Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW (27162 Views)

Top Current Car Brands And Their Country Of Origin / Car Logo Game: Tell Us The Names Of These Car Brands Using Their Logos Only / 28 Car Brands And The Year They Were Founded - Innoson Will Shock You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Harrynight(m): 10:18pm On Mar 11, 2018
Where is Hyundai
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Shroud: 10:21pm On Mar 11, 2018
ChristineC:
when will you guys stop speaking on things you have no idea of? Post a picture of your garage filled with "cheap mass produced cars". Surely you can afford at least five or six.

Cheap mass production yet they score among the highest in reliability and durability in all class segments.

Cheap mass production yet they have one of the highest resale values you can ever find on the market, be it in America or Europe or Africa. Go and sit down.

All right, a butthurt Toyota cry baby spotted. Toyota cars a very reliable.

Afterall they aren't breaking technological grounds so why will a calculator not have better reliability to a computer?

And Toyota is cheap!
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by ba7man(m): 10:23pm On Mar 11, 2018
Zoharariel:

I hope you noticed that Daimler didn't make the top 10 strongest brands? grin
Renault made it though, you can have that.

I'll go for a Benz.
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by iluvpomo(m): 10:54pm On Mar 11, 2018
Shroud:
let me go over the parts you highlighted

1) acceleration: measurement time for a car to pull out from a stop. It's an industrial term.

2) quickness: industrial term for 0-60 time

3) fastness : top speed. Industrial term too for the highest speed a car can achieve. All Asian cars are lacking in this aspect too.

4) top speed: same as fastness so I'm guilty of repetition here.

5) breaking distance: this is the measurement of time a car is brought to a stop when the break is firmly applied at a particular speed. Again European cars are heavier on an average than Japanese cars but have better braking distance time.

6) stability: a car's ability to maintain balance at top speed in different road terrain and road conditions. Give Mercedes a thumbs up for this ability especially.

7) cornering or manoeuvrability: ability to take bends or road curves at high speeds. Apart from the Ferraris and lambos, I give BMW this ability, Mercedes and Audi are just right behind BMW

8. Road feel is an industrial term for the feel between the wheel and tyres wnen on high speed. Its the feeling or lack thereof of surety of being in control of the vehicle. The connection between the steering wheel and the tyres of the vehicle when on high speeds. These feeling is near-numb on most Japanese cars when you're in the territory of 160kmh.

Ha ha .... now that you have defined some basic terms why don’t you go ahead and actually provide the data ..... numbers.
This discussion has to be qualitative and not subjective.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Shroud: 10:55pm On Mar 11, 2018
iluvpomo:

Ha ha .... now that you have defined some basic terms why don’t you go ahead and actually provide the data ..... numbers.
This discussion has to be qualitative and not subjective.
you keep raising the bar! I'm not indulging. All my assertions here are easily verifiable.

Feel free to prove me wrong.
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by kwessiStewie2(m): 11:05pm On Mar 11, 2018
When it comes to luxurious brands its British and Italian that makes most sense.
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by iluvpomo(m): 11:11pm On Mar 11, 2018
Shroud:
you keep raising the bar! I'm not indulging. All my assertions here are easily verifiable.

Feel free to prove me wrong.
Thanks. I prefer my auto discussions to be technical.....
Here is something for your reading pleasure and proving how competitive Lexus is :
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/reviews/a5213/the-comparison-65-3-roa1013/

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by kingreign(m): 11:11pm On Mar 11, 2018
Shroud:
Toyota is only expensive in Nigeria where things always defy logic.
check in European and American and Japanese car sales listings Toyota is very expensive.

Secondly Lexus at its inception made raves and was soon placed in its true possition by the German brands after a decade or two.

Lexus still lacks behind the German brands in acceleration, quickness, fastness, top speed, breaking distance, road feel, stability, cornering and technology
wrong they're all having different philosophy and approach and definition towards building luxury. To the Germans it's sports, to Lexus it's uber quiet comfy supple ride.

As a matter of fact today , Lexus is just a Toyota with a different badge given more leather, Formica and noise cancelling features.
a Toyota build quality and materials doesn't match close to a Lexus. You need to be enlightened more so stop speaking fallacies and study without bias

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by kingreign(m): 11:13pm On Mar 11, 2018
Shroud:
[s] let me go over the parts you highlighted

1) acceleration: measurement time for a car to pull out from a stop. It's an industrial term.

