Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Watermelon Farming Proper - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Watermelon Farming Proper (3945 Views)

My Watermelon Farming Experience / Dry Season Watermelon Farming With Drip Irrigation System. / Watermelon Farming In Nigeria: Beginner’s Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 8:31am On Mar 12, 2018
So after my failed watermelon farm on a plot of land after goats and sheep help me to eat up the whole farm, I've been able to secure one hectare of land through ogun/osun river basin. More details on that later, I planted on 7th March 2018 this is the fift day still no rain. But I'm hopeful I'll go to the farm tomorrow and upload pictures. I'll also update you on money spent as the farm progresses. Wish me luck oo...

2 Likes

Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by Nobody: 8:36am On Mar 12, 2018
Goats dey chop water melon leaf?? if I hear
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 8:42am On Mar 12, 2018
My brother na so I see am oo, maybe den send them oo. It wasn't funny then oo they were even eating them ridges by ridges
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 11:04pm On Mar 13, 2018
Today is the 6th day I was at the farm , germination is not up to 10% yet due to the weather there has been no rain since I planted.
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 2:59pm On Mar 16, 2018
Day 10 still no rain germination still not perfect yet.
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 10:19pm On Mar 18, 2018
Day 12 rain at last. Will update with pictures on Wednesday
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by kripen(m): 7:14am On Mar 19, 2018
We are following for updates.
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by Holycity(f): 7:19pm On Mar 19, 2018
following

1 Like

Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 1:35pm On Mar 21, 2018
Day 14:
So I went to the farm today and apparently the heavy rain that fell the other day did not get to mokoloki, so germination is still not complete. Terrible weather. So here's the pics of the farm of the farm as promised
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 8:17pm On Mar 21, 2018
Being trying to upload pics since morning but I guess network is bad
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by eddyline(m): 3:57pm On Mar 22, 2018
rain shall come bro. following

1 Like

Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by Ken4you2000: 7:37pm On Mar 22, 2018
I wish u d very best brother....

1 Like

Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 11:15am On Mar 23, 2018
It's actually your sister lol thanks

2 Likes

Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 12:02pm On Apr 10, 2018
day 34: so the watermelon is doing well so far, they're flowering now and some are even bringing seeds already. I took some pics of the farm but don't know if it will upload but I'll try
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 12:50pm On Apr 10, 2018
kindly assist on how to upload pics here, have been trying to upload but to no avail
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by ola185: 2:13pm On Apr 10, 2018
onoseunice:
day 34: so the watermelon is doing well so far, they're flowering now and some are even bringing seeds already. I took some pics of the farm but don't know if it will upload but I'll try

Good job... Pls can I still plant watermelon now in d south west, what is d maturity period of watermelon(from planting-harvesting) and like how many times am i going to harvest it? Thanks!
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 3:00pm On Apr 11, 2018
it's late to plant, best planting time is end of February to second week of March. harvest can be 3-4times but will update you when I harvest, maturity is between 85-90 days
ola185:

Good job... Pls can I still plant watermelon now in d south west, what is d maturity period of watermelon(from planting-harvesting) and like how many times am i going to harvest it? Thanks!
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 4:09pm On Apr 14, 2018
day 38: watermelon doing well, they almost have started fruiting
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by Irumolesoft: 1:27am On Apr 20, 2018
onoseunice:
day 38: watermelon doing well, they almost have started fruiting

Good job sis , I have been following your thread, what’s the update on your watermelon ,
How have you been able to take care of pest ?
Since you planted in a bigger land how have you been able to irrigate ?
Waiting for updates .
God bless
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 1:34pm On Apr 25, 2018
well it's risky to plant watermelon during rainy season. but a friend told me there's one watermelon one can plant during the raining season that will still do well. that being said the price for the normal watermelon price for 500gram is about 8k-9k depending on where you're buying that 500gram should cover one hectare but if you're buying the one that will do well during the raining season 50gram is about 3500-4000 so make your calculation, and watermelon takes between 80-90 days from sowing to maturity

ola185:

Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 1:39pm On Apr 25, 2018
the watermelon are doing very well so far the only problem I'm having so far is rabbit they're eating up some of the seeds but other than that every thing is marvelous the some of the seeds are really big I would have uploaded pictures but I've not been able to, and the issue of irrigation no need as watermelon needs just little rain.

[1quote author=Irumolesoft post=66864258]

Good job sis , I have been following your thread, what’s the update on your watermelon ,
How have you been able to take care of pest ?
Since you planted in a bigger land how have you been able to irrigate ?
Waiting for updates .
God bless [/quote]
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by ola185: 2:35pm On Apr 25, 2018
onoseunice:
well it's risky to plant watermelon during rainy season. but a friend told me there's one watermelon one can plant during the raining season that will still do well. that being said the price for the normal watermelon price for 500gram is about 8k-9k depending on where you're buying that 500gram should cover one hectare but if you're buying the one that will do well during the raining season 50gram is about 3500-4000 so make your calculation, and watermelon takes between 80-90 days from sowing to maturity

Thanks.... Some guys in my area planted theirs around march 30/31. Osun precisely!
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 6:59pm On Apr 25, 2018
let me know how that went [q1uote author=ola185 post=67020833]
Thanks.... Some guys in my area planted theirs around march 30/31. Osun precisely![/quote]
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 11:04am On May 03, 2018
day 57: so I got to shocker information, I got to know that from planting of watermelon to harvest is actually 75days and not 85days like some handouts made me believe. the farm is doing very well the only problem I have is that rabbit has found their new place of feeding from my farm. but I'm hoping for a good harvest
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by otarunero2015(m): 4:26pm On May 04, 2018
Hi nice thread you got here I stay at ikorodu any idea how I can get my hands on watermelon seed? T
Thanks
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by shariff84: 9:55pm On May 04, 2018
onoseunice:
day 57: so I got to shocker information, I got to know that from planting of watermelon to harvest is actually 75days and not 85days like some handouts made me believe. the farm is doing very well the only problem I have is that rabbit has found their new place of feeding from my farm. but I'm hoping for a good harvest
the maturity of watermelon always depend on the planting season.if you plant it during raining season,the maturity days is 75days but if its in dry season using irrigation is 85days.so dont be shock.lolz

1 Like

Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 7:04pm On May 05, 2018
otarunero2015:
Hi nice thread you got here I stay at ikorodu any idea how I can get my hands on watermelon seed? T
Thanks
yes what's the quantity you want to buy
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by otarunero2015(m): 3:42pm On May 09, 2018
onoseunice:

yes what's the quantity you want to buy
how many seed do you need to produce 100-150 ball
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by Alberttahir: 5:30pm On May 09, 2018
Nice and educative thread. I'm in.

1 Like

Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by onoseunice: 11:09pm On May 10, 2018
otarunero2015:
how many seed do you need to produce 100-150 ball
one vine produces between 1-3 seeds so you do your calculation
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by Alberttahir: 7:00am On May 11, 2018
onoseunice:

pls what is the name of water mellon variety that will do wel during the rainy season, and is it good if one plant such variety in May?
Re: Watermelon Farming Proper by omo17(m): 11:50am On May 11, 2018
Well-done, but we still need pics.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Lucrative Farming In Nigeria To Invest In And Make Millions / Heliculture (snail Farming): Facts And How To Start / Long Grain Rice Paddy For Sale In Large Quantity.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.