Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,076 members, 7,953,291 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:37 PM

Before You Quit That Job!!! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Before You Quit That Job!!! (10136 Views)

Can You Quit Your Career For Marriage? The 'agbokolori' Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before You Quit That Job!!! by Neurotika: 1:33pm On Feb 20, 2018
Autonomy, complexity and a connection between effort and reward are three most important factors a work must have for it to be satisfying. However, desperation is a biitch. Pushes you to a point you think you just can't withstand the toxicity. Then anything that comes, you jump ship. Reality dawns, you then start giving others advice. Got one pal a well paying job, she couldn't withstand the pressure, resigned. Now living at the mercies of friends' benevolence. I don't roll like that. When shiit gets real, I activate the beast mode. Money and emotions don't mix. As far as the job pays the bills, it makes no sense leaving out of emotional reasons.

1 Like

Re: Before You Quit That Job!!! by odimbannamdi(m): 1:43pm On Feb 20, 2018
True, when offered a new job, as much as you try to gather information (from the internet, chatting up some members of staff you see at the company, etc) about your prospective employer, you can only get first-hand information when you get inside the company - that is, when you resume.

The best and safest way would be to take some days off (say 3 - 5 days) at your present place of work, resume at your new place and get first hand experience working with your new coy, while interacting with your new colleagues

If their working conditions are conducive for you, you can decide to stay. Otherwise, you can always return to your present employers.

Meanwhile OP, your posts are always enlightening, but i noticed they contain a lots of errors that do not make them the delightful read they ought to be. I can join your editorial team and make them better. Find the edited copy of this current post

Human wants, it is said, are insatiable. We all have an endless craving for more. In the work environment, the case is not different. Either out of greed, necessities or both, man at one point or the other in his career has to change from one job to another. Even though the idea of changing jobs may look like a simple and positive move, it is not always the case as many people live their entire life regretting such move, especially if the movement is within one-man establishments which are fraught with so many deceptions and camouflage to lure new recruits in, only to get in and be confronted with different realities. This does not rule out the fact that changing job is expected to be a progressive move until one gets a stable and well-structured work environment, with a competitive pay.

It is rampant among the employed to always seek companies with bigger pay. Unfortunately many do not bother to consider other variables and components of the packages. In order not to make one’s movement a regrettable one, some salient questions need to be raised and answered. For those moving from one job to another, it is an even greater risk compared to those quitting a ‘bad’ job for nothing. This article addresses the former group and suspends the latter for subsequent article.

You have a thousand and one complaints about your current job, almost everybody does, but before you move to another job, have you bothered to make some findings about the new job, so that you won’t end up jumping from the frying pan into the fire

Are you quitting your current job because of the pay? Well, i am not in dissonance that you should opt for a higher pay, but be very sure that where you are going actually offer higher take home in the long run.
Have you considered the ‘insignificant’ benefits your current employer offer; the L& opportunities, the leisure time, the comfortable work environment, the well-structured system, the availability of room for career growth and advancement, among others? Does this new company offer all of this, or you are just being lured by their pay irrespective of the unavailability of other perks?

Will it be easy for you to move on from this prospective employer of yours to another in the nearest future, or you don’t think that is a factor to be put into consideration?

Also, have you taken your time to look at the prospect of the company compared to where you want to quit from? Do you envision them still in business in the next five to ten years? What about prompt payment? Remember companies that owe salaries don’t announce it, you discover that when you are already in, except you are smart enough to do your underground findings before you accept their offer. Your excitement to leave your current job did not allow you to find out about what welfare package (such as lunch and leave allowances, 13th month, medical care, etc) they have for their staff. You may be shocked that all they have for you aside your salary is your pension contributions. Is that the same with where you intend leaving, or you are good to go with their gross package-salary?

There is an old saying that ‘not until a woman tries two husbands, she won’t be able to tell a better one’. In other words, as a job changer, don’t wait until you have a second job before you realize the better one. Make sure you do thorough findings of the new job before you resign from your current one.

