Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

Do You Know Africa’s True Name? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Know Africa’s True Name? (501 Views)

Thomas Sankara -one Of Africa's True Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know Africa’s True Name? by coolk(m): 1:25pm On Mar 13, 2018
I stumbled on this article while researching on something else and thought it wise to share:

Africa’s True Name

Have you ever stopped to wonder: what is in a name?

If words’ sound power, and there is knowledge in power, then it stands to reason that by gaining knowledge of the origin and perceived meaning of a word, one surely garners more knowledge about that particular word; right?

Well, that is the stance I undertook when pondering the name of our beautifully majestic continent. The cradle of civilization; presently referred to as the continent of ‘Africa’ – but is this the name our ancestors of old used when referring to our motherland? Or have we as descendents of this magnificent continent not only been robbed of our inherent way of life (thanks to colonization) but been robbed of the knowledge of our motherlands’ true name.

My quest to answer these questions was not an ardious one (all thanks due to the wonders of technology and 'Google'!!) ...

I simply typed in the phrase: ‘Africa’s true name’; low and behold, my inherent feelings that this ‘Africa’ is not the true name of my beloved homeland struck!

The name ‘Africa’ stems from the time when the Roman Empire took occupation of the majority of the continent. As is the practice in these type war times, the “Romans sought to completely disconnect the indigenous Africans with their culture, deities, and knowledge. This could only be successfully done by renaming the all archetypical icons, thereby disconnecting the significance, meaning, and sacredness from any specific archetype."

Read more about the Greek and Roman influence on Africa's etymology. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa#Etymology]

As I stumbled across quite a few forums and
discussions about this very matter, it became clear that there is a very present and real debate on the go about the origin of our continent’s name, and what I found is that our motherland’s true name is: Alkebulan.

According to the following resource: Kemetic History of Afrika ; the definition of Alkebulan is as follows:
“The ancient name of Africa was Alkebulan.
Alkebu-lan "mother of mankind" or "garden of eden".

Alkebulan is the oldest and the only word of indigenous origin. It was used by the Moors, Nubians, Numidians, Khart-Haddans (Carthagenians), and Ethiopians.

Africa, the current misnomer adopted by almost everyone today, was given to this continent by the ancient Greeks and Romans. "

Perhaps in line with this new found knowledge, we should boldly go forward as ‘Alkebulanites’; true and sincere, moving to the beat of our own ancient drums.

[source]https://www.drivesouthafrica.co.za/blog/africas-true-name/[/source]

Re: Do You Know Africa’s True Name? by Omololu2121: 1:45pm On Mar 13, 2018
This is bullshit
Re: Do You Know Africa’s True Name? by coolk(m): 2:23pm On Mar 13, 2018
Omololu2121:
This is bullshit

undecided

Little-mind.
Re: Do You Know Africa’s True Name? by coolk(m): 2:23pm On Mar 13, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Receives Martin Luther King Award / UPDATED: APC Governors Bow To Pressure, Back Buhari On Tenure / Nairaland Members Please Endorse Me For President Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.