Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

What Is God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is God? (9823 Views)

Is God Really Omniscience? Does He Know Everything? / Jesus Christ Is God Almighty :ask Me Anything!! / Is God Sovereign? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is God? by budaatum: 9:18pm On Feb 19, 2018
This question was asked of me by MuttleyLaff here. I have created a thread for it to share it with others who may not wish to derail John's Gospel.

His question has provoked thought in me and I believe it would provoke thought in you too. So, no knee jerks please. Think before you respond.

What is God?

2 Likes

Re: What Is God? by MuttleyLaff: 9:46pm On Feb 19, 2018
budaatum:
This question was asked of me by MuttleyLaff here.
I have created a thread for it to share it with others who may not wish to derail John's Gospel.

His question has provoked thought in me and I believe it would provoke thought in you too.
So, no knee jerks please. Think before you respond.

What is God?
"What is God?" is an incomplete and isolated enquiry

The stool presented by OP ought have at least three legs
and not this a one-legged stool, that's doomed to topple whoever sits on it

The subject of discussion requires a 3-legged stool of understanding,
which are:
1) "What is God",
2) "what is god(s)"
and 3) "compare & contrast God and god(s)"

So, in a thorough manner, convincingly describe what God and god(s) are,
Describe compare & contrast each, in all ways and manner you've come to understand what both noun words are and mean.
Also give, as much examples as can muster, that illustrates God and god(s)

Exhaustively and to the best of your understanding, do it
Dont hold back, dont pull punches, give both your best shot, like as if your life depended on it.
With the full force of all your understanding, smash both, with examples and/or explanations, that blows them out of this world

I second OP's advice, about no knee jerks please,
Considering thread is Rated M, please no trigger happy, typing from the hips, with really, very little reason to

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by jerflakes(m): 12:48am On Feb 20, 2018
God is not a person

God is a thing.

A force

4 Likes

Re: What Is God? by MuttleyLaff: 6:36am On Feb 21, 2018
jerflakes:
God is not a person
God is a thing.
A force
Your "God is not a person, is a thing, a force" input is welcome and taken on board
but remember for balancing, we're being asked to sit on a three-legged stool
Re: What Is God? by butterflyl1on: 7:19am On Feb 21, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

which are:
1) "What is God",
2) "what is god(s)"

Describe compare & contrast each, in all ways and manner you've come to understand what both noun words are and mean.

Dont hold back, dont pull punches, give both your best shot, like as if your life depended on it.
With the full force of all your understanding, smash both, with examples and/or explanations, that blows them out of this world

I second OP's advice, about no knee jerks please,
Considering thread is Rated M, please no trigger happy, typing from the hips, with really, very little reason to

My man may I be permitted to be a referee, an observer, or something like that on this thread?

I am fascinated by this your three legged stool but wouldn't you think that a 4 legged stool would have been much better?

3. How is it possible that God came about? Spontaneity or relevance? Were gods created?

Buddatum and his one legged stool

Re: What Is God? by jerflakes(m): 7:34am On Feb 21, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
Your "God is not a person, is a thing, a force" input is welcome and taken on board
but remember for balancing, we're being asked to sit on a three-legged stool

3 Likes

Re: What Is God? by MuttleyLaff: 8:15am On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:
My man may I be permitted to be a referee, an observer, or something like that on this thread?
We'll referee each other
I have whistle and cards too

butterflyl1on:
I am fascinated by this your three legged stool
but wouldn't you think that a 4 legged stool would have been much better?
The three legged stool will fare better.
On uneven grounds, a three legged stool will always be stable
but a four legged stool wont, it will always wobble

butterflyl1on:
3. How is it possible that God came about?
Spontaneity or relevance?
Were gods created?
Ah-ha, that's why we need a stool with three legs to sit on to see

If the subject of discussion centres round each of the below stool's three legs of understanding:
1) "What is God",
2) "what is god(s)"

then we'll have a reasonable chance, to know, how is it possible that God came about, were gods created, spontaneity or relevance etcetera

butterflyl1on:

Buddatum and his one legged stool
jerflakes has just sat on budaatum's one legged stool
Re: What Is God? by jerflakes(m): 8:20am On Feb 21, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