2) quickness: industrial term for 0-60 time

3) fastness : top speed. Industrial term too for the highest speed a car can achieve. All Asian cars are lacking in this aspect too.

4) top speed: same as fastness so I'm guilty of repetition here.

5) breaking distance: this is the measurement of time a car is brought to a stop when the break is firmly applied at a particular speed. Again European cars are heavier on an average than Japanese cars but have better braking distance time.

6) stability: a car's ability to maintain balance at top speed in different road terrain and road conditions. Give Mercedes a thumbs up for this ability especially.

7) cornering or manoeuvrability: ability to take bends or road curves at high speeds. Apart from the Ferraris and lambos, I give BMW this ability, Mercedes and Audi are just right behind BMW

8. Road feel is an industrial term for the feel between the wheel and tyres wnen on high speed. Its the feeling or lack thereof of surety of being in control of the vehicle. The connection between the steering wheel and the tyres of the vehicle when on high speeds. These feeling is near-numb on most Japanese cars when you're in the territory of 160kmh[/s].

You truly lack idea of what you're all about. Stop speaking emotionally.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Shroud: 11:14pm On Mar 11, 2018
kingreign:

You truly lack idea of what you're all about. Stop speaking emotionally.
Another enraged fanboy took the efforts to cross out my post but couldn't do the easier thing of debunking it with facts.

Shame.
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by kingreign(m): 11:17pm On Mar 11, 2018
Shroud:
Another enraged fanboy took the efforts to cross out my post but couldn't do the easier thing of debunking it with facts.

Shame.

Produce facts stop whinging
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Shroud: 11:23pm On Mar 11, 2018
I will cross out this empty drivel you just posted and supply you facts. Mind you only in Nigeria will you have Toyota drivers pretending to be car freaks. Abroad, no car affectionado touches Toyota.

kingreign:
[s]check in European and American and Japanese car sales listings Toyota is very expensive.

wrong they're all having different philosophy and approach and definition towards building luxury. To the Germans it's sports, to Lexus it's uber quiet comfy supple ride.

a Toyota build quality and materials doesn't match close to a Lexus. You need to be enlightened more so stop speaking fallacies and study without bias[/s]

Mercedes is renowned for quite, magic carpet ride. Very serene ride. mater of fact, the S class 2017 coupe has the quietest ride for last year You obviously haven't driven a Mercedes.

Lexus or any other Japanese isn't the best at what they do. Lexus is meant to be comfortable and quiet but it isn't the top class of what it was meant to do.

There's no Lexus or Japanese that has Mercedes level driving quality or comfort. Even Mercedes seats are replicated for luxury airlines like Lufthansa.

And there's no Lexus or Japanese car out there that has the agility of a BMW or Audi.

And you claim to the Germans it's sports? That only applies to BMW and Audi and Mercedes AMG.

Get your facts right. Lexus is a Toyota with a different badge.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by ChristineC: 11:26pm On Mar 11, 2018
Shroud:

All right, a butthurt Toyota cry baby spotted. Toyota cars a very reliable.

Afterall they aren't breaking technological grounds so why will a calculator not have better reliability to a computer?

And Toyota is cheap!
and i thought you couldn't say anything more trashy. You still haven't shown us the cheap Toyotas in your garage, O King.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Shroud: 11:26pm On Mar 11, 2018
kingreign:

Produce facts stop whinging
see who's demanding facts? Our emotion-laden fanboy who aggressively cancels out post without any logical rebuttal except subjective personal denials.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by ChristineC: 11:32pm On Mar 11, 2018
Shroud:
I will. Ross out this empty drivel you just posted and supply oyu facts. Mind you only in Nigeria will you have Toyota drivers pretending to be car freaks. Abroad, no car affectionado touches Toyota.
you've been talking "abroad" since this topic was posted, if we check you well now you've not travelled beyond Cotonou before. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Follygunners: 11:34pm On Mar 11, 2018
Originalsly:
This is more about sales figures. I guess Toyota still leads in volume and reliability. Honda seems to be fading away...hope the new accords will make the brand stop slipping...oh well...Acura?...that's disappearing.

Honda fading away? You must be delusional and swimming on the sea of ignorance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Shroud: 11:34pm On Mar 11, 2018
ChristineC:
and i thought you couldn't say anything more trashy. You still haven't shown us the cheap Toyotas in your garage, O King.
I asked you a simple question: can a calculator and a computer have same reliability status?

Answer is no.

