Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko (2668 Views)

In Igboland, The Elders (umunna) Don't Joke With This - Photo / What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" / Suspend Emir Sunusi To Allow Proper Investigation - Elders To Kano State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by absoluteSuccess: 10:44pm On May 05, 2017
I'm not surprise at Oba Akiolus gesture towards Ooni as shown few weeks ago, because I've come across Oba Akiolu's impression about Lagos Island's history in print, if you've read H.A.B Fashinro's work on Lagos' history, you'll know what I mean.

Oba of Lagos has opined in the said work thst Lagos high chiefs were the 'awonrin' and this were the people that formed the elite class of the natives. This name is the appellation given to migrants from bini. That's the claim he made if I'm correct.

Awonrin is the name Lagos was known as among the egun people in the state. Perhaps that's a glimpse of what she's known by in the defunct Dahomean empire where these people came from at the onset of contemporary era: ahonrin.

Awonrin: (Yoruba) aw-on-rin, a won o rin, the emigrants, the wayfaring people.
Ahonrin: (Dahomey) Lagos Island.

My take

The ancient Yoruba has a creed: ifa, which is their attempt at compilation of their history and this oral dicta was used for their spiritual needs. A precept telling Yoruba history comes with the title Owonrin.

So we have Awonrin, ahonrin and then, owonrin. But what's owonrin? Owo-nrin: migrants' wayfaring. Owo is also a name of an ancient town in Awori enclave. And so we come to Awori: A wo ri.

While the popular etymology of the term awori is 'the pot sank', the real truth may have been camouflaged.

The need to put across the Awori history from the point of view of what the word means literally.

A wo ri must have derived from 'a-wo-ri' which could mean 'seers' discovery' or 'seafarers'. The pointers to this diction are 'iwori' and 'itori', which are words of the same valent as awori.

The Yoruba ancestors have countless of words to pass their ideas across, so we have many words saying the same things differently, ijebu is akin to iwori, where it means seafaring.

Now, we've seen how words connects and hyperlinked into history. I personally did not know this much based on books, but based on bloodline: I'm from 'owun-olowonrin' meaning 'the ones about wayfaring migrants'.

Hope you see how all the Yoruba words are intertwined. This is 'proof of ownership' of an idea, it is from a manufacturer that you can see different varieties of the same product and models.

Now the ancestors did not do all this for nought, or to be robbed at the end of the day, because someone needs to bow to someone and for the politics of the day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by absoluteSuccess: 10:56pm On May 05, 2017
Given that awonrin is deep rooted in Yoruba liturgy. It is unlikely the term 'awonrin' is validation of Lagos-bini origin. The term is deep rooted in Yoruba linguistic modes and highly replaceable.

Until the bini version of this term surface in their pristine form, the elders of Isale-Eko must hold their peace about this semantic, it cut across aworiland, and prosperity never change antiquity.

Lagos island is rich and prosperous city., but history is priceless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by absoluteSuccess: 11:05pm On May 05, 2017
But of a truth is the saying in Lagos Island:

Ara ibini arokuntayo......

The import of this is the same as this one:

Omo iroko nlado, omo Osanyin Ilawe......

Why not the claim that the elders also come from all the aforelisted places too?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by Olu317(m): 1:31am On May 06, 2017
The oriki connected Ado to ILAWE ,is it the same Ilawe Ekiti, founded by ODUA descendants(Amowa and Amope) ?

Cheers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by absoluteSuccess: 12:29pm On May 06, 2017
M
Olu317:
The oriki connected Ado to ILAWE ,is it the same Ilawe Ekiti, founded by ODUA descendants(Amowa and Amope) ?

Cheers

More like it bro,

Omo iroko n'lado, omo osanyin'lawe.

Omo epo werewere lode ilado.........there are different places called Ilado at different realms It is clear such places are Ile-Ado, as the name implies.

Ilawe Ekiti, well every Yoruba historical word have common underlying meaning,identifying the same ancestor in different names.

