Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,106 members, 7,849,451 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:50 PM

Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! (19063 Views)

Nigerian Lady Hit By Lebanese Man Driving Against Traffic In Lagos Dies / Helicopter Picks Billionaire Stuck In Traffic For 2 Hours On Lagos-Benin Road / Thousands Of Vehicles Stuck In Traffic In China (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by damola1: 7:26am On Mar 01, 2018
I can only live: 5mins walk from office, anything else is not acceptable.
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by RealGucci: 7:27am On Mar 01, 2018
thank God i dont live in lag.
shiithole
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by ariesbull: 7:27am On Mar 01, 2018
The city is mad and now dirty with lots of urchins and crime but it's a fun city anyway

Of you lived in Lagos for so long, you would have madness and insanity ingrained in you...that would make you see Saner cities like Enugu and Calabar as insane

That's the edge we are presently ....we just can't live in sane cities

1 Like

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by dfrost: 7:31am On Mar 01, 2018
I made trips to Ijebu Ode and Abeokuta between November last year and February this year and I authoritatively say that we are killing ourselves in Lagos.

How Ogun State is not fully tapping into the population explosion in Lagos still baffles me.

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by ikorodureporta: 7:33am On Mar 01, 2018
AutoJoshNIG:
I think some of us who live in Lagos state ought to change our postal addresses to read thus:

Omololu Njideka Ahmed
Lagos Traffic,
Lagos, Nigeria.

This might appear like an attempt at humour, but the reality upon us is that a great part of our lives spent living in Lagos is actually spent in traffic.

Indeed, millions of Lagosians spend more time in traffic than in their homes or workplaces!

Once-upon-a-time, yours truly departed Lekki Phase 1 for home. The time of departure was 4 pm. I got home, somewhere on the Mainland, sometime in the region of midnight. Note, that is just about the amount of time it takes to drive from Lagos to Accra, Ghana.

That is how brutal the legendary Lagos traffic could be.

Without realizing it, millions of Lagosians spend several months in a single year in traffic. That is, when hours are converted to days and months. And by this, I am not talking about Lagosians who eke a living in Lagos as commercial vehicle drivers.

Well, let me not bore you with tales. Let’s get down to do the maths. Perhaps that would illustrate how much of our lives we waste in Lagos traffic.

The Maths:

Now, let say that – on every weekday – you spend, say, 3 hours commuting in Lagos traffic, that means you spend 60 hours monthly (3hours x 5days x 4weeks) = 60hours.

60 hours converted to days is 2.5 days.

Multiply that by 12 months, what you get is 30 days.

Simply, if you spend 3 hours on weekdays commuting in Lagos, 30 days in a single year is what you spend in traffic.

So, if you spend more hours in Lagos traffic (going and returning from work), see below how many days or months in a year you spend in traffic below.

4 hours = 40 days

5 hours = 50 days.

6 hours = 60 days (2 months)

Note: (Anyone that spends more time beyond this point in traffic have absolutely no business not being a yellow cab, Uber or Taxify driver)

7 hours = 70 days.

8 hours = 80 days

9 hours = 90 days (3 months)

10 hours = 100 days

Surely, there is no way living this way cannot impact negatively on the Life Expectancy of a people.

So, how much time do you spend in traffic in a year?

https://autojosh.com/lagosians-see-much-time-spend-traffic-single-year/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

from Ikorodu, we spend more than twice of that....3hrs+x2 daily
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by buchilino(m): 7:34am On Mar 01, 2018
phayvoursky:
I HARDLY EXPERIENCE TRAFFIC THESE DAYS.

IF YOU DO LIKE ME, NA UR WAHALA BE THAT.

I LIVE AT BADAGRY. DAILY I LIVE MY HOUSE BY 3:30 AM HEADING FOR APAPA AND BEFORE 6 I'M AT MY DESTINATION.

AT THE CLOSE OF WORK I WAIT TILL 9PM BEFORE I HEAD FOR HOME JUST AND I GET HOME BETWEEN 11:30 PM AT MOST 12 AM.

BUT I HAVE TO SACRIFICE MY SLEEP. WETIN MAN GO DO NA?

MANY CARS OWNERS LIVING WITHIN THAT AXIS HAVE THEIR CARS PARKED IN THEIR GARAGE. ITS TOUGH BEEN A LAGOSIAN BUT LAGOS IS FOR TOUGH PEOPLE.

GUY UR NOT LIVING A LIFE OOO. BY D TIME U REACH 70, UR BODY WILL BE LOOKING LIKE A 102 YEAR OLD MAN. TAKE EASY OOO.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Divay22(f): 7:38am On Mar 01, 2018
phayvoursky:

I LIVE AT BADAGRY. DAILY I LIVE MY HOUSE BY 3:30 AM HEADING FOR APAPA AND BEFORE 6 I'M AT MY DESTINATION.

