Despite the warning sms he got, bout his data. Checks on his line showed that he actually opted out by himself.
He opted out himself. Even if it is not by default, he would still have options to turn it on. Those who want it off by default are more than those who want it on default, you can't argue that. Glo is even worse in the sense that you will receive the message that you have opted out of the autorenewal only for you to be auto renewed again.

1 Like

Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by emajoe: 8:17am On Feb 13, 2018
Dont always leave your airtime up to the amount.
That way its a win-win situation.
Thank me later when they send you reminder that your auto-renewal is short of funds.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 13, 2018
jaymejate:
No! Becos Its Optional. U Can Turn It Off
But it's not permanent. When you subscribe again it gets turned ON again. There has to be a permanent deactivation.

1 Like

Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Nobody: 8:34am On Feb 13, 2018
Ohammadike:
Their is a provision for stopping auto renewal personally I like auto renewal
It doesn't stop it permanently. It activates again on every new subscription. There should be a way to stop it permanently.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by babaztee: 8:41am On Feb 13, 2018
It is a fraud. I have sent STOP or STOPAUTORENEW to 141 or 440 on AIrTel, it is not working and they keep deducting from my airtime. Why cant they also include the STOP on the USSD menu list? This is really day-light robbing of millions of subscribers.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Nobody: 8:41am On Feb 13, 2018
Divay22:
You can cancel it..
But it can't be done by default...
My issue is the so-called cancelling works temporarily. It becomes active again when you do a new subscription. There should be a permanent cancellation and also it should be OFF by default. Subscribers who want it should turn it ON themselves.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Nobody: 8:49am On Feb 13, 2018
martyns303:
It was supposed to be for convenience.
1. you don't have to resubscribe everytime
2. you don't get disconnected in the middle of something important
3. unused data is rolled over.

NB: you are also warned 2 days prior that your subscription will soon expire, and you would be advised to cancel auto renewal if u don't wish to renew ur sub. for MTN it is usually something like sending "NO103" to 131.

I understand it is when u do N200 sub for the day and by tomorrow they collect another N200 you have planned to make calls with cheesy
Let me tell my experience with 9mobile. I did N200 night subscription last year October. Since then I didn't used the Etisalat line. I switched it on just a few days back and loaded N200 and the money didn't reflect on my account. I was confused and amazed because 9mobile didn't even inform me about what the deduction was for. I loaded N1000 the following day and N200 was deducted again without explanation. I got pissed and contacted customer care. When I spoke to customer care that was when I was told I had an active night subscription. That's the subscription I did since last year and totally forgot about it.

Auto-renewal should be turned OFF by default. Subscribers should opt for it by themselves. And there should be a way to turn it OFF permanently. The existing methods only works temporarily and reactivates again on a new subscription.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by nowpresence(f): 8:51am On Feb 13, 2018
personally, I love it.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by uuzba(m): 8:53am On Feb 13, 2018
The amount of money spent on phone credit is more than the cost of the phone itself.

They should just be giving us phones for free.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by uuzba(m): 8:54am On Feb 13, 2018
nowpresence:
personally, I love it.

Personally, you love it?
What about impersonally, do you still love it?
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by dubilo: 8:56am On Feb 13, 2018
i think is better to allow those who need the autorenewal to activate it by themselves as against this automatic renewal method.It is very annoying,nd i think it intentional by the network provider especially mtn,NCC should take note and act on it.

1 Like

Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by lenghtinny(m): 8:58am On Feb 13, 2018
Glo is the headquarters of fraudsters mehn....
I wanted to switch to another plan because their 1k plan was to small for me. I always ensured that I cancel the auto renewal and recharge only after I've received the confirmation message, but they still auto renew the plan despite the fact that I've canceled it.....
I'd to abandon the Sim and network. These telcos are becoming desperate day by day always looking for ways to rip off their customers angry
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Nobody: 9:05am On Feb 13, 2018
sorextee:
Auto renewal is very important. I work in a telco and I can tell u how important it is.

Same you complaining that it shld be turned off, others complain about how they opted out their data plan, forgot to roll over and they lost their data.

A customer came to my office, complaining bout how he lost close to 55gig data, all becos he forgot to roll it over. Despite the warning sms he got, bout his data. Checks on his line showed that he actually opted out by himself.