Each term must be cross-checked against another., hence you can't study one in isolation without winding up in error, thinking you have it all.

All the answers are not in one place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by Olu317(m): 2:17pm On May 06, 2017
absoluteSuccess:
M

More like it bro,

Omo iroko n'lado, omo osanyin'lawe.

Omo epo werewere lode ilado.........there are different places called Ilado at different realms It is clear such places are Ile-Ado, as the name implies.

Ilawe Ekiti, well every Yoruba historical word have common underlying meaning,identifying the same ancestor in different names.

Each term must be cross-checked against another., hence you can't study one in isolation without winding up in error, thinking you have it all.

All the answers are not in one place.
If it's true from what I have seen. Descendants of Odu'a across many places,all of them point toward ILE IFE, I just wonder why Oba BINI and Oba Akiolu are lying? . And the word “Ado" is connected with many places in Yoruba land . This is because, I just wonder why Oba Eko has oriki connected to osanyi and wouldn't know his own family history . And you are correct, there is a chain of connection through many Yoruba ancient towns to unravel the mystery. Further more, I think it is high time, Yoruba history is being thought to avoid the collateral distortion as OBA of Lagos has done. An elderly man that doesn't know the history of OLOGUN KUTERU, his own patrilineal father. It is such a shame.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by AkinPhysicist: 10:49pm On May 06, 2017
cool
Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by aljharem(m): 12:34am On May 07, 2017
Awonrin is a corrupt form of Awori. Qod
Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by semasir: 10:10pm On May 08, 2017
The Ogu (Ègùn) dialect unfortunately don't have the letter "r" so Lagos is called Awọnlin or Ọwọnlin.

Thanks for the update too on your perception.

absoluteSuccess:
I'm not surprise at Oba Akiolus gesture towards Ooni as shown few weeks ago, because I've come across Oba Akiolu's impression about Lagos Island's history in print, if you've read H.A.B Fashinro's work on Lagos' history, you'll know what I mean.

Oba of Lagos has opined in the said work thst Lagos high chiefs were the 'awonrin' and this were the people that formed the elite class of the natives. This name is the appellation given to migrants from bini. That's the claim he made if I'm correct.

Awonrin is the name Lagos was known as among the egun people in the state. Perhaps that's a glimpse of what she's known by in the defunct Dahomean empire where these people came from at the onset of contemporary era: ahonrin.

Awonrin: (Yoruba) aw-on-rin, a won o rin, the emigrants, the wayfaring people.
Ahonrin: (Dahomey) Lagos Island.

My take

The ancient Yoruba has a creed: ifa, which is their attempt at compilation of their history and this oral dicta was used for their spiritual needs. A precept telling Yoruba history comes with the title Owonrin.

So we have Awonrin, ahonrin and then, owonrin. But what's owonrin? Owo-nrin: migrants' wayfaring. Owo is also a name of an ancient town in Awori enclave. And so we come to Awori: A wo ri.

While the popular etymology of the term awori is 'the pot sank', the real truth may have been camouflaged.

The need to put across the Awori history from the point of view of what the word means literally.

A wo ri must have derived from 'a-wo-ri' which could mean 'seers' discovery' or 'seafarers'. The pointers to this diction are 'iwori' and 'itori', which are words of the same valent as awori.

The Yoruba ancestors have countless of words to pass their ideas across, so we have many words saying the same things differently, ijebu is akin to iwori, where it means seafaring.

Now, we've seen how words connects and hyperlinked into history. I personally did not know this much based on books, but based on bloodline: I'm from 'owun-olowonrin' meaning 'the ones about wayfaring migrants'.

Hope you see how all the Yoruba words are intertwined. This is 'proof of ownership' of an idea, it is from a manufacturer that you can see different varieties of the same product and models.

Now the ancestors did not do all this for nought, or to be robbed at the end of the day, because someone needs to bow to someone and for the politics of the day.

