Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,727 members, 7,955,753 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:21 PM

Why Do Nigerians Confuse Bride Price And Dowry. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Confuse Bride Price And Dowry. (1771 Views)

N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others / James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Confuse Bride Price And Dowry. by Noblefreeman(m): 10:17am On Mar 15, 2018
I usually get information's online and I also hear people talk and many a times they call dowry instead of bride price. What exactly are these two things?.
Bride price is paid or brought by the grooms family to the brides family and this tradition is predominant in Africa and Europe.
Now what is dowry
Dowry is just the exact opposite of bride price in the sense that it is brought by the brides family to the grooms family and this tradition too is common in Asia id India �� in particular.
I was reading a post today about what to know if one wants to marry a fulani woman and he said dowry, calling it what the grooms family bring.
I hope I have been able to enlighten a few of us after all knowledge is power.

Lala abet help us carry am go heaven

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Bride Price And Dowry. by correctguy101(m): 10:27am On Mar 15, 2018
Someone is speaking Nigerian English and you're confusing matters here....

Dowry can also be bride price but it's mostly a bride's family payment to the groom's family.

English and their wahala sef....

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Bride Price And Dowry. by eTECTIVe(m): 10:32am On Mar 15, 2018
D way some of U rush to open threads wen U think U have discovered Mungo Park afta coming across a random post online is irritating... U are a Nigerian and have always known d 2 to b one and d same.. If U have to correct Ppl den U shld do so without d "Why do Nigerians confuse Dowry and bride price"..
Moreover Dowry isnt paid to d grooms family but given to d gal by her family at her wedding..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Bride Price And Dowry. by spiralwedge(m): 11:06pm On Mar 17, 2018
Actually the two is same in modern English usage
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Bride Price And Dowry. by BabaRamota1980: 11:47pm On Mar 17, 2018
We are not confused in Yorubaland. Dowry is not the same as bride price.
This topic has been discussed many times here.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do You Have Role Models? Who Are They? / Yoruba Lakotun At Ethnic Heritage Centre / Who Are The Idoma?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.