Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,439 members, 7,853,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 07:42 AM

Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! (102268 Views)

How Young Nigerians Are Investing To Leave The Country / Leave The Country Or Stay Back And Start Something?please Help / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Aphrodite007(f): 12:42am On Feb 25, 2018
dubbiskelly:
The good thing about opinions is that they are personal and not necessarily indicative of fact. I left Naija a couple of years ago after working with many companies as a nurse. My goal of coming to the UK was to do a degree for my course for just 10 months after being told I’d do same for 4 years in Naija. To cut the story short, I’m fully employed in the NHS and earning a decent living after passing all their qualifying exams.

The notion that the UK does not want Nigerians is erroneous, they are only taking steps to ensure jobs are available to citizens first before outsiders are considered, unlike Nigeria where anyone with a light skin is offered jobs as expatriates without looking the way of locals.

Nye nye nye!

This is so condescending! So. You didn’t have it in mind to work in the Uk when you went to study right? It was your spirit that applied for the job, paid for the English tests and showed up at the interviews?

Madam/Oga, I know the stress that many friends of mine went through to work at the NHS, only 3 got in out of 7, and the 3 wrote their English tests more than 4 times so please keep your condescending attitude to yourself.

We are trying to let people know that there’s nothing in the UK for them, and all you’re doing is rubbing it in their faces that studying should be the aim, excuse me, you are in a country where they don’t study and they get begged to work, studying is not sweet, it’s a means to an end. So please allow us enlighten as many people as possible on the disadvantages of burning millions of naira with no return.

Thank you.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Aphrodite007(f): 12:46am On Feb 25, 2018
EsotericMonk:

I agree with you broh. My journey to the UK as a medical doctor is only as an easy outlet from Nigeria. I surely wouldn't be there more than a year or two cos I only need the work experience there which would give me an edge when I finally port to Canada or NZ.
Latest info : Australia is shutting their doors to Foreign Trained Docs. Guys shouldn't even waste money on that route.

I wish you the best dear. I love NZ so much so I pray you get in, I’m sure you’ll love the place, it’s so beautiful.

Oh and Aphrodite is the “goddess” of love.
Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Aphrodite007(f): 12:48am On Feb 25, 2018
eyinjuege:
What kind of funny write up is this?
I won't join those hailing you for this.
The UK has one of the best educational systems in the world.
You are going to school to acquire knowledge, and nothing else. If your aim is to immigrate under the guise of education, then thats a decision heading for failure.
Other places do need more immigrants like Canada, US. They have enough landmass as it is, and probably need the skills.
Most professional fields in the UK are oversaturated except for the health sector.
You are getting quality for the millions you spend on your education. Their deal with you was to impart knowledge which they have done. Why then do you believe they owe you to make you continue staying back in their country?
If that was you goal, you should have chosen Canada or US

Of course! When you get the knowledge you sit in your house and sip tea! I get you!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Aphrodite007(f): 1:00am On Feb 25, 2018
Pidgin2:

Please name the different Races living in Nigeria because I don't understand again

I actually laughed out loud at this grin can’t wait to hear about the different races in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by ochukoccna: 1:14am On Feb 25, 2018
Shout out to saouri for this illuminating and informative thread
Why some uninformed folks are taking potshots at him/her beat me hollow?
From his/her initial post, he/she makes some very valid claims which can’t be faulted

1) Once you graduate, you are politely but firmly and persistently reminded to leave
2) You pay MORE than EU or UK students
3) You have almost no access to employment save for a few niche occupations despite the official government press releases (unless you want to label unskilled labour such as care home/factory side hustle etc employment)
4) You can get papers by marrying a UK citizen but is it worth it on the long run especially if it is a marriage of convenience?
5) Without papers and befitting employment, would you risk the trauma of been an illegal immigrant?
6) Is it worth it making the UK richer with your money without getting back employment/working papers in return?
7) If education is ONLY what you desire the UK is spot on but if IMMIGRATION is your primary motive, look to ‘friendlier’ nations .

