Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing (23453 Views)

Fallacy Or Myths: Charging New Phone Before Use. / What Are Your Popular Smartphone Myths / Whatsapp To Stop Running On These Devices On December 31, 2017. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by shiftback: 8:41pm On Mar 06, 2018
There seems to be this mind block that don’t allow phone users of today realize how well technology has advanced especially with batteries. I want to share with you guys some of the top battery myths we still seem to believe today.

1. CHARGE YOUR BATTERY FULLY ON FIRST USE FOR HOURS
I still hear attendants in phones stores tell their customers this. Older Batteries of nickel cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries used to be stupid. They forget their full capacity which wouldn’t allow them to fully charge again. So, you’d have to charge a battery to 100% for hours on first use and let a battery discharge all the way to 0% before charging it again. That’s not the case anymore, and it hasn’t been for a long time. Smartphone’s today have lithium-ion batteries, which don’t suffer from the memory problems, lithium-ion batteries count charges differently than older batteries, so you don’t need to worry about discharging it completely or charging it to 100% on first use.

2. CHARGING YOUR BATTERY OVERNIGHT KILLS THE BATTERY LIFE
It used to be possible to ruin a battery by leaving it plugged in all the time when you plugged in your phone for long periods, older lithium-ion batteries could overheat which in turn just reduces the charge capacity and long-term life of the battery
These days, chargers and smartphones are smart enough to prevent this from happening, at 100 they will only trickle charge a battery and run the phone on an extreme low power from a charger. Just like some laptops can stay on when you remove the battery as far as the charger stays plugged in, your phones will run mainly on the charger power when your battery hits 100%.

3. CLOSING APPS TO SAVE YOUR BATTERY ONLY MAKES THINGS WORSE
I once shared this information here, but it’s still something I see a lot of people do, you pick up their phone and you will see up to 2 to 3 battery saving apps and they seem to believe it works. Please if you still have any on your phone uninstall it and don’t look back.
There was a time during the time of android 2.3 and below when app management software’s worked but thanks to development Google and other OEMS have worked hard on memory management algorithms. Most of your third party battery management software will negate the performance of these algorithms and cause more harm to your phone than good.

4. A 5000 MAH POWER BANK WILL YIELD 2 FULL CHARGES FOR A 2500MAH DEVICE
We generally believe a 2500mah battery should be fully charged twice by a 5000mah battery. The catch is the voltage at which it charges. The power rating of a power bank is calculated at 3.7 volts whereas the phone charges at 5 volts. When you connect your charger to the power bank, the Voltage is converted to 5V which automatically affects the overall power of the power bank, when power gets to the phone the power is converted back to 4.2v.
During this conversion process there is always a lot of power loss due to heat, that conversion efficiency also plays a big role on the actual capacity of the power bank.
I stumbled on a formula which can help you determined the actual the actual power of a battery but you should know when using this formula that power loss due to heat and conversion efficiency was not considered.
Actual PB capacity = ((PB capacity in mAh * 3.7) / 4.2) * 0.8

PB= power bank
0.8 = power factor

Source>> http://bbs.tecno-mobile.com/forum/general/187526-battery-myths-you-need-to-stop-believing

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Dandsome: 8:43pm On Mar 06, 2018
Make I perch here first I de come

6 Likes

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Abdstrakt(m): 8:44pm On Mar 06, 2018
I am guilty of number 3. Now I know better
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Dokun7: 8:48pm On Mar 06, 2018
Those myths are unbelievable.... I actually believed them then..... At least this post got me... Lol

19 Likes

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Ennyholar: 8:53pm On Mar 06, 2018
So true
cc lalasticlala
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by pioukul1: 8:54pm On Mar 06, 2018
Wow... This is quite insightful.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by ColdSun: 8:56pm On Mar 06, 2018
How 'bout using the phone while it's charging and when it's full but still plugged in.

7 Likes

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Kachi188(m): 9:27pm On Mar 06, 2018
DU battery saver. ..what a useless app

29 Likes

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Psoulsport(m): 9:38pm On Mar 06, 2018
Thanks for this great tips... I always tell me colleague that it's better to charge, use the phone then when it's 20% charge again... Enjoying my Tecno Camon CM ...the battery keep me days before charging again...