It doesn't suit everyone. My dad lost about N5000 and kept complaining about how his airtime is deducted cos he didn't understand these auto-renewal stuffs. It should be turned OFF by default then subscribers can turn it ON themselves if they wish. And there has to be a way to permanently turn it OFF. The existing methods only turns it OFF temporarily and activates again after a new subscription.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by just2endowed: 9:05am On Feb 13, 2018
I think auto renew should be stop. My experience with airtel is that, I subscribe for airtel 1k data and after few months I did not subscribe any sub again. I decided to buy 1k data for another different purpose. Before I know what's happening, airtel deducted my airtel. I

I tried calling customer care 111, I realized I could get to call center agent. I was shocked. I tried to even cancel autorenewal on my own will, I realized I couldn't and all the codes online for the cancelation was not going anymore

I decided to visit there office in ikeja since am at ikeja. I walk in and talk to the customer service guy about my challenge. He told me I cannot disable autorenewal anymore from my line that I have to visit any airtel office to disable it. I was disappointed and I ask him do disable it from his system, which he did and I ask if my money can be refunded back to my line. He told me no.

I was not happy and I felt I should be able to disable this new scamming method. I went to airtel twitter handle and complain again. They apologize and later returned my money.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 13, 2018
SLIDEwaxie:
How is you, forgetting to turn off auto subscription be blamed on the provider?

Anything sha o push blame
The issue is it should be turned OFF by default. Subscribers who need it should turn it ON themselves so people who don't need it wouldn't have to keep turning it OFF on every new subscription. And there is currently no way to turn it OFF permanently. Existing methods works temporarily and reactivates on a new subscription.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 13, 2018
its daylight robbery glo is the maddest of them all dem do dat thing for me twice,i almost cried i called them and almost swore at them d thing pain me die
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Mofe72: 9:33am On Feb 13, 2018
It's even worse now.
I cancelled the feature on my glo.
20 minutes later loaded credit, and they deducted my money
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by OdaNobunaga(m): 9:43am On Feb 13, 2018
calberian:
In December, I had two separate data packages running concurrently because of the aimless autorenewal feature.

Upon calling MTN customer care, it became evident that they're aware of the difficulty that customers go through as a result but they'd rather fold their arms and smile to the bank to reap from where they did not sow.

I made it clear to them that they should not claim to be surprised when thunder from above strikes them after riding to the top on the backs of those who give out hard-earned resources to support their business.

Needless to say, I shifted from the expensive and poor data and call service of MTN to the just as expensive but excellent data and call service of Etisalat.

Etisalat is actually much more expensive I have tried them severally before concluding, but the data service is better than mtn though I wouldn't call it excellent.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by oglalasioux(m): 9:45am On Feb 13, 2018
Data auto renewal is the greatest daylight robbery in the history of mankind. The thieving network providers will never stop it. And NCC continues to be a toothless bulldog.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by trutbetold: 9:52am On Feb 13, 2018
The provision for stopping Auto-Renewal doesn't work in Nigeria and they intentionally programmed it so. Let's assumed, this mobile subscribers called your cell phone line and while you're trying to bring out your mobile phone from your pocket; you picked the call and also entered a particular number that subscribered to there funny jokes and it N50 per week. You're in big shit ooo. The mobile subscribers in Nigeria are rubbing Nigerians big time. #STOPMOBILEAUTORENEWAL.

1 Like

Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by nowpresence(f): 10:15am On Feb 13, 2018
uuzba:

Personally, you love it? What about impersonally, do you still love it?
question??
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by bedfordng(m): 10:34am On Feb 13, 2018
Ontarget:
I can't count the total amount of money I have lost through auto-renewal subscription. Sometimes I forget to turn it off and my airtime gets deducted when I didn't mean to subscribe again. I know a lot of people can relate with this. Don't you guys think auto-renewal should be turned OFF by default. Any subscriber who wants auto-renewal should then activate it himself. It seems there is currently no way to turn off auto-renewal permanently. Each new subscription turns it ON again after turning it OFF previously, and this makes it quite easy to forget turning it OFF after each new subscription. I think the mobile networks have designed it this way to rob subscribers heavily.
they everything has its own advantage. thanks to auto renewal else some of us can totally lose their airtime due to direct usage of the airtime once the data is exhausted . I can't count the number of times I got my airtime sucked up due to data exhausting . since they have auto renewal by default, first thing to do after subscribing is to deactivate before using.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Honesty007(m): 10:53am On Feb 13, 2018
Raph01:
that's why i use one sim to browse the internet and the other for calls. anything that makes me recharge on it, i know its for browsing. so they can auto-renew if they like.

its totally uncool tho.