AT THE CLOSE OF WORK I WAIT TILL 9PM BEFORE I HEAD FOR HOME JUST AND I GET HOME BETWEEN 11:30 PM AT MOST 12 AM.

MANY CARS OWNERS LIVING WITHIN THAT AXIS HAVE THEIR CARS PARKED IN THEIR GARAGE. ITS TOUGH BEEN A LAGOSIAN BUT LAGOS IS FOR TOUGH PEOPLE.
3:30 shocked shocked shocked
So much for the hustle
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by livebynite: 7:44am On Mar 01, 2018
How does this reduce the cost of garri angry
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by livebynite: 7:44am On Mar 01, 2018
How does this reduce the cost of garri angry
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by intruxive(m): 7:52am On Mar 01, 2018
Jakumo:
But for the existence of the international airport in Lagos, I would never set foot in that place for the rest of my entire life, and be glad for that freedom of choice.

I cannot think of a dirtier, smellier, louder, more congested, more polluted, and more spontaneously dangerous city, than Lagos, Nigeria.

I would sooner occupy a grass hut located in a deep forest, for a whole year, with no phone, no electricity and only the food I can kill, than to spend one single day trapped inside a mansion built ANYWHERE in that place called Lagos.

I wouldn't stay a week in Lagos, even if someone offered me a million euros to take that challenge, unless of course the money was paid in advance, in which case I would take the cash and vanish into the cosmos, never to be seen again.

I could go on, but suffice to say, my loathing for Lagos Nigeria, runs very, very deep indeed.
The ajegunle I saw u last night, is it in eboyin state undecided
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by dominique(f): 8:14am On Mar 01, 2018
phayvoursky:

This is a very risky act, your system needs a lot of sleep. You're slowly killing yourself by depriving yourself of sleep and you don't even know it. I heard of a man who lived in Ikorodu and worked in VI that adopted your method. One morning as he was preparing to leave for work at 3:30am as usual, he slumped and that was the end (not your portion). Try to get a place closer to where you work or get as much sleep as possible before heading out to work.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Miamibutch(m): 8:17am On Mar 01, 2018
That's the price to pay for residing in an economy vibrant city.
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by thedondada(m): 8:25am On Mar 01, 2018
chukkystar:
Lagos will give U automatic high BP.. U wan go flex with ur money weekend sef, when U reason traffic U go just sit-down for house

This is The one that pains the most. After the stressful week. You want to roll out but when you think of traffic you will just sit at home and rest for next week.

It's frustrating

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Gangster1ms: 8:35am On Mar 01, 2018
Jakumo:
But for the existence of the international airport in Lagos, I would never set foot in that place for the rest of my entire life, and be glad for that freedom of choice.

I cannot think of a dirtier, smellier, louder, more congested, more polluted, and more spontaneously dangerous city, than Lagos, Nigeria.

I would sooner occupy a grass hut located in a deep forest, for a whole year, with no phone, no electricity and only the food I can kill, than to spend one single day trapped inside a mansion built ANYWHERE in that place called Lagos.

I wouldn't stay a week in Lagos, even if someone offered me a million euros to take that challenge, unless of course the money was paid in advance, in which case I would take the cash and vanish into the cosmos, never to be seen again.

I could go on, but suffice to say, my loathing for Lagos Nigeria, runs very, very deep indeed.
I hate lagos more than u bro... we share the same feeling. Born and raised here but every single day i step out I'm always angry... all i want from God is to help me relocate from this terrible state very soon!

6 Likes

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Gangster1ms: 8:39am On Mar 01, 2018
frenzyduchess:
The most thing I fear about relocating to Lagos is traffic.

How can someone wake up by 3am,leave the house by 4am just to beat traffic?, how do people even do it?,the worse part is you get to enter your house let's say 11pm at night and the circle continues undecided
Don't ever relocate please... lagos is awful! I think there's more cars than humans sef... if u want ur life to be long avoid lagos. The frustration is out of this world

1 Like

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by ba7man(m): 8:46am On Mar 01, 2018
Jakumo:

There's no money in that village you want to spend your life.
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 01, 2018
Gangster1ms:

Don't ever relocate please... lagos is awful! I think there's more cars than humans sef... if u want ur life to be long avoid lagos. The frustration is out of this world
but the job interviews I keep getting are in Lagos embarassed
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Gangster1ms: 9:01am On Mar 01, 2018
frenzyduchess:
but the job interviews I keep getting are in Lagos embarassed
Hmm.. very stressful life awaits u in lagos o.. if u have no choice then u can go ahead cry
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by dammy222(f): 9:11am On Mar 01, 2018
frenzyduchess:
The most thing I fear about relocating to Lagos is traffic.

