Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,201 members, 7,811,539 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG (14353 Views)

My Experience Teaching In Zaria / Instagram Slay Queen Spotted Teaching In A Secondary School In Delta (Photos) / Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by NairaMaster1(m): 8:26pm On Mar 09, 2018
willzx:
Its too late... this would have worked in the 60s, 70s... now we are ALL English... local language is dying and will die. Serious. Its English all the way...

What value do you get speaking your language... only to your parents and siblings... you can't speak in at work, unless you work in a local place... lol...

Indomie child go and learn your language. Inferiority complex. When you go to China, Japan, Korea et al you learn their language. Be proud of your language.

2 Likes

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by NairaMaster1(m): 8:26pm On Mar 09, 2018
willzx:
Its too late... this would have worked in the 60s, 70s... now we are ALL English... local language is dying and will die. Serious. Its English all the way...

What value do you get speaking your language... only to your parents and siblings... you can't speak in at work, unless you work in a local place... lol...

Indomie child, go and learn your language. Inferiority complex. When you go to China, Japan, Korea et al you learn their language. Be proud of your language.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by studyinpidgin: 8:27pm On Mar 09, 2018
pantherblack:

Not you again?

Oya teach me surds, algebraic expression, probability with yoruba i'm all ears

Teach me atomic physics in igbo

or Organic chemistry in Yoruba

Are there terms for alkanes, alkene, alkynes, sets, in our local dialect?

We should move forward and not backward for God's sakes. If it's not enough to make fulani invaders kill people anyhow, this administration wants to take this country back to the stone ages. Phew, even Modern day Chinese many are shying from theirnative language.

I don't know about other languages. But teaching in pidgin breaks complex things English would not and even puts humour into it. Just as you would enjoy a joke cracked in Pidgin than one in English. Check out this tutorial teaching double entry (Accounting) in Pidgin for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggMimYcRFc&feature=youtu.be

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by studyinpidgin: 8:37pm On Mar 09, 2018
uuzba:

Your pride, your kingdom.
We only use English in Nigeria because this is a uniting language.

Without English, there is nothing uniting us. You may gain great knowledge in your own local language but your understanding is useless to the other guy who does not speak it.

You will create even more conflict than we have now. And people will generally move back to their villages. We can no longer share a common currency...

Basically.. Nigeria will come to an end without English.

I would say Pidgin unites us more than English.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by BarristerAlarig: 10:44pm On Mar 09, 2018
This country is just doomed!!! Even with Nigeria being an *English speaking country*, Nigerians intending to study or migrant abroad are made to sit and pass English language proficiency exams!! Now if this bill(or whatever it is) is passed, I am certain that the UK,USA,CANADA,AUSTRALIA, ZEALAND and several English taught programmes in Europe/Asia will request a IELTS SCORE OF 8.0 or equivalent for admission into there universities and 9.0 for immigration purposes.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by okomogo(m): 10:48pm On Mar 09, 2018
India adopted this method long time ago and today, they can boast of the best in many areas of science and technology. How can I learn a language in order to learn another subject , it's not as good as teaching me everything in my language while I learn English too as a language just for communication and not to learn another subject with it.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by BarristerAlarig: 11:05pm On Mar 09, 2018
[quote author=SIRTee15 post=65693038]

What u wrote up there validate the reason why people should be trained in the language they are familiar and comfortable with....
Very few Nigerians can fully articulate and express their thoughts in english without interjection of local language....
And that's because they don't fully think in english....
A child is best trained in a language he/she thinks....
A child's thought process cannot be in one language and yet u are teaching the child in another language....
It makes understanding and assimilation difficult....
And this is the main reason Nigerians find it difficult to connect with their environment and exploit its potential....
I just don't understand the ignorance being displayed on this thread....
My father didn't learn mathematics in school but ISIRO...
yes, he was taught maths in Yoruba in primary school....
Yet he came out with 2.1 in maths and chemistry from U.I.....
His basic understanding of maths is exemplary....
And he's among few who can fully express himself in both Yoruba and english independent of each other....
Forget all the science terminologies....
Teach maths and basic science in local language and watch how the knowledge base among students expand and students becomes more innovative, creative and curious by default.....
Every year WAEC/NECO result has been woeful despite teaching in english language....
So what's the big deal about the language......
I'll come back to advocate why MATHS MOST ESPECIALLY should be taught in LOCAL LANGUAGE....[/quote

