Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:45 AM

Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning (50683 Views)

Isoko Names And Their Meaning / Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by sisisioge: 12:42pm On Mar 06, 2018
xtenxive:

Even this Oritsemodupe should be Oritsemodope

Sisisioge

Is there a difference between the two? Oh, there is! Looks like a murder to a typical Yoruba name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by omowole52: 12:49pm On Mar 06, 2018
these itshekiris are from which part of Nigeria please

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by scholes0(m): 12:49pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

it's a unique yoruboid language, influenced by Urhobo and Edo. some names up there are urhobo names, eg Okoro, Dolor etc while some are Edo names eg Edema.

errrm, are you sure Edema is an Edo name?

I have never seen any Benin man called Edema before, The only Edemas I know are Itsekiris,some from Ondo state and one guy from Ijebu waterside.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Crocky23: 12:49pm On Mar 06, 2018
[s]
scholes0:

While Urhobo people are descendants of escaped Bini human sacrifice and those who were chasing them that got lost in the Udu evil forests and couldn't find their way back.
They are even landlocked sef. undecided

They are not Real "South-South" like ITSEKIRI people.
[/s]

You people can always join the SW. Traitors in the old Midwest, traitors now.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by scholes0(m): 12:50pm On Mar 06, 2018
Crocky23:
[s][/s]

You people can always join the SW. Traitors in the old Midwest, traitors now.

While the Midwest themselves are traitors in the Old West, Traitors now, traitors forever. What's your point?

You people can keep dreaming about one yeye midwest that Anioma, Ijaw, Akoko-Edo and Itsekiris will not be part of... is that one a midwest? Lmao

8 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Crocky23: 12:50pm On Mar 06, 2018
omowole52:
these itshekiris are from which part of Nigeria please

Lost Yoruba travellers in the south south.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Jackipapa: 12:52pm On Mar 06, 2018
9ger is one!

I blame Buhari anyways!
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Crocky23: 12:52pm On Mar 06, 2018
scholes0:

While the Midwest themselves are traitors in the Old West, Traitors now, traitors forever.

What's your point?
You're Yoruba abi, on behalf of south south people I dash you Itsekiri.

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by scholes0(m): 12:53pm On Mar 06, 2018
Crocky23:

You're Yoruba abi, on be of south south people I dash you Itsekiri.

You can't dash what isn't yours.

Neither can you dash something that is already part of something to that same thing.

You are one confused morrafacka. grin

14 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 1:00pm On Mar 06, 2018
scholes0:

errrm, are you sure Edema is an Edo name?

I have never seen any Benin man called Edema before, The only Edemas I know are Itsekiris,some from Ondo state and one guy from Ijebu waterside.

Edema isn't yoruboid either, Gentle in Yoruba means Jeje .. if an Ondo man answers that name then it's because of Bini influence in Ondo.

I find your earlier post about the Urhobo's offending.

*Modified

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Adefemiaderoju1: 1:01pm On Mar 06, 2018
What most people don't know here is Itsekiri are Yoruba, Yorubas are Itsekiri.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by scholes0(m): 1:11pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

Edema isn't yoruboid either, any itsekiri word that has no Yoruba origin is either borrowed from Urhobo or Edo. Gentle in Yoruba means Jeje .. if an Ondo man answers that name then it's because of Bini influence in Ondo.

I find your earlier post about the Urhobo's offending.

Abeg no vex jare bros mi, sometimes people on NL can get on a gentlemen’s nerves and make him say some very unprintable things just to make a point.

To your other point, gentle is different from being a gentleman. They aren’t of the same context, for example calling a guy a gentleman doesn’t mean you are saying he is gentle or calling a gathering of people “Ladies and gentlemen” does not mean you are saying the men are gentle people. It is just a stylish way of calling someone well mannered or cultured.

Secondly, dialectal effects might have come into play in the formulation of some nuances in the names here , because not every Yoruboid dialect calls everything the same names. Edema might even be a compound or contracted longer word whose actual meaning has been lost but just the general idea remains. The Edemas in Ondo are not a result of bini influence neigther are the ones in Itsekiri. Edema isn’t an Edo name.

I stand to be corrected.

