Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe (35238 Views)

Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) / Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Wiseoldman: 7:40am On Mar 11, 2018
Those whose kernels were cracked by benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble...

My favorite from "Things fall apart"

7 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:45am On Mar 11, 2018
blesskewe:
Things fall apart
The center cannot hold
I read that book more than 3times
Jesus! Were u born yesterday? I read the book 20times with different covers both hard andsoft copies. I never missed the television series when. Itwas being aired on NTA in late 90s to 2001.

20-3=17 pls go and read it 17times more.

Am sure you haven. Read "arrow of god" no longer at ease" girls at war,
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Merryglad(f): 7:46am On Mar 11, 2018
Suuuru:
When next you are passing comments, watch your manners provided you have one. Good manners will never permit any sensible living soul to pass dirty comments on elder state men like Awolowo, Zik and a host of others. They did the little they can.
I like that sometimes people make comments without thinking, Maybe Buhari is in charge of manners......respect for elders only makes your life longer thats one secrete our generation has refuse to understand.....back to the book
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by shizzleStar: 7:47am On Mar 11, 2018
Chikita66:
I've read it two times (igbo and English version), its not as fascinating as people say it is.
Then it's either you are poor in literature appreciation or you are simply daft

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 11, 2018
Chikita66:
The novel is overhyped.
My dear sister it is not overhyped. That book is a reply to Joseph Conrad's heart of darkness and other books that depicted Africa as people with no culture. That book projected Africa in a good light as a people with culture, values and traditions. Not barbaric and making horrid faces as some foreign writers said.

7 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by DavidEsq(m): 7:49am On Mar 11, 2018
I think no. 9 is taken from "Things fall apart", wr one of Okonkwo's friends or relatives converted to christianity and registered his marriage with the church. During the marriage celebration, a cake was made, but the wife was the one whose hand was on the knife and she cut the cake, while the hubby's hand was on her hand.
I remember the husband being mocked for being a simple and tolerating husband.
That fact taught me that e don tey wey some of our papa dey romantic, even b4 white com wit e wahala.
OP mostly things fall apart book dey here na

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Joislim(f): 7:50am On Mar 11, 2018
Ejiod:

Its politics dear. Hardly can any1 from age 15-30 tell u anything about this great book. A friend from an African country said that book is always there as top literature book that they must read. Nearly all students in Africa has read the book but not in Nigeria..
I've read it and some of his books:

'No Longer At Ease'

'Arrow of God'

My best quote from 'Arrow of God's is..... "It's a coward who shows a stranger the destruction of a brave man's house" That should be the chief priest advising the 'brave' Obika. (I stand to be corrected, it's a while I read that book.)

4 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by blesskewe(f): 7:50am On Mar 11, 2018
IjeleNwa:
Jesus! Were u born yesterday? I read the book 20times with different covers both hard andsoft copies. I never missed the television series when. Itwas being aired on NTA in late 90s to 2001.

and a man of the people chike and the river there was a country grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by shizzleStar: 7:51am On Mar 11, 2018
Merryglad:
I like that sometimes people make comments without thinking, Maybe Buhari is in charge of manners......respect for elders only makes your life long thats one secrete our generation has refuse to understand.....back to the book
do you respect an elder that is heartless, lacks manners and kills people?

Which yeye secret? If buhari had manners he wouldn't go to do political campaign in a state where people were innocently slaughtered without paying them ordinary condolence visit
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by DeviIhimself: 7:52am On Mar 11, 2018
that's one of the novels i can never get tired of reading cheesy

pure African culture

but

Buhari is a criminal terrorist

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by DavidEsq(m): 7:53am On Mar 11, 2018
IjeleNwa:

Oni okhwo (person mama), wehdone ehn.
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Merryglad(f): 7:56am On Mar 11, 2018
shizzleStar:
do you respect an elder that is heartless, lacks manners and kills people?