If the subject of discussion centres round each of the below stool's three legs of understanding:
1) "What is God",
2) "what is god(s)"

then we'll have a reasonable chance, to know, how is it possible that God came about, were gods created, spontaneity or relevance etcetera

3 Likes

Re: What Is God? by MuttleyLaff: 8:31am On Feb 21, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

jerflakes:
Put some meat on the three bones remark you posted
Dont forget to talk about god(s)
In addition compare and contrast God with an inexhaustible list of all the gods you've learned and/or somehow know about
Re: What Is God? by butterflyl1on: 8:59am On Feb 21, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
We'll referee each other
I have whistle and cards too

1) "What is God",
2) "what is god(s)"

OK gotcha. So I will referee and you will be my assistant referee grin

We also would employ the services of goal mouth technology To Help where we cannot. Savvy?

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Emmanystone: 11:06am On Feb 21, 2018
budaatum:
This question was asked of me by MuttleyLaff here. I have created a thread for it to share it with others who may not wish to derail John's Gospel.

His question has provoked thought in me and I believe it would provoke thought in you too. So, no knee jerks please. Think before you respond.

What is God?

What or who is God?
Re: What Is God? by Emmanystone: 11:11am On Feb 21, 2018
budaatum:

What is God?
First off, the noun God is a title, not a name of a person. Other titles in this class are, Chief, Mr, King, Sir. All of these titles are WHO and not WHAT, because they refer to living persons not objects.

So, your question is flawed from all fronts. Try again.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Emmanystone: 11:13am On Feb 21, 2018
jerflakes:
God is not a person

God is a thing.

A force
Explain pls.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 1:34pm On Feb 21, 2018
I like the fact you are all requiring a definition of the axiomatic question "what is god". Goes to show that what may be self evident to some may not be self evident to others.

Please do not limit yourselves to any number of legs on the stool. Put as many on it as puts your response across as you wish. There are no limits. As MuttleyLaff Said:
MuttleyLaff:
"

With the full force of all your understanding, smash both, with examples and/or explanations, that blows them out of this world.
Re: What Is God? by MuttleyLaff: 2:34pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

budaatum:
I like the fact you are all requiring a definition of the axiomatic question "what is god".
Goes to show that what may be self evident to some may not be self evident to others.

Please do not limit yourselves to any number of legs on the stool. Put as many on it as puts your response across as you wish.
There are no limits.
Referee do your work, as people are only sticking to or addressing only just God or god(s).
Make them adhere to the 3-legged stool's parameters
Re: What Is God? by butterflyl1on: 2:49pm On Feb 21, 2018
budaatum:
I like the fact you are all requiring a definition of the axiomatic question "what is god". Goes to show that what may be self evident to some may not be self evident to others.

Please do not limit yourselves to any number of legs on the stool. Put as many on it as puts your response across as you wish. There are no limits. As MuttleyLaff Said:

God differs from god. Ask the right questions with the right words.

What is god is wrong IMHO and can only be right if referring to lesser dieties and not God. Are you referring to lesser dieties?

As the person who asked the question, what then are your own thoughts about gods or God and let us know if to you there are differences. If any, state them to the best of your knowledge
Re: What Is God? by Niflheim(m): 2:54pm On Feb 21, 2018
God:A cave man's fantasy!!!
Re: What Is God? by plaetton: 4:07pm On Feb 21, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

which are:
1) "What is God",
2) "what is god(s)"

Its kind of funny that you are asking the question, answering the same question, while still asking the question.
By trying to show a difference between god with a small 'g' and god spelt with a capital 'g' , you are directly propositioning that such entities absolutely exists and their differences do exist.

For example, I have no idea what in the universe you are talking about when you make repeated references to small letter 'g' and capital letter 'g' gods. I don't find those in any science or astronomical journal.

Since you are absolutely sure of these convictions, the onus falls squarely on YOU to DEFINE these capital letter 'g ' and small letter 'g' entities .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is God? by MuttleyLaff: 4:35pm On Feb 21, 2018
plaetton:
Its kind of funny that you are asking the question, answering the same question, while still asking the question.
By trying to show a difference between god with a small 'g' and god spelt with a capital 'g', you are directly propositioning that such entities absolutely exists and their differences do exist.