2 Likes

Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by absoluteSuccess: 11:46pm On May 08, 2017
semasir:
The Ogu (Ègùn) dialect unfortunately don't have the letter "r" so Lagos is called Awọnlin or Ọwọnlin.

Thanks for the update too on your perception.

Been a while semasir.

I know you speak Alada, but Tori is my mother tongue. You are not familiar with torigbe, they definitely have the letter 'r' in Tori, I have such examples as

Oran (Yoruba: eran) meat:

Renbovojoh: rebirth, think and become born again.;

Ariran: ogusho, dry palm kernel hide used for fuel.

Avari: farm tent.

Ario: road.

Arin: waist.

Aro: chewing stick;

Renpon: think about it.

You need to find out more about the tori, from Agonmenu.
Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by semasir: 7:08pm On May 09, 2017
Please confirm very well... It's just saying Q is in Yoruba alphabet when K does it all for it.

It's olan, alilan, alin etc but the mixture and interaction with the Yorùbás indeed had these impacting so dearly on our language. I was told this so early in my life or have you ever wondered why the average Ogu man always can't pronounce R in place of L a times?

absoluteSuccess:

Been a while semasir.

I know you speak Alada, but Tori is my mother tongue. You are not familiar with torigbe, they definitely have the letter 'r' in Tori, I have such examples as

Oran (Yoruba: eran) meat:

Renbovojoh: rebirth, think and become born again.;

Ariran: ogusho, dry palm kernel hide used for fuel.

Avari: farm tent.

Ario: road.

Arin: waist.

Aro: chewing stick;

Renpon: think about it.

You need to find out more about the tori, from Agonmenu.
Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by absoluteSuccess: 8:37pm On May 09, 2017
semasir:
Please confirm very well... It's just saying Q is in Yoruba alphabet when K does it all for it.

It's olan, alilan, alin etc but the mixture and interaction with the Yorùbás indeed had these impacting so dearly on our language. I was told this so early in my life or have you ever wondered why the average Ogu man always can't pronounce R in place of L a times?

I understand what you're talking about, we have gbekonu speakers and ajara speakers and seto speakers, all with different shades of tones.

Meanwhile, Tori sounds like Yoruba tone, and not like alada.: its heavier in pitch than alada which sounds soft just like music to the ear.

Mi waenue (tori).

Mile waevi leh (alada).

There's some differences:

Where are you going?

Alada: Fite a jei?
Tori: He o fe ngo?

I'm going towards the big road
Njei aliogbogo,
N ngo ariogbogo.

My bro, some have the letter 'r' and some don't, it has nothing to do with closeness to Yoruba, its just the peculiarity of each language.

For instance, 'aloi' or 'alo' is 'hand'. So I think I know my 'l's and my 'r's.
Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by semasir: 6:02am On May 11, 2017
Thanks....
There's always unity in diversity
absoluteSuccess:

I understand what you're talking about, we have gbekonu speakers and ajara speakers and seto speakers, all with different shades of tones.

Meanwhile, Tori sounds like Yoruba tone, and not like alada.: its heavier in pitch than alada which sounds soft just like music to the ear.

Mi waenue (tori).

Mile waevi leh (alada).

There's some differences:

Where are you going?

Alada: Fite a jei?
Tori: He o fe ngo?

I'm going towards the big road
Njei aliogbogo,
N ngo ariogbogo.

My bro, some have the letter 'r' and some don't, it has nothing to do with closeness to Yoruba, its just the peculiarity of each language.

For instance, 'aloi' or 'alo' is 'hand'. So I think I know my 'l's and my 'r's.
Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by aljharem(m): 6:19am On May 11, 2017
The Aworis Fired Back At Oba Akiolu's Alleged Attempt To Re Write The History of Lagos .

LAGOS (EKO) IS OWNED BY THE AWORIS.

As a full blooded Awori, I disagree with the futile attempt to rewrite the history of Aworis and by extension the Yorubas as credited to Alhaji Ridwan Akiolu, the Oba of Lagos.

