Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,236 members, 7,811,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:41 PM

Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG (14354 Views)

My Experience Teaching In Zaria / Instagram Slay Queen Spotted Teaching In A Secondary School In Delta (Photos) / Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Uruan2023: 12:43pm On Mar 09, 2018
Na WA o

Naija Which way?

These kinda policies won't give us steady power supply nau

Buhari must go!

PS: no be hate speech abeg, before dem reason how to tie my neck suspend for air. sad
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Nobody: 12:43pm On Mar 09, 2018
anibirelawal:

Learning is a gradual process... you know what you learn, you were not born with knowledge, you seek for it.

Oga i'm versed in sciences and our local dialects. In chemistry alone, we have roughly 2 million words with no native interpretation for these words. Will you create interpretations for these words? Rather than go back, should we not be matching forward? Tell me of what use will this be when people graduate? The ones that learnt in english a language they understand are still mediocres, you want to now worsen the situation. Phew

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by mrkunlex(m): 12:43pm On Mar 09, 2018
willzx:
Its too late... this would have worked in the 60s, 70s... now we are ALL English... local language is dying and will die. Serious. Its English all the way...

What value do you get speaking your language... only to your parents and siblings... you can't speak in at work, unless you work in a local place... lol...
we need to promote our languages.i am a yoruba man nd nothing cn stop me from speaking my language which is yoruba.#omo karo ojire
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Nobody: 12:44pm On Mar 09, 2018
Wasting ideas & time..
The ones we have learned in English what have we done with it, so fg pain is diversifying into traditional method of teaching.. Imagine my son comes back from school and said he was taughtmaths/English in izon, yoruba, Igbo etc language
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Adebowale89(m): 12:44pm On Mar 09, 2018
DrObum:
No be indigenious language those SW teachers dey use teach everything including english language

So, how's this news?

perhaps you grown up in Lagos, native Igbo lang is what they used in most Anambra private sch even the principal I worked with then will be warning the students to stop speaking vernacular in Igbo language. no sw private sch tolerate that, and I can say it boldly that the public sch I went to, I was taught in English lang thru out except Yoruba lang

so what's your point man?
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Nobody: 12:45pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrkunlex:
we need to promote our languages.i am a yoruba man nd nothing cn stop me from speaking my language which is yoruba.#omo karo ojire

Language promotion is already in our curricula, every school practices Wednesday as our national day, we havelocal languages what more? You want to force it down people's throats?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by greatcrown: 12:47pm On Mar 09, 2018
Confusion at it's peak!

This is what you have when the president surrounds himself with people with no track records. Everything is trial and error!
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by mrkunlex(m): 12:47pm On Mar 09, 2018
pantherblack:

Oga i'm versed in sciences and our local dialects. In chemistry alone, we have roughly 2 million words with no native interpretation for these words. Will you create interpretations for these words? Rather than go back, should we not be matching forward? Tell me of what use will this be when people graduate? The ones that learnt in english a language they understand are still mediocres, you want to now worsen the situation. Phew
yeah it is true,it need a thorough research.physcis and chemistry is too hard to interprete in our local dialects.who can tell me the meaning of tetraoxosulphate(vi)acid in yoruba

1 Like

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by luckydion(m): 12:48pm On Mar 09, 2018
No seriousness here.....

english language has dominated most vernacular in over schools....
this prbm hasn't been retired ..... here You talk math... hmmmmm!!
na you know where u dream this

or which country you talk.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by uuzba(m): 12:49pm On Mar 09, 2018
anibirelawal:
OUR LANGUAGE, OUR PRIDE!

Your pride, your kingdom.
We only use English in Nigeria because this is a uniting language.

Without English, there is nothing uniting us. You may gain great knowledge in your own local language but your understanding is useless to the other guy who does not speak it.

You will create even more conflict than we have now. And people will generally move back to their villages. We can no longer share a common currency...

Basically.. Nigeria will come to an end without English.

1 Like

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Michael004: 12:49pm On Mar 09, 2018
willzx:
Its too late... this would have worked in the 60s, 70s... now we are ALL English... local language is dying and will die. Serious. Its English all the way...

What value do you get speaking your language... only to your parents and siblings... you can't speak in at work, unless you work in a local place... lol...
I will advise you learn in your native language so that you that know the difference between 'its' and 'it's' better.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by anibirelawal(m): 12:49pm On Mar 09, 2018
pantherblack:

Teaching in local languages will not affects the original terminolgy used in each subjects, rather it will create atmosphere of better understanding.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Jabioro: 12:49pm On Mar 09, 2018
They should stop all these frivolous inclusions.Abi how would describe kinetic energz,quadractic equatn,H02,Matrix graph,exponent,obtuse angle,logarith antlog sine consine tan alfa for me Yoruba..leave that thing bros
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by plaetton: 12:50pm On Mar 09, 2018
Stuuuupid prehistoric idiots in government coming up with stuuuupid prehistoric ideas.
These fools labor to reinvent the wheel.

Nigeria doesn't even have enough teachers of basic science in basic English, let alone in in local languages.

And by the way, considering that we have 250 indigenous languages in Nigeria, are going to attempt to teach science in 250 different languages ?