This response is foul!!! After teaching students in our local languages, I beg to ask, how will they will fare in external examinations Or would WAEC and UTME exams also be conducted in the said languages?? Why instruct students in a language that isn't the official language?? Imagine a Warrior boy whose parents speaks Urhobo language at home, gets taught in Yoruba language seeing as he lives and schools in Lagos and is somehow expected to perform well in Exams given with English being the language of instruction (or in this class,language of writing) or possess a high written/spoken command of the English language?? It is simply unreasonably and hardly doable.

1 Like

Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by BarristerAlarig: 11:12pm On Mar 09, 2018
okomogo:
India adopted this method long time ago and today, they can boast of the best in many areas of science and technology. How can I learn a language in order to learn another subject , it's not as good as teaching me everything in my language while I learn English too as a language just for communication and not to learn another subject with it.

Please, don't be silly!!! India had a unifying language, Nigeria don't. Only my state has more than 15 different languages!!! So how would this nonsense work Moreover, why teach a child with one of our local languages and except him/her to speak and write impeccable English when he/her graduates
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by R0LL0N(m): 2:08am On Mar 10, 2018
nairavsdollars:
X raised to power Y. How can you say that in Indigenous language?
Alufabeti X fagbara GBE Alufabeti Y soke
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Nobody: 4:24am On Mar 10, 2018
Who thinks up these foolish ideas? By the time a typical student gets to university, he will not be able to switch adequately to understanding technical terminology in English. So they will either be forced to teach in indigenous languages in the university, or would have to reduce the academic standards to the level where the students can understand what is being taught. Either way, this will only further reduce the already not-so-high standards of graduates from Nigerian universities, and make them totally, instead of partially, unemployable.
As for getting university admission abroad after this bill, forget it.
Also, what happens to minorities like Berom or Itsekiri, or languages with sub dialects like Ekiti or Ijebu Yoruba. Are these going to be encouraged to disappear in favour of the big 3?
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by omoelerin1: 5:45am On Mar 10, 2018
uuzba:

Your pride, your kingdom.
We only use English in Nigeria because this is a uniting language.

Without English, there is nothing uniting us. You may gain great knowledge in your own local language but your understanding is useless to the other guy who does not speak it.

You will create even more conflict than we have now. And people will generally move back to their villages. We can no longer share a common currency...

Basically.. Nigeria will come to an end without English.
Gibberish.

So those Chinese and Japanese that don't speak English, the knowledge and understanding they have are useless when they come to Nigeria?

You must be an Igbo. It is only them that are feeling threatened and insecure whenever issue like this is raised. Why? Igbo language is not speakable. Even to offer prayer to God in Igbo is a difficult thing. Little wonder, Igbo translation of Holy Bible is not as common as Yoruba version.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by omoelerin1: 5:54am On Mar 10, 2018
plaetton:
Stuuuupid prehistoric idiots in government coming up with stuuuupid prehistoric ideas.
These fools labor to reinvent the wheel.

Nigeria doesn't even have enough teachers of basic science in basic English, let alone in in local languages.

And by the way, considering that we have 250 indigenous languages in Nigeria, are going to attempt to teach science in 250 different languages ?

Garbage in government = garbage ideas out.
Please, what is the meaning of prehistoric idea?

What has using a particular language to teach in school got to do with prehistory?

You're trying to sound as someone who has become more civilised, all the same, you're an ignorant.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by omoelerin1: 6:11am On Mar 10, 2018
pantherblack:

help me ask them o.

they should tell me the meaning of surd, atomic energy, proton, neutron, nuclei, probability, statistics, intersect, methane, ph level in any nigerian dialect and i will kip wayet
Just wait.
You will soon hear it when they finish the translation.
They know more than you. The initiators must have had though on those issues that are giving you concern before coming up on the idea.

The name, atomic energy, proton, methane were not natural name or brought from heaven, but were named by somebody, sometime. So what is the big deal?