Finally, being reluctant to quit a job for another may be referred to as “the fear of the unknown”, especially in companies with slaving work conditions. Similarly, impatience with your current employer may be referred to as “impatience with the known”. The problem lies in an excess of either of them. Too much ‘fear of the unknown’ may leave you condemned to a bad place of work for the rest of your life, whereas ‘impatience with the known’ might send you to a worse place of work. Drawing the line between the two extremes is a pertinent decision an individual should make. In your decision making process therefore, all the aforementioned should be given a thorough thought.
Re: Before You Quit That Job!!! by mysteriousD: 1:46pm On Feb 20, 2018
EFGH:
I am also in the same dilemma right now, my current place of work is just so awkward.
Can you imagine I work 12hrs daily including weekends?
Besides the take home pay is just nothing to write home about.
I am seriously thinking of how to raise money and start up a production business.
May God help everyone facing challenges in their current place of work, Amen!
Sit down think well...there's what is called emotional toture
Re: Before You Quit That Job!!! by bukatyne(f): 1:54pm On Feb 20, 2018
scipy:
I take it as this post is referring to me atm
I am about changing job come next week, though I have done extensive background checks, I still get some eerie feelings and subtle warnings -such as this post - about not changing.
On paper, the new place seems better - according to the research done - but then, these subtle warnings keep coming

I already accepted the offer tho
So any change in position might make me look irresponsible and unreliable

You can politely reject it.
Re: Before You Quit That Job!!! by Samakus(m): 1:54pm On Feb 20, 2018
mrmorgan223:
account boosting strategy

You for don rich pass Dangote na. Why scampering for subscribers?
Re: Before You Quit That Job!!! by Nobody: 2:09pm On Feb 20, 2018
drop your employee mentality, create an idea. employers will only pay you to stay alive .
Re: Before You Quit That Job!!! by Imoksp(m): 2:42pm On Feb 20, 2018
EFGH:
I am also in the same dilemma right now, my current place of work is just so awkward.
Can you imagine I work 12hrs daily including weekends?
Besides the take home pay is just nothing to write home about.
I am seriously thinking of how to raise money and start up a production business.
May God help everyone facing challenges in their current place of work, Amen!

Hello. Can we do a joint business together? 08165807578.
Re: Before You Quit That Job!!! by Onyenna(m): 3:27pm On Feb 20, 2018
Emmanuel602:

I'm inspired Boss

The truth is, starting on your own ain't easy BUT, with time, you'll start earning more than the employed ones...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Quit That Job!!! by 7ultramed: 4:34pm On Feb 20, 2018
Are you tired on being single and its accompanying Loneliness?
Are you tired of being prophesied to that every other year is your year with nothing at end of it?
Are you one who believe in TRUE LOVE and happy family?
Are you a single working class lady/man?
Are you tired of scammers and frauds that collect money to be matchmade?
Are you one with friends and loved ones who are ripe for marriage but still single?
Are you tired of platforms that offer no hope and help to your singlesness?
Are you ready to make 2018 the year to settle down?
And are you willing to give love a chance?

Genuine matchmakings are already happening on this Single connecting platform From Lagos to Abuja, Delta, Kano, Port-harcourt, Edo, Ogun, Oyo and accross the country, genuine singles are been connected on a daily basis

On this Singles Matchmaking Platform, we mean READY-FOR-MARRIAGE total seriousness!!

Our mission is simple: Creating Relationships. Connecting Soulmates

Joining is ABSOLUTELY FREE!

NOTE: Add the Admin on Whatsapp or Telegram O81-(6342-9615) with request to be added to the Most Exciting World of Genuine Singles Matchmaking (T&C for Security Reasons Apply!)

Add Admin on O81-(6342-9615) on whatsapp or Telegram

Re: Before You Quit That Job!!! by makydebbie(f): 5:21pm On Feb 20, 2018
Why do I feel this op is talking to me? I want to quit my job joor. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Before You Quit That Job!!! by FunnyDude(m): 8:40am On Feb 21, 2018
True talk

(1) (2) (Reply)

If Given A Complete Freedom To Start Afresh, What Profession Would You Choose? / The Nairalife Of A Student Doubling As A Software Engineer / Ladies Shouldn't Be Allowed To Be Judges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.