Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

"Molue": Will You Miss It? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / "Molue": Will You Miss It? (20802 Views)

These Pictures Will Make You Miss Owerri / 3 Men Spotted Pushing Lagos Blue Light Train In Marina Like Molue - Photos / Lagos State Government Shares Throwback On Molue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by fpeter(f): 4:45pm On Feb 22, 2018
Odingo1:

hmm

Na true nah, if you are new in Lagos, your first few words of the Yoruba language would actually come from Bus and Molue conductors.
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Mariangeles(f): 4:53pm On Feb 22, 2018
49 sitting, 99 standing...

1 Like

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by MAJORBANKZ(m): 4:58pm On Feb 22, 2018
Papiikush:
I have never entered molue in my life... We were taught to always take taxi and when I grew up, I got used to it...Now adays we do Uber whenever we don't wanna drive.

I ain't got no time to be sitting in a bus with smelly people with no AC Mehn. Like how do you all deal with the polluted air and fumes everywhere in the bus?

#LifeOfALagosBigBoy
clap for yourself.
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by saltoftheearth: 5:30pm On Feb 22, 2018
Reminds me of Gbenga Adeboye's comedy skit, woli oniko(coughing prophet) where he was drugs salesman laying claim to the abilities of his drugs to stop cough in its track, meanwhile he coughed through out his presentation in the bus. Last last, he cursed the passengers and alight from the bus angrily.

2 Likes

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by gift01: 5:37pm On Feb 22, 2018
Whenever am moving from Iyana Ipaja to Ikeja along or Oshodi I just love the molue. Remembered when Oshodi to Obalende was #50 naira. Molue is another world on its own. I just so love it.

Mind you, the safest way to move around with large chunk of cash in Lagos is via the molue cos nobody will suspect you. We only have petty thieves who can't wield a gun or drag your bag from you in a molue. Its a strategy most people who move around huge cash follow

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by EMIOMOADEOYE: 5:39pm On Feb 22, 2018
Molue!

I entered one of those things a few years back just for the nostalgic fun of it. From Oshodi to Abule Egba. You know I was on the BRT line and I saw them from a mile away at Bolade side. And the thought occurred to me to enter one and relive the days gone by. And I did

It wasn't fun. It was just as terrible as it was back then. The smell....the weird looking people....the gruff looking conductor....

The only thing missing was the frenzied rush to enter them. Not surprising since there are very few of them left on the road. Most would rather jump in the BRTs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by kadree(m): 6:14pm On Feb 22, 2018
And once the conductor shout "owo da" like 2-3 times and you no give am joy, d next tin na to drag shoe comot from ur leg not minding how e has bathed you with his days old saliva. Lolz

1 Like

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by dirtyhokage(m): 6:37pm On Feb 22, 2018
I soo hate lag ehn
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by DSDLIVEREPORT: 8:41pm On Feb 22, 2018
Molue - Two things I will remember you for :

That I was fell off you once while trying to come of you on motion as you refused to stop at my bus stop.

That several of your conductors went off with my change at different times.

You may be guilty.
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by SpikenardSlim(m): 9:11pm On Feb 22, 2018
The hustle continues whether molue dey or e no dey 9ja ppl still go scramble x hustle always
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by highbee02: 9:14pm On Feb 22, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
“Molues” were the kings of Lagos roads.

These typically rickety motorized contraptions are built from a Mercedes or Bedford lorry-head.

When in motion –they sometimes give an impression that their tyres and the steering wheel are not in unity.

Sometimes, patronizing Molues is a necessary inconvenience.

The only edge these uniquely designed mammy-wagons commanded over other modes of transportation was its affordability. For a pittance, a passenger could be transported to a distant location within Lagos.

Riding in Molues is always an adventure. As soon as one is inside, drama is never in short supply.

The ability to embark and to disembark from a Molue is a special art form. The doors are not necessarily the only point of entrance. The windows come in handy too.

A ride in a Molue offers not a few side attractions. For instance, it offers a substantial dose of aggravations, entertainment, commercial activities; pocket-picking opportunities, sexual harassments, etc.

The passengers in a Molue is often an odd mismatched assortment of people. The typical ratio is “49 seating and 99 standing”. Some of the passengers can easily pass for escapees from a prison or a psychiatric hospital.

Then there is the combative driver and his conductors. They are the kings here. The Molue is their kingdom. Common courtesy, respect for others and decorum is totally alien to them.

Moreover, to be a Molue driver or conductors, besides driving skills, other credentials required include a husky voice and body odour.

The conductors also enjoy rubbing their sweaty bodies against the bodies of the multitude of standing passengers whenever they wriggle around to collect the fares.

In Molues, it is almost customary for a journey to begin with a prayer or religious session. One of the passengers usually conducts this. When done, the same passenger, or another, would later proceed to advertise some pharmaceutical or herbal concoction.
These products are typically sold with a claim to potency for all manner of sicknesses and diseases - from the common cold to Cancer and HIV! Bizarrely, too, some of the products boast of a NAFDAC endorsement.

Indeed, there is never a dull moment in this theatre of the absurd.

Today, this legend of the Lagos roads gradually fades into extinction.

However, we cannot help but admit the entertainment riding in Molues brought to the lives of commuters in Lagos.

Nevertheless, the iconic Molue is one experience that we will all love to miss.

Or will you miss the legendary Lagos Molues?

https://autojosh.com/dear-molues-will-happy-miss/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by osuagwumike(m): 9:21pm On Feb 22, 2018
Papiikush:
I have never entered molue in my life... We were taught to always take taxi and when I grew up, I got used to it...Now adays we do Uber whenever we don't wanna drive.

I ain't got no time to be sitting in a bus with smelly people with no AC Mehn. Like how do you all deal with the polluted air and fumes everywhere in the bus?

#LifeOfALagosBigBoy
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by sirgalahad26(m): 10:13pm On Feb 22, 2018
Papiikush:

#LifeOfALagosBigBoy
Bro, u need to go on a trip in a molue! prolly iyana-ipaja to oshodi gringringrin

meanwhile, a mail's waiting for ya!
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by haryomikun(m): 10:17pm On Feb 22, 2018
naptu2:
Too Low For Zero - Molue (Lagos City transport) (1986).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNb8qQAsddw

Naptu don come again o cheesy

Why you no be old school DJ sef
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by dynamic1: 6:18am On Feb 23, 2018
LEOVOLUTION:
I would, really i would.
Hey mate, Buzz me. Lost your digits.
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by 9jaRonin(m): 8:50am On Feb 25, 2018
naptu2:
Too Low For Zero - Molue (Lagos City transport) (1986).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNb8qQAsddw

Thanks for sharing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Four Die In Motor Accident Along Kaduna-Abuja Road / 3 Nigerian Pilgrims Die In Saudi Arabia / Aero Slashes Fares To N13,000 Starting 1st August

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.