Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,196 members, 7,818,652 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel (14568 Views)

Excess Fuel Consumption / My HONDA CIVIC Consumes Excess Fuel. / My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by AkpaMgbor(m): 8:51am On Feb 19, 2018
kenex4ever:
I think going to a fixed distance, say 10km with low speed will consume more fuel than going with higher speed.
You are wrong..you need fuel for combustion in your engine..More speed and power means injecting more fuel into the engine..it’s a common physics law. Even in your body, you burn more calories/fuel when you engage in a sports activity like sprinting or playing football.

2 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Godfidence: 9:11am On Feb 19, 2018
kolaaderin:

You took your new car to Kazeem for advice, Sorry is your case. Cars are designed mostly to work optimally in any condition, from the frosting cold of the north pole to the blasting heat of equatorial dessert. All you need is to pay attention to details, as your car should have nothing to do with over heating for at least 4years of use. Once you notice over heating issue which is the common issue in this part of the world, follow this method of solving it.

the first thing you should do is the check if you fan is working normal, if yes then check for leakages around the radiator, if non is discovered, check the spring on the radiator cover they could also be nasty at time if damaged then change it. Because we live in a dirty environment, its very common to have your radiator vent blocked with all sort of dirty stuff, affecting the cooling system then get the radiator washed properly including your engine.
If all this is observed and you still have heating problem, then you can have your car checked by a qualified mechanic as the most that could happen is a damaged thermostat .Do not remove it outrightly as advised by Kazeem, order for a replacement as the case may be to have your car back at factory setting.
Thank you very much for this advice. God bless you. I will do something about it immediately.
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by mostyg(m): 9:36am On Feb 19, 2018
AkpaMgbor:

You are wrong..you need fuel for combustion in your engine..More speed and power means injecting more fuel into the engine..it’s a common physics law. Even in your body, you burn more calories/fuel when you engage in a sports activity like sprinting or playing football.
When you are on gear five you consume less fuel than on gear four down to one. You can't be on gear five on a low speed.
If your check your dash board for the rmps. At a speed of around 100km/hr, your gauge will be on 2000 or just slightly about. That's the sweet speed for most vehicle, anything above or below may likely consume more fuel.

2 Likes

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by moscobabs(m): 9:43am On Feb 19, 2018
lonelydora:
8. Removing your engine thermostat as most 'Kazeems' advise.
Is removing Thermostat contributes to fuel consumption?

1 Like

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by J0hnTrevolt(m): 10:11am On Feb 19, 2018
kolaaderin:

You took your new car to Kazeem for advice, Sorry is your case. Cars are designed mostly to work optimally in any condition, from the frosting cold of the north pole to the blasting heat of equatorial dessert. All you need is to pay attention to details, as your car should have nothing to do with over heating for at least 4years of use. Once you notice over heating issue which is the common issue in this part of the world, follow this method of solving it.

the first thing you should do is the check if you fan is working normal, if yes then check for leakages around the radiator, if non is discovered, check the spring on the radiator cover they could also be nasty at time if damaged then change it. Because we live in a dirty environment, its very common to have your radiator vent blocked with all sort of dirty stuff, affecting the cooling system then get the radiator washed properly including your engine.
If all this is observed and you still have heating problem, then you can have your car checked by a qualified mechanic as the most that could happen is a damaged thermostat .Do not remove it outrightly as advised by Kazeem, order for a replacement as the case may be to have your car back at factory setting.
Bro any solution to a leaking radiator and does it pose a greater problem?
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Topleague(m): 10:43am On Feb 19, 2018
nice write up
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by frankputer: 10:55am On Feb 19, 2018
Dirty nozzle, catalytic converter , plugs , bad plug coil ,fuel injector lead to misfiring hence all misfiring lead to car jacking thereby lead to covering less distance , thereby requiring more fuel to cover the remaining uncovered distance.

More fuel is consumed to cover distance that are not quickly covered by a misfiring or jacking car.
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by kolaaderin: 11:53am On Feb 19, 2018
J0hnTrevolt:
Bro any solution to a leaking radiator and does it pose a greater problem?
for sure its a big problem when you have a leaking radiator, the rate of leaking increase as the temperature raises. Get it fixed as soon as possible if repairable, else buy another radiator.

