Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? (2546 Views)

The Akan And Jamaicans Have 4 Genders As Do Many Non-christian Cultures / Ben Ubeh, CAN Chairman Crushed To Death In Taraba / 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by nathanccr(m): 10:30pm On Feb 24, 2018
FeelDeMusic:
I believe that Christianity has played a roll in destroying native African cultures and religions. And, as Kevoh said, there are good and bad aspects in all cultures, not just those of Nigeria or anywhere else in Africa, and, unfortunately that seems as if that's what it's going to be for quite a while.
I myself am a culture nerd and adore studying different societies and cultures from different parts of the world and from different time periods.
Thank God for civilization biko, lots of wickedness would have still persisted. Like enslaving generations and cursing them not to make it or fulfill destiny. That's y I always run away from folks that are diabolic. All they think about is how to harm someone or something....
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by PurpleNneoma: 1:04am On Feb 25, 2018
Christianity has not ended the wickedness.

We have swapped the concepts like Osu with homophobia.

I would argue Nigeria is less civilised now than ever before.

nathanccr:

Thank God for civilization biko, lots of wickedness would have still persisted. Like enslaving generations and cursing them not to make it or fulfill destiny. That's y I always run away from folks that are diabolic. All they think about is how to harm someone or something....
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by DejiSantos: 11:22am On Feb 25, 2018
I agree.

Whilst Christianity has had some good points.

It would be silly to suggest it as bought an end to wickedness.

PurpleNneoma:

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by nathanccr(m): 11:36pm On Feb 25, 2018
PurpleNneoma:

Your thoughts though....and for the homophobia ish, its a new concept that people are coming to terms with.
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by hopefulLandlord: 5:42am On Feb 26, 2018
nathanccr:

Thank God for civilization biko, lots of wickedness would have still persisted. Like enslaving generations

Bible is not against slavery, it infact encourages it

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:32am On Feb 26, 2018
MsNgo40:
See that's the thing that baffles my mind..
Culture certainly has its place, but should never supercede spirituality.

For Christians, I'm wondering where God fits into the picture in terms of respect yet still maintaining a sense of some cultural aspects?

MY JS1 TEACHER TOLD ME THAT CULTURE, IS SIMPLY PEOPLE'S WAY OF LIFE. FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION. YOU CAN'T EASILY TAKE THAT AWAY.

WHAT IS SPIRITUALITY? ABSOLUTE BULLSHIIT!

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Nobody: 3:33am On Feb 28, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

MY JS1 TEACHER TOLD ME THAT CULTURE, IS SIMPLY PEOPLE'S WAY OF LIFE. FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION. YOU CAN'T EASILY TAKE THAT AWAY.

Ok undecided
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by DejiSantos: 12:15pm On Mar 01, 2018
hahahaha

CAPSLOCKED:

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Emusan(m): 12:35pm On Mar 01, 2018
SakuraSimiola:
DO YOU THINK CHRISTIANITY HAD CRUSHED OUR NATIVE CULTURES?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3oBeKCrysw

I don't know why people still confusing Christianity with many things.

Jesus Christ didn't come to put us into more bondage of life rather abolishing idolatry by pointing us to know the Creator, Only Living God and to do what He like.

So if your culture supports idol worshipping, injustice, hatred, killing, disrespectful malice e.t.c that's where Christianity is against your culture.

If your culture supports love, charity, respect, justice, forgiveness e.t.c it's in line with Christianity.
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Emusan(m): 12:39pm On Mar 01, 2018
[
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Emusan(m): 12:40pm On Mar 01, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Bible is not against slavery, it infact encourages it

That's why Atheists are the one who fought against slavery when the people who are holding Bible were busy keeping slaves.
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by hopefulLandlord: 12:47pm On Mar 01, 2018
Emusan:

That's why Atheists are the one who fought against slavery when the people who are holding Bible were busy keeping slaves.

are you agreeing or disagreeing with what I said?
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Emusan(m): 1:06pm On Mar 01, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

are you agreeing or disagreeing with what I said?
Let your instinct judge my post
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by hopefulLandlord: 1:11pm On Mar 01, 2018
Emusan:

