Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an (3186 Views)

Yarima Took Clerics To Jonathan To Pray For Peace / Don't Honour Invitations, Muslim Group Tells Yarima / Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by newmaster(m): 4:58am On Apr 29, 2010
Yarima: My wife is not 13
Written by Abdul-Rahman Abubakar & Akor Ojoma
Wednesday, 28 April 2010 22:59
font size: decrease font sizeincrease font size Bookmark this page Yariman Bakura Senator Ahmed Sani spoke for the first time yesterday about the controversy surrounding his alleged marriage to a minor Egyptian girl, saying his wife is not 13 years old as is being claimed by some newspapers and women groups. He spoke just as the Senate ordered an investigation into allegations he had married a minor.
Speaking to Daily Trust on telephone from Egypt, the former Zamfara State governor however declined to state his wife’s age, saying it amounts to an invasion of privacy to ask a man his wife’s age.

Alhaji Ahmed Sani said in his life, he strives hard to be entirely guided by the injunctions of the Holy Qur’an and by the traditions of the Holy Prophet Muhammad. He said, “Whatever the Qur’an and the hadith of the Holy Prophet authorise, I try my best to live up to it. Whatever they forbid, I try my best not to do it. Those are the guiding rules of my life. So if anyone decides to judge me according to rules other than those prescribed by Allah and the Holy Prophet, then he is wasting his time, because those are not my guiding principles.” The senator declined to answer further questions about his marriage, saying it is his private life.

A political associate of the ANPP senator also alleged last night that the Zamfara State government is behind what he called “the smear campaign against Yarima.” He alleged that “it is the Zamfara State government that is sponsoring the newspaper reports and the NGOs who are making noise on this matter. They think that if they can destroy Yarima’s image, they would destroy the ANPP in Zamfara State which he leads.”

The Senate’s ordering of an investigation followed the laying of a petition from the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on the floor of the Senate by Chairman of the Senate Committee on Women Affairs, Senator Eme Ufot Ekaette (PDP, Akwa Ibom).

After the petition was laid on the table, Senate President David Mark directed that the issue be investigated by the Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions to ascertain its veracity.

Senator Sani was alleged in the petition to have married a 13 year old Egyptian girl after paying a dowry of $100,000 at a marriage ceremony that took place at the National Mosque, Abuja last month.

Senator Ekaete told Daily Trust that “We have done our part and we expect that after the public hearing to be conducted by the committee we will be in a better position to take a decision on the floor of the Senate.”

Members of some women associations in the country also demonstrated at the Senate for two days calling for the immediate repatriation of the Egyptian girl as well as asking for punishment for Senator Sani.

Women Affairs and Social Development Minister Iyom Josephine Anenih said the ministry does not have full facts on Senator Ahmed Sani Yerima’s alleged marriage to a 13 year old Egyptian girl, saying till date we don’t know the name of the girl, her image and other proves concerning it and cannot act on what is still an allegation.

She said even when proven to be true some aspects of the constitution still provide a lot of stumbling blocks to the successful prosecution of the case citing section 29 sub-section 4 which she said is one of those that should be expunged.

“That is why constitution review is handy now so that we can solve all these problems,” the minister said.

http://nigeriannews.com/

Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by Roadblock: 11:51am On Apr 29, 2010
This Idiot should be made to walk around the market unclothed after which his Manhood should be chopped off.  That is what should be in his Sharia Law. How many lives has he wasted in the name of sharia. Let us even admit that the Quran says nothing is wrong marrying even a 10 years old. Dont they have heads to know what is right and proper? Of course the same reason why they wont see any big deal in killing fellow human beings in the name of Jihad.

I dont care what the guys claims, the girl is 13 , the girl is not 13,  some how there is something to clarify. Anything controversial has a bit of truth and questioning in it.
He i just an idiot. Period.

