Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,130 members, 7,811,194 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn (13305 Views)

How Do You Hold Your Steering Wheel While Driving? / Byton's M-byte Is The 1st Production Car To Have A Touchscreen On Steering Wheel / GM To Release Cars With No Steering Wheel In 2019 (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by AutoReportNG: 7:33am On Mar 20, 2018
[img]https://3.bp..com/-n77n4hngR3k/WrCpTGsynlI/AAAAAAAAPew/nOOfCSyWkl8ndLXPPPf2yQdoSORr_Rz_QCLcBGAs/s640/danfo-driving-success-ventures-3.jpg[/img]

Have you ever how those danfo drivers in Lagos manage to steer their wheel? If you are opportune to sit close to a danfo driver, you will marvel at the dexterity they display in control the bus, some sterlings are as old as Nigeria itself.

The steering system is an important part of the control mechanism of a vehicle. It provides control over the direction the driver wants to guide the car. A problem like steering wheel hard to turn is dangerous because it can lead to accidents when you are driving on a highway or a street filled with cars or people. Just imagine a situation when you need to change lanes or take a turn but steering wheel sticks or moves slowly. It could be a deadly situation if you are driving on a treacherous, mountainous road.

Steering Wheel Hard to Turn – What Are the Reasons?

Irregular maintenance and late servicing coupled with the wearing off of some components are the reasons of the stiff steering wheel. It’s important to know about them as it will help you to spot the signs early and take the car to servicing before they become worse.

Tire Pressure

Surprisingly, bad air pressure could be a cause for steering wheel hard to turn. Improper tire pressure, especially deflated tires, can trigger this problem. All the tires of your vehicle should have been inflated according to the manufacturer’s recommended PSI.

Also, the front-end alignment is another important thing. Uneven wear on the front tires will make your car pull to a side while driving or taking a turn. Uneven tire tread leads to misalignment of the wheels, which can also a reason that triggers hard and stiff steering at the time of making turns on the road.

Bad Steering Rack

The steering rack is connected to the wheel through a series of shafts and U-joints. These parts and the rack itself get damaged and worn simply because of everyday driving. If you find the stiffed wheel just after starting the car, the problem is definitely with the steering rack. The wheel will gradually feel free to move when you continue driving. It happens because the rack gets hotter with the running of the engine, allowing the lubricant to settle in. you can keep driving with this condition but leaving the deteriorated rack as it is will escalate the problem.

Damaged Serpentine Belt

Another common cause of steering wheel hard to turn is a cracked or broken serpentine belt. The belt gets worn out over time because it works all the time when you drive the car. The wheel starts showing the sign of stiffness when the belt begins to erode and becomes loose. Delaying the repair or replacement will cause the belt to break, making the steering wheel to go kaput.

Fluid Leakage

Inadequate level of fluid in the steering system is another top reason. It happens when the pressurized hose area develops a leak or gets loose. Fluid leaks through that crack, leading to reducing pressure in the system and drying out the pump. As a result, the wheel does not get enough supply of fluid to perform freely.

Pump Malfunction

Along with the fluid, the pump also has a major role in creating the right amount of pressure in the power steering system. If the pump gets damaged or stops working for any reason, it will be difficult to turn the steering wheel. An impaired pump will not stall the wheel completely. You will still be able to move it but it will need much more effort, which could be dangerous when you need to take a sharp turn on the road.

Thick Fluid

Like all other types of fluid in a vehicle, the power steering fluid also collects dirt and debris over time. It becomes too thick to flow freely and lubricate all the parts of the system if you don’t change it within the specified period. It especially causes steering wheel hard to turn at low speeds. The only solution is to flush the old fluid out of the system and refill it with new, fresh liquid.

Steering Wheel Hard to Turn at Low Speeds

The problem of steering wheel hard to turn becomes most noticeable when you are driving at low speeds because most people lower the car’s speed while making a turn. When this issue occurs, you could be certain that there is a glitch in your power steering system. It could be the fluid, pump, or the serpentine belt. All of these things work together to reduce the resistance of the wheel at the time of turning. When any or all of these things fail to function properly, you will experience a stiff steering wheel because of the high-level of resistance.

