Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,392 members, 7,819,404 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

An Open Letter To All Postgraduate Students In Africa - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / An Open Letter To All Postgraduate Students In Africa (434 Views)

NITDA Awards Scholarship To 92 Nigerian Postgraduate Students For 2017/18 / The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo / NOUN Lists Requirements For Postgraduate Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To All Postgraduate Students In Africa by hipinnacle: 10:20pm On Mar 17, 2018
An Open Letter to all Postgraduate Students in Africa

To all "co-postgraduate students", I am on my knee pleading with you; stop wasting your time, it won't work, your research won't matter, it will definitely be a waste of time as it has always been.

What for? Why waste your great years wasting away. If your research does not focus on "strictly #socioeconomic solutions", drop it and go get a job.

I am sick and tired relating with #postgraduates and keep hearing the same thing: government is not sponsoring research and no infrastructure to carryout research in Nigeria. How I wish I can travel out and do my research? What the heck! And we keep knocking our head on it, do we want to get knockout? The time is ticking...

Let me tell you the essence of research in a nutshell. It is either it is tendering towards solving a societal problem, creating a meaningful solution or at least initiating curiosity. Don't you get it? At least people should be able to ask questions; what if you do it like this? What is the impact? Can it be commercialized? Does it solve a peculiar or simple problem. If no, drop it! No need of just ticking the attendance and making people feeling you are busy when you know within yourself you are wasting your time.

Why must we keep making the same mistakes, and after the whole MBA, Master or #PhD degree, we ask ourselves the damning question; what for?

For you not to ask yourself what for and keep regretting your action for the rest of your life, ask yourself if your research is answering this questions:

1. Can I make business out of my research? That is, can I leverage my research to startup or build businesses that can create jobs and wealths just like Google, Facebook, Uber, Dropbox, or #agromerchant

2. Do I have a company that is interested in investing in my invention when am done? If your research is not investments or grant worthy, drop it.

3. Do I have the instinct that what am doing will satisfy either of the two above even if there are none for now? If you are not so sure that what you are doing will lead to revolution, innovation or renovations, why waste time on it?

If you and your research work is not within the hemisphere of any of those three questions above.... You are just another dumb gathering papers and certifications to decorate the wall of your apartment. Repent today because #Africa need you urgently to either create or disrupt and not another classroom lecturer with nothing tangible to offer.

Working hard in #Nigeria is hell, adding not well defined project to it, it is worst...

Olalekan Bankole Emmanuel is an inspirational #entrepreneur and a PhD student scouting and working with young investors to create and make Africa great. He is also the author, www.speakerbankole.com.ng

Keep sharing, you might be helping young and confused graduates contemplating going for postgraduate without #purpose
Re: An Open Letter To All Postgraduate Students In Africa by ameri9ja: 5:24am On Mar 18, 2018
See mumu.

(1) (Reply)

. / SAT Exam Classes In Lagos? / What University Course Would Best Prepare Someone To Be A CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.