Firstly, the Island of Lagos was owned by the progenitor of Aworis, the Legendary Olofin Ogunfunminire, it served as pepper farm plantation.
In order to curb unwarranted stealing of pepper, okro and other vegetables that people came from far and near to buy from the Aworis, they devised a plan to have their farm beyond the lagoon as Otto near the present Iddo Railway terminus used to be the meeting point for both the sellers and buyers of pepper and vegetable produce then.
It was easier for them to monitor movements to the "oko ata" (pepper farm) since canoe would be needed to transport people to the other side of the lagoon and the Bini traders and other non Awori people that normally come to patronise the pepper market would naturally not come with canoes. A bigger form of canoe were used to bring people from Bini (Benin) to "oko" (farm) and the disuse of words made the Binis to turn "oko" to a Bini word they were more comfortable with ie "eko".

Secondly, the Aworis were not part of the followers of Prince Izoduwa (Oduduwa) to any imaginary expedition to Ife.
The Aworis were the direct descendants of Olofin. They left Ile Ife in accordance with the divination of ifa that the natural settlement which Eledumare (Supreme Being) had prepared for them was far from Ile Ife and they could only know the right environ if the ritual they prepared was accepted by the river ogun goddess.
The Aworis set out for the journey until the ritual sacrifices were accepted at Isheri end of River Ogun in the present day geographical expression called Lagos State.

Many empires rose and fell without any of such empires conquering the Aworis. When the Bini Empire rose after the fall of Oyo Empire, Oba of Benin ensured that Bini war guards were sent to "Oko ata" called Eko by the Binis, to protect his subjects trading interest and in an attempt to possibly extend its frontiers as a reigning empire. Therefore, the Bini soldiers devised a means of survival by collecting royalty fee free the traders to maintain their stay and survival on Aworiland.

Having stationed themselves in Lagos, under the leadership of Addo and with the influence of Oba of Benin, they became notorious, power drunken and authoritative.
Addo installed himself as the Oba of Lagos which was a small fraction of Aworiland and since, as a matter of fact, the population of the Aworis as of that time was too small to physically occupy their whole territory (even now), they decided not to show any keen interest in the development.

The descendants of Addo ruled and named their various quarters and stations in Bini words until Erelu Kuti, a brave and respected Awori Princess, who married an Ijesha man seized the paraphernalia of Oba and insisted that her two sons should become the Obas at the same time. (I'm sure no Oba of Lagos would like to give details of this story).

At any rate, the Aworis weren't interested in contesting a situation where an immigrant was chosen to lead his fellow immigrants as Oba since the fact that the land belonged to the Aworis was not in doubt and the institution of a central Obaship was not being practised by the Aworis then.

The Oba of Lagos right from Addo to Akiolu had never contested the issue of who owned the land. They had always accepted the fact that Aworis known as "Idejos" of Lagos are the landowners.
The Aromires are actually from Ejigbo in the present day Oshodi/Isolo Local Government Area of the state.

If Oba Akiolu claims today that Lagos is not part of Yorubaland and the "idejos" keep mute, then Oba Akiolu should be able to convince us that Lagos was part or annex of Bini territory the very same stupidity of the theory that claimed Hong Kong as part of Britain not withstanding the distance between the two separate territories.
If Oba Akiolu's claim stands, then, Every Sabo, Sango, Idi Araba, Obalende and Agege in Yorubaland belongs to the Arewa immigrants and Ajao Estate, Ajegunle and Okota equally belong to the Igbo and consequently not parts of Yorubaland.

According to the Yorubas, eniti o fe je oye ti ko to si a mura lati pa itan kitan. (Whoever aspires to be accorded an undeserving title should be prepared to rewrite the history of the people).
Oba Akiolu is neither an Awori nor Yoruba, his forebears are not Lagosians in the real sense of the word. They were Binis (Arota Bini ni won). He is only making a futile attempt to rewrite history in a way that will favour his children's claim to Oba of Lagos throne. He is the first and probably going to be the only one from his lineage to ascend the throne judging by the unfolding trend of events.
He knows why he said what was credited to him if he actually stay by the story.

