Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,420 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:17 AM

The Hole In The Wall - Literature (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Hole In The Wall (434561 Views)

The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea / A Short Story - The Wall Between- Haruna Shukurat / lovely new series to read: The Wall Betweeen by Shukura Haruna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Silvertrinity(f): 8:02pm On May 18, 2018
Andy is annoying sadi never trusted dat christie

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Eberechi24(f): 6:38pm On May 19, 2018
queenitee:
I'm fine and you?
am blessed, Happy weekend
Re: The Hole In The Wall by alarmednigerian: 1:14am On May 20, 2018
Just want to say a big Kudos to you

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by pweetygiftofGod(f): 2:14am On May 20, 2018
Nice one

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by paafin(m): 10:33am On May 20, 2018
Boss, you fit drop like two updates today via say today na Sunday, Abeg??

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 20, 2018
this story is bae jst lyk james hardley chase kind of thriller......ride on

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Joislim(f): 1:50pm On May 20, 2018
I'm glad soul is back.....

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by dview001(m): 1:52pm On May 20, 2018
my name is souloho and I am the fastest mind alive
to the outside world I'm an ordinary Nigerian but secretly with the help of my phone on naira land
I reveal mysteries in form of stories ...I am an Enigma
(souloho 2018)

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by chisiudeh: 1:54pm On May 20, 2018
I think this is fome in action but she has a sponsor somewhere.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 20, 2018
Gudt o have u back Nairaland is becoming something else these days, too many fights and literature sec. was becoming boring hence i lessen my visit here but having u back just revived my interest.
Ride on.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Rapfrick(m): 12:03am On May 21, 2018
I think buzz is a mole

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by bimberry1307(f): 1:36pm On May 21, 2018
I think it's one of those securities attached to Olivia that's behind leaking their informations.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by souloho19(m): 2:19pm On May 21, 2018
Bleeze2:
Souloho19, you are one of the best brains i av seen in a while
And bro u av forgotten i am one of ur big fans, u dnt even mention my name when u started this, if not tgat it qas in d front page i wouldn't av known
Kudos bro

Forgive the omission bro, its great to have you here man welcome
Re: The Hole In The Wall by souloho19(m): 2:46pm On May 21, 2018
emperorblog helenbee cindy1000 oroolorun ekopsparoayara Godwinfury ann2012 preshb mitchelljnr itsandi silvertrinity eberechi24 queenitee alarmednigerian pweetygiftofGod paafin ladidacanon joislim dview001 chisiudeh iamloyalty rapfrick bimberry1307. I appreciate your comments big time

::::::::::::::::

I was considering the odds in succesfully cheating my body off sleep when my phone rang.

The ringtone jerked Bami awake and he sat up blinking sleepily "who, what, where,.......Rex...."

I smiled as I studied the number. It was an unknown number and I couldn't help wondering if it was Fome.

I sobered up immediately "hello"

"Rex....everything its a disaster, never do anything like this again you hear me?!"

"Woa....calm down doctor Rasheed....whats happ-"

"It's doctor Rilwan to you and never leave any of your agents in my office again....in fact you are not welcome here! I'll need my keys now"

"What happened doctor?"

"To start with, I'm locked inside my office... Andy is out cold in the lab...he had the shit kicked out of him by my shy and meek Christina and the lab is in a terrible mess!!!"

I had to pull the phone inches from my ear as he shouted. His voice still filled the car like the loudspeaker was on. I imagined the river l shaped vein that ran from his forehead to his temple popping out and threatening to implode as it did whenever he was upset.

"Are you serious! Andy is unconscious?" I couldn't believe it.

"No, no I'm joking...we're playing hide and seek!!" He retorted

"Just keep calm doc, we're on our way"

"What happened to Andy?" Bami asked as I made a U-turn.

"He got in a fight with the student doctor and he's knocked out"

"Really....that slim girl....she beat him?" Bami said in amazed wonder "interesting"

"Yeah...apparently she was just like Mona" I remembered his fight with her and how it had ended. Infact I had live ammo for making fun at both their expense.

"You know what....its not so interesting after all" Bami said.

"So this Christie girl where does she fit? He asked as we neared the hospital.

"Maybe through Fome or Shadow or maybe she isn't really affiliated with any of them but was recently paid to spy on the doctor but her ability to fight says otherwise."