2 Likes

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Psoulsport(m): 9:42pm On Mar 06, 2018
ColdSun:
How 'bout using the phone while it's charging and when it's full but still plugged in.

Kills the cells of the battery....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Bamz(m): 3:58am On Mar 07, 2018
Well regardless of these myths, I think it's still important to note that battery performance will vary per user but the following are worth taking note of.

1. More background apps will definitely consume more power.

2. I think every user should avoid charging haphazardly. For example, you should have the mindset of say charging when it's below 30% (and disconnecting when it's fully charged).

(PS. Of course during emergencies or inconsistent power, this rule may not hold)

3. You can't ascertain precisely how many cycles a power bank would charge your phone unless you do a bench test, but logically more mAH capacity would give more power.

5 Likes

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by henry007(m): 4:11am On Mar 07, 2018
Information is power.

1 Like

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by xmanco42: 7:26am On Mar 07, 2018
Op am guilty of number 2 and 4

that is how I bought a power bank from one shop like that , I was so happy because it was cheap until my phone started charging the power bank

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Uruan2023: 7:27am On Mar 07, 2018
Alright, I'll stop believing.
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Nobody: 7:27am On Mar 07, 2018
Knowledge is power, learning everyday is a beautiful thang

2 Likes

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by easybussiness: 7:27am On Mar 07, 2018
good one
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 07, 2018
I am believer, I believe.
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Britishcoins(m): 7:29am On Mar 07, 2018
Please why is that whenever I charged my tecno l9 plus overnight it always switched itself off after hours of fully charged?
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Nobody: 7:31am On Mar 07, 2018
What of using your earpiece while charging the phone?
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by muhammed50(m): 7:31am On Mar 07, 2018
That last fact tho... I believe it like die

1 Like

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by just2endowed: 7:32am On Mar 07, 2018
. A 5000 MAH POWER BANK WILL YIELD 2 FULL CHARGES FOR A 2500MAH DEVICE
We generally believe a 2500mah battery should be fully charged twice by a 5000mah battery. The catch is the voltage at which it charges. The power rating of a power bank is calculated at 3.7 volts whereas the phone charges at 5 volts. When you connect your charger to the power bank, the Voltage is converted to 5V which automatically affects the overall power of the power bank, when power gets to the phone the power is converted back to 4.2v.
During this conversion process there is always a lot of power loss due to heat, that conversion efficiency also plays a big role on the actual capacity of the power bank.
I stumbled on a formula which can help you determined the actual the actual power of a battery but you should know when using this formula that power loss due to heat and conversion efficiency was not considered.
Actual PB capacity = ((PB capacity in mAh * 3.7) / 4.2) * 0.8

PB= power bank
0.8 = power factor

I always tell my customers this cheesy. Thanks op

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Nobody: 7:32am On Mar 07, 2018
That number one is not a myth.
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by visijo(m): 7:33am On Mar 07, 2018
had it been Nigeria was a Better country with steady Electricity, who will even bother about this ?
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by jashar(f): 7:33am On Mar 07, 2018
Ehen? Tell me more...
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by wassade: 7:34am On Mar 07, 2018
You are wrong about the number 2

Charger your phone over night for days and see the results. Either your phone battery drained fast or got spoil by swell up
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by ZACHIE: 7:34am On Mar 07, 2018
pioukul1:
Wow... This is quite [i]incitefu[/i]l.
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by dougivilla(m): 7:35am On Mar 07, 2018
pioukul1:
Wow... This is quite inciteful.
Lol.

Like hate speech? grin angry

7 Likes

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Emily22(m): 7:35am On Mar 07, 2018
Britishcoins:
Please why is that whenever I charged my tecno l9 plus overnight it always switched itself off after hours of fully charged?

If you chop too much,after few mins or hours,you go find somewhere to crash

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Check Out The Best 11 Smartphones That Were Released In 2017 / Is Using Your Phone While Charging Safe? / 7 Types Of Phone Users

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.