I am not an Historian but as bona fide Awori, I know the oral tradition of my ancestors. Let no Bini Oba in Aworiland corruptly retell the story of our land.

Kiiti gbe niibe o?

2 Likes

Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by absoluteSuccess: 8:16am On May 12, 2017
aljharem:
The Aworis Fired Back At Oba Akiolu's Alleged Attempt To Re Write The History of Lagos .

As a full blooded Awori, I disagree with the futile attempt to rewrite the history of Aworis and by extension the Yorubas as credited to Alhaji Ridwan Akiolu, the Oba of Lagos.

Firstly, the Island of Lagos was owned by the progenitor of Aworis, the Legendary Olofin Ogunfunminire, it served as pepper farm plantation.
In order to curb unwarranted stealing of pepper, okro and other vegetables that people came from far and near to buy from the Aworis, they devised a plan to have their farm beyond the lagoon as Otto near the present Iddo Railway terminus used to be the meeting point for both the sellers and buyers of pepper and vegetable produce then.
It was easier for them to monitor movements to the "oko ata" (pepper farm) since canoe would be needed to transport people to the other side of the lagoon and the Bini traders and other non Awori people that normally come to patronise the pepper market would naturally not come with canoes. A bigger form of canoe were used to bring people from Bini (Benin) to "oko" (farm) and the disuse of words made the Binis to turn "oko" to a Bini word they were more comfortable with ie "eko".

Secondly, the Aworis were not part of the followers of Prince Izoduwa (Oduduwa) to any imaginary expedition to Ife.
The Aworis were the direct descendants of Olofin. They left Ile Ife in accordance with the divination of ifa that the natural settlement which Eledumare (Supreme Being) had prepared for them was far from Ile Ife and they could only know the right environ if the ritual they prepared was accepted by the river ogun goddess.
The Aworis set out for the journey until the ritual sacrifices were accepted at Isheri end of River Ogun in the present day geographical expression called Lagos State.

Many empires rose and fell without any of such empires conquering the Aworis. When the Bini Empire rose after the fall of Oyo Empire, Oba of Benin ensured that Bini war guards were sent to "Oko ata" called Eko by the Binis, to protect his subjects trading interest and in an attempt to possibly extend its frontiers as a reigning empire. Therefore, the Bini soldiers devised a means of survival by collecting royalty fee free the traders to maintain their stay and survival on Aworiland.

Having stationed themselves in Lagos, under the leadership of Addo and with the influence of Oba of Benin, they became notorious, power drunken and authoritative.
Addo installed himself as the Oba of Lagos which was a small fraction of Aworiland and since, as a matter of fact, the population of the Aworis as of that time was too small to physically occupy their whole territory (even now), they decided not to show any keen interest in the development.

The descendants of Addo ruled and named their various quarters and stations in Bini words until Erelu Kuti, a brave and respected Awori Princess, who married an Ijesha man seized the paraphernalia of Oba and insisted that her two sons should become the Obas at the same time. (I'm sure no Oba of Lagos would like to give details of this story).

At any rate, the Aworis weren't interested in contesting a situation where an immigrant was chosen to lead his fellow immigrants as Oba since the fact that the land belonged to the Aworis was not in doubt and the institution of a central Obaship was not being practised by the Aworis then.

The Oba of Lagos right from Addo to Akiolu had never contested the issue of who owned the land. They had always accepted the fact that Aworis known as "Idejos" of Lagos are the landowners.
The Aromires are actually from Ejigbo in the present day Oshodi/Isolo Local Government Area of the state.

If Oba Akiolu claims today that Lagos is not part of Yorubaland and the "idejos" keep mute, then Oba Akiolu should be able to convince us that Lagos was part or annex of Bini territory the very same stupidity of the theory that claimed Hong Kong as part of Britain not withstanding the distance between the two separate territories.
If Oba Akiolu's claim stands, then, Every Sabo, Sango, Idi Araba, Obalende and Agege in Yorubaland belongs to the Arewa immigrants and Ajao Estate, Ajegunle and Okota equally belong to the Igbo and consequently not parts of Yorubaland.

