Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,178 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel (14546 Views)

Excess Fuel Consumption / My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. / My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Automotive1(m): 6:14am On Feb 19, 2018

There are many reasons that can cause your car to consume excess fuel.High fuel consumption simply reveals that your car is not running as efficiently as it should,which also implies that you are losing money because you keep filling up more often.

Here are some possible reasons your car is using too much fuel

1)Incorrect tire pressure
It's also one of the easiest things to correct. Make sure to use the manufacturer's recommended pressure levels stamped onto the driver's side doorplate and not the "maximum pressure" numbers shown on the tire itself.

2)Bad oxygen sensors and Air filters
They can reduce your fuel mileage by up to 20%. The oxygen sensors help keep the proper mixture of air and fuel, and having this off balance can be inefficient. The air filters can get clogged and simply need to be unclogged to fix the problem.

3)Spark plugs
They are responsible for igniting the mixture of fuel and air in your engine. If they misfire, or are working poorly, this can affect your fuel consumption in a negative way.

4)Bad fuel injectors
It is responsible for putting fuel into the engine. If there is a leak, then less fuel will make it to the engine, and then in turn make it run less efficiently.

5)Air conditioner
A lot of fuel can be wasted in powering the system when used frequently.If the weather is not too hot, consider turning off the air conditioner and drive with your windows open. At higher speeds, close the windows to reduce drag.

A.c uses fuel and having the windows down causes drag, which uses up fuel too.Here’s what to do
At low speeds, the fuel used to compensate for drag is less than the fuel used to power your a/c, so open the window.

6)Idling
Idling is when you have your engine on, but you are parked and not moving. Common places where this occurs is when you are trying to warm up your car,while waiting to pick someone up or when stucked in the traffic.30 seconds is enough to warm up the engine.

7)Motor oil
The engine oil can also affect your fuel mileage by up to 12%. You want to use motor oils that are high in reducing friction. Either use a synthetic oil or the oil that the car's manual recommends.

Overall, these are the major reasons why your is consuming more fuel , but the list goes on even further than this.

Do you think you know more?Feel free to add to the lists

Source https://autojosh.com/7-possible-reasons-car-consuming-excess-fuel/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Nobody: 6:17am On Feb 19, 2018
A faulty catalyst or totally removed.
Removing your thermostat.

This is quite interesting, informative and educative, especially to people who live "based on logistics" lol...every litre of fuel counts.

3 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by pejuakinab: 6:24am On Feb 19, 2018
Thank you op for this peace
Very educative

5 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by lonelydora: 7:04am On Feb 19, 2018
8. Removing your engine thermostat as most 'Kazeems' advise.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by SUGARDADDY55(m): 7:04am On Feb 19, 2018
Nix

1 Like

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by cinoedhunter: 7:07am On Feb 19, 2018
Informative grin

4 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Klins2000(m): 7:07am On Feb 19, 2018
I also learnt that if the shock absorbers are not in order, they affect fuel consumption. I don't know how true this is?

1 Like

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by buchilino(m): 7:07am On Feb 19, 2018
SOME GEAR SYSTEMS, ALSO ALLOWS FOR MORE FUEL CONSUMPTION. IF D GEAR SYSTEM ISN'T WORKING WELL, UR CAR MAY CONSUME MORE FUEL.

1 Like

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Crossguy: 7:08am On Feb 19, 2018
ONE OF THE MOST IS BAD/DAMAGED CATALYST

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by NonFarmPayrol: 7:08am On Feb 19, 2018
Mine has started gulping of recent sha

I suspect the airflow meter

Cause the acceleration is not smooth
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by miiraaj: 7:10am On Feb 19, 2018
You forgot to add when your catalytic converter "indomie" is stolen by the mechanic. angry

18 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by redsun(m): 7:11am On Feb 19, 2018
You failed to mention speed. The more you accelerate the more fuel you consumed. Maintaining a low speed can cut fuel consumption by thirty percent.

Speed kills.