"Hmmmm........another thing, this doctor Rasheed guy was he aware that it was the wrong body he buried or what?" Bami asked

"I don't know..I had the impression he thinks she's really dead, anyway we'll find out everything we need....just like we did with that Sylvanus guy"

"But the doctor is a friend...an ally" Bami said.

"Bami......my wife has been hospitalized, my daughter is missing....at ths point everyone is hostile"

::::::::::::::::::::::

Olivia

She was drifting through the stars...she felt so weightless yet she could see the surgeons with nosemasks and head covers as they hovered around her like satellites and space ships.

It was like watching them through a giant Tv screen with the highest definition. She tried to raise her hand to the screen but she couldn't. She couldn't even feel her arms not to talk of raise them.

Damn the sweet Morphine, she hated the way it made her feel. But she loved to feel like this.

:::::::::::::::::

Tonye lay fast asleep in the camp bed she left in her office and seldom used. She tossed about roughly as she obviously dreamt of something disturbing.
She mumbled in her sleep then turned her head left and right with her lips glued together like she was being forced to take a spoon of medicine.

She cried out suddenly "Oh Emma....." then lay still and stopped thrashing.

A single tear rolled down her cheek.

:::::::::::::::::::

The diagnostic center was empty and quiet. The heavy set nurse who had been in the reception and given me directions two days ago was nowhere to be found. The Tv on the wall was still on although it was muted. The only audience however were fast asleep. An elderly woman in a cleaner's overall and a middle aged man. Both lay sprawled on the bench.

I walked down the corridor hurriedly with Bami just ahead of me. He still had his gun out and this time I didn't mind.

The door to the lab was slightly ajar and he burst into the lab sweeping every angle with his gun then he holstered his gun. "Clear" he called out to me.

Andy was sitting on the floor looking dazed. He had his right hand pressed against the side of his head and a thin trail of blood tickled through his fingers.

"My God Andy..." I hurried to his side and knelt down. "Bami he's bleeding....we'll need the first aid kit in the car"

Bami had been trying the door to the inner office to no avail and for the second time in less than three hours, he kicked in the door. Doctor Rasheed rushed out immediately. He cried out in dismay as he studied the damage that had been done to his lab.
"Oh my God....who is going to pay for all these? Oh no....this is Government property....Oh, I'm finished...."

"Doctor over here...I think Andy has a concussion" I called out. But he just stood rooted to the spot looking round his precious lab which looked like a bomb had gone off inside.

I tossed Bami the car key and he hurried out to get the first aid kit from the truck while I shook Andy who stared into space unblinking. "Andy, Andy can you hear me....?" I glanced helplessly at the doctor "doctor you have to do something...he's bleeding"

But doctor Rasheed had a concussion of his own. He looked round the lab feeling defeated. "This is a nightmare" he muttered.

"Doctor, I promise you... BROTA would take responsibility for any damage and would replace them...you have my word"

That seemed to break the spell and he blinked. He looked at me finally as his eyes refocussed. "You'd do that?"
"You have my word doctor...now I need you to have a look at Andy"

The doctor shone his pen light into Andy's dilapidated eyes, down his throat, then listened to his heartbeat with a stethoscope.
"His knuckles are scraped and bloody, so atleast he dished out some" He observed solemnly

He poked Andy in the ribs and my static friend jerked back and cried out in pain. He blinked then glanced at me without any hint of recognition.

"One broken rib...maybe two, a black eye and a split lip" Dr. Rasheed continued.

Finally he removed Andy's hand gently and studied the head wound.

"Hmmm....let's see, blunt force trauma to the head...by an object with a rough surface which split open the epidermis on impact....skull still intact and brain should be unaffected...."

Bami burst into the room with the box in his hand. "I got antiseptic and bandages" he announced.

"Good, good....but first i need to run some tests, get the full diagnosis, you know right now he has delayed diagnosis"

"Would you please stop saying that?" I said exasperatedly. The phrase was all that I heard recently and I was sick of it.

"I have to run a complete test first...that's how I work" the doctor said then he sighed as if just remembering his lab was a mess. "Its not like i can even run any tests right now"

"let me stop the head wound then prepare some painkillers" He took the kit from Bami and began rummaging through the items.

"you saw the fight?" Bami asked

"yea...most of it.....I tell you I still can't believe little Christie took down someone as tall as Andy."

