Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,278 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:29 AM

Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most (19890 Views)

Nigerian Pentecostals Believe That A Pastor Must Have A Spiritual Father / Why Do Non Catholics Bash Catholics / Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Nowenuse: 12:27pm On Feb 14, 2018
freshboi88:

I don't c catholic churches arranging programs, talk and seminars on valentine . which denomination is known for that??
Empredboy:
which love do you celebrate? what do u know about St Valentine? let me remind you he was like other saints like like St Louis. why don't you celebrate St Anthony of padua or St Peter? these saints are the pillars of the church but you guys are accusing the church of idolatry yet you remember 14 feb of every year. why not remember August 8 the feast of St Dominic?

The truth is that most pentecostals do not even know the origin of Valentine celebration. They think it is just a typical holiday of western origin.

1 Like

Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by brightostar(m): 12:40pm On Feb 14, 2018
MrMcJay:

Valentine's day is all about love.
You said pentecostals celebrate Valentine's day the most.
Going by your analogy, pentecostals celebrate love more than Catholics.

That's why you should think very well before writing online to avoid disgracing yourself.

This is a baseless arguement you dont observe precepts of a doctrine and leave the others. As much as pentecostals criticise catholics for honouring mary they should also neglect to observe st. Valentines day as well as christmas or else its compromise of belief system how can you condemn aspects of a religous practice from a church and observe the other cause its suitable for you
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by hadow(m): 1:33pm On Feb 14, 2018
because the crowd heads in a direction doesn't make it right
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by danielitaugbede(m): 1:43pm On Feb 14, 2018
See 'foolish' Christians, The OP may not even be a Catholic like he claims, he might be used by the admins and the anti Christs on this platform to drag Christianity in the mud. And for u the OP if u truly are a Christian (Christ like) you will not talk like this. U sound pained becos u feel some persons think iIl about ur doctrine, if u truly have confidence in the practice of ur doctrine u wouldn't go this far to try exposing 'their hypocrisy' like u think u just did, and mark u! U have just given the unbelievers a Lee way to not see anything good about Christ, I think u are proud of that right?
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by freshboi88: 2:42pm On Feb 14, 2018
Nowenuse:

The truth is that most pentecostals do not even know the origin of Valentine celebration. They think it is just a typical holiday of western origin.

We just catch their hypocrisy red handed and they have no reply
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Austinoiz(m): 2:57pm On Feb 14, 2018
dingbang:
even in the Catholic church, there are members who still roll with the modern valentine way of celebration, So let's not act like saints. Yes we all know St Valentine "as we were taught" was a saint bla bla bla who was known for his acts of love.

Its unfortunate things have turned around but that doesn't mean we shouldn't celebrate love. We spend a lot of our energy criticizing others instead of leading by example. If u feel that Val's day to you means showing love to the poor then do it instead of pointing fingers on those who are living their lives the way they want it.

Guy, you sure say you be catholic with your "St. Valentine was a saint bla bla bla as was taught then..."
Your words betrayed your claim na niggah.
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Austinoiz(m): 3:01pm On Feb 14, 2018
paxonel:

The catholic church was seen as the universal church at the time saint Valentine lived. There was no Protestants at that time talkless of pentecostals, therefore saint valentine was saint of the universal church, which includes all churches, be it catholic, Protestants or pentecostals

Your argument needs a bottle of beer to be strong. Oh the Church was called Universal then abi
OK let's buy your blind argument, now tell me if he wasn't a priest or perhaps if your Pentecostal church has been able to canonize a saint up till date.
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by ebuka440: 3:06pm On Feb 14, 2018
My brother, Catholic Church is versatile. I love Catholic Church.
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Biggaboi(m): 3:33pm On Feb 14, 2018
Bonaventura:
The Catholic celebrate a lot of Saints who are believed to have lived good lives while on earth and therefore are in heaven. This is one of the doctrines of the Catholic Church.
The protestants however do not believe in the power of men( the Catholic) to declare someone a saint yet they single out Saint Valentine who is a saint like every other Saints in the Catholic faith to celebrate.
What an irony!
It's not even a feast in the Catholic Church like some other Saints. It's a memorial.
.....and they also name their children after saints claiming 'it's a Christian name'!
Irony!
#ProudlyCatholic

