Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto (17864 Views)

Senate To Override President Buhari’s Veto On Two Bills / 2019: Youths Commence Moves To Unseat Buhari - The Nation / Senate Suspends Senator Ovie Omo-Agege For 90 Days Over Election Reordering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by Tuprelo: 2:27pm On Mar 14, 2018
THIS IS NOT ABOUT PMB, BUT I DON'T SEE THE SENSE IN THE NAS DECISION. IN A TIME WHEN WE SHOULD BE THINKING OF CUTTING COST OF GOVERNANCE THE RE ORDERING IF ALLOW WILL DEFINITELY INCREASE COST, COS WE WILL BE SHUTTING OUR ECONOMY FOR 3 DAYS. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE ALL ELECTIONS IN ONE DAY?

1 Like

Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by Nobody: 2:28pm On Mar 14, 2018
they're just wasting their time. 70% of senators from north will never return to that chamber. if they like let them override or change the sequence 100% ,we are waiting for them .we don't make noise here ooooh but on the day of election, we will show them the red card.

and as for those with 10% vote chanting here please wait till that day as we vote massively for PMB. after that you can kill yourself
Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by eTECTIVe(m): 2:29pm On Mar 14, 2018
Tuprelo:
I DON'T THINK ANYBODY IS AFRAID OF SOMETHING OR SOMEBODY. BUT I AM QUITE SURPRISED THAT AT A TIME WHEN WE SHOULD ALL BE THINKING OF CUTTING THE COST OF THIS PRESIDENTIAL SYSTEM, THE SAME VERY EXPENSIVE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY IS THINKING OF INCREASING COST BY STAGGERING ELECTIONS. WHY CANT WE DO ALL ELECTIONS IN ONE DAY INSTEAD OF SHUTTING OUR ECONOMY FOR WHOLE 3 DAYS AS THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY ARE SUGGESTING. I THINK THIS RE ORDERING IS VERY UNECONOMICAL AND SELFISHLY MYOPIC.

Elections have always been staggered and dat isnt d reason d govt is against it.. Wen a sitting senator and even spokespersons to d govt claims d move is against d govt and den d govt rejects it. Baba it has nothing to do with costs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 2:35pm On Mar 14, 2018
Its power tussle between the Executive and the legislatures.

1 Like

Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by Bimpe29: 2:42pm On Mar 14, 2018
Please let his vote be overruled. It's a nice development for our nascent democracy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by lakesider(m): 2:47pm On Mar 14, 2018
Nigeria's need to stop praising law makers and executive who are fighting for their own pocket .
1. When will the senate override on bill that will create employment ?
2.when will the senate override on bill criminalizing curruption
3.when will the senate override on bill that gives nigerians equal opportunity
4.when will the senate override on bill allowing resource control .
Are nigerians really stupid people like our leaders think ?
Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by lakesider(m): 2:48pm On Mar 14, 2018
Bimpe29:
Please let his vote be overruled. It's a nice development for our nascent democracy.
How will this benefit majority of Nigerians
Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by Bimpe29: 2:58pm On Mar 14, 2018
It will strengthen institution and disallow rigging of election.
lakesider:

How will this benefit majority of Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by senatordave1(m): 3:37pm On Mar 14, 2018
Bimpe29:
It will strengthen institution and disallow rigging of election.
It has nothing with democracy or rigging.its a self seeking measure.the bill is illegal null and void.a lawyer this morning on silverbird tv explained it.the constitution has given inec the power to fix dates and sequence of elections not nass.if nass must change that law there must first amend the constitution which they havent.they instead amended the electoral act which is inferior to the constitution.is nass an election body? Why cant the focus on people oriented bills like seeking death penalty for looters?
Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by seguno2: 3:48pm On Mar 14, 2018
Proudlyngwa:
If the senate was trying to strengthen democracy, they should go for people oriented bill's.

Until they do something about breaking local government autonomy from state, I will never take them serious.