According to the Yorubas, eniti o fe je oye ti ko to si a mura lati pa itan kitan. (Whoever aspires to be accorded an undeserving title should be prepared to rewrite the history of the people).
Oba Akiolu is neither an Awori nor Yoruba, his forebears are not Lagosians in the real sense of the word. They were Binis (Arota Bini ni won). He is only making a futile attempt to rewrite history in a way that will favour his children's claim to Oba of Lagos throne. He is the first and probably going to be the only one from his lineage to ascend the throne judging by the unfolding trend of events.

I am not an Historian but as bona fide Awori, I know the oral tradition of my ancestors. Let no Bini Oba in Aworiland corruptly retell the story of our land.

Kiiti gbe niibe o?

Quite an insightful piece bro, but most of the arguments does not add up.
Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by Olu317(m): 9:20am On May 12, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Quite an insightful piece bro, but most of the arguments does not add up.
I have seen many insensitivity of 17th century upward Yoruba kings, warriors and noble Yoruba descendants,in which they did harm to Yoruba history by engaging themselves in war of greed and supremacy,which didn't allow the history to be held jealously. This is one of the reason that Some BINIs want to take advantage of this and want to attach themselves to Yoruba history forcefully to the detriment of Yoruba heritage . It is foolhardy to read all sort of fabled story about one BINI Ashipa, that gave birth to one Ado. Despite, these information, history showed that Alaagba was the father of the ruling house of Eko. This story of BINI's claim of attachment to Yoruba places are filled with inconsistency. I only want Yoruba people to do more on telling the story as been laid down through generations. Else, one day, some BINI people will just create another version of history to tell our future generations of BINIS being the original inhabitants of ILE IFE.
Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by absoluteSuccess: 10:38am On May 12, 2017
Olu317:
I have seen many insensitivity of 17th century upward Yoruba kings, warriors and noble Yoruba descendants,in which they did harm to Yoruba history by engaging themselves in war of greed and supremacy,which didn't allow the history to be held jealously. This is one of the reason that Some BINIs want to take advantage of this and want to attach themselves to Yoruba history forcefully to the detriment of Yoruba heritage . It is foolhardy to read all sort of fabled story about one BINI Ashipa, that gave birth to one Ado. Despite, these information, history showed that Alaagba was the father of the ruling house of Eko. This story of BINI's claim of attachment to Yoruba places are filled with inconsistency. I only want Yoruba people to do more on telling the story as been laid down through generations. Else, one day, some BINI people will just create another version of history to tell our future generations of BINIS being the original inhabitants of ILE IFE.

Olu317,

Thanks for continued interest in Yoruba antiquity that we all shared. I will respond to your first post in a little while. Moreso,

I want all of us to understand that Lagos island is indeed one of the landing ports of Yoruba founding fathers, as is Ile-Ife.
Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by Olu317(m): 1:23pm On May 12, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Olu317,

Thanks for continued interest in Yoruba antiquity that we all shared. I will respond to your first post in a little while. Moreso,

