Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe (35199 Views)

Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) / Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by marenx: 6:34pm On Mar 10, 2018
The following are 14 quotes from Chinua Achebe's 'Things Fall Apart'.

1. He saw himself and his fathers crowding round their ancestral shrine waiting in vain for worship and sacrifice and finding nothing but ashes of bygone days.

2. "Thank you. He who brings kola brings life. But I think you ought to break it," replied Okoye passing back the disc.
"No, it is for you, I think," and they argued like this for a few moments before Unoka accepted the honor of breaking the kola. Okoye, meanwhile, took the lump of chalk, drew some lines on the floor, and then painted his big toe.

3. Unoka went into an inner room and soon returned with a small wooden disc containing a kola nut, some alligator pepper and a lump of white chalk.

4. Ogbuef Ezedudu, who was the oldest man in the village, was telling two other men when they came to visit him that the punishment for breaking the Peace of Ani had become very mild in their clan.

5. You think you are the greatest sufferer in the world? Do you know that men are sometimes banished for life? Do you know that men sometimes lose all their yams and even their children? I had six wives once. I have none now except that young girl who knows not her right from her left. Do you know how many children I have buried—children I begot in my youth and strength? Twenty-two. I did not hang myself, and I am still alive.

6. Eneke the bird says that since men have learned to shoot without missing, he has learned to fly without perching.

7. If you had been poor in your last life I would have asked you to be rich when you come again. But you were rich. If you had been a coward, I would have asked you to bring courage. But you were a fearless warrior. If you had died young, I would have asked you to get life. But you lived long. So I shall ask you to come again the way you came before.

8. There was a saying in Umuofia that as a man danced so the drums were beaten for him.

9. “That cannot be,” said Machi. “You might as well say that the woman lies on top of the man when they are making the babies.

10. The world is large,” said Okonkwo. “I have even heard that in some tribes a man’s children belong to his wife and her family.”

11. At the most one could say that his chi or ... personal god was good. But the Ibo people have a proverb that when a man says yes his chi says yes also. Okonkwo said yes very strongly; so his chi agreed.

12. [...] had asked Ear to marry him, whereupon Ear fell on the floor in uncontrollable laughter. "How much longer do you think you will live?" she asked. "You are already a skeleton." Mosquito went away humiliated, and any time he passed her way he told Ear that he was still alive.

13. You do not know me,’ said Tortoise. ‘I am a changed man. I have learned that a man who makes trouble for others makes trouble for himself.

14. It always surprised him when he thought of it later that he did not sink under the load of despair.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Cutehector(m): 7:00pm On Mar 10, 2018
I just loved that novel series.

4 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by souloho19(m): 9:18pm On Mar 10, 2018
6. Eneke the bird says that since men have learned to shoot without missing, he has learned to fly without perching.

Op what about 'a lizard that falls from a palm tree would congratulate himself if no one does' something like that

24 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by youngsahito(m): 10:31pm On Mar 10, 2018
Achebe is Nigeria greatest author...

74 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Obainoneandonly(m): 10:36pm On Mar 10, 2018
"things fall apart"' the greatest novel ever written by an African author

82 Likes 1 Share

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:56am On Mar 11, 2018
One of the few good men we have in this country....

RIP Papa.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Lighthouseman: 6:57am On Mar 11, 2018
Ok
The sun will shine on those standing before on those sitting.
When our education was good. The book was used by literature students but why they stopped, I don't know.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Olukokosir(m): 6:57am On Mar 11, 2018
Dz r quotes. Not d ones posted by one OP yesterday listing 10quotes by Osinbanjo

Api Sunday fellas

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:58am On Mar 11, 2018
7. If you had been poor in your last life I would have asked you to be rich when you come again. But you were rich. If you had been a coward, I would have asked you to bring courage. But you were a fearless warrior. If you had died young, I would have asked you to get life. But you lived long. So I shall ask you to come again the way you came before.

True words from an elder.....