For example, I have no idea what in the universe you are talking about when you make repeated references to small letter 'g' and capital letter 'g' gods.
I don't find those in any science or astronomical journal
Haven't answered any questions, just placed three legs on the stool

plaetton:
Since you are absolutely sure of these convictions, the onus falls squarely on YOU to DEFINE these capital letter 'g ' and small letter 'g' entities
We are pursuing a line of enquiry on how each of us describes God, describes the variation of gods, plus how we compare and contrast them with each other

Just jump and dug in.
Give it a stab and stop nitpicking
Re: What Is God? by plaetton: 4:45pm On Feb 21, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
Haven't answered any questions, just placed three legs on the stool

We are pursuing a line of enquiry on how each of us describes God, describes the variation of gods, plus how we compare and contrast them with each other

Just jump and dug in.
Give it a stab and stop nitpicking

I don't believe that any such thing as capital letter God or small letter god exists.

The fact that we are here trying to define it is evidence that it is merely an abstract idea.

However, there are ideas about god or your GOD.
I therefore urge you to correct the question by rephrasing it and asking for people's ideas about god, rather than asking them to define what is yet in evidence.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 5:49pm On Feb 21, 2018
Gods are human constructs (entities, ideas) that people use to explain existence to themselves and others.

I make no distinction between small letter 'g' god and capital letter 'g' god, except that some, if not most people elevate their god above everyone else's god and like to refer to it as a capital letter 'g' god.

I have posted a list of different gods here.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is God? by MuttleyLaff: 6:07pm On Feb 21, 2018
plaetton:
I don't believe that any such thing as capital letter God or small letter god exists.

The fact that we are here trying to define it is evidence that it is merely an abstract idea

However, there are ideas about god or your GOD.
I therefore urge you to correct the question by rephrasing it and asking for people's ideas about god, rather than asking them to define what is yet in evidence.
Let's not get personal the subjects of the discussion.

This isn't a we or us against them,
but sheer curiosity to see what we will each put down when asked to write about God, gods plus comparing and contrasting God and the variants of gods that are.

It is those ideas, your understanding, how and/what you know about god(s) and "your God" that we want to pursue and explore

It is perfectly OK, if you don't believe that any such thing as capital letter God or small letter god exists.

You have an interesting point of view on God and god(s)

Why don't you believe capital first letter God and/or small first letter gods don't exist?
Re: What Is God? by plaetton: 6:27pm On Feb 21, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

Why don't you believe capital first letter God and/or small first letter gods don't exist?

Probably for the same reasons you don't believe in the existence of the Toothfairy.

There is no difference between god, capital or small letter, and the Toothfairy.

It's all a matter of perspectives.
The mind`s perspective.
Most children are made into ( more like conned) believing in the existence of the Toothfairy, Santa Claus, etc, in the same way they brainwashed, conned, blackmailed into believing in the existence of small letter and capital letter god or gods.

Of course, You know that there is ZERO scientific evidence that such belief are nothing other than glorified primitive myths and lores.

Now , let me reiterate that the fact we have countless religions, countless sects within these religions, all trying to weave their own concept of god, and the very fact that we are here, using 21st century scientific tools arguing and trying to define god is the strongest proof that god is an idea, an always evolving idea.

Therefore, , any definition of god by anyone today would simply , just like in ancient times, be a projection of current perspective, just another idea.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by MuttleyLaff: 6:53pm On Feb 21, 2018
plaetton:
Probably for the same reasons you don't believe in the existence of the Toothfairy.

There is no difference between god, capital or small letter, and the Toothfairy.

It's all a matter of perspectives.
The mind`s perspective.
Most children are made into (more like conned) believing in the existence of the Toothfairy, Santa Claus, etc, in the same way they brainwashed, conned, blackmailed into believing in the existence of small letter and capital letter god or gods.

Of course, You know that there is ZERO scientific evidence that such belief are nothing other than glorified primitive myths and lores.