The senators only care about the senators

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the local government autonomy.
However, what have we, the people, done to express our strong interest
Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by Charly68: 4:02pm On Mar 14, 2018
Please can somebody elucidate the importance of this bill in question..why are the two parties fighting or opposing each other ? Are there hidden reasons or are they fighting for public interest ?
Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by Bimpe29: 4:45pm On Mar 14, 2018
Bro, go and peruse the bill holistically. It's more than just reordering of election timetable
senatordave1:

It has nothing with democracy or rigging.its a self seeking measure.the bill is illegal null and void.a lawyer this morning on silverbird tv explained it.the constitution has given inec the power to fix dates and sequence of elections not nass.if nass must change that law there must first amend the constitution which they havent.they instead amended the electoral act which is inferior to the constitution.is nass an election body? Why cant the focus on people oriented bills like seeking death penalty for looters?

1 Like

Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by hamzyluv(m): 4:54pm On Mar 14, 2018
eTECTIVe:
D one time dat d house of Assembly is actually doing something of note.. Why is d president worried about d election reorder? What is he afraid of? I jus hope dey eventually somehow overide his stupid veto. D sooner he realises he's not as popular as he thinks he is d beta for him

My good brother, don't u understand the fact that the bill will remain after Buharis' regime .. Its that time u will sincerely agree that they have destroy Nigeria Democracy . .
Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by Proudlyngwa(m): 4:58pm On Mar 14, 2018
seguno2:

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the local government autonomy.
However, what have we, the people, done to express our strong interest
Most people are ignorant of the local governments complete functional independence from the state.
They have been blindfolded from the aspect of TC chairman, which is illegal, also the adage of wet in local government dey do, is disturbing us.

I have a Facebook page which am trying to use in creating awareness, but like you rightly said, do Nigerians really want the right thing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by seguno2: 5:04pm On Mar 14, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

Most people are ignorant of the local governments complete functional independence from the state.
They have been blindfolded from the aspect of TC chairman, which is illegal, also the adage of wet in local government dey do, is disturbing us.

I have a Facebook page which am trying to use in creating awareness, but like you rightly said, do Nigerians really want the right thing.

Great idea about the Facebook.
You have to keep at it relentlessly until people slowly come to understand and spread the message.
Cheers
Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by Proudlyngwa(m): 5:14pm On Mar 14, 2018
seguno2:

Great idea about the Facebook.
You have to keep at it relentlessly until people slowly come to understand and spread the message.
Cheers

Thanks
Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by PDPGuy: 5:31pm On Mar 14, 2018
Icon79:
The national assembly is the biggest problem in Nigeria! You just have a gang of thieves in there stealing whatever they could lay their hands on. Look at their salaries and allowances and you'd feel sorry for Nigeria. They even get ridiculous stuffs like "hardship allowance, newspaper allowance, car allowance, house allowance, etc etc."

The United States is the richest country in the world but over here the only thing congress men and women receive are their basic salaries and nothing else. In fact, their remuneration is so meager that many of them can't even afford the high apartment rent in Washington, DC; hence they sleep in their offices. Yet in one of the poorest countries in the world, their leaders tend to steal everything in the treasury. God will judge the Nigerian leaders .... all of them!

O pari

Well, the $200,000+ annual salary of members of Congress can, at least, pay for a decent one-bedroom apartment. But as you said, a good number of our members of Congress prefer to live in their offices.

I once watched a CNN report on how 3 senators shared a 2-bedroom apartment, and mostly had cereal for breakfast and lunch. Lol

There is no use for them to buy a house in D.C. when they aren’t sure they would live in the city forever.
Re: Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto by senatordave1(m): 7:59pm On Mar 14, 2018
Bimpe29:
Bro, go and peruse the bill holistically. It's more than just reordering of election timetable
Oga or madam,you should read it again.whether it is less or more,sequencing and reordering of elections are inec's job constitutionally.amending a mere act or bill to change it is nonsensical.they need to amend that part of the constitution that gave inec that power.cant you comprehend my points?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ADC To Tinubu: FG, Jakande, Johnson & Marwa Built Lagos, Not You / "I Work On Facts,You Work On Figures"—PMB Counters Nigeria Being Poverty Capital / NLC Threatens Nationwide Strike Over Fuel Scarcity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.