They are theives,its a form of targetting.All networks are suspect of this,but mtn most guilty.i dont think NTEL would do this!
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Nobody: 10:57am On Feb 13, 2018
bedfordng:
they everything has its own advantage. thanks to auto renewal else some of us can totally lose their airtime due to direct usage of the airtime once the data is exhausted. I can't count the number of times I got my airtime sucked up due to data exhausting. since they have auto renewal by default, first thing to do after subscribing is to deactivate before using.
These issues happen because the networks are robbing us like I already stated. Why would the networks start charging one's airtime when his data has been exhausted without cutting off internet access and notifying the subscriber he has exhausted his data? Your airtime shouldn't be charged for internet access in the first place. And why should I ALWAYS be deactivating auto renewal EVERYTIME I subscribe? I can possibly forget to do so from time to time. Why can't there be an option for a subscriber to PERMANENTLY disable auto-renewal to suit those who don't want it? You see the flaws? That's why I said the networks selfishly set these things for themselves to rob those who don't want auto-renewal.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by XX01(f): 11:00am On Feb 13, 2018
9mobile was so bad to me that I just dumped the sim card never to be used again. In a month, they auto renewed me for monthly Flexmore 2 times in the same month. I had 2 data subscriptions running at the same time. Next thing they will send an SMS that my data is exhausted and I won't be able to browse. After 2 days, my real data will show. Basically, they wanted to use that to make me re-subscribe.

Since Etisalat left, they turned to broad daylight robbery.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by oyetpel(m): 11:06am On Feb 13, 2018
sorextee:

Eh? Who be the guy that lost 55gb

For those of us that subscribe for 1gb per month, we don't need auto renewal, because by the 2nd week we must have exhausted the data, so wetin wan roll-over? And we do alternate sometimes to smaller data plans...
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Liftedhands(f): 11:22am On Feb 13, 2018
My own problem with mtn is subscribing me to a package i was initially told I have insufficient balance for! Few days later when I recharged the required amount they automatically subscribed me to it without first asking me if I was still interested angry that is stealing in my opinion.

I Should have the sole option of deciding when and if I need a subscription and not some auto renewal bull crab

1 Like

Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 13, 2018
Na mtn own dey vex me.Bin a while I used dem and I decided to try out wit dere one day plan and c if it is beta dan glo so I can swtich.They gave me an option of opting out but anytime I send,i keep getting 'Network out of order' reply.Now I can recharge my line cos immediately I do,na so dem go subscribe 4 me.E tire me,e b like say I go just kuku manage my glo.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:43pm On Feb 13, 2018
SLIDEwaxie:
your name is truly 'offpoint'. Your argument is truly off the point.

In the scenario you just illustrated, you are totally wrong.

Auto subscription is like you telling the guy where to take the key and take the money for the gift, so far you didn't disable it!

There is an option for you to stop it but you didn't.

So, you can't blame the delivery man for taking the key where you asked him to and taking his money, when you didn't keep your keys away from him!

Your analysis is rubbish, auto renewal should not be by default, I should bold the option of opting in.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by pooozeee(m): 3:21pm On Feb 13, 2018
Yes they are, especially MTN and GLO, they are the worst
And let me use this opportunity to advise GLO network to short down operation, they are becoming worst every day, it is not by force to operate a telecoms company voice and data service is too poor, the Indians incharge of there network aren't doing any thing
Ontarget:
I can't count the total amount of money I have lost through auto-renewal subscription. Sometimes I forget to turn it off and my airtime gets deducted when I didn't mean to subscribe again. I know a lot of people can relate with this. Don't you guys think auto-renewal should be turned OFF by default. Any subscriber who wants auto-renewal should then activate it himself. It seems there is currently no way to turn off auto-renewal permanently. Each new subscription turns it ON again after turning it OFF previously, and this makes it quite easy to forget turning it OFF after each new subscription. I think the mobile networks have designed it this way to rob subscribers heavily.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by charlsecy(m): 3:35pm On Feb 13, 2018
Ohammadike:
Their is a provision for stopping auto renewal
Read the post properly.
Re: AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? by LaExpert: 8:56pm On Feb 13, 2018
Offpoint:

Tell me how important is the crap? how would like I brought my product to your house, even when you're not around... I dropped it on your doorstep.. then get in your house and take any money I see.. isn't that stealing?

More like a vendor that drops news paper for you and picks the money in a safe close to where he drops it. If he doesn't find money, he doesn't drop, if he finds, he picks and drops.

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Ways Social Media Giants Are Brain Hacking Humans / 48.3 Million Nigerians Browse Internet On Mobile Phones / Lg Set To Launch The Lg V40 Thinq To Rival The Samsung Galaxy S9/s9 Plus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.