Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,159 members, 7,838,962 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops (20919 Views)

Catholic Bishops Reject Father Mbaka’s Apology To Peter Obi / Peter Obi: Video Of Catholic Bishops Condemning Father Mbaka Emerges (WATCH) / Nigerian Catholic Bishops Meet With Pope Francis At The Vatican. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by saintmark88(m): 7:44pm On Feb 23, 2018
Pataricatering:
These idiots have come again with their unrealistic views on how people should live ! Whether you quote bible from now till next year people will still have sex so why not be safe ! I don’t blame them - it’s their bread and butter - it’s the people that take them seriously I blame ! Better for your kid to practice safe sex and not go and catch one disease in their youth that they will battle their whole life Because you decided to be dogmatic !

This is not a matter a dogma, if u reason well, the church can never encourage formication because she knows pple will do it. The church is pro life, so if u wanna engage in sex then, get ready and be ready for the after effect which is pregnancy.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by ObservantFellow: 7:51pm On Feb 23, 2018
The path where using contraceptives was equated with terminating human life is where they got it wrong.
How can any sensible person not be in support of birth control in this time of population explosion.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Oselu28(f): 7:58pm On Feb 23, 2018
it is easy to distribute condoms in schools or even sell for as low as N100 mean while it is difficult to distribute sanitary pads....the cheapest pad is N350, I wonder if we consider young girls in what we do,I wonder what the feminist are doing about it
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Oselu28(f): 8:00pm On Feb 23, 2018
ObservantFellow:
The path where using contraceptives was equated with terminating human life is where they got it wrong.
How can any sensible person not be in support of birth control in this time of population explosion.

the Catholic church supports birth control and that is withdrawal method and calculating of safe period.....the church expects u to have sex for the sake of procreation
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 23, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
It's a free world and not everyone can believe what you believe that is why we have secular laws to accommodate the views of others so live with it.

be unto you
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Emmizzy: 8:34pm On Feb 23, 2018
Look, you guys, the truth is that teenagers nowadays are having sex. Denying that is just straight up lying to yourself. So no amount of "don't give them condom, it will encourage bad thing" will stop young people from doing the thing.
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 8:49pm On Feb 23, 2018
emmykingsok:

this is not a religious issue, it's a moral issue and as such the church is greatly concerned about it, every right thinking person should be concerned about the moral implications.
your progressive view shouldn't threaten the existence of other person just because he or she is helpless, let it get into your skull
To each his own everybody to their kettle it's a free world and morality is subjective the church should mind it's business and in a free world they are free to air their views.
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Kaycee9242(m): 8:57pm On Feb 23, 2018
D bishops are right, do ppl think dt its dt easy for secondary school student to walk into a pharmacy to buy a condom? Most of dem are shy of doing dt and thereby helping dem to abstain from sex due to fear of HIV ND pregnancy. Sharing d condom to dem will be like license pls, let dem go and buy it themselves
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by ObservantFellow: 9:30pm On Feb 23, 2018
Oselu28:

the Catholic church supports birth control and that is withdrawal method and calculating of safe period.....the church expects u to have sex for the sake of procreation

That's why people find it hard to connect with Christianity these days. The religion refuses to get real. Looking at 2018 through 0000A.D lenses.

2 Likes

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Emilokoiyawon: 10:24pm On Feb 23, 2018
saintmark88:

This is not a matter a dogma, if u reason well, the church can never encourage formication because she knows pple will do it. The church is pro life, so if u wanna engage in sex then, get ready and be ready for the after effect which is pregnancy.

As long as the catholic church does NOT interfere with PUBLIC and PRIVATE schools. They can impose such ridiculousness ONLY in CATHOLIC schools.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by okwusdidi: 12:38am On Feb 24, 2018
This wisdom in the Catholic Church can only be from God who created us .

The truth of the matter is that you do not say that because our children cheat in exams we have to help them.May God have mercy on us.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Octaves(m): 12:57am On Feb 24, 2018
who wants to bet that this so called “Gender and Equal Opportunities Bill" is being indirectly sponsored by a foreign government.
that is what Nigerians should be mad at. foreign governments meddling in our affairs and trying to legalize same sex marriage and abortion.
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Octaves(m): 1:02am On Feb 24, 2018
ObservantFellow:

That's why people find it hard to connect with Christianity these days. The religion refuses to get real. Looking at 2018 through 0000A.D lenses.
Christianity doesn't keep up with pop culture. it sticks to the eternal truths established by Christ which guides us to everlasting life. if you want to 'get real', there is a wide road on which you can do that. and I guess you know where it leads.
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by liberalchick(f): 7:46am On Feb 24, 2018
kevoh:

They don't share condoms in churches, yet fornication is the order of the day. From choir master shagging choristers to Pastors sleeping with the young girls in the church. Some are even bold enough to do it in hidden corners in the church.