Your 2006 Camry (big for nothing) still uses 5-speed auto gear box set up.. what Mercedes used in 1997.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by kingreign(m): 11:35pm On Mar 11, 2018
Shroud:
see who's demanding facts? Our emotion-laden fanboy who aggressively cancels out post without any logical rebuttal except subjective personal denials.

I see you lack logical mature debate. Off to bed I go. I won't debate with emotion laden dweeps

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Shroud: 11:36pm On Mar 11, 2018
ChristineC:
you've been talking "abroad" since this topic was posted, if we check you well now you've not travelled beyond Cotonou before. grin grin grin
now he's going personal. Butthurt much.
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Shroud: 11:38pm On Mar 11, 2018
kingreign:

I see you lack logical mature debate. Off to bed I go. I won't debate with emotion laden dweeps

Weak reverse psychology!

The fact that you drive a Toyota or a fan of one is a FACT you know nothing about cars!! That's the gospel truth.

Now off you go.
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by ChristineC: 11:39pm On Mar 11, 2018
Shroud:
I asked you a simple question: can a calculator and a computer have same reliability status?

Answer is no.

Your 2006 Camry (big for nothing) still uses 5-speed auto gear box set up.. when Mercedes used in 1997.
you are talking a whole lot of offs. Talking 160km/hr like you have ever driven a car that fast in your life. Talking abroad and overboard like all the used Toyotas flooding tin can island everyday is falling from Heaven. Now its 5-speed gear or 25-speed gear box.

pick a struggle.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Shroud: 11:39pm On Mar 11, 2018
kingreign:

Did he just call me names? ( Emotional laden dweeps)

And it is dweeb not "dweeps".

When logical reasoning is lacking, name- calling is the cheapest alternative.

You're as cheap as your car.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Shroud: 11:45pm On Mar 11, 2018
ChristineC:
you are talking a whole lot of offs. Talking 160km/hr like you have ever driven a car that fast in your life. Talking abroad and overboard like all the used Toyotas flooding tin can island everyday is falling from Heaven. Now its 5-speed gear or 25-speed gear box.

Nigga pick a struggle.
I belong to a Nairaland BBM group here. I have driven my E class Mercedes Kompressor doing 160 kmh from Warri to Asaba enroute Enugu and posted the live selfie pics on the BBM group. Yes. Mercedes stability and road-feel allows me to hold the wheel with one hand with confidence even at such speed because I still have enough grip!!!

Wanna see? And I can tag Nairalanders here to very this claim.
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by ChristineC: 12:01am On Mar 12, 2018
Shroud:
I belong to a Nairaland BBM group here. I have driven my E class Mercedes Kompressor doing 160 kmh from Warri to Asaba enroute Enugu and posted the live selfie pics on the BBM group. Yes. Mercedes stability and road-feel allows me to hold the wheel with one hand with confidence even at such speed because I still have enough grip!!!

Wanna see? And I can tag Nairalanders here to very this claim.
so you were driving 160km on a Nigerian road so you could post selfies to prove what? That no Japanese car can be driven the same way with one hand? grin grin

Ok oo you win.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by postmann: 7:39am On Mar 12, 2018
ChristineC:
when will you guys stop speaking on things you have no idea of? Post a picture of your garage filled with "cheap mass produced cars". Surely you can afford at least five or six.

Cheap mass production yet they score among the highest in reliability and durability in all class segments.

Cheap mass production yet they have one of the highest resale values you can ever find on the market, be it in America or Europe or Africa. Go and sit down.

True. Toyota has good resale value and good sales numbers thanks to their cheaper price. VW is cheap too and enjoys high sales too.

But Toyota's bread and butter of sales, Camry, couldn't break into Europe, the continent of cars and had to be discontinued there in the mid '90's grin

Toyota's, philosophy is to produce cheaper cars for the world's poorer economies, same philosophy first imbibed by VW with their famous beatles.

KIA and others have adopted the same philosophy and like Toyota they are known for playing safe, never venturing into groundbreaking innovation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by kingreign(m): 7:53am On Mar 12, 2018
postmann:

True. Toyota has good resale value and good sales numbers thanks to their cheaper price. VW is cheap too and enjoys high sales too.

But Toyota's bread and butter of sales couldn't break into Europe, the continent of cars and had to be discontinued there in the mid '90's grin

Toyota's, philosophy is to produce cheaper cars for the world's poorer economies, same philosophy first imbibed by VW with their famous beatles.