3 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by ziccoit: 7:12am On Feb 19, 2018
Well, that of air conditioning consuming lots of fuel is debatable. Except you run the system while the car speed is zero (ie stationary) I don’t think fuel consumption with AC system is that crazy.

3 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by metroid(m): 7:15am On Feb 19, 2018
9. Reduce the junk in your cars

1 Like

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by kokomaster3d: 7:17am On Feb 19, 2018
lonelydora:

100% agree with you. Car owners should warn their kazeem not to remove their thermostats no matter what. Its one of the stupit thing to do.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by RealGucci: 7:22am On Feb 19, 2018
mai fwend keep kwayet
we all know ac drags the whole car
from heavy engine ..to massive fuel drainage .bla bla bla.

d basic tin eating up our fuel is unlimited bad spots and dem kazeems dem ..trial and error..bad roads...go slow traffic for hours. to step om park.drive and neutral esp wen u see a bich ass niggi in his tinted saloon in heavy ac while u are battling with the days heat

since my compressor burnt mai fuel has been managable
compared to using ac

i did a turbo yesterday....140km/h for just 6mins
na like 3litres burn
if it were to be ac.na 4 bars go remain for fuel guage
im still on 7bars
from 10bars on last week wed
all on turbo within city speed
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by kenex4ever(m): 7:25am On Feb 19, 2018
redsun:
You failed to mention speed. The more you accelerate the more fuel you consumed. Maintaining a low speed can cut fuel consumption by thirty percent.

Speed kills.
I think going to a fixed distance, say 10km with low speed will consume more fuel than going with higher speed.

2 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by MaxCrysos(m): 7:31am On Feb 19, 2018
very educative pieces of information!

1 Like

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by doingood: 7:32am On Feb 19, 2018
Nice right up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by HopeRisingmatte(m): 7:39am On Feb 19, 2018
RealGucci:
mai fwend keep kwayet
we all know ac drags the whole car
from heavy engine ..to massive fuel drainage .bla bla bla.

d basic tin eating up our fuel is unlimited bad spots and dem kazeems dem ..trial and error..bad roads...go slow traffic for hours. to step om park.drive and neutral esp wen u see a bich ass niggi in his tinted saloon in heavy ac while u are battling with the days heat

since my compressor burnt mai fuel has been managable
compared to using ac

i did a turbo yesterday....140km/h for just 6mins
na like 3litres burn
if it were to be ac.na 4 bars go remain for fuel guage
im still on 7bars
from 10bars on last week wed
all on turbo within city speed
What's the make of ur car sir Pls?

1 Like

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by RealGucci: 7:41am On Feb 19, 2018
crv 2010 model suv
since i changed my fuel filter
and also conpressor burn for the second tims
my fuel hasbeen saving me
my ac man bill me 100k to return compressor valve and filter back ..i jus vex comot dia
say God punish am.
HopeRisingmatte:

What's the make of ur car sir Pls?
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Godfidence: 7:44am On Feb 19, 2018
lonelydora:
A mechanic disconnected a wire so my fan starts working immediately I start the engine because he said it could cause over heating but I told him to leave the thermostat....does this have any negative effect on the car?

1 Like

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by sulakishop(m): 7:46am On Feb 19, 2018
Bypassing the thermostat

Automotive1:

There are many reasons that can cause your car to consume excess fuel.High fuel consumption simply reveals that your car is not running as efficiently as it should,which also implies that you are losing money because you keep filling up more often.

Here are some possible reasons your car is using too much fuel

1)Incorrect tire pressure
It's also one of the easiest things to correct. Make sure to use the manufacturer's recommended pressure levels stamped onto the driver's side doorplate and not the "maximum pressure" numbers shown on the tire itself.

2)Bad oxygen sensors and Air filters
They can reduce your fuel mileage by up to 20%. The oxygen sensors help keep the proper mixture of air and fuel, and having this off balance can be inefficient. The air filters can get clogged and simply need to be unclogged to fix the problem.

3)Spark plugs
They are responsible for igniting the mixture of fuel and air in your engine. If they misfire, or are working poorly, this can affect your fuel consumption in a negative way.