Please dont mind my tone newmaster, It just feels sick to see that in a country of millions of people , such an idiot can rise to a position to govern a state.
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by debetmx(m): 12:29pm On Apr 29, 2010
He should be stoned to death by islamic injunction for emptying the treasury of Zamfara State. Barawo and Paedoophilia
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by Olaolufred(m): 1:23pm On Apr 29, 2010
Alhaji Ahmed Sani said in his life, he strives hard to be entirely guided by the injunctions of the Holy Qur’an and by the traditions of the Holy Prophet Muhammad. He said, “Whatever the Qur’an and the hadith of the Holy Prophet authorise, I try my best to live up to it. Whatever they forbid, I try my best not to do it. Those are the guiding rules of my life. So if anyone decides to judge me according to rules other than those prescribed by Allah and the Holy Prophet, then he is wasting his time, because those are not my guiding principles.”

If Yerima is guided by Quran and Injuctions of Mohammed only, He should have been the Senator of Mosque or Saudi Arabia only.
Nigeria or the World knows the illegality of abusing a child, so that is why his Quran or Mohammed can never turns abuse to legality.
Ask whether he can give his own Ten-year old daughter in Marriage, that same mad Yerigoat will say God forbid.
This case must be well handled, He is not fit to be in senate.
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by Rheinmetal(m): 2:07pm On Apr 29, 2010
So how old is she then? Would that not be the best answer for the organisers of the smear campaign?
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 29, 2010
Something quite interesting is going on here.

Sani Yarima is telling us that his interpretation of his religion trumps the laws of the land and this man says he is a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Our lawmakers dont even believe in the laws of the land?
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by Rheinmetal(m): 2:18pm On Apr 29, 2010
^^^ Maybe not our lawmakers, but Yerima has not hidden his preference for sharia law over our constitution.
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by Nobody: 2:27pm On Apr 29, 2010
Rheinmetal:

^^^ Maybe not our lawmakers, but Yerima has not hidden his preference for sharia law over our constitution.

This man just told the Nation that he does not believe in the laws of the land.

That is ok if he is an Imam in Gusau, but sitting in the hallowed chambers he has to respect the laws of the land or quit as a Senator.
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by Rheinmetal(m): 2:34pm On Apr 29, 2010
^^ how many of the so-called honourables senators huddling in their so-called hallowed chambers do? Is Joy Emordi still not sitting in her stolen senate seat. Yerima is in good company, as painful as it is to admit that.
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by Nobody: 2:39pm On Apr 29, 2010
joy emordi appealed her ouster and so the status quo remains until that appeal court decides.

what sani is doing is placing priority on his religion over the federal constitution.

there is an emerging trend here. We have laws that nobody obeys. When people find themselves cornered they play to the worst of sentiments.
Sani Yarima is simply acting out Yar'adua.

If the laws of the land does not mean anything to anybody then lets discard it.
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by Rheinmetal(m): 2:46pm On Apr 29, 2010
Joy Emordi is before the Appeal Court asking it to interprete its clear decision or at best reverse itself. The status quo in this case is that the court declared her election invalidated. It is a clear depature from her previous case, where the court ruled in her favour on technicalities. In the instant case her matter has been determined by the highest appellate court on electoral matters. She's just buying time,
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by Rheinmetal(m): 2:50pm On Apr 29, 2010
Joy Emordi is before the Appeal Court asking it to interprete its clear decision or at best reverse itself. The status quo in this case is that the court declared her election invalidated. It is a clear depature from her previous case, where the court ruled in her favour on technicalities. In the instant case her matter has been determined by the highest appellate court on electoral matters. She's just buying time,