Let your instinct judge my post

My instinct is unneeded here. what you're saying is that certain Christians pushed back against slavery but that has nothing to do with the assertion that Bible supported slavery
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Emusan(m): 1:20pm On Mar 01, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

My instinct is unneeded here. what you're saying is that certain Christians pushed back against slavery but that has nothing to do with the assertion that Bible supported slavery

If you claimed Bible supported slavery and the carrier of Bible are the most people who fought against slavery. Then, your instinct ended somewhere!
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by vaxx: 1:43pm On Mar 01, 2018
SakuraSimiola:
DO YOU THINK CHRISTIANITY HAD CRUSHED OUR NATIVE CULTURES?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3oBeKCrysw
Your question has two answer yes and no... let me start with NO , using myself as an example, There is no way you can separate me from my upbringing, culture, environment, parentage, neighborhood, peers, the compound in which I grow up, and from the things I grow up cherishing. it will take you till eternity to do so. if you study Yoruba society very well, you will realized the truthfulness of this statement. In our society Christianity and traditional religion has missed up... visit all these indigenous Yoruba churches, you will perceived an aroma of Yoruba tradition religion in them.. people still follow their traditions and culture. . Christianity has come to stay in our society ,no doubt, but crushing our culture is nearly impossible... ile-ife as an example will not replace the royal practices with church practices.... osun oshogbo festival is actively promoting our existing culture,it has even been recognize at the UNESCO and so many more......

yes,to some extent, The advent of fundamentalist christian is so dangerous to our society, particularly the ones who says they are seeing visions to bring down our local shrines and call everything we do satanic.... despite being accommodating to them, the still see us as devil incarnate, this fundamentalist are gradually having strong influence on some of our youth, who actually have not taken their time to study their own culture but blindly subscribe to this teachings.... but i think their influence can be put into check.....
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by hopefulLandlord: 1:48pm On Mar 01, 2018
Emusan:

If you claimed Bible supported slavery and the carrier of Bible are the most people who fought against slavery. Then, your instinct ended somewhere!

Carrier of the Bible were the most people in support of slavery too, your point is?
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by correctguy101(m): 2:49pm On Mar 01, 2018
Almost would do...
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by FeelDeMusic: 3:28pm On Mar 01, 2018
vaxx:
Your question has two answer yes and no... let me start with NO , using myself as an example, There is no way you can separate me from my upbringing, culture, environment, parentage, neighborhood, peers, the compound in which I grow up, and from the things I grow up cherishing. it will take you till eternity to do so. if you study Yoruba society very well, you will realized the truthfulness of this statement. In our society Christianity and traditional religion has missed up... visit all these indigenous Yoruba churches, you will perceived an aroma of Yoruba tradition religion in them.. people still follow their traditions and culture. . Christianity has come to stay in our society ,no doubt, but crushing our culture is nearly impossible... ile-ife as an example will not replace the royal practices with church practices.... osun oshogbo festival is actively promoting our existing culture,it has even been recognize at the UNESCO and so many more......

yes,to some extent, The advent of fundamentalist christian is so dangerous to our society, particularly the ones who says they are seeing visions to bring down our local shrines and call everything we do satanic.... despite being accommodating to them, the still see us as devil incarnate, this fundamentalist are gradually having strong influence on some of our youth, who actually have not taken their time to study their own culture but blindly subscribe to this teachings.... but i think their influence can be put into check.....

Well said Vaxx! I honestly think this is what I meant to put in my earlier post, yes I used the word "destroy" but I think that I meant something more like "hinder" or "take over". Something more like that.

BTW I'm sensing some arguing on here, let's not fight and make this thread like all of the others on here with bickering and unnecessary fights please.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by SakuraSimiola: 11:56am On Mar 19, 2018
I agree

FeelDeMusic:

Well said Vaxx! I honestly think this is what I meant to put in my earlier post, yes I used the word "destroy" but I think that I meant something more like "hinder" or "take over". Something more like that.

BTW I'm sensing some arguing on here, let's not fight and make this thread like all of the others on here with bickering and unnecessary fights please.

(1) (2) (Reply)

As A Christian At What Age Is Right To Have A Girlfriend / Jesus, Man Of Contradiction: Was Jesus For Everyone, Including Non-jews? / Can You Disprove The Gods You Don't Believe In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.