4)Bad fuel injectors
It is responsible for putting fuel into the engine. If there is a leak, then less fuel will make it to the engine, and then in turn make it run less efficiently.

5)Air conditioner
A lot of fuel can be wasted in powering the system when used frequently.If the weather is not too hot, consider turning off the air conditioner and drive with your windows open. At higher speeds, close the windows to reduce drag.

A.c uses fuel and having the windows down causes drag, which uses up fuel too.Here’s what to do
At low speeds, the fuel used to compensate for drag is less than the fuel used to power your a/c, so open the window.

6)Idling
Idling is when you have your engine on, but you are parked and not moving. Common places where this occurs is when you are trying to warm up your car,while waiting to pick someone up or when stucked in the traffic.30 seconds is enough to warm up the engine.

7)Motor oil
The engine oil can also affect your fuel mileage by up to 12%. You want to use motor oils that are high in reducing friction. Either use a synthetic oil or the oil that the car's manual recommends.

Overall, these are the major reasons why your is consuming more fuel , but the list goes on even further than this.

Do you think you know more?Feel free to add to the lists

Source https://autojosh.com/7-possible-reasons-car-consuming-excess-fuel/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

2 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by lonelydora: 7:53am On Feb 19, 2018
Godfidence:
A mechanic disconnected a wire so my fan starts working immediately I start the engine because he said it could cause over heating but I told him to leave the thermostat....does this have any negative effect on the car?

Once your thermostat is removed...start gathering money to buy a new engine.

Don't EVER remove your thermostat.

5 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Nobody: 7:55am On Feb 19, 2018
30 seconds is enough to warm up the engine

I disagree with that statement. I have been advised by a professional to wait until I see the usual smoke from the pipes every morning before I push on to drive. I don't know about older cars though.
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Godfidence: 7:58am On Feb 19, 2018
lonelydora:

Once your thermostat is removed...start gathering money to buy a new engine.

Don't EVER remove your thermostat.
It's a new car, please I need a better explanation....dont think you have answered my question!
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by kokomaster3d: 8:00am On Feb 19, 2018
CaptainJeffry:
30 seconds is enough to warm up the engine

I disagree with that statement. I have been advised by a professional to wait until I see the usual smoke from the pipes every morning before I push on to drive. I don't know about older cars though.

not true.

most moderns only need few seconds for warmup

1 Like

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Troublemaker007(m): 8:14am On Feb 19, 2018
I also heard if u have sex in your car, infact it will empty the fuel tank.

6 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by holuwarlay08(m): 8:33am On Feb 19, 2018
Leaking of exhaust can also leads to fuel consumption.

2 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Chujor1634(m): 8:45am On Feb 19, 2018
Overheating can cause fuel consumption....

Pm me for further explanations
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by kolaaderin: 8:50am On Feb 19, 2018
Godfidence:
It's a new car, please I need a better explanation....dont think you have answered my question!

You took your new car to Kazeem for advice, Sorry is your case. Cars are designed mostly to work optimally in any condition, from the frosting cold of the north pole to the blasting heat of equatorial dessert. All you need is to pay attention to details, as your car should have nothing to do with over heating for at least 4years of use. Once you notice over heating issue which is the common issue in this part of the world, follow this method of solving it.

the first thing you should do is the check if you fan is working normal, if yes then check for leakages around the radiator, if non is discovered, check the spring on the radiator cover they could also be nasty at time if damaged then change it. Because we live in a dirty environment, its very common to have your radiator vent blocked with all sort of dirty stuff, affecting the cooling system then get the radiator washed properly including your engine.
If all this is observed and you still have heating problem, then you can have your car checked by a qualified mechanic as the most that could happen is a damaged thermostat .Do not remove it outrightly as advised by Kazeem, order for a replacement as the case may be to have your car back at factory setting.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2wd Vs 4wd Vs Awd / VW Jetta 2010 Or Toyota Camry 2010 / My Car Is Stalling And Jerking When On Motion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.