Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,216 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

What's The Easiest Way To Learn Yoruba? Please! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's The Easiest Way To Learn Yoruba? Please! (2100 Views)

Yoruba Please What Is The Meaning Of “oduduwa” In Your Language?? / What Is The Easiest Way To Learn Yoruba Or Igbo / Russian Girls Learn Yoruba And Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Easiest Way To Learn Yoruba? Please! by Godzlove8(m): 9:54am On Feb 27, 2018
Hello, please i really want to learn how to speak and understand yoruba. This very thing has been disturbing me alot after i went on a visit to kwara state and i was dumbfounded when i realised i couldn't relate or understand the people there cos all of them were speaking in either yoruba or hausa. I wanna know, is there any online website that renders tutorial on this?
or what's the best way to learn.. I'm currently in uyo now and i got no yoruba friend here.

1 Like

Re: What's The Easiest Way To Learn Yoruba? Please! by 9jakool: 8:38am On Feb 28, 2018
Godzlove8:
Hello, please i really want to learn how to speak and understand yoruba. This very thing has been disturbing me alot after i went on a visit to kwara state and i was dumbfounded when i realised i couldn't relate or understand the people there cos all of them were speaking in either yoruba or hausa. I wanna know, is there any online website that renders tutorial on this?
or what's the best way to learn.. I'm currently in uyo now and i got no yoruba friend here.
Hausa, really? There are no Hausa indigenes in Kwara. You were probably mistaking Hausa for Nupe, the second most spoken language in Kwara after Yoruba. Anyways to answer your question, I'll say listening is the most important aspect of learning Yoruba. I currently don't know any good online source, but watching Yoruba movies in subtitles (movies with quality subtitles) may help, at least for a start.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Easiest Way To Learn Yoruba? Please! by Godzlove8(m): 9:03am On Feb 28, 2018
9jakool:

Hausa, really? There are no Hausa indigenes in Kwara. You were probably mistaking Hausa for Nupe, the second most spoken language in Kwara after Yoruba. Anyways to answer your question, I'll say listening is the most important aspect of learning Yoruba. I currently don't know any good online source, but watching Yoruba movies in subtitles (movies with quality subtitles) may help, at least for a start.
thanks bro.. will try
Re: What's The Easiest Way To Learn Yoruba? Please! by Olu317(m): 6:29pm On Mar 02, 2018
grin
Godzlove8:

Learning Yoruba is not difficult if your interest is geared toward it. I will advice you get acquainted through this following method; listen-write-speak-listen. I mean, find a Yoruba video link which can help you understand the necessary accent of Yoruba alphabets and its comparison with English's . Thereafter, formation of two letter words and its English meaning etc. However, if you intend to Skip the learning process, you might only be obliged to knowing salutation/greetings. Better still, find a Yoruba friend who appreciate your desire in learning his or her language. Naturally, learning will jell more with a female Yoruba person because of opposite sex chemistry. I hope you don't wanna learn Yoruba because of a Yoruba girl.

Cheers cool grin
Godzlove8:

Learning Yoruba is not difficult if your interest is geared toward it. I will advice you get acquainted through this following method; listen-write-speak-listen. I mean, find a Yoruba video link which can help you understand the necessary accent of Yoruba alphabets and its comparison with English's . Thereafter, formation of two letter words and its English meaning etc. However, if you intend to Skip the learning process, you might only be obliged to knowing salutation/greetings. Better still, find a Yoruba friend who appreciate your desire in learning his or her language. Naturally, learning will jell more with a female Yoruba person because of opposite sex chemistry. I hope you don't wanna learn Yoruba because of a Yoruba girl.

Cheers
Re: What's The Easiest Way To Learn Yoruba? Please! by Nobody: 10:38am On Mar 05, 2018
Godzlove8:

I see Yoruba folks quickly offering suggestions. Our natural inclination to offer kindness first without suspicion is usually our undoing.

Make una see the OP post on Feb 19, 8 daysbefore this thread, which he dubbed:

‘My Regretful Journey To Illorin (kwara)’

Which can be found here: https://www.nairaland.com/4356641/regretful-journey-illorin-kwara

Godzlove8:
i won't emphasize on the issue much.. but i just gotta say i wasted my time and money to visit a place like illorin.

i was so happy to finally think that I'm gonna step my feet in one of the most popular city in Nigeria. from what I've been seeing in pictures and reading what people write about the city of illorin.. in my mind i thought i was gonna have a happy stay there.

