Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,865 members, 7,813,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital (12739 Views)

Lady Accuses Hospitals Of Turning C-section To A Profit Making Venture / Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos / Pregnant Woman Dies After Her Pastor Told Her Not To Go For C-Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by CastedAyo: 4:40am On Mar 21, 2018
A new mom and nurse with the Children’s Aid Education and Development Foundation (ACAEDF) in Akwa Ibom, almost died alongside her baby last week.

Anja Ringgren Loven a Danish aid worker and founder of (ACAEDF) recounted her story on Facebook revealing that the new mum was rushed to the hospital as soon as labor started.

Things were normal until it was evident the mother needed to birth her kid via an emergency c-section. The hospital, however, refused to carry out the surgery stating that that day was not the day to carry out surgeries. They were told to wait for two days.

The woman identified simply as Rose called Loven’s husband, who rushed her to a private clinic in the middle of the night, where doctors saved her and her kid.

Read the story below;
"Right now millions of woman are pregnant. The majority of pregnant women reading my update right now are from developed countries were giving birth is safe because of professional care and advanced technology.

When I was pregnant with David Jr. I felt very lucky to be able to give birth in Denmark, where we have the most advanced hospitals in the world. I was surrounded by the best medical team of professional doctors and nurses. If any complications would occur during delivery I would be able to get the best treatment in the world. The chance of neonatal death was very minimal.

I´m lucky. But millions of women all over the world are not as lucky as me.

Every year 3.4 million neonatal deaths occur within the first week of life due to inadequate and inappropriate care during pregnancy, delivery and the first hours after birth.

Maternal mortality is unacceptably high. About 830 women die from pregnancy- or childbirth-related complications around the world every day due to very poor conditions. And almost all maternal deaths (99%) occur in developing countries !

Last week DINNødhjælp/ACAEDF nursing officer Rose, went into labour and was rushed to the hospital.
At first everything was very normal but then unforeseen complications started, and Rose had to deliver through a surgical incision, a cesarean.

But unfortunately for Rose she came to the hospital on one of those days were cesareans are not carried out !!! ��
She was told to wait 2 days !!

This is not breaking news but let me remind you that giving birth is not the same as breaking a leg ! This is a pregnancy and if complications occur the baby AND the mother are at very high risk of dying if the right medical care is not provided !

Rose had to call David and Orok who rushed to the hospital to bring her to a private clinic in the middle of the night. The baby almost died !!

But after many stressful hours of worries, our baby boy finally came to the world on the 10 of March ❤️❤️❤️ He is a little fighter, strong as his mother.

My thoughts to Rose ( I love you ) and to all African women who are the ones suffering the most during pregnancy.

Imagine a world where motherhood is safe for all women.
Can’t wait to hold our little boy in my arms very soon ❤️"

https://www.torimill.com/2018/03/pregnant-woman-need-emergency-c-section-turned-away-hospital.html

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by Nutase: 5:46am On Mar 21, 2018
Ritualistic hospital. Who fixes a day for EMERGENCY surgeries?

9 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by Lexusgs430: 9:29am On Mar 21, 2018
Who go pay the bill?
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by Adebowhales(m): 9:29am On Mar 21, 2018
Ashually, I know no what to say
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by justi4jesu(f): 9:29am On Mar 21, 2018
sad sad
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by Babalawosisfake: 9:30am On Mar 21, 2018
so bad ,I hope God heals her.

mean while nairaland babalawos has been busted as a fake and scammer. check my last topic
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by wahles(m): 9:31am On Mar 21, 2018
Nutase:

I know of 1 dah fixes surgeries for Tuesdays AND Thursdays , so pathetic
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by amakadihot87(f): 9:32am On Mar 21, 2018
Nutase:
.......general hospitals do......they have no value for human life
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:32am On Mar 21, 2018
What are we to do ?

The lady should sue the hospital and if she's not prepared to do that keep quiet. She can prove malpractice and reckless endangerment.

Nigerans are too docile.
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by NoToPile: 9:34am On Mar 21, 2018
Very strange

There's a reason why it's called emergency CS, it's an emergency it wasn't planned.

Which sane hospital has specified days for CS. Something that may be required at any time.

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by Emotionss: 9:35am On Mar 21, 2018
My God!!!!!
We still have a very long way to go in this country
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by Iamrichie: 9:38am On Mar 21, 2018
Naija for show where dey even fixed day for c-section to b done
I hail thee!! grin grin
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by NoToPile: 9:40am On Mar 21, 2018
amakadihot87:
.......general hospitals do......they have no value for human life

They may fix day for surgeries but not emergency surgeries and definately not CS because it may be required at ANY time.

They may schedule a surgery for a particular date which is normal but saying an emergency cs can't happen because they have specified days for surgery is just crazy.

