Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. (21209 Views)

Ben Enwonwu’s Painting Sold For £1.1m After Google Search / Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 / Ben Enwonwu’s Missing Painting, Tutu, Found In London Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by adecz: 10:02am On Mar 01, 2018
The paintings do not really
look spectacular.

In fact they appear dull
& amateurish.

I can't put such dull, lifeless
paintings on my wall.

Na oyibo know wet in dem want.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by max009(f): 10:03am On Mar 01, 2018
shocked
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by Emily22(m): 10:06am On Mar 01, 2018
Jonathan:
grin
Art is very foolish I swear.

I just don't get.

Humans have different priorities sha

I can never buy that thing for more than 2k in naira. grin

When you just have too much money and don't know how to spend it...

I no fit laff o
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by cbrass(m): 10:11am On Mar 01, 2018
how will a white man be the one organising the biding

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by livebynite: 10:11am On Mar 01, 2018
Did this reduce the price of garri in anyway? angry
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by HomeOfMe(f): 10:12am On Mar 01, 2018
naptu2:
Bonhams' press release.

https://www.bonhams.com/press_release/25572/

Professor Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers".
I love visiting art galleries and I love paintings on my wall at home and office.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by Chukazu: 10:25am On Mar 01, 2018
Jonathan:
grin
Art is very foolish I swear.

I just don't get.

Humans have different priorities sha

I can never buy that thing for more than 2k in naira. grin

When you just have too much money and don't know how to spend it...

It takes a "pristine mind and a noble heart" to understand #art

A street Urchin can't understand this

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by Originalsly: 10:40am On Mar 01, 2018
uuzba:
Boys here on NL can produce better graphics than this now.
I just don't get this art of a thing.
To all artist out there. ... May your work sell like this guy's work ... whatever criteria una dey use judge am.
I didn't get it until I saw a program on it. In a nutshell.... the value of your artwork is determined by your connections to those in the 'art circle'. If they 'approve' you as an artist.... then anything you put on canvas. ..even splatter paint on canvas. ... would carry great value. At best. ... the most expensige paintings in the world will never bring out a 'wow!...this guy can really paint! .... while local artists here on NL can do wayyyy better! No connections....no value.

2 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by dwebwalker(m): 10:49am On Mar 01, 2018
HeyCorleone:

An artwork has greater value when the artist is dead. Plus he must have a robust collection, some belonging to the creme de la crème of the society.

I'm an artist and I know some of our art now is better than the Masters but I guess time is factor

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by Sarang(f): 11:08am On Mar 01, 2018
HeyCorleone:

An artwork has greater value when the artist is dead. Plus he must have a robust collection, some belonging to the creme de la crème of the society.

But why after their death?
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by naptu2: 11:36am On Mar 01, 2018
Sarang:

Scarcity and demand and supply. An artist cannot paint or sculpt after his or her death.

An artist that is alive can produce more works and I can commission the artist to produce works for me, but once the artist is dead, then supply of his works becomes limited to the works that he made when he was alive and if he is famous and there's high demand, then demand will outstrip supply.

It's the idea that you must get that piece, otherwise you won't be able to get another like it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by chukzyfcbb: 11:41am On Mar 01, 2018
Sarang:

.that's life for you. your works are better appreciated when you die.
TUpac and Biggie are regarded the best rappers of all time. Just wait till when Eminem dies, and watch as that sentence of tupac and Biggie being the best rappers becomes obsolete.

That's life for you! Death gives your work more prominence.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by gamechanger1: 1:44pm On Mar 01, 2018
rheether:
Everything is art. Even this post is art.

Your dress sense, hair do, poise are all works of art!! Even your smile sef
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by kullozone(m): 4:33pm On Mar 01, 2018
[quote author=free2ryhme post=65463587][/quote]

A

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by kullozone(m): 4:33pm On Mar 01, 2018
[quote author=free2ryhme post=65463587][/quote]

B

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by kullozone(m): 4:44pm On Mar 01, 2018
Chukazu:

Comot there! This painting shii is just all about connections and popularity, whether it's inspiring or not. If this was done by an artist who's not well known, nobody would buy it at that amount.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by ewizard1: 11:11pm On Mar 01, 2018
Chukazu:

IMO, that's rude. You mean the fact he doesn't fancy art makes him a Street urchin?

#Nigerians
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by Konquest: 12:14am On Mar 02, 2018
naptu2:
Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event.

Bonhams auction house sold several expensive pieces of African art yesterday in London and the star of the show was Tutu, a painting by Professor Ben Enwonwu.

However, Bonhams also had an event at the Wheatbaker Hotel, 4 Onitolo Road, Ikoyi in Lagos where guests watched a live stream of the event and could also bid for items that were on sale. Several of the items, including "African Dancers" by Professor Enwonwu, were bought by guests in Lagos.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Osisiye/status/968897614942007296
^^^^^^
^^^^^^
Ben Enwonwu also created the statue
of Sango... the Yoruba God of thunder
that the old electricity company NEPA
had in front of their headquarters at
Marina, Lagos Island.