Regular maintenance and scheduled servicing are the best ways to keep your car free of this problem. You should check the fluid level at regular intervals. Also, make sure to have the power steering system diagnosed every time you send the car to a servicing shop for the schedule checkup.

Source
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/03/reasons-why-steering-wheel-always-hard.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by AutoReportNG: 7:34am On Mar 20, 2018
Whats your take?
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by eTECTIVe(m): 7:56am On Mar 20, 2018
U covered basically every scenario responsible for strong /hard steering .. It's mostly a steering pump/rack issue which starts off with leakages at first... I was basically gyming with d steering sometime ago wen we had a similar issue. And it seems d steering hardly ever returns to it's initial free state afta changing d rack...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 27, 2018
Lalasticlala do the needful

Thanks @OP
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by yeman1(m): 3:58pm On Mar 27, 2018
Í change my power steering pump, still hard to turn.. d mechanic said it was d steering rack, he open d main rack underneath and wash it with petrol and couple it back .. breed it but still hard . He said he doesn't know what can cause it again. Pls what can I do ??
Its hondal halls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by ricki: 4:16pm On Mar 27, 2018
AutoReportNG:
[img]https://3.bp..com/-n77n4hngR3k/WrCpTGsynlI/AAAAAAAAPew/nOOfCSyWkl8ndLXPPPf2yQdoSORr_Rz_QCLcBGAs/s640/danfo-driving-success-ventures-3.jpg[/img]

Steering Wheel Hard to Turn – What Are the Reasons?

Tire Pressure

Bad Steering Rack

Damaged Serpentine Belt

Fluid Leakage

Pump Malfunction

Thick Fluid

Steering Wheel Hard to Turn at Low Speeds

Source
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/03/reasons-why-steering-wheel-always-hard.html

Electricicity streering nko fa.......sorry I meant electric steering system!

Mine died on me last 3 weeks. it was rock hard like person wey use 2.5 bottle of alomo bitter.

went to the stealer (sorry dealer) and dem say £1500 for a new one...... i said dia mamma for village dey craze. bought one for 120£ it even came from 2017 model but used. fitted for 160£ (naija man mechanic reap me off) no wahala.

now fitted grin

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Treasure1919(f): 5:32pm On Mar 27, 2018
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Flexherbal(m): 5:33pm On Mar 27, 2018
Taken !
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Gangster1ms: 5:34pm On Mar 27, 2018
Rust embarassed
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Promxy94(m): 5:35pm On Mar 27, 2018
My Camry 01 steering is hard to turn but get free as I accelerate the vehicle.
My mech said its the rack, wen I asked him how much, he said the rack is expensive either 20-25k.....
I said OK.... Never they think of to change am as the car no be everyday use.
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by merits(m): 5:37pm On Mar 27, 2018
good
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Teeboi56: 5:40pm On Mar 27, 2018
Comment later
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by victorazyvictor(m): 5:45pm On Mar 27, 2018
eTECTIVe:
U covered basically every scenario responsible for strong /hard steering .. It's mostly a steering pump/rack issue which starts off with leakages at first... I was basically gyming with d steering sometime ago wen we had a similar issue. And it seems d steering hardly ever returns to it's initial free state afta changing d rack...

Mine developed my chest then grin
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by victorazyvictor(m): 5:48pm On Mar 27, 2018
Promxy94:
My Camry 01 steering is hard to turn but get free as I accelerate the vehicle.
My mech said its the rack, wen I asked him how much, he said the rack is expensive either 20-25k.....
I said OK.... Never they think of to change am as the car no be everyday use.