1 Like

Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by paxonel(m): 4:50pm On Feb 14, 2018
Empredboy:
so what's your point?
Pentecostals are entitled to celebrate valentine too
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by paxonel(m): 5:11pm On Feb 14, 2018
Austinoiz:

Your argument needs a bottle of beer to be strong. Oh the Church was called Universal then abi
OK let's buy your blind argument, now tell me if he wasn't a priest or perhaps if your Pentecostal church has been able to canonize a saint up till date.
To canonize saints are not the ways of pentecostals Catholics should also accept that.
To pentecostals, Saint Valentine is seen as one good man who lived in the past whose legacy should be emulated just like Apostles Peter, Paul and Stephen and nothing more
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Ubenedictus(m): 7:26pm On Feb 14, 2018
paxonel:

To canonize saints are not the ways of pentecostals Catholics should also accept that.
To pentecostals, Saint Valentine is seen as one good man who lived in the past whose legacy should be emulated just like Apostles Peter, Paul and Stephen and nothing more
you guys are happy to celebrate a good man worthy of emulation but you are the first to criticize Catholics for declaring a person good and worthy of emulation.

its either inconsistency or hypocrisy or you guys just love criticising Catholics

2 Likes

Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by myproperty(m): 7:39pm On Feb 14, 2018
Ubenedictus:
Tyndale was killed by Protestants under Henry viii, Jan Hus was condemned for heresy by the Catholic Church but was delivered to the state, the state sentenced him and executed him according to the law.

what are you crying about?

Why won't you lie. You want to change history.

1 Like

Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by SoldierBoy1(m): 7:41pm On Feb 14, 2018
No Bible following Pentecostal church bashes Catholics cause the Catholic Church has done a lot in the interest of survival of Christianity .And for those condemning Pentecostal churches, things happening in some churches shouldn't make you condemn all.
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Ubenedictus(m): 8:00pm On Feb 14, 2018
myproperty:

Why won't you lie. You want to change history.
there is no lies there.
if you think I lied point it out

1 Like

Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by paxonel(m): 8:49pm On Feb 14, 2018
Ubenedictus:
you guys are happy to celebrate a good man worthy of emulation but you are the first to criticize Catholics for declaring a person good and worthy of emulation.

its either inconsistency or hypocrisy or you guys just love criticising Catholics
Personally, i do not criticize any church that canonize or venerate any saint so long they preach Jesus Christ. The same why i also wish that catholic baptism should be open to pentecostals as well, for the sake of Jesus Christ
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Themandator: 7:17am On Feb 15, 2018
paxonel:

The catholic church was seen as the universal church at the time saint Valentine lived. There was no Protestants at that time talkless of pentecostals, therefore saint valentine was saint of the universal church, which includes all churches, be it catholic, Protestants or pentecostals

Pentecostals were the first sets of Christians after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. .... Afterwards , the catholic religion came on board and then Martin chanced in the scripture and discovered a gap between the church doctrine and the scripture and turned a Protestant against those doctrines and traditions.

Catholics were first formerly Pentecostals until the persecution of the church by the Romans led to a compromise by some of the Christian leaders which became Catholic church.

Protestant s are former Catholics whereas , Pentecostals are original Christians
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by myproperty(m): 8:09am On Feb 15, 2018
Ubenedictus:
Tyndale was killed by Protestants under Henry viii, Jan Hus was condemned for heresy by the Catholic Church but was delivered to the state, the state sentenced him and executed him according to the law.

what are you crying about?
I am crying about the murdering of people caused and initiated by the catholic church.