I want all of us to understand that Lagos island is indeed one of the landing ports of Yoruba founding fathers, as is Ile-Ife.
Yes bro, I know it was. There has to be a connection because OORE mentioned part of Yoruba ancestors coming out of the sea and Odua the man called Odua was the leader and his benefactor. There is a missing information to this statement How did they came out of sea without a ship or boat? This has to mean Odua and his first warriors had landed first and other continents followed. If you visit Idanre, the boat called OKO NUA,( boat )which exist at Idanre couldn't just dropped from the sky. Certain information is still begging to be unravelled. This boat's picture can't be taken, many years, ago, One of my friend tried it, the pic went blurred. The ancient name of Idanre was Oke-Ife . Perhaps, the boat(s) or ship(s) which must have brought them to this spot,where Oore mentioned need be searched out . I am sure the mentioned location must have hidden secret of Yoruba past history. Tradition has it that the Oore emerged from the Okun Moba (Moba Sea) in the present coastal area of Lagos with a Calabash containing water in his hand, beads around his neck and a beaded crown on his head. And Oore is always the first to announce OONI'S passage to the great beyond. I have even seen a place called “Jebu " in the lower part of Ancient Egypt called Élephante . I want to learn from you what you know.
Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by absoluteSuccess: 2:55pm On May 12, 2017
Olu317:
If it's true from what I have seen. Descendants of Odu'a across many places,all of them point toward ILE IFE, I just wonder why Oba BINI and Oba Akiolu are lying?

Well I can't say they were lying, they were challenging the popular beliefs that made them offshoot of ile-Ife.

And the word “Ado" is connected with many places in Yoruba land . This is because, I just wonder why Oba Eko has oriki connected to osanyi and wouldn't know his own family history . And you are correct, there is a chain of connection through many Yoruba ancient towns to unravel the mystery. Further more, I think it is high time, Yoruba history is being thought to avoid the collateral distortion as OBA of Lagos has done. An elderly man that doesn't know the history of OLOGUN KUTERU, his own patrilineal father. It is such a shame.

Well, I must say I'm not in support of the chutzpah of Oba Akiolu, but its a sign that something is wrong with Yoruba history.

The custodians of Yoruba history are at a crossroad: our myth of origin has serve its time, its time for truth to unveil itself to the power of empirical analysis.

Trying hard to force a historical dogma on free people is the height of insanity.

The rule of history is simple: don't impose yourself, your myths or assumptions, let the facts be known, so as to set the people free.

We, the Awori have a tradition that look to Iseri, before the advent of 'modern historians' and their subtle 'intellectual colonialism' which enslaved the chequered Yoruba history to Oyo/Ile-Ife .

History is to set people free, I'm not a party to a tradition that people invents to keep me subservient in my own culture, whereby, one is of no historical significance other than as being the extra people

Everything about Yoruba antiquity did not all happen at Ile-ife, as often touted by many unknown people that has always help us to tell us our history.

Many of the historical claims are what happened in the imagination of the authors, not what really happened in historical time.

But what our tradition says is, we came from Iseri-imole. We are thus reckoned as 'omo oloko nile Iseri' the scions of sailors from the house of Israel. I've used this belief to get all my claims to this point, let others use theirs too to get their 'true' answers.

We came with the founding fathers of Yorubaland. Oba Ado, Oduduwa, Orunmila and Osolo are some of our great heroes.

I don't know the clan that 'ogunfunminire' represent among the Awori clan, but I am aware of the Olofin house, Olofin is another name for Oduduwa.

Many will argue that there are different waves of migration to Yorubaland, but my clan of the Awori came with Oba Ado, the earliest Yoruba explorer, and their memorial is set to Odu Ose:

Adia fun Oba Ado, ejigbara ileke, tinlo ree bawon mule ibudo....

This was the exploration that brought Awori from Iseri to Yorubaland. Duality of hero is rampant in Yoruba history, this is Oba Ado, who establish Lagos Island.

Where was Iseri? that to me is ancient Israel.

After the success of their exploration, Oba Ado have this to say of his team:

Awa donile, aoku mo: awa dopitan ile.

Awa donile bi ado, a digba oke, a lo gboingboin.

Must the story of these explorers be forgotten so that we can have peace as migrants from Ile-ife? I really don't know.

Ado is the birthplace of Ifa, (Ado nile Ifa)but the innate greed to over-concentrate 'all thing Yoruba' at only one place has made modern historians rob us, so that 'Ewi nle Ado may have become Ewi nle...'

History should be about places and people, not concentrated in one particular place as though its the only place where history happened at through aeons. That's the only way our history can be all encompassing.