Back to the topic,

I always knew the Catholic Church to be pro-life and strongly against most forms of artificial contraceptives with condom being the most practical and effective of them all. The downside to this is they are not considering the risk of giving birth to unwanted children and overpopulation issues, as they refuse to deliberate owing to religious practice.

The proposed natural contraceptive method while it's effective on paper, is actually quite rigid and mechanical and leads to unwanted pregnancy most of the time if not well practiced.

This is a very delicate topic.

NB: My opinion is purely targeted at married couples and not singles.

My teacher at my pre-marital class in my Catholic Church also warned us not to use contraceptive pills/Condoms for ‘family planning’ as it’s unnatural. He touted the Billings method as the natural and effective method. My teacher had Nine Children.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by liberalchick(f): 7:50am On Feb 24, 2018
Gangster1ms:
Rubbish.. too much holy holy is why this country is underdeveloped.. what's wrong if we start teaching them safe sex at an early age.. most of them already practice sex secretly.. i myself started fvcking at the age of 4.. that time no condom.. now imagine this period that condom should be necessity.
And even if they know about condoms already they won't have the mind to visit the pharmacy plus money no even dey to buy cos they will prefer to buy puff puff and sweets.. hence unsafe sex occurs and possible std.

You did not start fvcking at the age of 4, you were raped at the age of 4.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by kevoh(m): 7:51am On Feb 24, 2018
liberalchick:

My teacher at my pre-marital class in my Catholic Church also warned us not to use contraceptive pills/Condoms for ‘family planning’ as it’s unnatural. He touted the Billings method as the natural and effective method. My teacher had Nine Children.
grin grin Exactly my point! Billings method looks effective on paper but when practical set in, the story changes. 9 kids! That's a lot.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by liberalchick(f): 7:52am On Feb 24, 2018
FakoMaybach1:
Kudos to the catholic clerics jare....To those of you saying rubbish about religion one of the reasons Hilary clinton did not win was because she was going to legalize abortion

The catholic church detests any anti life material being contraceptives, abortion or condoms....so they will surely fight it.

Glory to Jesus, Honor to Mary

Abortion has been legal in the US since 1973!!!

2 Likes

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by ObservantFellow: 8:54pm On Feb 24, 2018
Octaves:
Christianity doesn't keep up with pop culture. it sticks to the eternal truths established by Christ which guides us to everlasting life. if you want to 'get real', there is a wide road on which you can do that. and I guess you know where it leads.

Yeah. Call it Pop Culture if you will. One day, you'll get married and I'll see how you feel towards contraceptives. Keep me posted.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 25, 2018
nonut:
Religion keeps dragging us back.
If you don't share condoms in school, where is the best place to do it?
Tertiary institutions are the places with high level of kpanshing.
Abstinence is the best option. Sharing of condoms will gravitate the issue at hand
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Ubenedictus(m): 9:19pm On Feb 25, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
To each his own everybody to their kettle it's a free world and morality is subjective the church should mind it's business and in a free world they are free to air their views.
the church is minding her business, morality is the Church's business
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Ubenedictus(m): 9:21pm On Feb 25, 2018
ObservantFellow:
the pill can abort a foetus in the first few days. that is the termination of human life
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 7:21am On Feb 26, 2018
Ubenedictus:
the church is minding her business, morality is the Church's business
Tell me something morality they say is subjective and does not in totality concern religion.Like the other poster said such laws should be applied to their own schools .
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Nobody: 12:11pm On Feb 26, 2018
DrMaximay:
we deliver nationwide but ur car elect cn install

How much is it?
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Ubenedictus(m): 10:30pm On Feb 26, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Tell me something morality they say is subjective and does not in totality concern religion.Like the other poster said such laws should be applied to their own schools .
morality is actually objective, that is called natural law, stealing, murder, adultery will always be wrong, these are objective truths whether we agree or not morality isn't subjective.

and it does concern religion as any philosopher will tell you, it has always been the business of religion to propose ethics and morals.

did they force anyone to do anything, they simply states that an action is morally unacceptable.
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 7:34am On Feb 27, 2018
Ubenedictus:
morality is actually objective, that is called natural law, stealing, murder, adultery will always be wrong, these are objective truths whether we agree or not morality isn't subjective.