Garbage in government = garbage ideas out.

1 Like

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Nobody: 12:52pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrkunlex:
yeah it is true,it need a thorough research.physcis and chemistry is too hard to interprete in our local dialects.who can tell me the meaning of tetraoxosulphate(vi)acid in yoruba

help me ask them o.

they should tell me the meaning of surd, atomic energy, proton, neutron, nuclei, probability, statistics, intersect, methane, ph level in any nigerian dialect and i will kip wayet

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by shankara7: 12:52pm On Mar 09, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Work places will now have to use politics to chose language of communication.
Hausa language is the "official language" of NNPC Abuja and the Villa..
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by senchris(m): 12:53pm On Mar 09, 2018
nairavsdollars:
X raised to power Y. How can you say that in Indigenous language?

That is a small thing nah, in Igbo...

X e buliri na ike nke Y.

Just imagine...This stupid regime will really go down as wasted years in the development of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by anibirelawal(m): 12:53pm On Mar 09, 2018
uuzba:

Your pride, your kingdom.
We only use English in Nigeria because this is a uniting language.

Without English, there is nothing uniting us. You may gain grey knowledge on your own local language but your understanding is useless to the other guy who does not speak it.

You will create even more conflict than we have now. And people will generally move back to their villages. We can no longer share a common currency...

Basically.. Nigeria will come to an end without English.

Were you born as a English man? if not, its not a crime to know how to speaks more than a language.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 09, 2018
anibirelawal:

Teaching in local languages will not affects the original terminolgy used in each subjects, rather it will create atmosphere of better understanding.

I work as a full time editor and have worked with over 120 Nigerians in the past 18 months, see out of the 120 i worked with, not more than 3 impressed me as intelligent minds, though not even geniuses self, they were just there, the remaining 117 could barely put ideas together and convey them in english, what happens when we stretch tins further and demand interpretation in local dialect that would necessitate more mental activity? tell me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Paradigm777: 12:55pm On Mar 09, 2018
ALAYORMII:
Who are those that are going to teach it??

Science class will be like

Ti e ba mu hydrogen pelu oxygen papo a fun yin ni omi
grin grin grin kukuma Kee mi[center] cheesy cheesy
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by CodeTemplar: 12:56pm On Mar 09, 2018
shankara7:
Hausa language is the "official language" of NNPC Abuja and the Villa.. Are these local places?
No, they are intercontinental languages.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Jabioro: 12:57pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrkunlex:
l'm a Yoruba too,the language can only be teach as a literary nt for subject/like science,.how would you translate right angle or matrix,permutatn..
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Nobody: 1:01pm On Mar 09, 2018
pantherblack:

Not you again?

Oya teach me surds, algebraic expression, probability with yoruba i'm all ears

Teach me atomic physics in igbo

or Organic chemistry in Yoruba

Are there terms for alkanes, alkene, alkynes, sets, in our local dialect?

We should move forward and not backward for God's sakes. If it's not enough to make fulani invaders kill people anyhow, this administration wants to take this country back to the stone ages. Phew, even Modern day Chinese many are shying from theirnative language.
dont be foolish. China and co use dia indigenous langs

1 Like

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by anibirelawal(m): 1:02pm On Mar 09, 2018
pantherblack:

I work as a full time editor and have worked with over 120 Nigerians in the past 18 months, see out of the 120 i worked with, not more than 3 impressed me as intelligent minds, though not even geniuses self, they were just there, the remaining 117 could barely put ideas together and convey them in english, what happens when we stretch tins further and demand interpretation in local dialect that would necessitate more mental activity? tell me

You maybe right, but that shouldnt stop students from learning in local languages.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by mrkunlex(m): 1:04pm On Mar 09, 2018
i cnt stop laughing when i hear teachers telling their students to stop speaking vernacular
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by mrkunlex(m): 1:05pm On Mar 09, 2018
anibirelawal:

You maybe right, but that shouldnt stop students from learning in local languages.
yeah
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by mrkunlex(m): 1:07pm On Mar 09, 2018
Jabioro:
l'm a Yoruba too,the language can only be teach as a literary nt for subject/like science,.how would you translate right angle or matrix,permutatn..
let us be watching our government.i pray billions of dollar should not be wasted because of interpreting
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Nobody: 1:08pm On Mar 09, 2018
ricktnum:
dont be foolish. China and co use dia indigenous langs

"Foolish"

Smh.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by slowice(m): 1:09pm On Mar 09, 2018
They want to start something that they can't finish.... Political gra gra
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Nobody: 1:09pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrkunlex:
let us be watching our government.i pray billions of dollar should not be wasted because of interpreting

$ 1 Billion on boko haram waste

$ 5 Billion on Ajaokuta wasted, now been put up for concessioning

over $15 wasted on refineries over the past 16 years

Power, over $16

Crude oil research in North over 120 Billion alone in the past 3 years wasted

Now, what have these guys ever started and finished?
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by MrsMusty(f): 1:09pm On Mar 09, 2018
Now I can see they have nothing to offer, just throwing us stupid things to distract us.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kogi State University SUG Organises Massive Protest On April 26th / Rsust Admission List / JAMB To Enforce Provision Of O-Level Results Before Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.