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by SenselessIdiot: 6:58am On Mar 11, 2018
While the coward afonja called Wole soyinka is somewhere in USA passing empty threats as usual.
All afonjas took their cowardly act from the idiot called awolowo

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by blesskewe(f): 7:00am On Mar 11, 2018
Things fall apart
The center cannot hold
I read that book more than 3times

17 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by cocaineaddict(m): 7:00am On Mar 11, 2018
...That night the Mother of the Spirits walked the length and breadth of the clan, weeping for her murdered son. It was a terrible night. Not even the oldest man in Umuofia had ever heard such a strange and fearful sound, and it was never to be heard again. It seemed as if the very soul of the tribe wept for a great evil that was coming .....

That dude up there trying to instigate a tribal war.... Nwanne nwayo Biko. 2day na sunday

59 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Salarys: 7:01am On Mar 11, 2018
NO 5 .. really insightful

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:02am On Mar 11, 2018
The novel is overhyped.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nwaisuochi(m): 7:05am On Mar 11, 2018
blesskewe:
Things fall apart
The center cannot hold
I read that book more than 3times
I have read it more than 10× my dear-a collector's item!

3 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by femi4: 7:05am On Mar 11, 2018
No 9 is no longer valid, we are in a generation where women sit on a nail while making babies

8 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by QueenDeborah(f): 7:06am On Mar 11, 2018
E no sweet.

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by onemanonewife(m): 7:07am On Mar 11, 2018
I remember " now that they have won our brethren and our clan can no longer speak as on, they have put a knife on the things that held us together and we have fallen apart

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 7:08am On Mar 11, 2018
2, 3,4,5,7, 12 and 14 are not quotes but excerpts.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by onemanonewife(m): 7:08am On Mar 11, 2018
[quote author=onemanonewife post=65736596]I remember " now that they have won our brethren and our clan can no longer speak as one, they have put a knife on the things that held us together and we have fallen apart["
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by femi4: 7:09am On Mar 11, 2018
Chikita66:
The novel is overhyped.
Indomie pikin, I understand where you r coming from

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Ejiod(m): 7:13am On Mar 11, 2018
Lighthouseman:
Ok
The sun will shine on those standing before on those sitting.
When our education was good. The book was used by literature students but why they stopped, I don't know.
Its politics dear. Hardly can any1 from age 15-30 tell u anything about this great book. A friend from an African country said that book is always there as top literature book that they must read. Nearly all students in Africa has read the book but not in Nigeria..

17 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Ejiod(m): 7:14am On Mar 11, 2018
femi4:
Nice reply bro cool
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Chukazu: 7:14am On Mar 11, 2018
No.9

. “That cannot be,” said Machi. “You might as well say that the woman was on top of the man when they are making the babies

See how discreet they were without mentioning the word "sex" in their time

But children of this generation; every conversation ends up with sex, bleeping, conji Mouth Action, miracle and Nina, BBnaija embarassed embarassed?,

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Chukazu: 7:21am On Mar 11, 2018
SenselessIdiot:
While the coward afonja called Wole soyinka is somewhere in USA passing empty threats as usual.
All afonjas took they cowardly act from the idiot called awolowo

From your moniker we know who you are... senseless!

10 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:22am On Mar 11, 2018
femi4:
I've read it two times (igbo and English version), its not as fascinating as people say it is.

4 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Awoo88: 7:24am On Mar 11, 2018
SenselessIdiot:
See as you mumu finish!! Only Buhari supporters are this stupid even so, they are paid. For any other person to be so stupid as your post suggest is out of this world

9 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Awoo88: 7:26am On Mar 11, 2018
Chikita66:
I've read it two times (igbo and English version), its not as fascinating as people say it is.
Then you don't understand literature. That book is among the top five most translated book in history

15 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Suuuru: 7:28am On Mar 11, 2018
When next you are passing comments, watch your manners provided you have one. Good manners will never permit any sensible living soul to pass dirty comments on elder state men like Awolowo, Zik and a host of others. They did the little they can.

3 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:34am On Mar 11, 2018
SenselessIdiot:
u are quite a replica of your name. what has the aforementioned names got to do with the thread.

2 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by seniorkachion(m): 7:35am On Mar 11, 2018
Do not despair. I know you will not despair. You have a manly and a proud heart. A proud heart can withstand a general failure, because such a failure does not prick his pride. It is more difficult and more bitter when a man fails alone.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Write A Letter To Apply For Loan In Your Company / (BBW) Big Bold Woman ( a short story) / Chimamanda Adichie Nearly Cried Seeing Mother, Grace Ifeoma Read Online Comments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.