The fact is that Sharia Law operates alongside the Constitution in some Northern States. The lacuna in the Constitution that is being exploited for this anomaly must be amended, or else Yerima and cohorts will always have their hideout
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by isimili: 3:30pm On Apr 29, 2010
I have just read section 29(4) of the Constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria 1999 and regret to say that unless the minsiter for women affairs has any information which confirms that the girl is 18, then her reference to that section and reliance of the Senate or House of Reps to avoid absolute and collective condemnation of yarima's conduct, amounts to a monuemental misconstruction of our constitution. Althoough i am aware that as Obasanjo said, these reps are entitled to have advisers but are not under a duty to accept or act on their advice, i think that the honourable minister should have sought the advice and guidance of her legal adviser before making any such statement. clearly her comments has approbated yarima's unlawful act.
For the avoidance of doubt Section 29(4) states as follows: "for the purposes of subsection 91) of this section (a) "full age" means age of 18 and above (b) any woman who is married should be deemed to be of that age. In my opinion, the use of the words married and deemed are ambigouous but must not be a problem as the senate has a duty to give it a purposeful interpretation and pronounce the age of marriage to be 18 in accordance with common sense and our constitution. (reference to "this section" relates to subsection 1 of section 29).
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by isimili: 3:34pm On Apr 29, 2010
In addition to my earlier post, yarimas reference to the quaran amounts to sinning and abusing a child in the name of Allah. Can we all just condemn this act. It could be our sisters and daughters tomorrow and if we do nothing very soon some of these crazy self styled politicians will begin to take suckling babies from their mums.
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by desthan(m): 5:53pm On Apr 29, 2010
I really condemn this dastardly act but lets face the truth, the family of this child, by that i mean the father and mother should be held responsible for this rubbish. Yerima is who he is ''a bloody gay'', but the parents for the love of their daughter would have simply said ''erh! mr senator, we are sorry we cannot help you here, please try next door'', rather they collected the money and even when the ceremony could be conducted in egypt, they agreed to flown down to 9ja, the global dump site to commit this sacrilegious act, c'mon this is just gross. The parent would have protected their daughter afterall yerima didnt take her on gun point, he sought for and obtained the parent's consent before going on.

@isimili. . . in answering your question, if she were my daughter, i would say No, Thank you. Period

just my take.
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by Ibime(m): 7:36pm On Apr 29, 2010
Yarima: My wife is not 13. . .

I am sure he is currently working on her passport. . . like our footballers who are 35 years old, but their passport says 25.
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by MeAboki(m): 8:23pm On Apr 29, 2010
isimili:

In addition to my earlier post, yarimas reference to the quaran amounts to sinning and abusing a child in the name of Allah.

FYI, if Yerima were a christian and was at the Vatican, the reknown nation and head quarter of christianity, he would most probably have had the blessing of the Pope for his actions; considering the fact that the age of sexual consent is only 12 at the Vatican(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe ).

Accordingly, Yerima's alleged bride at 13 is even over aged for the Vatican.
As for child abuse, need I have to say catholic priests and the Pope (for covering up for them)?
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by MaiSuya(m): 9:12pm On Apr 29, 2010
Me_Aboki:

FYI, if Yerima were a christian and was at the Vatican, the reknown nation and head quarter of christianity, he would most probably have had the blessing of the Pope for his actions; considering the fact that the age of sexual consent is only 12 at the Vatican(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe ).

As for child abuse, need I have to say catholic priests and the Pope (for covering up for them)?

Really wish I could get your point. Are you trying to justify his act? If affirmative then its unfortunate.

What the man has done - 'alleged' if you like - is barbaric, sinful, shameful and should be condemned by all of humanity!! angry
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by illusion2: 9:36pm On Apr 29, 2010
Me_Aboki:

What has age of consent at the vatican got to do with a senator of the Nigerian federation marrying a 13 year old egyptian. ? undecided

The fact that he can even open his mouth & say "my wife". . . is absolutely disgusting !!
Re: Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an by Nobody: 10:41pm On Apr 29, 2010
OGA YERIMA PRACTICALLY WE DONT GIVE A RAT'S BALLS IF YOU MARRY A 2 YEAR OLD KID, YOU AND YOUR COLLEAGUES HAVE DONE WORSE THINGS THAN THAT,
SO CUT THE BULLSHIT,

(1) (Reply)

Arik Begins Direct Flight To America / 4 years: What Wrong With You People, Bridges Built By Ondo State Govt / Fact-check: Government Arresting And Jailing Street Beggars Is Common Trend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.