As someone who’s had an opportunity to study in the UK, all the above points are spot on
All saouri’s doing is shattering myths premised on false thought patterns and assumptions while exposing misinformation that are continually peddled in education fairs.
What the fuss is about is what I can’t fathom undecided undecided

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Aphrodite007(f): 1:20am On Feb 25, 2018
Ok I am quite irritated at some comments here. A lot of “educated” people believe that we feel entitled to getting a job in the UK and that we believe that the UK government is meant to give students jobs, etc. There’s even someone that insinuated that the thread is hindering people from going to the Uk after we have gone and enjoyed it.

Smh

Education is meant to give you skills to work! Let me make this clear. So those saying that the UK degree gives knowledge have got it very wrong, I don’t need such expensive knowledge if I’m going to sit at home to count cars. Ok.

The thread is meant to inform people that they wouldn’t work in the UK after their studies. It’s doesn’t say that the UK govt must give us jobs, no, it’s just meant to collate people’s experiences and dissuade others from wasting their money. There are other countries where you’d spend less and get more.

Finally there is something called value. Value is getting a good return for your money. If I spend 8mill on education and I can’t work to get the money back, whether I’m the UK or Nigeria, I didn’t get value for my money. All you people in the UK enjoy value for EVERYTHING but now that we are asking people to demand value for their money by going elsewhere or just staying back in Nigeria, you’re upset? Such Double standards!

Oh and one more thing, yes, if it were Nigeria that was a business hub where immigrants came and stole our jobs, we will be upset. So it’s understandable and quite sweet that the UK wants to protect their citizens- I respect them immensely for that. The UK laws are solely the business of the UK, and they do not need to check with Nigerians to create the laws- this, however, doesn’t stop me from insulting them (like I insult the Useless Nigerian government) when I’m annoyed.

This message is meant to sprinkle clarity on this thread.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Aphrodite007(f): 1:23am On Feb 25, 2018
Olalekank:
shocked

wow wow wow. I just read from beginning to the end. This thread is an eye opener and I thank saouri for opening a thread like this. I was thinking of going to Ireland for MSC initially but now I'm really considering Canada.

No please go to Ireland. You will get two years post study and if your field is STEM, you can get a job hen move to Canada after two years, if you wish. Ireland is opening it borders now Cos it wants to improve its economy like the UK did. So take advantage of it before they shut it down too

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Aphrodite007(f): 1:28am On Feb 25, 2018
ifenes:
Why would a country priorities international students over their citizens, I don’t get the op’s cries. You went there to get a certificate and they did their side of the bargain by helping you have it. Getting a job afterwards I’m sure wasn’t in the contract. If they choose to employ international graduates over theirs,their citizens will at some point turn against them. Africa for Africa, UK for UK

The OPs problem is that he went there, spent a lot of money, studied, couldn’t get a job to get the money back and now wants to tell people that it’s a dead end Cos he knows that 98% Nigerians that plan to study there also intend to work...

So excuse me sir, what is wrong in this?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Aphrodite007(f): 1:32am On Feb 25, 2018
Feraz:
Are you for real bro? Got admission to study for masters in engineering (Glasgow and Strathclyde) but don't think I'm going since I couldn't secure a scholarship.

Why do you regret? Mind sharing?

CC: Aphrodite007, what do you think about the above two schools?

Both are amazing. I would advise Glasgow Cos more Nigerians are there so you won’t feel alone.
Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Aphrodite007(f): 1:40am On Feb 25, 2018
ochukoccna:
From his/her initial post, he/she makes some very valid claims which can’t be faulted

1) Once you graduate, you are politely but firmly and persistently reminded to leave
3) You have almost no access to employment save for a few niche occupations despite the official government press releases (unless you want to label unskilled labour such as care home/factory side hustle etc employment)
4) You can get papers by marrying a UK citizen but is it worth it on the long run especially if it is a marriage of convenience?
5) Without papers and befitting employment, would you risk the trauma of been an illegal immigrant?
6) Is it worth it making the UK richer with your money without getting back employment/working papers in return?
7) If education is ONLY what you desire the UK is spot on but if IMMIGRATION is your primary motive, look to ‘friendlier’ nations .