Which yeye secret? If buhari had manners he wouldn't go to do political campaign in a state where people were innocently slaughtered without paying them ordinary condolence visit
Good morning
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by KingLennon(m): 8:02am On Mar 11, 2018
Chikita66:
The novel is overhyped.
Is overhyped to you, because the book is not for weak brains like you

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Samelle(f): 8:04am On Mar 11, 2018
1. A god who can kill his only child - a male child for that matter, what will he do to another man's child? I must follow him..

2. The white man came quietly and peaceably with his religion, we were amused at the white man's foolishness and allowed him to stay; now, the white man has won our brothers, we can no longer act as one. The white man has put a knife on the cord that held us together and we have fallen apart.

3. Turning and turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer... Things fall apart, the center cannot hold, mere anarchy rules the world.

10 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by 4koff: 8:25am On Mar 11, 2018
Chikita66:
I've read it two times (igbo and English version), its not as fascinating as people say it is.

Lol! The world has changed.
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by mustybaba55(m): 8:36am On Mar 11, 2018
THINGS FALL APART, MY FAVORITE NOVELS. RIP THE GREATEST WRITER. I love it
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by farouk0403(m): 8:42am On Mar 11, 2018
"Joy of Motherhood" is still the best, "Things fall apart is the second"

While my 3rd best drama novel is "The return of Ameze"
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by shizzleStar: 8:43am On Mar 11, 2018
Merryglad:
Good morning
Nice morning
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by dvee2: 8:53am On Mar 11, 2018
onemanonewife:
I remember " now that they have won our brethren and our clan can no longer speak as on, they have put a knife on the things that held us together and we have fallen apart

My best quote
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 11, 2018
Can someone explain the difference between LINE and QUOTE to Mr poster

3 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by K9Uneet(m): 9:35am On Mar 11, 2018
"That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death".

6 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by K9Uneet(m): 9:37am On Mar 11, 2018
Things Fall Apart is one novel I read at least 3 times every year. I usually buy copies of it and give out to secondary school literature students who are interested. I can never stop enjoying the book.

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Princewillj2k: 9:37am On Mar 11, 2018
lmao
Awoo88:

See as you mumu finish!! Only Buhari supporters are this stupid even so, they are paid. For any other person to be so stupid as your post suggest is out of this world
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by xest(m): 9:52am On Mar 11, 2018
Chikita66:
The novel is overhyped.
go n write ur own. U Don't have anything upstairs
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by achi4u(m): 9:58am On Mar 11, 2018
Wiseoldman:
Those whose kernels were cracked by benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble...

My favorite from "Things fall apart"

My favorite too grin
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by achi4u(m): 10:00am On Mar 11, 2018
shizzleStar:
Then it's either you are poor in literature appreciation or you are simply daft

Gbagam!
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Olatara(f): 10:05am On Mar 11, 2018
souloho19:
6. Eneke the bird says that since men have learned to shoot without missing, he has learned to fly without perching.

Op what about 'a lizard that falls from a palm tree would congratulate himself if no one does' something like that
the best one ever

2 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Olatara(f): 10:09am On Mar 11, 2018
blesskewe:
Things fall apart
The center cannot hold
I read that book more than 3times
I read it like 10 times
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by bossrillboss: 10:13am On Mar 11, 2018
15..I am evil forest,I kill pple on their happiest day. thngs fall apart,mere anarchy upon the world,the center can no longer hold. ..the book sweet baje baje. I dolf my cap for pa Achebe....

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by bossrillboss: 10:19am On Mar 11, 2018
dat time we dey school na science class I dey o bt i must enter art class do literature for school na only baba soyinka books dey gv us headache dat time becos of big big grammar,we totally became great friend of Oxford dictionary grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by talk2percy(m): 10:33am On Mar 11, 2018
Chikita66:
The novel is overhyped.
Then write ur own and let the world rate u.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Nearly Cried Seeing Mother, Grace Ifeoma Read Online Comments / (BBW) Big Bold Woman ( a short story) / The Favourite Who Loved Me (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.