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Awoofawo(m): 1:11pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

Credits:

http://ngr.ng/itsekiri-names/

These generally confirm the Itsekiri link to Ijebu and Yoruba particular.......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Trexnemesis(m): 1:15pm On Mar 06, 2018
What is the meaning of name Ejutemedien?
Also, Okorigbogbomiden? Both are Itsekiri names.
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 1:23pm On Mar 06, 2018
scholes0:

Abeg no vex jare bros mi, sometimes people on NL can get on a gentlemen’s nerves and make him say some very unprintable things just to make a point

You can start by modifying your subsequent comments, u self know say urhobo no dey sabi beef una.

To your other point, gentle is different from being a gentleman. They aren’t of the same context, for example calling a guy a gentleman doesn’t mean you are saying he is gentle or calling a gathering of people “Ladies and gentlemen” does not mean you are saying the men are gentle people. It is just a stylish way of calling someone well mannered or cultured.

Secondly, dialectal effects might have come into play in the formulation of some nuances in the names here , because not every Yoruboid dialect calls everything the same names. Edema might even be a compound or contracted longer word whose actual meaning has been lost but just the general idea remains. The Edemas in Ondo are not a result of bini influence neigther are the ones in Itsekiri. Edema isn’t an Edo name.

I stand to be corrected.

If you so much believe that Edema is a yoruba word then you can start by giving me the meaning, Thou dialect differ but you can easily tell which is Yoruba or not.

Edemadudun - Edema (Edoid) + dudu (Yoruba) .. You don't need a Prof to tell you which itsekiri word is Yoruboid or not, but I will definitely give you prove to my claim.. hold on.

And Gentleman in Yoruba is also Jeje , https://yoruba.english-dictionary.help/english-to-yoruba-meaning-gentleman ..

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by profmallor: 1:30pm On Mar 06, 2018
I see...
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by saintkeppy(m): 1:38pm On Mar 06, 2018
What's the meaning of Oritsefemi, Oritsejafor,

I bin get 1 fine babe that time for skool &her name was Tosan &My guys for Dept. back then in Skool were Abayomi &Yemi, when they told me they'all from Delta, I quickly identify them as Itsekiris &they Were suprise how i got to know.

They were part of the many warri friends I had, ready to crack ur ribs at any time. grin

It was real fun to be around them..

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by scholes0(m): 1:39pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

You can start by modifying your subsequent comments, u self know say urhobo no dey sabi beef una.

If you so much believe that Edema is a yoruba word then you can start by giving me the meaning, Thou dialect differ but you can easily tell which is Yoruba or not.

Edemadudun - Edema (Edoid) + dudu (Yoruba) .. You don't need a Prof to tell you which itsekiri word is Yoruboid or not, but I will definitely give you prove to my claim.. hold on.

And Gentleman in Yoruba is also Jeje , https://yoruba.english-dictionary.help/english-to-yoruba-meaning-gentleman ..

Will do that.

So what does Exema mean in Edo then, and how does its meaning connect to being a gentleman? The burden of proof is on the edoids, since this name exists in Three Yoruboid groups if not more, and yet no single Edo group bears Edema as a name yet you wanna claim it comes from them.

I already told you about dialectal difference already, I don’t know how else to explain it - but take this as an example.

The name Jolomi is a Yoruboid name. BUT you will only see it in Itsekiri and certain Ondo groups. Jolo (pronounced as Jorlor) is a Yoruboid word meaning beautify, replace , replenish, repair etc... but its use has a restricted grographical scape.
Now you can tell what a name like Oritsejolomi means.

Now, if I don’t see Jolo in my Yoruba dictionary- I would be very wrong to jump into a hasty conclusion by automatically assuming that it is an Edo name.

Another example will be the Igala name Onuche, Ogwuche or Onoja - these are very apecific Igala names one might even be tempted to think the first or second one is igbo- but believe me they are proper Yoruboid names that have been accented by the Yoruboid language in question (Igala). In Yoruba the first and second one would be Olushe (Master don do am) , while the second would be Ogunshe (Juju don do am). Third one would be Oloja (village owner i.e Ruler)

I hope you are getting my point sha?

8 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by clefstone(m): 1:54pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

Is Abugewa yoruboid?, cous it's a common name in Okpe and Uvwie.

