Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy (5561 Views)

Opinion: How Comedian A.Y Should Tackle The 30 Days In Atlanta Piracy. / Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? / What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 2:04am On Apr 10, 2007
Grabbing a VCD via analogue would not result in lower quality. Isn't TV analogue quality superior to VCD?
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by dblock(m): 2:44am On Apr 10, 2007
To curb piracy you have to deal with or create.

[list]
[li]The distribution of DVD/VCD decrypters(Not going to happen)[/li]

[li]Create DVDs that cannot be burnt or duplicated by any decrypter/burner(Not going to happen)[/li]

[li]Sue LimeWire and win (Not going to happen)[/li]

[li]Get rid of Youtube(not going to happen, the video host wasn't created to support piracy)[/li]

[li]Make all DVD files read only(Possible)[/li]

[li]Install chips into DVDs that alert the police if a DVD is about to be burnt(Not going to happen for another hundred years)[/li]

[li]Ban DVD recorders(They come with a built in Hard drive and TV tuner) Pirates can Record Live TV transfer it to a computer and distribute the content for Good money[/li]
[/list]

Piracy is not fueled by poverty. There are more illegal DVD stores in Indonesia than the whole of Africa, Software, Cds, DVDs are being pirated on every continent, because it is simply an easier and more efficient way of obtaining software/DVDs etc. Why pay for something if you don't have to. I mean without Piracy Rich people will be living in Golden houses, but thanks to piracy they are just living in Silver houses. Piracy balances the system.

Most people think that they don't pirate, but they do
Softlifting is also a crime( Borrowing your friend your new Vista Operating system, If it is single licensed is also a form of Copyright Infringement)
Taking a DVD to watch with a crowd of people Via Digital projection for a Picnic, Is also a form of Copyright Infringement

Software pirates like Myself(My ojukor Kankanfor) will remain 10steps ahead of the Law, for at least another 10 years. I Pirate because, Software infringement highlights the weakness of the "System", it is a good feeling, knowing that you have conquered an Hurdle

For more details contact me, I live in Jenson Avenue willyville. The I.P address that I use is from a library, so I'll probably be there too. Remember My name is Ojukor Kakanfor.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 3:06am On Apr 10, 2007
Just pray to your god that law enforcement officials don't read forums. wink
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by dblock(m): 3:16am On Apr 10, 2007
I'll just deny it. wink
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 1:44pm On Apr 23, 2007
Hehe. Anyway, I guess I made my point. Movie producers don't need new laws, they just need lawyers.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by dakmanzero(m): 1:32pm On Apr 28, 2007
seun, you are wrong

analogue transfers always cause signal degradation

the electronics of the capture device will introduce noise that degrades the signal.

plus a tv cannot display a higher quality than its source. true, tv has a higher res than vcd (on progressive), but it cannot introduce information that wasnt there to start with

low quality sourtce + high res display = low quality display
ANY display + analoue capture = degraded display

when you force people to use analogue transfer you have won half the battle because the copies will be of lower quality.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 2:43am On May 14, 2007
My point is that those degradations are imperceptible if the final medium is VCD. They won't be noticed.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by dakmanzero(m): 10:56am On May 14, 2007
Yes they will.

This goes beyond theory. Do it yourself and see.

Easy experiment: use windows sound recorder to capture a WAV file from an MP3 on your IPOD connected to MIC input, then recompress to MP3. Tell me whether the difference is imperceptible.

Not so easy experiment: Get yourself a lightwave video capture card from ikeja (phillips internal electronics- vey high quality) and dump 5 minutes of your favourite DVD to a gigantic AVI file via monster composite cable (available at numetro/palms) then compress to VCD video via SUPER (google for it and download, erightsoft, uses ffmpeg and mencoder, best quality out there).

Tell me you dont see any difference and I can recommend an excellent optician.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 11:48am On Nov 08, 2007
I was either incredibly drunk, arrogant, or just trying to get some attention for my idea when I posted this. Very funny. cheesy
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by romeo(m): 11:33pm On Nov 08, 2007
how can you stop piracy? digital piracy is what is killing the so called industry and digital pirates are getting smarter daily.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 8:03am On Nov 09, 2007
Digital piracy is not very important in the absence of cheap broadband. Physical piracy is much more appealing.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by romeo(m): 5:04pm On Nov 09, 2007
You mean in Nigeria? because internet is sooooooo cheap here and i am not even paying for mine ( i love wifi)
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Seun(m): 8:27pm On Nov 09, 2007
Yes o. I mean in Nigeria. It takes almost a day to download one episode of a sitcom. How many hours of browsing does that translate to? Yet at the same time you can buy a pirated season DVD (24 episodes) for 400 naira.
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by tholuosa2: 2:54pm On Mar 24, 2009
Having read through all the suggestions and ideas, I can conclude that we all see Piracy as a problem, we will not tarry long on this problem , a solution is around the corner, WATCH OUT!!!!!
Re: I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy by Buike8: 10:05pm On Jul 12, 2015
in my own view, I think d govt has a large role to play in stopping piracy. Govt could through some agencies encourage film producers to set up a film producers' association where all film makers all over the country would be given a certificate or warrant,this will serve as proof of being a filmmaker. And what would be the implication of this?? Dis warrant will exempt filmmakers who would import CDs for dere various films from paying a high tar riff on imported discs. In other words,since discs are imported, govt can increase the tariff on imported disc and other tools used 4 pirating discs by non-filmmakers by as high as 300%. dis will make d cost of pirating discs unbearable for pirates and also make d price of pirated films to be higher than the original ones.Hence,piracy will be discouraged.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Have You Guys Seen 'Wetin Dey' TV Show? / [videos]japanese TV Show Where Men Sing Karaoke While Given Handjob On Live TV / Who Is The Best Iptv Provider In 2020?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.