KIA and others have adopted the same philosophy and like Toyota they are known for playing safe, never venturing into groundbreaking innovation.

Wrong.
Toyota are all about global market. Not regional market.
US and Aussie are great market for them.

About Kia and Hyundai those companies are like very very wild fire. Far back 09 they introduced 6sp auto with luxury features into their cars when mid class vehicles never thought so. Look at the Kia stinger look at the k900 and a host of others.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by medexico(m): 8:05am On Mar 12, 2018
Na only Germany and Korea dey do car?
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Coldfeets: 9:06am On Mar 12, 2018
I can see the GERMAN machines everywhere!!!
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by umuna(m): 9:09am On Mar 12, 2018
obafemee80:

Mercedes-Benz has overtaken Toyota and BMW to claim pole position as the world’s most valuable automobile brand, according to the latest study conducted by Brand Finance.

The German automaker grew 24% year-on-year to $43.9-billion as its car sales increased by 9.9% to 2.3-million vehicles. Slipping to second was Toyota (down 6% to $43.7-billion), ahead of third-placed BMW (up 6% to $41.8-billion). 

Brand Finance said: "Mercedes-Benz invented the automobile, and is now leading the industry with a brand strategy focused on re-inventing the automobile. 

"Their success has been driven by the introduction of a new generation of vehicles led by their renewed foray into SUVs and smooth evolution of new technologies to move away from traditional internal combustion engines."

Outside the top 10, many Chinese automakers are enjoying remarkable brand value growth while focusing on the Chinese domestic mark ,now the world’s largest; This includes Haval (up 124% to US$6.8 billion), Geely (up 62% to $6.0-billion), BYD (up 211% to $3.4-billion), Baojun (up 98% to $1.8-billion), and Foton (up 90% to $1.0-billion).

Earlier in 2018, Geely purchased 9.7% of Daimler, seeking to work on electric cars with the German conglomerate, while the German government said it would keep a monitor on the rrelationship.

The Volkswagen Group, which oversees VW, Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, and several other brands, is still the most valuable overall at $75.8 billion for its entire portfolio.

Last year's biggest gainer,Aston Martin is up 268% over the prior year and now has a brand value of $3.6 billion. Aston Martin recently posted its first profitable year since 2010, which boosted it from 77th place on last year's list to 24th for the 2018 forecast.

Brand Finance also ranks its "strongest brands".

Source https://autojosh.com/top-10-most-valuable-car-brands-2018-mercedes-overtakes-toyota-and-rivalbmw/

Surprised Hyundai is not there josh
Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by Dthrone: 9:26am On Mar 12, 2018
ChristineC:
so you were driving 160km on a Nigerian road so you could post selfies to prove what? That no Japanese car can be driven the same way with one hand? grin grin

Ok oo you win.
At least he has proof but what do you have sir.......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by ChristineC: 9:40am On Mar 12, 2018
Dthrone:

At least he has proof but what do you have sir.......
what is the proof?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW by postmann: 9:46am On Mar 12, 2018
kingreign:

Wrong.
Toyota are all about global market. Not regional market.
US and Aussie are great market for them.

About Kia and Hyundai those companies are like very very wild fire. Far back 09 they introduced 6sp auto with luxury features into their cars when mid class vehicles never thought so. Look at the Kia stinger look at the k900 and a host of others.
"Overview
If you’re reading this and saying, “I didn't know Kia made a luxury sedan,” you’re not alone. The K900 is a muscular four-door stuffed with leather, wood trim, and electronic amusements all as standard. The base engine is a 311-hp V-6, while a 420-hp V-8 is optional. The steering is numb and the suspension is soft. Kia wants buyers to think the K900 is a value compared with its more-expensive competitors, but we’d rather spend less for a car that is more about driving than gadgets."

Above is the review of the k900 by Car and driver with 2.5 star rating. I'd call the Kia k900 a pretense at luxury.

If you mean 6speed auto transmission in a Kia vehicle in 2009, then I should tell you in concrete terms the 2002 Mercedes-Benz C Class which an entry level model (not even a mid- size sedan) was equipped with a 6speed auto Trans as standard.

As far as cars goes, Europe do 90% of the innovations with the rest coming from the U.S . So negligible a few come elswhere.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Would You Buy This Maybach Smart Fortwo? (photos) / Brabus 900 Unveiled As The Most Powerful V12 Off-roader In The World (photos) / Help- Vsa/caution Light On 08 Honda Pilot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.