Uvwie has a great influence in your language, Example Dolor is an uvwie word for money, thou some part make use of E'kowa.
Uvwie people bear Itsekiri names such as Majemite. I believe that Uvwie people don't have a common ancestry, they must have migrated to their present location from Urhobo, Okpe and Itsekiri areas
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by godofuck231: 1:55pm On Mar 06, 2018
DollarAngel:
What of Buhari

Not on the itsekiri constitution. Name obscure possible meaning, mumu

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by charleoj(m): 1:56pm On Mar 06, 2018
what's the meaning of oritsewenoma?
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by clefstone(m): 1:56pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

I get your point, just want to know the origin of the name , I already found out that Majemite is an itsekiri word, it's a common name in Urhobo.

Fregene Is also another common itsekiri name in Okpe.
it is mostly the Uvwies and Okpes that bear Itsekiri names
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by godofuck231: 1:57pm On Mar 06, 2018
joyjoomla:

It's obvious this tribe hard-forked Yoruba language.

Only those into Crypto would know the meaning of hard fork.... It doesn't mean nacking punna cool

The love the ilaje showed still lives on, Olu o- suooooo
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by deji17: 2:09pm On Mar 06, 2018
These are Yoruba names. Itsekiri is definitely a branch of Yoruba

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by SoldierBoy1(m): 2:14pm On Mar 06, 2018
saintkeppy:
What's the meaning of Oritsefemi, Oritsejafor,

I bin get 1 fine babe that time for skool &her name was Tosan &My guys for Dept. back then in Skool were Abayomi &Yemi, when they told me they'all from Delta, I quickly identify them as Itsekiris &they Were suprise how i got to know.

They were part of the many warri friends I had, ready to crack ur ribs at any time. grin

It was real fun to be around them..
I be Yorùbá boy o, but I know say Oritsefemi na God loves me and Oritsejafor na God has made us to speak (like God don give us mouth now o)...... U know say some Yorubas dey use fo in place of soro to represent speak and I feel relate Oritse to Òrìṣà....... I love Itsekiris well because of how they language take close to our own..... E dey sweet me when they dey speak.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Divay22(f): 2:24pm On Mar 06, 2018
Dolor undecided
But okpe still use it... My surname
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 2:29pm On Mar 06, 2018
Divay22:
Dolor undecided But okpe still use it... My surname
oniovo mavor.. i already highlighted that.. Dolor is Okpe/Uvwie (Effurun).
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 2:31pm On Mar 06, 2018
clefstone:
Uvwie people bear Itsekiri names such as Majemite. I believe that Uvwie people don't have a common ancestry, they must have migrated to their present location from Urhobo, Okpe and Itsekiri areas

Uvwie for sure migrated from several urhobo subgroups but definitely not Itsekiri, they only married themselves.

Re u urhobo?

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Lumig: 2:37pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

Credits:
http://ngr.ng/itsekiri-names/
In short,with the above names and meaning, Itsekiris are Yorubas
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 2:40pm On Mar 06, 2018
scholes0:

Will do that.

So what does Exema mean in Edo then, and how does its meaning connect to being a gentleman? The burden of proof is on the edoids, since this name exists in Three Yoruboid groups if not more, and yet no single Edo group bears Edema as a name yet you wanna claim it comes from them.

I already told you about dialectal difference already, I don’t know how else to explain it - but take this as an example.

The name Jolomi is a Yoruboid name. BUT you will only see it in Itsekiri and certain Ondo groups. Jolo (pronounced as Jorlor) is a Yoruboid word meaning beautify, replace , replenish, repair etc... but its use has a restricted grographical scape.
Now you can tell what a name like Oritsejolomi means.

Now, if I don’t see Jolo in my Yoruba dictionary- I would be very wrong to jump into a hasty conclusion by automatically assuming that it is an Edo name.

Another example will be the Igala name Onuche, Ogwuche or Onoja - these are very apecific Igala names one might even be tempted to think the first or second one is igbo- but believe me they are proper Yoruboid names that have been accented by the Yoruboid language in question (Igala). In Yoruba the first and second one would be Olushe (Master don do am) , while the second would be Ogunshe (Juju don do am). Third one would be Oloja (village owner i.e Ruler)

I hope you are getting my point sha?

I get your point.. I think Jolomi is only answered by Itsekiri and Ilaje. Oristejolomi (Itsekiri) and Orisajolomi (Ilaje).

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? / Chidinma Or Chidimma? / Oba Of Lagos Refuses To Shake Ooni Of Ife (video)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.