Let those that never knew just Google the horror of the catholic church. See the number of Christians this church killed in 1200years
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Dnaz(m): 8:44am On Feb 15, 2018
Themandator:

Pentecostals were the first sets of Christians after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. .... Afterwards , the catholic religion came on board and then Martin chanced in the scripture and discovered a gap between the church doctrine and the scripture and turned a Protestant against those doctrines and traditions.

Catholics were first formerly Pentecostals until the persecution of the church by the Romans led to a compromise by some of the Christian leaders which became Catholic church.

Protestant s are former Catholics whereas , Pentecostals are original Christians
What you are saying is that Contrary to Jesus's word that gates of hell at a time spanning 1500 yes did prevail over His church
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Dnaz(m): 8:46am On Feb 15, 2018
myproperty:

I am crying about the murdering of people caused and initiated by the catholic church.

Let those that never knew just Google the horror of the catholic church. See the number of Christians this church killed in 1200years
He just told u and I will second it that Tyndale was killed by Protestant Henry V111 and Jan Hus killed by the state but u want to believe ur own concorted history. Continue .

1 Like

Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by myproperty(m): 9:57am On Feb 15, 2018
Dnaz:

He just told u and I will second it that Tyndale was killed by Protestant Henry V111 and Jan Hus killed by the state but u want to believe ur own concorted history. Continue .
Really? Concocted version? The truth is there for all to see. You come here and be condemning others and forget the tales of horror committed by catholic against those that speak of the atrocities of the papal and against reformers. I repeat those who never knew, forget My version and forget their version learn by yourself just browse horror of the catholic church and you would know the truth
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Themandator: 1:20pm On Feb 15, 2018
Dnaz:

What you are saying is that Contrary to Jesus's word that gates of hell at a time spanning 1500 yes did prevail over His church

The great commission started after the death of Christ, with the release of the holy spirit on the day of Pentecost....Acts 1:8 ..., That was when Christianity was born as Pentecostals. ...People who have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

The statement of Jesus wasn't address to Peter as a prophecy hinge on him for the name Peter itself is not rock but stone. And there was no prophecy anywhere for telling of any Peter, being the bedrock of the church. ..... Everything about Jesus was preceded by prophecies from the prophets of old until John the Baptist.... Never was there a prophecy concerning Peter.

When Jesus made his statement about the rock , he was referring to himself as he is the only rock rejected that became the main rock
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Ubenedictus(m): 12:32pm On Feb 20, 2018
myproperty:

what about the murder initiated by the Protestant churches?

also remember to research the horrors of the Protestant churches and how you guys killed even more.
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by myproperty(m): 3:13pm On Feb 20, 2018
Ubenedictus:
what about the murder initiated by the Protestant churches?

also remember to research the horrors of the Protestant churches and how you guys killed even more.
The good thing is that you agree on the murder orchestrated by the catholic church. For the ones by protestants please tells us about it if any. I have talked about the catholic own. Be bold and truthful enough to talk about the protestant own if you are not lying.
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Ubenedictus(m): 8:34pm On Feb 22, 2018
Themandator:

The great commission started after the death of Christ, with the release of the holy spirit on the day of Pentecost....Acts 1:8 ..., That was when Christianity was born as Pentecostals. ...People who have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

The statement of Jesus wasn't address to Peter as a prophecy hinge on him for the name Peter itself is not rock but stone. And there was no prophecy anywhere for telling of any Peter, being the bedrock of the church. ..... Everything about Jesus was preceded by prophecies from the prophets of old until John the Baptist.... Never was there a prophecy concerning Peter.

When Jesus made his statement about the rock , he was referring to himself as he is the only rock rejected that became the main rock

so who was given the keys in Matthew 16?
a. Jesus
b.Peter

1 Like

Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Ubenedictus(m): 10:16pm On Feb 22, 2018
myproperty:

The good thing is that you agree on the murder orchestrated by the catholic church. For the ones by protestants please tells us about it if any. I have talked about the catholic own. Be bold and truthful enough to talk about the protestant own if you are not lying.
sorry dear I never agreed the Catholic Church killed anyone, in fact you provided two names one was killed by the state the other was murdered by Protestants.

have you read how you Protestants murdered sir Thomas More and Bishop Fisher?