"she's obviously a pro" Bami said.

"did you see what she used to hit him on the head?" I asked.

He shook his head as he began dabbing gently around the wound with a cotton wool soaked in antiseptic. "no...most of the time the fight moved out of my view...the lab is quite big as you can see"

Andy made a sound in his throat as the cotton wool mopped up the blood.

"no need to fear...Andy's fine...once I tend to his injuries, i'd sedate him and he should be okay when he wakes" he told me as my brow creased with worry.
I nodded then stood up. a quick glance at my wrist told me the time was 03:57am

"doctor...please look after him, I have to get to kirikiri prison right away..."

"don't worry he's in safe hands....my assistant will.....errm i'll send you the bill for the damages later today"

"okay no problem.." i looked at Bami "hope you don't mind looking after Andy"

"i do mind...i'm not letting you go see the chief alone and besides Andy is safe here....what needs to be done is being done, nothing else to do"

I didn't bother to argue "okay but call Tonye to send someone here at the crack of dawn"
"roger" he offered me the car key as we left the lab but i shook my head "no you drive....i think i'll doze a little"

:::::::::::::::::::

The kirikiri maximum prison has an official capacity for 1,056 persons. However the number of souls crammed into the prison has always been tripple the number. And the most recent study showed it was home to approximately 5,000 prisoners, of which over half of the inmates were still awaiting trial.

The first and last time I had been there to see the chief, he had been in a terrible state, had lost weight and had a terrible cough. He was bitter then and had to be physically restrained by two wardens as he tried to attack me.
"This isn't over...this isn't over..it's not over!" He had shouted as he was led back to his cell

"Actually, I think it is" I had replied arrogantly.

But here I was going back...after over a year and I wondered the pitiful state I would find him.

"We should be in the prison by 6" Bami announced interrupting my thoughts.

I sat up straight, glancing at the dashboard. "that's fifteen minutes away"

"Yup....men I need a cup of coffee so bad"

"me too" I removed the paper the hotel manager had given us. The sky was not bright enough to read yet and I couldn't make out the words. I switched on the inner light and squinted at the pages.

"he has a nice writing....okay. he has her name here...it says Monique Jessar-ravvani"

Bami glanced at me "what kind of name is that?"

I shook my head "My brother the matter weak me"
I scanned the rest of the documents. "implants!" I said suddenly

"im- what?"

"breast implants....she also had breast enlargement done....no wonder the clerk made that bigger than the sun joke"

"hmmm....when was this done?"

"Let me see.....its all a bunch of mumbo jumbo....okay the surgery date was set for..." I turned the paper to read what was written on the other side. "November 3rd...2016"
"about 16 months ago..." Bami said
"And about two months after the fire" I added.

I scanned the rest of the contents.

"The forward address to the plastic surgeon's clinic is here....its in Abuja"

"I'll have Clyde or Buzz check it out. Since they're in Jos already its more easier"

"You better leave them where they are...my family needs protection" I said.

I balled the paper and lowered my window but on second thought I put the paper in the cup holder.

"Everything points to Fome, apart from the name of course which was a terrible alias, but I guess the fact that no one could recognize her beneath the 2nd and 3rd degree burns was security enough" I said.

"This keeps getting stranger and stranger.." Bami muttered. "At least we made it in good time"

True enough the Prison high fence had come into view and I could see the heavy gate up ahead. The time was 06:01am.

::::::::::::::::::

Tonye had been up since 4am, less than four hours sleep was an indulgence in these circumstances. Not when her best friend was fighting for her life and her god daughter was kidnapped. And the worst thing was, she had a bad dream....a very bad dream but she couldn't remember it....just hazy flashes that disappeared before she could even grasp it. But it left her with a dreadful feeling.

And then there was her husband, and Rex...planning to go charging into a secure location, asking questions. There was every possibility that such a scenerio wouldn't end well.

An hour of pacing back and forth made up her mind for her. She used her special key to open the last drawer in her table then flipped through a small notebook. When she saw what she was looking for, she brought out her phone and copied a number from the jotter and dialed.

She tapped her foot restlessly as the phone rang.
After what seemed like eternity a gruff voice came over the line "What is it?"