As you accelerate?
That should be pump not wrack.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Nwaohafia1: 5:48pm On Mar 27, 2018
Thick fluid? Is that why i have been having hard steering? Gonna change it asap
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by adioolayi(m): 5:57pm On Mar 27, 2018
My car Camry 2007 xle giving me headache as the Anti-theft detterent systems triggers irregularly (Not by touch, vibration or noise)..Just on its own. It is causing environmental pollution....Please help!!!!
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by eTECTIVe(m): 6:02pm On Mar 27, 2018
victorazyvictor:

Mine developed my chest then grin
Lolzzz ... Na wen U need to make a turn u go brace urself being flex muscle
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by frizzy092(m): 6:03pm On Mar 27, 2018
OK.thanks bye

Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Promxy94(m): 6:15pm On Mar 27, 2018
victorazyvictor:

As you accelerate?
That should be pump not wrack.
Yes its free when u accelerate, u can even use one hand in turning it... But when u de-accelerate, it becomes stiff that to make a u turn, u have to use to hands to control the steering

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by victorazyvictor(m): 7:59pm On Mar 27, 2018
Promxy94:

Yes its free when u accelerate, u can even use one hand in turning it... But when u de-accelerate, it becomes stiff that to make a u turn, u have to use to hands to control the steering

I guess is pump, it doesn't have much compression
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Promxy94(m): 8:01pm On Mar 27, 2018
victorazyvictor:

I guess is pump, it doesn't have much compression
Ok thanks so please do u know the price for the steering pump for Camry 2001
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by victorazyvictor(m): 8:49pm On Mar 27, 2018
Promxy94:

Ok thanks so please do u know the price for the steering pump for Camry 2001

Nop, but it should be less than 10k
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Promxy94(m): 9:33pm On Mar 27, 2018
victorazyvictor:

Nop, but it should be less than 10k
Thanks for ur time I really appreciate
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Larryfest(m): 9:39pm On Mar 27, 2018
eTECTIVe:

Lolzzz ... Na wen U need to make a turn u go brace urself being flex muscle
The tin dey embarrass me for turning no be small as dos danfo guys go begin shout " my car u carry bed come sleep for road?"..but i think mine as to be pump probs cos as soon as i accelerate everything is back to normal.
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Talibanis: 9:43pm On Mar 27, 2018
Failed to mention Steering Rack!
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Owohfasa(m): 10:08pm On Mar 27, 2018
yeman1:
Í change my power steering pump, still hard to turn.. d mechanic said it was d steering rack, he open d main rack underneath and wash it with petrol and couple it back .. breed it but still hard . He said he doesn't know what can cause it again. Pls what can I do ??
Its hondal halls.
all items listed above by the poster are correct but I will recommend u try another visit my workshop at Ikorodu if it's not too far from ur area. I have resolved similar complain for different customers in different times. I can't tell u from far to change d pump or hose alone and assure u result except I see d car and trouble shoot it myself to ascertain d defective component. As an auto technician, av noticed that most mechanic don't even now how to bleed a power steering effectively with their 20yrs experience. visit www.hitechautos.org to know more about what us and avoid try ur luck or road side mechanic.
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by LeJeun3: 10:57pm On Mar 27, 2018
adioolayi:
My car Camry 2007 xle giving me headache as the Anti-theft detterent systems triggers irregularly (Not by touch, vibration or noise)..Just on its own. It is causing environmental pollution....Please help!!!!

Check Bonnet switch...

Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by adioolayi(m): 3:11am On Mar 28, 2018
LeJeun3:

Check Bonnet switch...
Thanks
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Nobody: 6:31am On Mar 28, 2018
[quote author=adioolayi post=66207645]My car Camry 2007 xle giving me headache as the Anti-theft detterent systems triggers irregularly (Not by touch, vibration or noise)..Just on its own. It is causing environmental pollution....Please help!
the batteries and damaged immobilizer chips can cause anti-theft devices to stop working properly
Re: Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn by Diesel10(m): 8:17am On Mar 28, 2018
ricki:

Do you mind giving me links to where you got the electric steering rack from. Abeg

Electricicity streering nko fa.......sorry I meant electric steering system!

Mine died on me last 3 weeks. it was rock hard like person wey use 2.5 bottle of alomo bitter.

went to the stealer (sorry dealer) and dem say £1500 for a new one...... i said dia mamma for village dey craze. bought one for 120£ it even came from 2017 model but used. fitted for 160£ (naija man mechanic reap me off) no wahala.

now fitted grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? / Petrol Scarcity Again? It's Time For Nigerians To Go Electric / Third Mainland Crash: ‘I Was Not Speeding’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.