Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,442 members, 7,812,324 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:38 AM

What Are The STAGES Of Marital Procedure In Igbo Land? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The STAGES Of Marital Procedure In Igbo Land? (834 Views)

My Senior Colleague And His Wife's Messy Marital Life. Things Are Happening / How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe / Nwanyi Ocha, Swiss Blogger Celebrates Her Nigerian Husband's Birthday In Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The STAGES Of Marital Procedure In Igbo Land? by todugo(m): 4:12pm On Feb 24, 2018
Stages of marital procedures of the Igbo people
Re: What Are The STAGES Of Marital Procedure In Igbo Land? by nkwuocha: 9:33am On Feb 25, 2018
First of all, introduction.
You come alone or or with a friend or brother. You can come along with drink. This other part where you get familiarize your would be in law. Exchange of phone numbers is allowed at this time. The father of the girl after you leave we ask her if she intends to marry you.

Second stage is when you bring in your family. They come to officially make your intentions known to the parents of the girl. The lady is asked again in the presence of all if she is willing to marry you. Her response leads to the next stage.

Third :preparing of list of items.
List of items will be typed and sent to you.

Note:please try and negotiate it as soon as possible. It's not mandatory you must buy all that is there.
Again, wise people will choose to monetize it. One good thing about monetize is that they get to buy exactly what they want in the list by themselves. There are times when they reject certain things that doesn't meet up to their standards.

Monetize means asking what everything ON THE LIST ALONE including the bride price will cost in monetary value. Negotiate it, then pay. No stress for you and your family.

Fourth stage:If you didn't pay the bride price on the earlier stage you can wait till the marriage day proper. It's usually cheap in some parts of igbo land. My hometown cost 10k to15k.

Final traditional day. Tips for you.

Consult with the mother of the girl for listening of items for cooking. This should create a personal relationship with her. If you are buying a meat, Do it yourself!All you need is to book a cheap hotel for a week prior to that day and make certain arrangements with a brother or friend.

Buy bottle drinks more. Do not buy expensive beer in high quantity like Heineken. Again, can drinks is a no no in igbo land. Igbos drink alot.Buy more of Hero, 33,Goldberg.Can drinks is easy to steal in quantities.

You can order a cooling van.
Buy bags of satchet water, and few of bottled water. Guests can be wasteful.

Your woman can handle decoration ET Al.

The father of the girl can arrange canopies. Be care full at this point. If it costs 20k,you can give him say 23k.Dont be stingy grin.Na where small change fit enter him hand.

Again, please keep small money down for guys o.If umu ogbe, village boys ear say you no be igbo and want to marry igbo girl them go block road o. For my side even if you're igbo from another town them go block road. You go settle this with small change to buy cigar.They usually do this as you're about to leave with your bride. No fear! Na cigar money them dey find. Sometimes it's funny. Last time my sister husband paid them off, they warned her never to come back to her father's house! Else they will chase her back. cheesy

That's pretty much.

1 Like

Re: What Are The STAGES Of Marital Procedure In Igbo Land? by nkwuocha: 9:33am On Feb 25, 2018
todugo:
Stages of marital procedures of the Igbo people

Where are you from? I can help you with major tips.
Re: What Are The STAGES Of Marital Procedure In Igbo Land? by Nobody: 11:03am On Feb 25, 2018
I'd rather marry oyinbo. Who get time and strength for all this stress?
Re: What Are The STAGES Of Marital Procedure In Igbo Land? by nkwuocha: 11:47am On Feb 25, 2018
sammydirectly:

Every marriage has got it's own limitations. No be human being oyibo be?
Re: What Are The STAGES Of Marital Procedure In Igbo Land? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Feb 25, 2018
nkwuocha:

Every marriage has got it's own limitations. No be human being oyibo be?

Human beings with brains and reduced stress.

This life is so stressful, why add more stress and be celebrating rubbish?

Oyinbo people are daily removing stress from their culture, but my ebony brothers are elaborating theirs. Nonsense
Re: What Are The STAGES Of Marital Procedure In Igbo Land? by mypains: 12:40pm On Feb 25, 2018
sammydirectly:
shebi Na Oyibo deal with that former arsenal star? U never see anything

(1) (Reply)

Then And Now Pictures Of And My Brothers / Gambling Addiction Recovery Update / Birth Certificate From National Population Commission (npc)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.