Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo (42820 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Grass Is Not Greener On The Other Side By Abdulrazaq Hamzat / Flood Ravages Imo, Orsu Obodo, Oguta. 60 Homes Submerged (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Greatzeus(m): 5:26pm On Mar 20, 2018
Prof you Know all these cos
Sir what if he isn't really having money problem per say,what if he's gradually backing off the relationship

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:26pm On Mar 20, 2018
nextstep:
The simple truth is this: yes, Nigeria is tough - hellish some would say - but there are many people here living very good lives here, actually LIVING. When I see people come home from Western countries, it's like they are not alive. They may be comfortable, but they are in the same cycle of work, tax, debt, work, tax, debt with little chance to really LIVE. They may come and do shakara during Christmas, but at the end of the day, it's money they will spend the next 1 year paying off, with interest.

There are some who manage to break the cycle, perhaps investing back home or building a house, but from my understanding it's quite a soul-less and isolating existence.

Those who go abroad usually have gathered nearly 2million Naira for ticket, visa, living expenses. Just to go and drive taxi or be a nurse? That same 2million has launched many people out of poverty in this "sh1thole". Material wealth and comfort does not mean you're LIVING... I would like to be able to visit there frequently like some people I know, but not really reside.

I just wish we would see the incredible opportunities that foreigners are coming to find here...
you sound like a privilegded citizen with a high quality connected network circle. some people who were born and bred here are living like 4th class depressed, lonely, wretched citizens.

4 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by AZeD1(m): 5:28pm On Mar 20, 2018
eedreez505:

Wow! Good to know. Guess our have a family there already. I took nearly 2 years though.
Yeah sort off, plus I had left Nigeria to school then came back to Nigeria to work, then left again so I was prepared.

3 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by emmanuelpopson(m): 5:32pm On Mar 20, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
oya comot naija na

you remembered one song on TV some Years ago...

eyin oyinbo, e wa fun mi no visa, ilu yii su mi e wa fun mi no visa...kin ma Ku ooo,e wa fun.mi.ni visa...ebi yii poju,e wa fun mi ni visa,iyan yii poju....
the guy received the visa and Jaaa out of naija...maybe if they give you mere 6 months to see USA or Germany, you won't take the leap...
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Nobody: 5:32pm On Mar 20, 2018
I rather stay in my shithole as they call it, am super comfortable with no problems whatsoever.

I just find strange how people even enjoy living their whole life in a strange land with yellow people who seem to tax you for every damn thing

9 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Greatzeus(m): 5:35pm On Mar 20, 2018
brunofarad:
All these tales ain't true

You can't compare life abroad to Nigeria
For example, something as little as steady and free internet in America or Europe is enough to change your life for good if you know how to harness the opportunity internet offers.

When they said there is money in the streets of America, they actually meant it.

But it comes as opportunities which you have to harness.
See your mouth like free internet, America is a capitalists economy, every thing is privatized except for those that has to do with security. So owners of broadband internet will share it free right? Who will bear the cost?
Internet is far more expensive in America and Europe than in Nigeria. The only difference is they enjoy unlimited broadband access and high data speed.

15 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Chigorkizz(m): 5:35pm On Mar 20, 2018
sonnie10:
Not very true. There are bills, in fact lots of bills but you are able to pay if you are not lazy.
Opportunities are there is you are ready to work hard
However if you put the same effort in whatever you are doing in Nigeria, you will still make it.

Are wheelbarrow pushers not putting same effort in pushing wheelbarrow? How many of them made it here?
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Ishilove: 5:36pm On Mar 20, 2018
nemynely:
I smelt prof. Pius in the write up even before I saw his name at the end. Nice write up though it doesn't apply to all who plan to exit this shithole! A thoroughbred professional who is licenced to practice abroad will continue to live in affluence all his life over there whilst being able to pick up his/her bills without batting an eyelid.
Bottom line is be legit in all you do. If you migrate legally, chances that you will settle down quickly are much higher.
@ishilove - nice you acknowledged the original source.
I'm a writer myself. Intellectual property theft is a taboo