It is not surprisingly that the painting
of Tutu which has links with Ile-Ife
has fetched such at a high price in
U.S. dollars!

I learned about Prof. Ben Enwonwu
while in secondary school...an FGC in Nigeria
years back during our fine arts classes.
We even had fine arts text books then
and also learned about the great Prof.
Bruce Onabrakpeya who is still alive
and painting even as an elderly man.
He has an art studio in the Papa-Ajao
Mushin axis of Lagos State.

This is the reason why I'm an
art lover/art collector, especially
sculptures in my house. I love
abstract paintings that force you
to think.

I wonder if the kids in schools today
are still taught about these art icons?

Nice thread!
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by naptu2: 1:04am On Mar 02, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
Ben Enwonwu also created the statue
of Sango... the Yoruba God of thunder
that the old electricity company NEPA
had in front of their headquarters at
Marina, Lagos Island.

It is not surprisingly that the painting
of Tutu which has links with Ile-Ife
has fetched such at a high price in
U.S. dollars!

I learned about Prof. Ben Enwonwu
while in secondary school...an FGC in Nigeria
years back during our fine arts classes.
We even had fine arts text books then
and also learned about the great Prof.
Bruce Onabrakpeya who is still alive
and painting even as an elderly man.
He has an art studio in the Papa-Ajao
Mushin axis of Lagos State.

This is the reason why I'm an
art lover/art collector, especially
sculptures in my house. I love
abstract paintings that force you
to think.

I wonder if the kids in schools today
are still taught about these art icons?

Nice thread!

Then you'll probably like this thread https://www.nairaland.com/4373617/ben-enwonwus-portrait-tutu-sold

I learnt about Professor Enwonwu in school, I know Professor Onobrakpeya personally and I was also taught about Yusuf Grillo, but the person that fascinated me the most was Twins 77, probably because of all the myths and wonderful stories surrounding him.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by Konquest: 5:07am On Mar 02, 2018
naptu2:

Then you'll probably like this thread https://www.nairaland.com/4373617/ben-enwonwus-portrait-tutu-sold

I learnt about Professor Enwonwu in school, I know Professor Onobrakpeya personally and I was also taught about Yusuf Grillo, but the person that fascinated me the most was Twins 77, probably because of all the myths and wonderful stories surrounding him.
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
@Naptu2

Thanks for the Web link on Ben
Enwonwu and the painting "Tutu." smiley
Oh...great! So you know Dr.Bruce
Onobrakpeya personally? The man
is an iconic art guru. Despite the fact that
he hasn't passed on yet, his abstract
paintings and other art works usually
fetch him a 7-figure income in Naira!

I was viewing Channels TV ART HOUSE
online and references were made to Dr. Bruce Onobrakpeya's works below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?=AqG-tle5TsQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?=WGSMxkT3gXl

I had an A2 in Art in my final exams
in secondary school... although I was
a science student because I'm
visual and have a great love for art
and music as well.

We used a text book written by Professor
Solomon Irein Wangboje entitled "Art for
Secondary Schools." Perhaps that is the
art text book you used in school as well.

The Zaria Art school masters were:
Yusuf Grillo, Bruce Onobrakpeya,
Solomon Irein Wagboje [a native of
Sabon-Gida Ora, Edo State], etc.

Twins 77's afro-centric works are
fantastic [mythical-wise] just as
you've said.

All the best!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by dominique(f): 8:23am On Mar 02, 2018
@Konquest stop modifying your post so that you won't get blocked by the bots again
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by HeyCorleone(m): 11:50am On Mar 02, 2018
dwebwalker:

I'm an artist and I know some of our art now is better than the Masters but I guess time is factor

Same here.

Time is of great essence. Very great essence. Plus a bit of controversy. For example, the Mona Lisa, which is priceless, only became famous after it was stolen, and then recovered.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by dwebwalker(m): 5:12pm On Mar 03, 2018
HeyCorleone:

Same here.

Time is of great essence. Very great essence. Plus a bit of controversy. For example, the Mona Lisa, which is priceless, only became famous after it was stolen, and then recovered.

I do agree with you but I don't just have controversy in my blood line though...

But I believe it's possible to really make it work
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by HeyCorleone(m): 9:31pm On Mar 03, 2018
dwebwalker:

I do agree with you but I don't just have controversy in my blood line though...

But I believe it's possible to really make it work

Heard of Andy Warhol? Salvador Dali? Take a cue from these folks.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by dwebwalker(m): 11:40pm On Mar 03, 2018
HeyCorleone:

Heard of Andy Warhol? Salvador Dali? Take a cue from these folks.

Yes I know these guys...

My favorite is Jim Warren, Jimmy Law

(1) (2) (Reply)

Creative Art Work Done On Hands - Pictures / A Nairalander's Photo-realistic Drawing Of Senator Binta Masi / CORELDRAW | PHOTOSHOP | ILLUSTRATOR | Training For Beginners (VIDEO TUTORIALS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.