So i left my beautiful paradise Uyo, Akwa ibom (Just came to know that uyo is a paradise after i visited illorin) cheesy

I left itam park in uyo to illorin around 8:30am . arrived at ile ife.. from there the driver stopped us at osogbo.. then i took another bus there to illorin.

to be truthful with you guys.. i just came to realise that no state or city in Nigeria can match the beauty in uyo.

asin, i passed few cities on my way to illorin and i shook my head in disappointment.

it looked to me like i was in another country entirely..

from aba to onitsha to owerri to sapele to asaba to benin to ondo to illorin. . swear non of this cities pleased my eyes.

especially in onitsha.. i mean, how do people survive there?

just when i thought I've seen it all.. i now arrived at illorin.. chai

immediately i came down from the bus, i swear to God i vomitted.. people were just looking at me.. and in illorin, you can easily differentiate between a visitor and the occupants there.. because those from illorin look unkept and poor..

ma no lie.. illorin is a village.. and a very nice village sha with dust everywhere

before i forget.. they are so used to their language that most of them don't understand english again

i had to call an interpreter severally when i want to make a request or ask questions.

their food? hmm

throughout my 1 day stay.. i didnt have any appetite to eat.. went to a hotel and bought a plate of rice.. then slept off..

but what i ate this morning .. only God knows what i passed through to swallow that sh*t they call eba..

i forced myself to take 2 balls then stood up.

about the girls? hmm.. the ones i saw looked stressed out

no beautiful girl sha.. they are just there..

and you guys shouldn't think i stayed at a particular place in illorin.. cos i actually went round illorin

city is messed up

i wanted to stay for a week.. but right now, I'm on my way to uyo..

can't wait to visit my paradise

it is now that I've come to appreciate and love my city

i once thought that uyo wasn't that beautiful as people claim it is.. but what i saw in other states I've made me realise that uyo is a paradise..

ok bye!

to those that stays at illorin.. abeg make una enjoy una state.. una no go everly see me again

lagos is next grin

My response to you, it will do you well to get out of Yoruba land, including Ilorin & return to your paradisiacal Uyo where you can speak your language that burns the ears like corns popping in a popcorn machine.

My Yoruba folks, 9jakool & Olu317 abeg, e ma je ka se mistake ti awon ara waju wa se by handing out Yoruba land & language to these strangers whose history started in 1960 who loath us but rely on coming to our lands first to have any economic or academic success.

Yoruba e ronu.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Easiest Way To Learn Yoruba? Please! by Olu317(m): 4:14pm On Mar 05, 2018
Y0ruba:

I see Yoruba folks quickly offering suggestions. Our natural inclination to offer kindness first without suspicion is usually our undoing.

Which can be found here: https://www.nairaland.com/4356641/regretful-journey-illorin-kwara

My response to you, it will do you well to get out of Yoruba land, including Ilorin & return to your paradisiacal Uyo where you can speak your language that burns the ears like corns popping in a popcorn machine.

My Yoruba folks, 9jakool & Olu317 abeg, e ma je ka se mistake ti awon ara waju wa se by handing out Yoruba land & language to these strangers whose history started in 1960 who loath us but rely on coming to our lands first to have any economic or academic success.

Yoruba e ronu.
Thanks for the information. Although, you underestimated my personality because, I only responded openly to a ‘presumably', honest seeker ,who intended to explore,outside his natural enclave but I goofed. Naturally,I don't comment on every thread that is interesting but some I passionately pay attention toward. Anyway, I am a very ‘CONSERVATIVE YORUBA' as regard, your fears. In fact, I am a man with high concentration of Melancholy trait before other traits in my blood. And being able to identify one's personal behavioural pattern is the statutory rule of life before positive interaction with fellow mankind.

Thanks

Cheers
Re: What's The Easiest Way To Learn Yoruba? Please! by Godzlove8(m): 8:24pm On Mar 06, 2018
Y0ruba:

Yoruba e ronu.
you're a real scallywag cheesy
Re: What's The Easiest Way To Learn Yoruba? Please! by Mightyeagle: 10:09am On Mar 07, 2018
LOL...

(1) (Reply)

Old Skul Folklore / Fellis / 64 old Man broke Scientific law by Spending 34 years Without A Sleep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.