Wetin you know self.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by omoelerin1: 6:24am On Mar 10, 2018
shankara7:
Hausa language is the "official language" of NNPC Abuja and the Villa..
What were your leaders and representatives (After all, you have people there) at NNPC, Abuja and villa doing when Hausa was being imposed on them as official language? Were they sleeping or chased out when Hausa people wanted to make that decision?
Did they just decide to be bench warmers or chose to be Hausa puppets?
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by princeloba: 6:35am On Mar 10, 2018
according to formal minister of education prof. bab fafunwa, "child immediate environment language should be a medium of instructions in elementary school" the idea may not work for teaching science subjects in secondary schools, apart from translation of terminologies. most of the children in city like Lagos cannot speak any other language apart from English.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by omoelerin1: 6:44am On Mar 10, 2018
asksteve:
Its always very interesting wen leaders are clueless as to how to move the country forward.
Imagine, teaching in our dialects, guess WAEC n JAMB will also be written in our dialects, including post utme.
Then lecturers will also lecture in our dialects and after u graduate u use ur dialect during NYSC n to work, invariably everyone will remain within areas their dialects are spoken.
Now how will the assembly members and other public officers communicate after the current generation that communicate with English pass on?
I can see the FG has really thought this one out.
Bunch of clowns.
You are only displaying ignorance here.
Does it mean we will not be able to speak and understand English any more.

Even, if we start receiving lectures in our local language, that does not stop us from functioning.

Many doctors in India where many Nigerians go for treatment, do not understand English. It means they were not taught in English when in school.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by asksteve(m): 3:58pm On Mar 10, 2018
omoelerin1:
You are only displaying ignorance here.
Does it mean we will not be able to speak and understand English any more.

Even, if we start receiving lectures in our local language, that does not stop us from functioning.

Many doctors in India where many Nigerians go for treatment, do not understand English. It means they were not taught in English when in school.

Btw d 2 of us who is displaying ignorance?
Presently, English is used in teaching from primary tru tertiary and still more than half cannot express themselves in same English, not even the university graduates.
Wen I say graduates I mean it cos I've kriss crossed this country from north to south n its same, only the north is worse.
So if this new found wisdom which u've bought into is implemented then u can imagine how many will understand not to talk of speak it in abt twenty years.
Bottom line, analyse issues well b4 terming it ignorance.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by okomogo(m): 11:14pm On Mar 19, 2018
BarristerAlarig:

Please, don't be silly!!! India had a unifying language, Nigeria don't. Only my state has more than 15 different languages!!! So how would this nonsense work Moreover, why teach a child with one of our local languages and except him/her to speak and write impeccable English when he/her graduates
Bros we don't have to speak impeccable English to know what needs to be done technologically. Japan, Germany, China don't speak English yet they are developed. If you want to learn English language that's not bad but shouldn't have been the medium for teaching in our schools. On India my dear, I leaved there for years and I can tell you the so called unifying language is not spoken by some states in the South . The government was efficient and effective so they adopted the local language first and then the Hindi and English language are thought using the primary language.
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by Proverbalizer: 3:05am On Mar 20, 2018
there could be so many practical problems with this plan...It's definitely easier said than done...

However, it is SAD, to see most people AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME that it is IMPOSSIBLE to learn Math and Science in a language other than English. Japan is one of the most educationally and technologically advanced countries in the world... I wonder what language their students learn in... did they let the fact that "atomic energy, proton, neutron, nuclei, probability, statistics, intersect, methane, ph level etc" are not Japanese words become an insurmountable stumbling block?

If you people are not careful your children's children will be forced to learn everything in Chinese anyway...
and Oyinbo people will be making millions selling books / giving lectures attempting to explain the meanings of 'Ase', 'Ori', and 'Chi'
Re: Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG by jameswhatson: 6:55am On May 08, 2018
All over the world everything about science and technology is always hard to sell because you need to convince people. Nigerians are good researchers, but they lack something.

Showbox for windows 7 - Showbox has proven its capability in the entertainment category and has earned a strong userbase around the world. Being Android only application, you cannot directly use Showbox on your PC.

https://showboxbuzz.com/showbox-for-windows-pc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kogi State University SUG Organises Massive Protest On April 26th / Rsust Admission List / JAMB To Enforce Provision Of O-Level Results Before Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.