As someone who’s had an opportunity to study in the UK, all the above points are spot on
All saouri’s doing is shattering myths premised on false thought patterns and assumptions while exposing misinformation that are continually peddled in education fairs.

Baba, me too I can’t phantom the backlash o! In short, two crates of star for you! Worse still, these are people that are in the UK that can’t seem to read and comprehend.

The thread is meant to educate the students that believe they will work, to go elsewhere. They should be applauding the OP for this. I dare the UK Universities to put up a notice/disclaimer on their website that there are no jobs after school. They def wouldn’t do that because they know how much they make from unsuspecting students, that’s why their process is so easy and smooth!

Me sha I’m tired of arguing, anybody that wants to misinterpret the thread should go ahead. I’m already having headache grin

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by bikat: 1:47am On Feb 25, 2018
erico2k2:

what did you study?
Its not about what I study to be honest, it is about what we see around us every day. The UK no be for us.
Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Aphrodite007(f): 1:49am On Feb 25, 2018
lebete3000:

Can you explain the sponsorship aspect in details pls?

If you are not from EU or UK, you must be sponsored by an organisation in the UK when you want to study or work. It’s just like sponsoring your brother to study in the US, you become responsible for him.

To get a sponsorship in the UK, your expertise must be among the shortage list, and your organisation must be willing to pay some dues/taxes on your behalf and must be ready to pay a slated salary to you. Huge companies that can sponsor, have a limited number of slots and would rather not waste it on a graduate when they can bring in one badt Guy that has 10 years work experience. So a lot of companies turn down immigrants, hence the reason for the “no jobs in UK” slogan.

Satisfied?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by bikat: 1:50am On Feb 25, 2018
erico2k2:

The UK has a list bearing skills shortage . If I tell you one thing they are in a Hury to fix as regards shortage you won't believe me.
Doctors
Lawyers
Engineers
Nurses (we r barred Nigerians but if U sturdy here U can go fru )
Builders (brick layers hot cake asap)
Model builders (if U can convert your computer skill and think outta the box?).
Etc

Guy for get what you hear, there are people living the life. If you do medicine and nursing here, you will get a job, other than that forget it.
Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by LaudableXX: 2:01am On Feb 25, 2018
OgbeniSir:
U try my guy! But still, no be begging matter. As a former fellow jand guy I go still fit throw you something.
You are not adding value to the thread, with your snide remarks. In fact, your comments portray you as shallow and petty. The OP has advised those who are not interested, to unfollow the thread. Is that too hard for you to do?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by LaudableXX: 2:06am On Feb 25, 2018
Aphrodite007:
You see what you did here? This is exactly what saouri and I are doing. We are telling prospective students not to bother going to the UK if they intend to work. I don’t think it’s fair for anybody to backlash at us, most especially if they got into the UK before the post study visa was withdrawn or are working in the med field. There is nobody that wants to go to school because it’s sweet, we all do it to land a job. We aren’t being entitled by feeling bad that we couldn’t get to work in the UK, after all, if our country was any better, would we troop into the UK in he first place?

The point is to create awareness (quite frankly I am tired of saying this) about the near-impossibility of getting a job there. Simple. Let people be aware of this then make up their minds on whether it’s worth the investment or not. I getting irritated at the condescending remarks I’m seeing on the thread!

Here...you deserve a chilled glass of Origin! Keep up the good work! wink

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by erico2k2(m): 2:13am On Feb 25, 2018
bikat:

Guy for get what you hear, there are people living the life. If you do medicine and nursing here, you will get a job, other than that forget it.
where are we talking about?
Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by ifenes(m): 2:14am On Feb 25, 2018
Aphrodite007:

The OPs problem is that he went there, spent a lot of money, studied, couldn’t get a job to get the money back and now wants to tell people that it’s a dead end Cos he knows that 98% Nigerians that plan to study there also intend to work...

