Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,730 members, 7,809,801 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election (14663 Views)

Sowore’s Campaign Signals The End Of Godfatherism In Nigerian Politics / Sowore Campaign Page And Popularity Are Growing Really Fast / Massive Crowd Turnout As Omoyele Sowore Campaign At Lagos Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by diasporaman(m): 9:40am On Mar 15, 2018
The 2019 ambition of Omoyele Sowore suffered setback on Wednesday after GoFundMe suspended his bid to raise $2 million towards his ‘Take Back Nigeria Movement’.

The Sahara Reporters publisher told PREMIUM TIMES Wednesday night that he could not immediately say why the crowdfunding platform suspended his account, but said he would not be discouraged.

“I woke up this morning and got an e-mail saying saying they’ve suspended the campaign,” Mr. Sowore said.

Previously, he had been asked to provide further details about the purpose of the fundraiser by GoFundMe, which he did without hesitation.

He said the request was most likely due to the popularity that his campaign had garnered from those supporting his presidential ambition online.

But the campaign also elicited resentment amongst his antagonists, especially for its apparent success within the early hours of registration.

“I think they started reporting us as soon as we opened it and they saw we made $1,000 in one hour,” Mr. Sowore said.

The closure could prove demoralising for the anti-corruption campaigner, coming just as his campaign was getting off to a great start.

Mr. Sowore, who lives in New York from where he runs Sahara Reporters, first unveiled his presidential ambition during one of his regular visits to Nigeria last month.

Mr. Sowore’s bid gained widespread momentum after PREMIUM TIMES published an interview he granted it.

He lampooned President Muhammadu Buhari as a misfit in the interview, promising to offer an unprecedented leadership for a people he said had never been lucky with leaders since its independence in 1960.

“If there is anything we have learned in the last few years, it is the fact that the Nigerian electorate has become impatient with purposeless leadership,” Mr. Sowore said.

To actualise his ambition, he vowed to pursue a relentless mobilisation of Nigerians to rally behind his message for a new Nigeria.

“It will be the largest mobilisation of Nigeria’s ignored and dispossessed people,” Mr. Sowore said. “It will be the most direct engagement of a people in their own political future.”

Crowdfunding via channels like GoFundMe is one of the earliest but critical stages of Mr. Sowore’s campaign, although the activist said he had not identified a political platform under which he would run.

The Nigerian Constitution has no provisions for independent candidacy, although efforts to change this are currently part of the ongoing process to amend the Constitution.

GoFundMe did not immediately respond to PREMIUM TIMES e-mail seeking comments about the development Wednesday night.

But notwithstanding the reservations of GoFundMe against Mr. Sowore or the outcome of the dispute, the Sahara Reporters publisher strongly believes in his ability to see his ambition through.

“There is no going back!” He said in a Facebook update informing his followers of the development shortly after 11:00 a.m. Wednesday.

https://diasporareporters.com/2019-gofundme-suspends-omoyele-sowores-campaign-raise-2million/

5 Likes

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by 2horsePOWER(m): 9:41am On Mar 15, 2018
Jethrolite:
It is just a minor hitch. He should create a proper website containing his manifesto and how he intends to actualize it if voted by breaking the manifesto into SMART goals and milestones them cap it up with PayPal, bitcoin, ethereum and other further funding means. Gofundme is just one avenue, if he had it listed with the other options I stated then it will be an inconsequential setback.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Homeboiy: 9:45am On Mar 15, 2018
Ok
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Kundagarten: 9:46am On Mar 15, 2018
They've only succeeded in giving him more publicity. Many people didn't know of this, now his gofundme account is going to soar.
Buhari must leave next year.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by chuksjuve(m): 9:51am On Mar 15, 2018
Political yahoo yahoo

You can't eat your cake and have it..

Gofundme knows that dude is not near a presidential candidate material..

He's a disgrace to journalism..

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Caustics: 9:58am On Mar 15, 2018
angry this eediot wants to reap where he did not sow. God is alive

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Bari22: 10:00am On Mar 15, 2018
Na joke he dey joke

Sowore only want gather some funds and run away

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by shadrach77: 10:00am On Mar 15, 2018
Sw
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by ybalogs(m): 10:00am On Mar 15, 2018
2 Million ginni? Sowore don see say the easiest way to show face in Forbes list is Politics.

6 Likes

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by ybalogs(m): 10:01am On Mar 15, 2018
Bari22:
Na joke he dey joke
it must be
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by LAFO: 10:01am On Mar 15, 2018
Some people will say Buhari wrote GoFundMe to stop the campaign

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by SouthSouth1914: 10:01am On Mar 15, 2018
This will only make him popular!!
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Nwogeh: 10:02am On Mar 15, 2018
Keep moving my man, you will still win at the end.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by shadrach77: 10:03am On Mar 15, 2018
9ja we hail thee. Saraki, Atiku and the likes are scared so they've used their international connection to block his fund raising campaign. Only a revolution can save Nigeria undecided tongue

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Nobody: 10:03am On Mar 15, 2018
Please protect gofundme from yahoo boys, that is the common man's last hope.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Iscoalarcon: 10:03am On Mar 15, 2018
Barawon Banza stylishly collecting money from gullible Nigerians grin grin
Who will vote for him
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Oblitz(m): 10:03am On Mar 15, 2018
As much as i dislike this guy, I think he is intelligent.
i like his courage

6 Likes

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by hypnotic(m): 10:04am On Mar 15, 2018
Karma came early
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Ganiz(m): 10:04am On Mar 15, 2018
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by ybalogs(m): 10:04am On Mar 15, 2018
Abeg nairaland me sef wan raise just 100 Million to kick off my I don't even know which post. We can do it . Yayyyy
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by yeyeboi(m): 10:04am On Mar 15, 2018
Ok
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Iscoalarcon: 10:04am On Mar 15, 2018
Nwogeh:
Keep moving my man, you will still win at the end.
how undecided elaborate
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Nobody: 10:04am On Mar 15, 2018
Shebi today he wants to raise 2billion dollars. When Gej was raising his during the last presidential elections his media were talking trash up and down. Ntoor tongue

3 Likes

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by NothingDoMe: 10:04am On Mar 15, 2018
Nawao
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Jeel: 10:05am On Mar 15, 2018
ok
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Ademat7(m): 10:05am On Mar 15, 2018
do u think he can't do it? i'm sure you don't know the president
LAFO:
Some people will say Buhari wrote GoFundMe to stop the campaign
Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Nobody: 10:06am On Mar 15, 2018
So I can open the gofundme and solicit for dollars Perhaps furnish one nice pity story? shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by Jethrolite(m): 10:08am On Mar 15, 2018
It is just a minor hitch. He should create a proper website containing his manifesto and how he intends to actualize it if voted by breaking the manifesto into SMART goals and milestones them cap it up with PayPal, bitcoin, ethereum and other further funding means. Gofundme is just one avenue, if he had it listed with the other options I stated then it will be an inconsequential setback.

5 Likes

Re: Gofundme Suspends Omoyele Sowore’s Campaign To Raise $2million For 2019 Election by diasporaman(m): 10:08am On Mar 15, 2018
It serves him right. Sowore has brought shame to journalism with his love for money. He is under a curse, nothing will ever work for him unless he appologizes to Apostle Johnson Suleman

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dauda Birma Dies In Yola / Adamawa Is Nigeria's Least Developed State / Ojukwu's Eldest Son Sues Bianca & Other Family Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.