3 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Veetee(m): 5:36pm On Mar 20, 2018
The truth is its definetely not the way it seems, its just that most nigerians are embarrased about the idea of coming back
the only way to live comfortably abroad is if you are a professional. or you are into the life of crime. I have a friend in texas, he has a pretty ok job, not a professional one, but its still not ok for him because he went abroad with his wife and kid. he opened up to me that he is into crime
he gives account to yahoo guys back home here to able their magas send money into it and then he takes a certain percentage and sends the rest, he is aware its a risky venture because one day the law will catch up with him, u cant get away with crime in a civilized society like america for that long, its only a matter of time, they will painstakenly( and quietly) investigate you. he is doing very well at the moment. in a less than a year abroad he is building a personal house in ajah and benin at the same time, also setting up some businesses too, he struggled while he was in nigeria, even with rent..with debts here and there.. he is abroad now doing fine, but not with total peace of mind, but man must survive
if you have a friend or relative abroad, if he is not into crime or does not have a professional job, PLEASE DO NOT EXPECT MUCH FROM HIM.it will take some while for him to things right over there, there are so many bills to pay and you cant avoid it there unlike in nigeria, you pay for virtually everything u enjoy abroad, some other guys are living off old white women there too, taking so many bull shits until they get their papers, it is well

12 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by eedreez505: 5:37pm On Mar 20, 2018
AZeD1:

Yeah sort off, plus I had left Nigeria to school then came back to Nigeria to work, then left again so I was prepared.

Okay. I left for PhD studies, will be returning back on completion of my program.

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 20, 2018
The West is no place for foreign hustlers and corner cutters. End of story

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 20, 2018
eedreez505:

You can trust the grass is not always greener.
we will manage it like that tongue. That's what they always say, make dem come house dem nor go come undecided

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:39pm On Mar 20, 2018
emmanuelpopson:

you remembered one song on TV some Years ago...

eyin oyinbo, e wa fun mi no visa, ilu yii su mi e wa fun mi no visa...kin ma Ku ooo,e wa fun.mi.ni visa...ebi yii poju,e wa fun mi ni visa,iyan yii poju....
the guy received the visa and Jaaa out of naija...maybe if they give you mere 6 months to see USA or Germany, you won't take the leap...
we're not talking about me
we're talking about you
ask oyinbo to give you visa na
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by emperormossad(m): 5:41pm On Mar 20, 2018
Good one ishilove.
At least cattle will not eat you there
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by wonlasewonimi: 5:41pm On Mar 20, 2018
Greatzeus:

See your mouth like free internet, America is a capitalists economy, every thing is privatized except for those that has to do with security. So owners of broadband internet will share it free right? Who will bear the cost?
Internet is far more expensive in America and Europe than in Nigeria. The only difference is they enjoy unlimited broadband access and high data speed.
If you go to any library abroad my brother Internet is free. You will browse tire. If you go on the underground in London, there are free WiFi available. Go to coffee shops they will write the WiFi password on the board for you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by tosyne2much(m): 5:42pm On Mar 20, 2018
Follygunners:
The problem with African pple is that we're too shallow and mediocre in our thinking. Most 9ja pple residing abroad (Western world / developed nations) come back home to live a premium lifestyle they can hardly afford.

You see them devour a 12-mth saving within a matter of a 2-week vacation in 9ja. Just imagine! They live beyond their means in other to
live/measure-up to the "just-arrived" hype. No be by force. grin They come to 9ja and can no longer take danfo or BRT as a means of transport... like the innocent 9ja folks using it are 2nd-class citizens. They can no longer go to bed without 24/7 A/C.
They come back home to 9ja and can't go back to that wretched 'face-me-I-face-you' abode they once lived in (where their parents and families still live). They move around with an entourage... a personal driver, 'vampire' friends/relatives et al... they can't deal with the shame of seeing their fellow friends that never left 9ja doing great... so they feel the need to at least match-up.

They give the folks back home in 9ja a delusional impression of an imaginary luxury life they live abroad... who now in turn, expect so much from them. Of course, they got to live up to the hype.

Above all.... majority of the culprits are those doing menial/odd jobs living on meager incomes. They're usually like that.. the poorer they are, the dumber they behave. It's called "Poverty Mentality" !