He chose to spend that amount of money on the degree programs. The UK is not obligated to give him employment as they prefer British jobs for British workers. There is nothing wrong with being an economy migrant, only that you will not be prioritised.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by erico2k2(m): 2:15am On Feb 25, 2018
bikat:

Its not about what I study to be honest, it is about what we see around us every day. The UK no be for us.
Oga its about what you study if not whats the difference btw me and the OP?, if you nor get any qualification no JOB simple nor B 9ja, and that goes for the british born people too, no skills no qualification no good JOB.so waht r U saying?
Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by erico2k2(m): 2:27am On Feb 25, 2018
Aphrodite007:
Ok I am quite irritated at some comments here. A lot of “educated” people believe that we feel entitled to getting a job in the UK and that we believe that the UK government is meant to give students jobs, etc. There’s even someone that insinuated that the thread is hindering people from going to the Uk after we have gone and enjoyed it.

Smh

Education is meant to give you skills to work! Let me make this clear. So those saying that the UK degree gives knowledge have got it very wrong, I don’t need such expensive knowledge if I’m going to sit at home to count cars. Ok.

The thread is meant to inform people that they wouldn’t work in the UK after their studies. It’s doesn’t say that the UK govt must give us jobs, no, it’s just meant to collate people’s experiences and dissuade others from wasting their money. There are other countries where you’d spend less and get more.

Finally there is something called value. Value is getting a good return for your money. If I spend 8mill on education and I can’t work to get the money back, whether I’m the UK or Nigeria, I didn’t get value for my money. All you people in the UK enjoy value for EVERYTHING but now that we are asking people to demand value for their money by going elsewhere or just staying back in Nigeria, you’re upset? Such Double standards!

Oh and one more thing, yes, if it were Nigeria that was a business hub where immigrants came and stole our jobs, we will be upset. So it’s understandable and quite sweet that the UK wants to protect their citizens- I respect them immensely for that. The UK laws are solely the business of the UK, and they do not need to check with Nigerians to create the laws- this, however, doesn’t stop me from insulting them (like I insult the Useless Nigerian government) when I’m annoyed.

This message to to sprinkle clarity on this thread.
I disagree on the value for money point
Value for money is getting an internationaly accepted certificate, One accepted worldwide.Plus when you school here, its not just about the papers.U know what you learn.But I also think Op's heading is misleading.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by salford1: 2:41am On Feb 25, 2018
Aphrodite007:

No please go to Ireland. You will get two years post study and if your field is STEM, you can get a job hen move to Canada after two years, if you wish. Ireland is opening it borders now Cos it wants to improve its economy like the UK did. So take advantage of it before the shut it down too
In addition to the above. All countries eventually make it more difficult based on the political party in power or immigration level targets. Their infrastructure and social services would eventually become stressed and decay at a fast pace due to overpopulation. I know Canada for example has target immigration level by 2020 i.e 2018 to 2020. Who knows what would happen after the levels have been reached.
UK used to be very immigrant friendly till the Eastern Europeans flooded the country for better opportunities.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by bikat: 5:00am On Feb 25, 2018
erico2k2:

where are we talking about?
UK, those in medical line have opportunities. If you study anything related to medicine u have a chance but any other course na waste of time. I de UK and I no wetting I de talk about. Don't judge by the 1/2 people that got job in other fields.
Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Nobody: 6:10am On Feb 25, 2018
erico2k2:

I hate when people assume . B4 making such statements plz read up laws governing child benefit and how much and how many kids U can claim for.
sweetheart this child benefits of a things before was if you have 3,4, children..
You'll receive child benefits on all of them,but now its down to two and get your fact right before you challenge..
Anyways we're not getting paid for arguing
Just saying.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Nobody: 6:18am On Feb 25, 2018
erico2k2:

Nah U make Am be like crime, for me I see the Uk as work Nigeria as Home.and also let me ask you why you dey shame to tell us wetin you read for your UK so we fit justify this trash!
if you study a course that landed you a job in U.K. doesn't mean it works for them
it's 1 out of 200..
I knew a guy that studied in U.K. but he couldn't land a good job and decided to come to Nigeria.
He's now in chevron

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Nobody: 6:49am On Feb 25, 2018
Guy man,
I understand and appreciate...