1 Like

Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Themandator: 4:28pm On Feb 23, 2018
Ubenedictus:

a. Jesus
b.Peter

If you know the meaning of the beginning word, AND in verse nineteen you would have unraveled the rock, the building and the key(mysteries of the kingdom)
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 23, 2018
Themandator:

If you know the meaning of the beginning word, AND in verse nineteen you would have unraveled the rock, the building and the key(mysteries of the kingdom)

Simple question and you rigamarole. Who was given the keys - Jesus or Peter?

1 Like

Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Themandator: 8:15pm On Feb 23, 2018
Ubenedictus:

a. Jesus
b.Peter

Peter
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Ubenedictus(m): 9:54pm On Feb 23, 2018
Themandator:

Peter

so Jesus said

Simon bar Jonah flesh and blood didn't reveal this to you but my father in heaven----- to Peter.

Jesus said

you shall be called cephas (Rock in Aramaic) ------ to Peter

then he suddenly jumps and start talking about himself.

and on this cephas I'll build my ecclesia.

then he jumps back to Peter and says

I will give you the keys of the kingdom.

sorry that doesn't make sense unless you are already biased, how come Jesus shift from peter to himself and back to Peter without indicating within the same sentence.

but If you wish to continue with such untrue exegesis just to proof your point OK, it doesn't affect what Catholics believe.

this is the important stuff

what do you understand by the biblical phrase"keys of the kingdom".?

remember to place precept on precept
Re: Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most by Themandator: 11:16am On Feb 24, 2018
Ubenedictus:

so Jesus said

Simon bar Jonah flesh and blood didn't reveal this to you but my father in heaven----- to Peter.

Jesus said

you shall be called cephas (Rock in Aramaic) ------ to Peter

then he suddenly jumps and start talking about himself.

and on this cephas I'll build my ecclesia.

then he jumps back to Peter and says

I will give you the keys of the kingdom.

sorry that doesn't make sense unless you are already biased, how come Jesus shift from peter to himself and back to Peter without indicating within the same sentence.

but If you wish to continue with such untrue exegesis just to proof your point OK, it doesn't affect what Catholics believe.

this is the important stuff

what do you understand by the biblical phrase"keys of the kingdom".?

remember to place precept on precept

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it

If Jesus was referring to Peter ,he wouldn't say ...upon this rock but upon you since he,Peter ,was right there with him

And then the nest verse would not have read ....thus: And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

The ground can't have the key to what is built on it for it useless to it because it is immovable, unshakable

access to the kingdom was granted Peter but the founder and base remains in Christ . ...the church is the kingdom of God on the Earth and the sure rock is Jesus not Peter .mysteries or revelation for accessing the kingdom ...the secret was given to Peter and the apostles with him

Here are cross references to this rock matter ....

1, Psa 118:22 ....2 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner

2, Isa 28:16 .... Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste

3, Isa 33:20......Look upon Zion, the city of our solemnities: thine eyes shall see Jerusalem a quiet habitation, a tabernacle that shall not be taken down; not one of the stakes thereof shall ever be removed, neither shall any of the cords thereof be broken

4, Joh 1:42 ...

5, 1Co 3:11 And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone........this is your rock assertion ..... Matthews was written in Hebrews, a sister language to Aramaic .... Peter is stone not rock.

6, [Eph 2:20] ........ And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Help me with a supportive biblical proof of peterr being the rock ... In the mouth of two is a thing confirmed

NB: of you are not convinced about who the rock is and on who the church if Christ is founded then I doubt if any discussion of the keys would make any sense to you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Alert: Spirits Of Sodom & Gomorrah Have Been Poured Out. Rapture Is Imminent. / Can I Make Heaven Without Going To Church? / Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.