Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' (1964 Views)

Ohanaeze Wants The Name Nigeria Changed To A Positive One / The Meaning Of Buhari's 4+4 Sign Pictures At National Assembly Dug By Nigerians / Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' by emekanairaland(m): 8:55pm On Feb 16, 2018
It is true that Flora Louise Shaw coined the name "Nigeria " but the question here is what is the meaning of NIGERIA?

Well according to my research, the idea of that name "Nigeria" was derived from "Niger river". Which is seen as "Niger Area" and the true meaning of Niger is "Darkness".

So, the original meaning of the name "NIGERIA" is Darkness Area or Dark side. grin cool

Re: The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' by nairavsdollars(f): 9:14pm On Feb 16, 2018
You must be high on Otuoke weed

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' by otosa(m): 9:21pm On Feb 16, 2018
This is Land is not for sale beware of my Son SHURAJU!
Re: The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' by heendrix(m): 10:24pm On Feb 16, 2018
No lie in Yoruba Nigeria means "we wake up to suffering n hardship" an ge ria
Re: The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' by Fianze93(m): 11:31pm On Feb 16, 2018
Lolll

Since everyone is being creative to see another meaning of Nigeria, let me quickly say that in Igbo Nigeria (N'ayị Je ịrịa) means 'We will surely suffer'
Re: The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' by Nobody: 11:34pm On Feb 16, 2018
Re: The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' by valentineuwakwe(m): 11:43pm On Feb 16, 2018
maybe yoh were not taught history in your school when you were young....
Re: The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' by FarahAideed: 11:45pm On Feb 16, 2018
No wonder everything here is dark and senseless
Re: The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' by ContentedK: 12:04am On Feb 17, 2018
nairavsdollars:
sorry it's a bit hard to believe but he's right after all... shithole area rather...
Re: The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' by gidgiddy: 12:14am On Feb 17, 2018
emekanairaland:
It is true that Flora Louise Shaw coined the name "Nigeria " but the question here is what is the meaning of NIGERIA?

Well according to my research, the idea of that name "Nigeria" was derived from "Niger river". Which is seen as "Niger Area" and the true meaning of Niger is "Darkness".

So, the original meaning of the name "NIGERIA" is Darkness Area or Dark side. grin cool

That name "Nigeria" was something Flora shaw Luggard came up with because she didnt know what to call the place.

I heard she first called the place "Nigger area" before she modified it to "Nigeria"

Either way, the name is still as fake as when Flora shaw created it in 1897 and the country is still as fake as the day Lugard created it in 1914.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' by emekanairaland(m): 8:30pm On Feb 17, 2018
gidgiddy:

That name "Nigeria" was something Flora shaw Luggard came up with because she didnt know what to call the place.

I heard she first called the place "Nigger area" before she modified it to "Nigeria"

Either way, the name is still as fake as when Flora shaw created it in 1897 and the country is still as fake as the day Lugard created it in 1914.
That woman was a real psycho grin
I believe the original name is Naija cool
Re: The Meaning Of The Name 'NIGERIA' by emekanairaland(m): 10:32pm On Feb 17, 2018
nairavsdollars:
At least you now know the root cause of Nigerians problem

(1) (Reply)

Innoson: Igbos Will Boycott Companies That Denigrate Us – Ohanaeze Blows Hot / Dino Melaye Before 2015 Elections Vs Now / Photos: The Buhari We Voted For Versus The Buhari We Saw After Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.