But you see this post so, even home office and brit council dey look am. You need to see the number of people trying to contact me personally.

I no want pity. Make nobody feel sorry for me.
The koko be say make our own after us no do the same mistake again. Shey oye yin?

Happy Sunday ☺
#BlessUp #Peace

OgbeniSir:
U try my guy! But still, no be begging matter. As a former fellow jand guy I go still fit throw you something.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Temitope2302(m): 7:07am On Feb 25, 2018
isaacosas01:

Some of the courses are taught in English sir
the english taught courses are rare for undergraduates. They are mainly available for masters and doctorate degrees.
Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Nobody: 7:10am On Feb 25, 2018
Dead end is the word...

Aphrodite007:

1 Like

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Nobody: 7:18am On Feb 25, 2018
Aphrodite007:

I wish you the best dear. I love NZ so much so I pray you get in, I’m sure you’ll love the place, it’s so beautiful.

Oh and Aphrodite is the “goddess” of love.
Oh, my bad grin. Thanks i appreciate , Mademoiselle.
Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Nobody: 7:18am On Feb 25, 2018
#BlessUp #HappySunday

ochukoccna:

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Barezzi(m): 8:03am On Feb 25, 2018
Very enlightening post. Thanks OP!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by Berliner1: 8:06am On Feb 25, 2018
Temitope2302:

ok,thanks. but, what if i decide to learn german, can i reach fluency enough to study there within 1 year.

Yes you can.

A1 to B2 is highly possible within a year.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by justwise(m): 8:28am On Feb 25, 2018
Aphrodite007:

You see what you did here? This is exactly what saouri and I are doing. We are telling prospective students not to bother going to the UK if they intend to work. I don’t think it’s fair for anybody to backlash at us, most especially if they got into the UK before the post study visa was withdrawn or are working in the med field. There is nobody that wants to go to school because it’s sweet, we all do it to land a job. We aren’t being entitled by feeling bad that we couldn’t get to work in the UK, after all, if our country was any better, would we troop into the UK in he first place?

The point is to create awareness (quite frankly I am tired of saying this) about the near-impossibility of getting a job there. Simple. Let people be aware of this then make up their minds on whether it’s worth the investment or not. I getting irritated at the condescending remarks I’m seeing on the thread!

Yes people need to be enlightened but do it without misinforming them.

You and saouri are being disingenuous just because it did not workout for you.

1. You can still work in the UK after graduation through Tier 2 work program IF you have what it takes, nobody gives you a job just because you have shinning pieces of certificate, even in Nigeria getting a job is hard after graduation.

2. This is the bit that got me nut..before you apply to study in the UK you knew that getting a job is hard, you knew that the fees are high, you knew that you have 4months to stay after graduation BUT STILL you went ahead to invest your millions of naira expecting miracle.

The UK govt never promised you automatic job position after graduation so why are you here moaning about injustice done to you?

This is the case of mental laziness and this attitude of entitlement, if you have done your homework before applying to study in the UK you would have known that..

1. Getting a job in the UK after graduation as a foreign student is hard and competitive because British and EU graduate will be priorities first.

2. You need to study a course that is in demand and listed in occupational shortlist https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-k-shortage-occupation-list, that increases your chances of getting a job.

3. If you graduated from low ranked university your chances of getting a job with that qualification is slimmer, this is the problem with many foreign students because low ranked universities are cheaper and easier to get admission into.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! by justwise(m): 8:37am On Feb 25, 2018
Aphrodite007:

Smh

This message to to sprinkle clarity on this thread.

Yes that is why you should read read and read then PLAN!!! before you invest your money either in education or business.

Did you do your research before coming to the UK?

You have no right to insult the British govt because they are not under any obligation to provide job for you.

You pay the school fees and you get the qualification..end of the deal, whatever comes after that is just act of generosity.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (29) (Reply)

How Petrol Tankers Move In Canada And Abidjan / Photos Of The 52 Cows Killed By Train In Kaduna / Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.