"Bigelow....this is your service provider. Please visit our nearest branch by 8 o'clock to partake in the customer feedback service and stand a chance to win a generator, Ps4 and lots of other prizes......its very important." And she cut the call. The line wasn't secure, the truth was no line was secure so during her days in the state service, The code had been used to arrange meetings between agents on high risk mission to avoid detection. The 'nearest branch' was always a location that had been prearranged between the agents. Maybe a restaurant or bus park, in some cases cinemas. Basically any place that was suitable for the free flow of information exchange.

In Tonye's case, she and her former partner Bigelow had handpicked a pizza hut for their meetings. mainly cause Bigelow was a foodie and loved pizza.

She wondered if he would show up. He did owe her after all, she had once saved his life and he had been extremely grateful. she hoped he would be grateful enough to show up now that she needed a favour.

:::::::::::::::::

Bami and I moved about restlessly in the waiting area while one of the wardens had gone to retrieve the inmate. That was the word he had used 'retrieve'

The second one stayed with us and after continually insisting we have a seat, he gave up and focused on a sports newspaper that had been well thumbed the pages looked weak.

"what's taking them so long....its been almost thirty minutes!" Bami protested

"he'll be here, there's a lot of time wasting procedure to go through...for every cell block gate he passes, he'd have to fill a form and the inmate has to Sign also." The warden explained folding his newspaper.
We continued pacing, glancing at the door and our wrist anxiously.

The warden returned by 06:44am followed by an older man in a suit. He wasn't the chief.

"What took you so long? And where is the prisoner?" I asked the uniformed warden.

The older man interrupted us. "My name is Francis Otello, I'm the chief warden of this prison" he thrust his hand in our face and we each shook him. "I understand you're looking for the inmate Amunike...?" He glanced from me to Bami..
"Yes...where is he?"

He has been informed you're around and has agreed to see you....if you'll just follow me."

The chief warden spun on his heels and Bami and I followed him.

"So are there any prisoners on death row?" Bami asked

"Of course......a lot of them, some of them awaiting appeal...which is just a method to buy a little time. In my opinion"

We followed the chief warden aka Francis Otello through a series of unending bending corridors, which led to a court yard. The equipment were suprisingly in good shape, not how i remembered it from the last time I had been there.

The floor had been painted with yellow arcs and lines, and the board, rim and net were brand new......... The lawn tennis net had also been changed and the court outlined boldly once again.

"woa....the government tried....this place was horiblbe before" I said to no one in particular as i looked around

"you're right it was an eyesore" The warden replied with a good natured laugh. he led us to a door then slid his key card into the lock. The red light blinked green and he opened the door.

"These is the prison proper"
He led us past cell blocks stopping every now and then to slide his key card into the lock.

"Why is everywhere so quiet?" I asked as I remembered the level of noise during my previous visit.

"Oh...They'd still be sleeping by now...our inmates are much different now...they cohabitate in peace and we haven't even had a fight for months"

"woa...that's impressive...what did you do?"

"me....nothing much"

We passed through some intricate corridors, and I saw some places that had definitely not been there the day before. There was the 'Gym' for instance fully equipped when not so long ago a couple of dried cement in 5 litre buckets out in the yard had been all the Gym comprised of.

Most interesting of all was the kitchen and the aroma of fried akara coming from the open window.

I shook my head in disbelief "just how much did the Government spend on all these renovations?"

"oh...it wasn't the Government....the very man you seek is behind everything

"Amunike?" Bami was shocked.

"yes, for the first time there is more than enough food in here...believe me, the inmates don't want to leave. One of them who was released sometime ago came back barely a week later on his own accord." the warden said.

He led us to the peculiar door once more and after his key card had gotten us across, we walked down a narrow passage. There were cells on either side, all of them occupied there were empty styrofoam plates filled with bones and left over rice and even empty beer cans in a corner of the cell. The warden stopped at the last door and opened the gate.

Bami and i entered slowly, our mouth hanging open as we studied the cell. It was tiled with marbles,

A flower patterned blue wall paper ran across the wall and a comfortable looking bed lay in a corner along with a table and which had a computer with internet access on it. There was a 40 inch plasma Tv with a dstv decoder, CNN was on and Larry King was interviewing some kind of diplomat

There was a standing split unit. blasting cold air and chilling the room. There was also a table top fridge in the corner. But the clincher was the batthub in the center of the cell. On second inspection i noticed it was not a bathtub but a jaccuzzi. I wondered how he had been able to set this up in a maximum prison but I guess with money one could do almost anything in this Nigeria.