After all is said and done, they go back with huge debt and bills awaiting them... ( I trust 'dem dem' for there) grin grin

I just dey laugh when I dey read this your comment sha cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Follygunners: 5:44pm On Mar 20, 2018
tosyne2much:
I just dey laugh when I dey read this your comment sha cheesy

My Bros... na true true ooo. cool
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by eedreez505: 5:44pm On Mar 20, 2018
frenzyduchess:
we will manage it like that tongue. That's what they always say, make dem come house dem nor go come undecided

Lol. All the best.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by sonnie10: 5:45pm On Mar 20, 2018
Chigorkizz:

Are wheelbarrow pushers not putting same effort in pushing wheelbarrow? How many of them made it here?
You don't have to push truck to make it. I know of someone who started with just 2x 2 shop in Nigeria before I left, now he has a couple of houses in Lagos. Before you think otherwise, he is into honest business

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by xynerise: 5:49pm On Mar 20, 2018
AZeD1:

I used to think like this before till I left Nigeria.

The difference is clearer than 7up.

For starters, no noise pollution.

The reality is Nigeria cannot be compared to America or Europe but most money some rich people spend over there was acquired here in Nigeria.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Coldfeets: 5:51pm On Mar 20, 2018
safarigirl:
They are suffering, they are suffering, but if you tell them to return home, they will act like you wished death upon them

I cannot take them seriously until they start craving to come home. Because bad as e be in the abroad, it cannot be worse than how it is here

May be they don't even have enough money to come back? shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Damzy007: 5:52pm On Mar 20, 2018
You pple like discouraging pple, but that can neva afffect someone like me cos i've already made up my mind to leave this shithole. you claim its not easy to buy a phone of your choice over there but here we keep buying their london and uk used phone. imagine skipping a day meals over here not becos youre lazy but you lack an opportunity of getting a job, you even get the job you get many months of unpaid salary. In my perspective I think everyone is entitled to his or her own's opinion.

11 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by AZeD1(m): 5:53pm On Mar 20, 2018
xynerise:

The reality is Nigeria cannot be compared to America or Europe but most money some rich people spend over there was acquired here in Nigeria.
Aside from oil workers / multinational staff and a few legit business men, how many Nigerians can afford it?

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by xynerise: 5:55pm On Mar 20, 2018
AZeD1:

Aside from oil workers / multinational staff and a few legit business men, how many Nigerians can afford it?
Afford what?
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by AZeD1(m): 5:57pm On Mar 20, 2018
xynerise:

Afford what?
A decent life.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by xynerise: 5:57pm On Mar 20, 2018
AZeD1:

A decent life.

It depends on your definition of a decent life
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Xtargold(f): 6:01pm On Mar 20, 2018
The grass can be green anywhere if properly watered.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by sharpwriter(m): 6:02pm On Mar 20, 2018
eedreez505:

Okay. I left for PhD studies, will be returning back on completion of my program.

Why returning? why can't you stay and get a lecturing job there as a professional? It will pay you na wink

3 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by AZeD1(m): 6:03pm On Mar 20, 2018
xynerise:

That's true.

As someone who has seen both sides of the grass, if you are not well connected in Nigeria and are not earning above 750k a month, my advice would be if you get the opportunity to leave legally, do it.

Leave to a good country not Malaysia or Indonesia and the likes.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:04pm On Mar 20, 2018
xynerise:

he is trying to tell you that only a few % of nigerians can afford a decent life when compared to the developed world, where you will find the world highest concentration of millionaires in $$ o
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by xynerise: 6:06pm On Mar 20, 2018
AZeD1:

That's true.

As someone who has seen both sides of the grass, if you are not well connected in Nigeria and are not earning above 750k a month, my advice would be if you get the opportunity to leave legally, do it.

Leave to a good country not Malaysia or Indonesia and the likes.

750k a month is your own definition of a decent life? shocked

Bruv....grin. That is the good thing about Nigerians..you can see a very happy family living on 80k per month

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by sharpwriter(m): 6:07pm On Mar 20, 2018
Follygunners:

My Bros... na true true ooo. cool
Lolz.. "the poorer they are, the dumber they behave " grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Heavy Rain Causes Terrible Accident In Ebonyi,many Dead,others Injured(graphic) / Lagos-ibadan Railway; An Eye Witness Account / Shiroro Hydro Power Plant, Niger State In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.