1 Like

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by lonelydora: 10:08pm On Feb 19, 2018
moscobabs:

Is removing Thermostat contributes to fuel consumption?
A very big YES

1 Like

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by lonelydora: 10:09pm On Feb 19, 2018
Godfidence:
It's a new car, please I need a better explanation....dont think you have answered my question!

When you say new, do you mean brand new or tokunbo
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Godfidence: 1:16am On Feb 20, 2018
lonelydora:

When you say new, do you mean brand new or tokunbo
Tokunbo cheesy angry
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by lonelydora: 7:40am On Feb 20, 2018
Godfidence:
Tokunbo cheesy angry

When you remove the thermostat? it will make the engine to always run cold....this will make the ECU to tell the injector to pump in more fuel so that the engine will warm up faster...thereby leading to more fuel consumption. The engine is meant to operate at an optimum temperature.

Don't remove your thermostat please.
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by sosospence(m): 4:41pm On Feb 25, 2020
lonelydora:
8. Removing your engine thermostat as most 'Kazeems' advise.
All'Kazeems' advise that the thermostat should be removed because the so said' our weather is different from their own'
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by sosospence(m): 4:44pm On Feb 25, 2020
Godfidence:
A mechanic disconnected a wire so my fan starts working immediately I start the engine because he said it could cause over heating but I told him to leave the thermostat....does this have any negative effect on the car?
No,your call for the return is in the right direction.
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Daviestunech(m): 9:48pm On Feb 25, 2020
lonelydora:

When you remove the thermostat? it will make the engine to always run cold....this will make the ECU to tell the injector to pump in more fuel so that the engine will warm up faster...thereby leading to more fuel consumption. The engine is meant to operate at an optimum temperature.

Don't remove your thermostat please.

U definitely right about this....
I drive o4 Toyota Camry......due to some overheating issue my thermostat was removed ND the fan run directly....I also noticed the temperature gauge takes a long time to reach the middle even some distance drive unlike B4 dat few minutes it's already at the middle...
My question is can the thermostat restore back to normal?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by lonelydora: 3:12am On Feb 26, 2020
Daviestunech:

I drive o4 Toyota Camry......due to some overheating issue my thermostat was removed ND the fan run directly....I also noticed the temperature gauge takes a long time to reach the middle even some distance drive unlike B4 dat few minutes it's already at the middle...

Yes. You can put it back. But if you are okay with it like that, leave it like that. There is more to overheating issues than this
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by Daviestunech(m): 6:12am On Feb 26, 2020
lonelydora:

Yes. You can put it back. But if you are okay with it like that, leave it like that. There is more to overheating issues than this

Ok...thnkx
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by froszzie: 2:35pm On Apr 30, 2020
Daviestunech:

i drive same car but my thermostat has been kazzemed...
please where can i buy a new thermostat to install back...
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by homeboy205: 3:24pm On Apr 30, 2020
froszzie:

i drive same car but my thermostat has been kazzemed...
please where can i buy a new thermostat to install back...

Do you have signs of overheating? If yes, you have to fix that before putting back the thermostat.

If no, just have it restore back
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by froszzie: 4:30pm On Apr 30, 2020
homeboy205:

Do you have signs of overheating? If yes, you have to fix that before putting back the thermostat.

If no, just have it restore back

no sign bro
it has been fixed and everything now works perfectly well
the temp rarely rise up...
kazeem still insist i leave it like that, told him i need restore for a better fuel economy... like they would always say, it does not have anything to do with fuel consumption.. na for oyibo weather blah blah .... after all i get money, why complaining grin shocked
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by homeboy205: 6:05pm On Apr 30, 2020
froszzie:

no sign bro
it has been fixed and everything now works perfectly well
the temp rarely rise up...
kazeem still insist i leave it like that, told him i need restore for a better fuel economy... like they would always say, it does not have anything to do with fuel consumption.. na for oyibo weather blah blah .... after all i get money, why complaining grin shocked

You are right it works for fuel economy
Re: These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel by MGDIMA4: 8:44pm On Apr 30, 2020
Nice one

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads / His Friend Was Jailed For Stopping At An Unauthorized Bus-stop In Lagos / My Car Is Stalling And Jerking When On Motion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.