Now, let me reiterate that the fact we have countless religions, countless sects within these religions, all trying to weave their own concept of god, and the very fact that we are here, using 21st century scientific tools arguing and trying to define god is the strongest proof that god is an idea, an always evolving idea.

Therefore, any definition of god by anyone today would simply, just like in ancient times, be a projection of current perspective, just another idea.
With all due respect, the subject of discussion is God, variant of gods plus comparing and contrasting them with each other.

No one on the thread, has specified that the write up be done in relation to "religion"

Supposing I don't believe in tooth fairies, Santa Claus etcetera doesn't in the slightest, hinder me in writing all I know and understand about any of them

Your interesting take, that there is no difference between god, capital or small letter, and the Toothfairy has been taken on board but why is your position that there aren't any difference between god, with capital first letter g and lowercase first letter g?

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by butterflyl1on: 6:57pm On Feb 21, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
With all due respect, the subject of discussion is God, variant of gods plus comparing and contrasting them with each other.

No one on the thread, has specified that the write up be done in relation to "religion"

Supposing I don't believe in tooth fairies, Santa Claus etcetera doesn't in the slightest, hinder me in writing all I know and understand about any of them

Your interesting take, that there is no difference between god, capital or small letter, and the Toothfairy has been taken on board but why is your position that there aren't any difference between god, with capital first letter g and lowercase first letter g?

That guy is like a pit bull on Flakka. He only sees what he wants to see and barks in disobedience to training instructions.

You have a huge hill to climb with him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by plaetton: 7:08pm On Feb 21, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

Point of correction sir.
If you neither believe in the existence of the Toothfairy nor Santa Claus, then you can only write or express opinion about the IDEAS or beliefs being peddled about Santa Clause and the Toothfairy . I don`t see how you can offer a definitive analysis of something whose existence is unproven.

If you keep trying to get a comparison of Capital letter god and small letter god, you are taking them from the realm of being mere Mental Projections , and projecting them as actual things that can be objectively observed, classified and analyzed ,.which they are not.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 7:32pm On Feb 21, 2018
What do you mean by "why is your position that there aren't any....."

The question is "What is god? There is no reason why plaetton must justify his or her position! Unless he or she wants to.

MuttleyLaff:

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 7:33pm On Feb 21, 2018
Point of correction
The fact that one does not believe in a thing does not limit one from expressing an opinion about that thing, provided one knows about the thing. It does not even have to exist before you can have an opinion about the thing.

plaetton:

Point of correction sir.
If you neither believe in the existence of the Toothfairy nor Santa Claus, then you can only write or express opinion about the IDEAS or beliefs being peddled about Santa Clause and the Toothfairy . I don`t see how you can offer a definitive analysis of something whose existence is unproven.

If you keep trying to get a comparison of Capital letter god and small letter god, you are taking them from the realm of being mere Mental Projections , and projecting them as actual things that can be objectively observed, classified and analyzed ,.which they are not.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by festwiz(m): 7:34pm On Feb 21, 2018
God (The gods) is a gallery in a theater.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_gods_(theatrical)

2 Likes

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 7:34pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

That guy is like a pit bull on Flakka. He only sees what he wants to see and barks in disobedience to training instructions.

You have a huge hill to climb with him.
Is this you refereeing, or stoking the flames?

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 7:37pm On Feb 21, 2018
Emmanystone:

What or who is God?
Answer the one that best puts your position across please.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by plaetton: 7:39pm On Feb 21, 2018
budaatum:
Point of correction
The fact that one does not believe in a thing does not limit one from expressing an opinion about that thing, provided one knows about the thing. It does not even have to exist before you can have an opinion about the thing.

Pls understand my point.
He is using the wrong phrases. That's what I am trying to point out to him.

If you don`t believe in the existence of something, you cannot write definitively about that thing.
However, you are very free to write about the prevailing Ideas or the prevailing Notions of that thing as it effects the society, humanity, or how such Ideas or Notions have evolved over the eons of human History .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Where Are You Worshipping At Today? / Choristers Please Help With Lyrics / MAN Is Made Up Of Spirit, Soul And Body

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.