and it does concern religion as any philosopher will tell you, it has always been the business of religion to propose ethics and morals.

did they force anyone to do anything, they simply states that an action is morally unacceptable.
Read about the age of enlightenment and how it was morally right to own a slave have you read about the gladiators and the things that were considered morally right you don't have to be religious to know what morality is because atheistic countries are more peaceful thanks others.I am no atheist but martinez19 can explain better morality is subjective.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Shugavee(f): 7:49am On Feb 27, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Read about the age of enlightenment and how it was morally right to own a slave have you read about the gladiators and the things that were considered morally right you don't have to be religious to know what morality is because atheistic countries are more peaceful thanks others.I am no atheist but martinez19 can explain better morality is subjective.
please no offense but what's going on here?? subjective objective?? Confused
Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Ubenedictus(m): 8:18am On Feb 27, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
I am well aware of the age of enlightenment and the humanists of that period... I am also well aware that certain moral questions were not totally resolved until later...though the Catholic Church had taught the immorality of chattel slavery long before the enlightenment began and also taught that gladiator contest was a immoral sport long before the enlightenment.

again these are objective moral truths... that people came to recognise them only later doesn't affect their truth.

since you believe morality is subjective, do you consider murder to be OK? and everybody should be allowed to decide since it is subjective? if you don't think everyone should be allowed to decide on whether to murder others or not that means you agree that morality is objective.

even atheistic morality is by and large objective, it is based on something called natural law and balanced upon utilitarian principles so even in atheistic societies murder is still and objective moral evil to be avoided or punished.

I don't know Martinez well, but I can assure you there isn't a single atheistic society where everyone is allowed to make up for himself what he considers moral against the principle of common good....you won't find a society where everyone is allowed to make up his mind on whether or not murder is OK.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by MrMystrO(m): 9:02am On Feb 27, 2018
Ubenedictus:

My Good friend, Morality has no place in the Natural law, So it is very much subjective because it is a human creation. When a Lion kills all the baby lions in a pride so the females can mate with him again, i ask you is it a Bad thing? Of course when you look at it from the Human perspective it is Bad but then who are you to judge the lions? judging the lion means questioning Nature because Nature has made it that way. This is just one example out of a million more. So at the end of the Day, The Deeply enlightened and philosophical minds know that Good and Bad, the basis of the human morality is exclusively a human construct and does not have any place in the Natural World whatsoever. We make up Laws that are "Moral" to us because we have to create a society where people can Live together and people cannot live together without Giving up their Subjective perceptions in Favor of Objective ones that suits everyone. Society bound by Law is in a very "deep" sense, Slavery, But a very useful one at that. I hope i was able to pass this across well enough. Peace.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Distribute Condoms In School – Catholic Bishops by Martinez19(m): 9:06am On Feb 27, 2018
Ubenedictus:
I am well aware of the age of enlightenment and the humanists of that period... I am also well aware that certain moral questions were not totally resolved until later...though the Catholic Church had taught the immorality of chattel slavery long before the enlightenment began and also taught that gladiator contest was a immoral sport long before the enlightenment.

again these are objective moral truths... that people came to recognise them only later doesn't affect their truth.

since you believe morality is subjective, do you consider murder to be OK? and everybody should be allowed to decide since it is subjective? if you don't think everyone should be allowed to decide on whether to murder others or not that means you agree that morality is objective.

even atheistic morality is by and large objective, it is based on something called natural law and balanced upon utilitarian principles so even in atheistic societies murder is still and objective moral evil to be avoided or punished.

I don't know Martinez well, but I can assure you there isn't a single atheistic society where everyone is allowed to make up for himself what he considers moral against the principle of common good....you won't find a society where everyone is allowed to make up his mind on whether or not murder is OK.
@Ladyhippolyta88 and Ubenedictus

Morality is biologically ingrained in mankind. Some atheists think that morality is subjective (cosmic sceptic and HardMirror) while some think that it is objective ( Sam Harris and myself). I think it's objective because :
1) there are a lot of acts that no matter how you try to argue for them, they will always be frown upon.
2) the fact that morality is biologically ingrained in us shows that nature has given us moral codes before hand. These moral codes are the same for all humans and are not discussed rather we just know them hence their objectivity. These moral codes play a role in our survival amongst ourselves.
3) cultural beliefs and religion are not source of morality instead they influence morality.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Signs You Love Money Too Much / Don Moen: Enugu Is Nice, Calm And Peaceful / Re:The Only Saviour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.