How can someone wake up by 3am,leave the house by 4am just to beat traffic?, how do people even do it?,the worse part is you get to enter your house let's say 11pm at night and the circle continues undecided
I know someone that does exactly this. He has to leave his house by 4am and always gets home around 11 pm, sometimes 11:30pm
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Nobody: 9:14am On Mar 01, 2018
dammy222:

I know someone that does exactly this. He has to leave his house by 4am and always gets home around 11 pm, sometimes 11:30pm
it's just crazy, add that to stress at work and if the devil doesn't want to leave the person alone, add marital stress, omo na walking corpse be that

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by dammy222(f): 9:19am On Mar 01, 2018
frenzyduchess:
it's jsut crazy, add that to stress at work and if the devil doesn't want to leave the person alone, add marital stress, omo na walking corpse be that
Well, the truth is Lagos is stressful but we don't have a choice. Man must hustle..
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 01, 2018
dammy222:

Well, the truth is Lagos is stressful but we don't have a choice. Man must hustle..
I am so scared of tat traffic issue
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by dammy222(f): 9:26am On Mar 01, 2018
frenzyduchess:
I am so scared of tat traffic issue
Don't be.. You will eventually get used to it if you work in Lagos. As I am typing, I am stuck in traffic. My fault anyways cos I left home pretty late.
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 01, 2018
dammy222:

Don't be.. You will eventually get used to it if you work in Lagos. As I am typing, I am stuck in traffic. My fault anyways cos I left home pretty late.
get used to what?, that is a life of no serenity and peace, I don't want that kind of life at all
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by OgahBohz: 9:32am On Mar 01, 2018
Lagos is a demonic city nah ...

if you like be richer than Dangote ..
if you live in Lagos ..

traffic must have effect on you ..one way or the other ...

annoying thing is , the cost of transport during rush ours ..

from sango to oshodi 400n ..kilode!

come rain come shine in two years time I wanna be out a this place o ...

weekend that one is suppose to flex , you will have to sit at home like one super introvert

1 Like

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by manikspears: 9:45am On Mar 01, 2018
free2ryhme:

As if there is a choice

Traffic is a necessary evil that comes with growing cities

Go stay for your village if you dont want traffic

that is why lagosians life expectancy keeps reducing on daily basis.
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by free2ryhme: 9:48am On Mar 01, 2018
manikspears:

that is why lagosians life expectancy keeps reducing on daily basis.

is it your life expectancy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by BiafraIShere(m): 10:10am On Mar 01, 2018
Exactly the number one reason why I had to relocate to Owerri from Lagos, in fact I had to sublet my rent to a Bini guy I met when I advertised it on nairaland and sold many of my properties to him so that the landlord will not know I was leaving for good. I told him I was going for my masters and my friend will be staying in my house till I come back. Till today, he is still waiting for me to return, three years and counting grin grin
Enter any public bus in Lagos every morning and I bet you half of the passengers will be dozing! It is certainly affecting them psychologically because they don't sleep adequately, are always stressed up and full of anxiety if they will get to their destination on time and that is why they are always aggressive and angry for no reason grin grin
Living in Lagos alone can significantly reduce one's life expectancy except you are rich, whereby you live and work in the island and only visit mainland once in a long while!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by BiafraIShere(m): 10:24am On Mar 01, 2018
dammy222:

That is the normal daily routine for anyone living around Sango, Iyana ipaja etc but works anywhere around the island. Sometimes ago a global index placed Lagos as one of the world's most unlivable cities and some people were arguing about it.

4 Likes

Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by dammy222(f): 10:49am On Mar 01, 2018
frenzyduchess:
get used to what?, that is a life of no serenity and peace, I don't want that kind of life at all
lol
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by dammy222(f): 10:49am On Mar 01, 2018
BiafraIShere:
That is the normal daily routine for anyone living around Sango, Iyana ipaja etc but works anywhere around the island. Sometimes ago a global index placed Lagos as one of the world's most unlivable cities and some people were arguing about it.
Yes, you are right
Re: Lagosians, See How Much Time You Spend In Traffic In A Single Year! by Nobody: 10:55am On Mar 01, 2018
dammy222:

lol
my sister, una dey try, Infact I am just hoping the job I am working here works out before the offer I have in Lagos, even if the pay is smaller I will stay back here, lagos life is too stressful

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Driver's Car Impounded By Task Force, Asked To Pay ₦25,500 / Ice Skating In Nigeria: At Silverbird Galleria / Ibadan: Ongoing Reconstruction Of The 6.45 Km Olodo Garage-kasumu-Ajia Road(pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.