Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,166 members, 7,811,377 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? (26617 Views)

Funny Superstitious Beliefs Of Nigerians About Animals / Tricks You Played On Your Parents And Got Away With As A Child. / Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by olu4life(m): 12:32pm On Sep 25, 2012
My mom regularly says, dont disrespect those older than u. Anywhere u find ur self in life,just appreciate God no matter the level. And the funny one i love; dont seperate church cloth and ones for outing. If God provided u money for those for outing,why cant u put them on to church to appreciate Him [normally said in yoruba and damn funny]
Dad: I know u are stubborn and at the same time u caring and open. Dont let pride destroy u
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by olempe(m): 12:35pm On Sep 25, 2012
hustla242: Upon all the moral values instilled in us, where are we as a nation. I'm sorry but truth be told, we're the biggest hypocrites in the world. We preach a lot of morality and spirituality, but when it comes to putting it into practice we (and our parents) are no where to be found.

Just my own opinion

Smh for ur opinion brother...
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 25, 2012
My dad is very passionate about us succeeding so he preaches that to me and my siblings literally everyday. There is never a discussion that never ends up in "and this is why you must never fail". His big quote is Proverbs 6:10-11, "A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest and poverty will come on you like a thief and scarcity like an armed man."
Mom: Prayer is the key, prayer is the key, prayer is the master key. Jesus started with prayer and ended with prayer, prayer is the master key.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by flow1759: 12:46pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mum & dad - Respect God, never kiss ass (even if its a female ass), don't cheat on her, respect d law of land
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mum: neva accept NO 4 an ans & work for your money, life is evriday struggle. And a man remains the head. Anyday, anytime.

Dad: be kind, be respectful to both ur younger ones & elders.

And they both taught us to be vry GENEROUS wit our time, love and money.

1 Like

Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 25, 2012
My mother instilled the value of generosity and charity by her example. She also taught me to treat other people the way that I would want to be treated. If anyone said anything bad about a person or a group of people, she would turn it around by pointing out their good qualities or what made them act the way that they did. She was slow to harshly judge anyone.THATS MY MUM FOR YA!! cool

Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 25, 2012
My mum taught me never to depend on anyone especially a man.
To treat others the way I want to be treated.

My dad taught me never to be intimidated by anyone.
That I'm just as good as everyother person.
And most impotantly, how to command peoples respect.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by ceeceeco: 1:18pm On Sep 25, 2012
My dad told me not to be carried away by material/earthly things, that this life's a circle, the things i'm seeing today, i'll still see them in a more advanced way in years to come. Suffer before pleasure, for what goes around comes around.

1 Like

Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by kaykad: 1:39pm On Sep 25, 2012
mine was fiogbo ologbon se ogbon...learn from other peoples mistake
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by belemzy: 1:56pm On Sep 25, 2012
My dad always taught,that we should never stand betwen any1 and their progress. Mom always says kamar isalways there to remind you of all you've done. PAST ,PRESENT AND FUTURE.Live your life one day @ a time.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by God2man(m): 2:29pm On Sep 25, 2012
Naijagal12: It could be words of wisdom from your parent/s or something you learned through life experience and you wanna pass-on to your kids.  My Mother instilled in me the values of kindness, generosity and self-respect. She is a die hard Christian and I admire her tremendously for her spiritual strength and belief in God. She pointed out how easy it is to get caught up in looking for blessing and not God himself and how I shouldn't fold at first sign of tribulation but rather face/deal with my problems head-on because God doesn't give you more than you can bear. She also taught me the importance of putting myself in someone else's shoes,  treat other people the way that I wanna be treated and not to harshly judge people. . . I have to admit, it's hard sometimes  grin.

My Father is a man of few words but he once said that "Jealousy is a sickness of the soul because it eats your spirit up slowly to a point where you don't recognize who you are"--- this stuck with me. As a result, I don't waste my energy comparing myself to other people---whether it's financially, intellectually or physically. I've learned to channel my energy towards positive things and the gifts that God has blessed me with.  People don't realize that while they're too busy being jealous or hating other people for what they have, life is passing them by. If you let jealousy become the center of your life, it's almost impossible to achieve your goals because your dominant thoughts are about other people and you begin to think less of yourself.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by God2man(m): 2:32pm On Sep 25, 2012
Freiburger: The secret of being happy is making sure people around you are happy, i learnt this my irreplacable mum.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by delta234: 2:41pm On Sep 25, 2012
MUM:to be content with what i have(this has helped me not to envy,feel less of myself,not being greedy et al) This does not mean not striving for the best things in life.
DAD:NEVER giving up on goals no matter the challenges(says falling down's not the problem;but the ability to rise and continue!) He's ma role model.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by kodewrita(m): 4:18pm On Sep 25, 2012
Dad:
If someone's being unnecessarily nice, wait for the silent request afterwards, it will always come.
You dont harvest money on trees and therefore ALL men must have budgets. I repeat, a man must have a budget.
Dont leave your work till tomorrow.
Plan weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually.
Dont lie (instilled with a whip).
Fight for whats yours ( Go back and collect your toy from him. Right now!!!!!!)
A man may choose to ignore any other area but must go the extra mile for his children (observed, appreciated and forever respected).AKA Give your kids the unfair advantage :-)
One thing at a time.
Never owe and if you have to, pay up ahead of/on deadline.
Dont expect anyone's gratitude, its a perishable commodity. Do things because you want to not out of expectation.
Be generous.
A man's reputation can save his life.
There's work. There's politics. Both important. all tools in the bag.
A man should know how to kill a chicken, cut meat, descale fish, squeeze agbada, pound yam, put on heavy diesel gens, supervise carpenters/mechanics, read meter/challenge nepa/phcn, prime water pumps, tune tv etc.
How-to-read-a-textbook( Finish a chapter a week)