There was a big tray of a full roasted fish lined with tomatoes, onions, cucumber and a carton of fruit juice on a small table before the chief who was about to dig in.

He looked up with a frown to see the intruders but he smilled in suprise when he saw me and bami.

"Ah Rex....i thought you'd forgotten all about your old man...how's life treating you, please do join me for breakfast...this fish was out of the grill barely ten minutes ago...its really exquisite! you remember Ndidi don't you...well she's simply the best..just the best!" he said all these with a sly smile on his lips and a knowing look in his eyes. But i didn't care for his mind games just yet so i said firmly "you're not my old man....just another old man and we'll be asking the questions here"

He sighed then dropped the Bleep and knife he had been holding. he attacked the fish with his hands and the aroma played with our noses.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by HelenBee(f): 3:18pm On May 21, 2018
The chief is enjoying o. All these for a criminal The height of corruption!

5 Likes

Re: The Hole In The Wall by queenitee(f): 3:30pm On May 21, 2018
Haha, the chief is enjoying o. Ah ah, inside the prison mani. Otitan.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Godwinfury(m): 3:49pm On May 21, 2018
Hmmm, so the chief is now living pretty well in prison, just like those American and foreign countries own...
Souloho19, you are the man, keep it up bro.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by phoenixchap: 6:50pm On May 21, 2018
Nawa oo, Amunission transformed the prison and is now the king there, he's out of BROTA them league....
Seems Delayed diagnosis has left a really big hole in the wall.

I think this work is going to be finer,

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Preshb(f): 7:43pm On May 21, 2018
Nice one, thanks for updating

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Preshb(f): 7:47pm On May 21, 2018
The chief has his plan, even in the prison. Nice update. Thanks @ souloho

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by joshnes(m): 8:26pm On May 21, 2018
Great update souloho19! Things are shaping up little by little even though nothing is clear yet.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by cyndy1000(f): 11:37pm On May 21, 2018
Nice one man thanks for the dedication. I really felt for Andy tho!

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by pweetygiftofGod(f): 11:39pm On May 21, 2018
I'm tensed, scared of what may happen next, gosh!!!

Well done souloho19. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Silvertrinity(f): 8:13am On May 22, 2018
nice one

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 4:50pm On May 22, 2018
If Kirikiri can rise to d level u described, believe it many frustrated 9ja youth would gladly slap d president so dat they can b sentence to prison.
But gobe is when they expect Kirikiri but land Kuje.
Can't wait to hear what the chief got to say.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 5:00pm On May 22, 2018
[color=#006600][/color][color=#006600]
Preshb:
The chief has his plan, even in the prison.
Computer with internet in the hand of the chief is equal to giving Shekau the key to the arsenal and the code of atomic bomb.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 5:09pm On May 22, 2018
pweetygiftofGod:
I'm scared of what may happen next
Don't be scared, na Souloho19 dey write naw. He can turn Amuneke to an Angel if he observe that the tempo wan to high.

2 Likes

Re: The Hole In The Wall by pweetygiftofGod(f): 5:24pm On May 22, 2018
Oroolorun:
Don't be scared, na Souloho19 dey write naw. He can turn Amuneke to an Angel if he observe that the tempo wan to high.

LOL grin

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by EVARISTOMONARCH: 7:46pm On May 22, 2018
Andy really got what suits him. A man that thinks with his dick really got what he bargained for.

I think things do happen for a reason especially to cause a change as with the case of Chief
Amunike . Had it been he wasn't sentenced the prison wouldn't have seen the face of such positive change.

Mr Soul your suspense is so captivating. Please keep it up.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Kaycee9242(m): 10:14pm On May 22, 2018
Mr soul well done, dis episode is very interesting

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Raingirl(f): 10:55pm On May 22, 2018
I hope Emma & her mother will survive... Thumbs up Oga soul.Anxiously waiting for anoda update😃😃😄

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by mekonglobal(m): 11:56pm On May 22, 2018
grin Souloho19 the master twister i'm with you all the way ride on sir.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (100) (Reply)

Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms / A Man To Call Her Own / SPEECHLESS:A Story By Marianneada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.