1 Like

Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by toyinid78: 7:02pm On Jan 13, 2022
aljharem:

I am not an Historian but as bona fide Awori, I know the oral tradition of my ancestors. Let no Bini Oba in Aworiland corruptly retell the story of our land. Where in awori land are u from ?

Kiiti gbe niibe o?
Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by Jameseddi1: 9:42pm On Jan 13, 2022
absoluteSuccess:

Well I can't say they were lying, they were challenging the popular beliefs that made them offshoot of ile-Ife.

Well, I must say I'm not in support of the chutzpah of Oba Akiolu, but its a sign that something is wrong with Yoruba history.

The custodians of Yoruba history are at a crossroad: our myth of origin has serve its time, its time for truth to unveil itself to the power of empirical analysis.

Trying hard to force a historical dogma on free people is the height of insanity.

The rule of history is simple: don't impose yourself, your myths or assumptions, let the facts be known, so as to set the people free.

We, the Awori have a tradition that look to Iseri, before the advent of 'modern historians' and their subtle 'intellectual colonialism' which enslaved the chequered Yoruba history to Oyo/Ile-Ife .

History is to set people free, I'm not a party to a tradition that people invents to keep me subservient in my own culture, whereby, one is of no historical significance other than as being the extra people

Everything about Yoruba antiquity did not all happen at Ile-ife, as often touted by many unknown people that has always help us to tell us our history.

Many of the historical claims are what happened in the imagination of the authors, not what really happened in historical time.

But what our tradition says is, we came from Iseri-imole. We are thus reckoned as 'omo oloko nile Iseri' the scions of sailors from the house of Israel. I've used this belief to get all my claims to this point, let others use theirs too to get their 'true' answers.

We came with the founding fathers of Yorubaland. Oba Ado, Oduduwa, Orunmila and Osolo are some of our great heroes.

I don't know the clan that 'ogunfunminire' represent among the Awori clan, but I am aware of the Olofin house, Olofin is another name for Oduduwa.

Many will argue that there are different waves of migration to Yorubaland, but my clan of the Awori came with Oba Ado, the earliest Yoruba explorer, and their memorial is set to Odu Ose:

Adia fun Oba Ado, ejigbara ileke, tinlo ree bawon mule ibudo....

This was the exploration that brought Awori from Iseri to Yorubaland. Duality of hero is rampant in Yoruba history, this is Oba Ado, who establish Lagos Island.

Where was Iseri? that to me is ancient Israel.

After the success of their exploration, Oba Ado have this to say of his team:

Awa donile, aoku mo: awa dopitan ile.

Awa donile bi ado, a digba oke, a lo gboingboin.

Must the story of these explorers be forgotten so that we can have peace as migrants from Ile-ife? I really don't know.

Ado is the birthplace of Ifa, (Ado nile Ifa)but the innate greed to over-concentrate 'all thing Yoruba' at only one place has made modern historians rob us, so that 'Ewi nle Ado may have become Ewi nle...'

History should be about places and people, not concentrated in one particular place as though its the only place where history happened at through aeons. That's the only way our history can be all encompassing.

And this Oba Ado came from Benin Empire anyway Benin or the Edo is was known as Ado before. So the king is not far from the truth that they came from Benin empire aworis might also be Benin descendants as well. As they are many lineage of Oba Ado Ashipa who speak Yoruba today
Re: A Word For The Elders Of Isale Eko by absoluteSuccess: 6:56pm On Feb 06, 2022
Jameseddi1:

And this Oba Ado came from Benin Empire anyway Benin or the Edo is was known as Ado before. So the king is not far from the truth that they came from Benin empire aworis might also be Benin descendants as well. As they are many lineage of Oba Ado Ashipa who speak Yoruba today

We're all brethren.

Ado is Edo: you can't constrain people's tongues to pronounce the same word the same way with shift in time and space.

Thanks, God bless.

(1) (Reply)

Traditional Abiriba Names / Name Your Favourite Igbo Musics / 1811 Revolt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.