Mum:
You must never be a burden to your siblings EVER. Keep that in mind always.
God is all we have.
You are not inferior to any. They may be richer, more beautiful/handsome but you are not their inferior. EVER.
Work all the time you work. Play all the time you play. Dont mix the two.
Never compromise your integrity especially where money and relationships are concerned.
Dont talk too much, learn how to keep secrets.
contrast: Never ever owe.
Never gamble, its a hereditary reason, we dont win lotteries grin
before Politics come hard work. Politics is usually the final refuge of the incompetent and lazy.
As long as you dont seek your fellow man's downfall, God will have your back.

i could go on and on.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by superior1: 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2012
Dont eat meat before you finish your eba

1 Like

Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Lalaska(m): 5:30pm On Sep 25, 2012
Lalaska: This guy is power hungry. How many lives has he affected with all the money he has stolen? If you cannot make an impact where you are, you wont make any difference even when you become the President of the United States
Sorry, this was meant for another post
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Lalaska(m): 5:33pm On Sep 25, 2012
My mum thought me to be meticulous and acoid unnecessary mistakes. She also taught me to be enterprising and avoid being wasteful

My dad thought me how not to keep late nights.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by dhappyking(m): 5:39pm On Sep 25, 2012
In my family, my parents said these without necessarily using words;

1.Honesty is the best policy; They taught us to say the truth, no matter the consequences.
2.Hard work pays;They taught us to give it our all and that delayed gratification is the way to go.
3.Generosity comes back with rewards; They taught us to share whatever little we had. And when we did not have any thing physical to share, to give positive and kind words to the one in need.

I thank God for them. They made it easier for me to adopt this as a guiding principle for happiness in life.
'I AM ALWAYS POSITIVE, TRUTHFUL AND HELPING OTHERS'
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:55pm On Sep 25, 2012
FATHER: The woman is the head of the house.. The man is the head of the home..
FATHER: Never take sides in public with anyone against your wife.. Not even your children..
FATHER: Hardwork... Hardwork.. Hardwork..
FATHER: Humility... Dosent make you any less of a man than you are..

MY MOTHER: All non-family members are the enemy until proven otherwise..
MOTHER: F[uc]k all y'all...
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Olumogun: 6:13pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mum = 1. Whatever help you give to others will come back to you.
2. Never compare yourself to another person, it is a proof of inferiority
3. If you are not ready to eat something, don't smell it.
4. Strive to have a better life than your ancestors, and train your children in future to be be better than you

Dad = 1. Be careful. A man can be lonely and 'naked' in the midst of many family and 'friends'
2. A good name is better than riches without honour
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by sucre2(m): 6:36pm On Sep 25, 2012
This is from my dad.
There's no wealth greater than knowledge and there's no calamity greater than ignorance. Make sure you strive to be the best you can be.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by tnktosin(m): 7:30pm On Sep 25, 2012
Dad told me to trust but always verify, Mum taught me never to make a promise I can never fulfil, especially with ladies. They're my heroes.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Mekozoral: 7:58pm On Sep 25, 2012
Reverse is the case as to mine,no moral values from my parents instead they learnt from me embarassed embarassed God himself thought me, I still love them though
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Emary(f): 8:36pm On Sep 25, 2012
My priorities are God first, family then work or any other activities. I would drop anything in a heartbeat for my family. I also learnt independence, hardwork and generosity from them. Even though we were quite comfortable, My tough grandmother raised me to be able to sleep on the floor, cook with charcoal and firewood, nurse several kids and clean a one-storey top to bottom. I cannot tell you how strong those survival skills have made me. My mum was an educationist to the core who drove me to excel and I really thank her for that.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 26, 2012
superior1: Dont eat meat before you finish your eba
Lol. I think a lot of parents here in nigeria taught their children that.
But I no dey do am again. I go first bite my meat sef before I eat my food. grin
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Ninilowo(m): 9:04pm On Sep 26, 2012
Just be plain and good.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by fitnesslover1(m): 3:29am On Sep 27, 2012
i think we all have to think for ourselves and create our own belief and moral system
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by tpia5: 7:33pm On Dec 14, 2013
fitnesslover1: i think we all have to think for ourselves and create our own belief and moral system

not if the 'beliefs and moral system' stems from the gutter.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Highlights Of Money Rituals In Nigeria - VastFinder / Security Guard Electrocuted In Edo. / Biography Of Oyo 2019 PDP Guber Candidate,seyi Makinde|wife Tamunominni Makinde

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.