If they do surgeries on monday and Wednesday and an emergency CS has to be done on Tuesday it's plain wickedness to say they can't do it because surgeries are done Monday and wednesday.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by mattyb: 9:41am On Mar 21, 2018
not fair!
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by jashar(f): 9:41am On Mar 21, 2018
but which sector is okay in this Country sef? it's a serious cause for concern...
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by Ghostmode2two(m): 9:44am On Mar 21, 2018
So hospitals now schedule emergency cases? na wa ooo
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by jayson87: 9:47am On Mar 21, 2018
This Danish social worker is Nigeria's woman of the year back to back.
I wonder why most organizations are not reaching out to the charitable work this woman is doing

COCA-cola
Glo
MTN
Forte Oil
Dangote
Unilever
Total
Chevron
She'll
Mobil

You guys can spend billions on celebs but you can't help a meaningful charitable work as that of this Danish Social Worker

3 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by Cosplay: 9:48am On Mar 21, 2018
Let the bashing commence.

Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by kunletexs: 9:53am On Mar 21, 2018
NoToPile:
Very strange

There's a reason why it's called emergency CS, it's an emergency it wasn't planned.

Which sane hospital has specified days for CS. Something that may be required at any time.

welcome to the world of amazement where in the shithole country, anything works and news that cannot happen in common Tanzania would be heard and celebrated here
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by Cmanforall: 10:13am On Mar 21, 2018
Let's not be too quick to judge.
One can't say the situation surrounding that decision. Perhaps the obstetrician/surgeon comes on particular days to that hospital. However, since it's an emergency, the case should be referred ASAP.

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by cherriex(f): 10:16am On Mar 21, 2018
Well it's strange that emergency cs had to wait, but won't believe the story until I hear the other side of the story. Believe me I know what I am saying.

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by eyinjuege: 10:19am On Mar 21, 2018
Nutase:

Some hospitals only take vaginal deliveries. If a case is beyond that, they will be referred out.
Many health centers that deliver babies don't perfrom surgeries. Cases that they see may need surgeries during antenatal are usually asked to register with a general hospital, and will be delivered there.
If a case they initially assessed could be vaginal delivery suddenly becomes one needing surgery, such a person will have to be shipped out to another hospital that has the facilities.
As in this case, they obviously don't do emergency CS but do only planned elective CS. If one of their patients who should have a vaginal delivery suddenly becomes one for surgery on a day they already have planned CS for others , the person is lucky and can be squeezed into their surgery list for that day.
Don't forget that even abroad, women give birth at home under the supervision of a single midwife. If such women suddenly develop complications and will need to have emergency surgery or hospital admission, they will still be shipped to a hospital that can do that
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by Iyajelili(f): 10:20am On Mar 21, 2018
cherriex:
Well it's strange that emergency cs had to wait, but won't believe the story until I hear the other side of the story. Believe me I know what I am saying.
Let me tell you how i lost my mother at a teaching hospital. She was admitted for a week and was discharged on friday but unfortunately for us on saturday we had to rush her back to the hospital and here is how the show began. At the emergency, we waited close to 30minutes before anybody could attend to us, what was the problem we asked and they said the people whose job are to wheel patients into the emergency room were unavailable. I wan craze like are you people foolish or cursed, we were like 5 that went with my mum so why didn't you tell us to carry our thing. Long story short, it was negligence and i don't care behavior that contributed to the loss of my mum so forget Nigerian medical practitioners.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by eyinjuege: 10:26am On Mar 21, 2018
NoToPile:

They may fix day for surgeries but not emergency surgeries and definately not CS because it may be required at ANY time.

They may schedule a surgery for a particular date which is normal but saying an emergency cs can't happen because they have specified days for surgery is just crazy.

If they do surgeries on monday and Wednesday and an emergency CS has to be done on Tuesday it's plain wickedness to say they can't do it because surgeries are done Monday and wednesday.

Their surgeons may only come on Mondays and Wednesdays for planned cases. Any case that becomes an emergency on Tuesday will have to be referred to another hospital as they dont have the skilled manpower on Tuesdays. If an emergency comes on Monday or Wednesday, they will be lucky as they have the personelle on ground on those days, and can be squeezed into their surgery list.
This is obviously what happened in this case, its as simple as that.
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by obi123: 10:33am On Mar 21, 2018
jayson87:
I wonder why most organizations are not reaching out to the charitable work this woman is doing

COCA-cola
Glo
MTN
Forte Oil
Dangote
Unilever
Total
Chevron
She'll
Mobil

You guys can spend billions on celebs but you can't help a meaningful charitable work as that of this Danish Social Worker

she is a gem, so many children are alive because of her, her partner and their team of workers, going round to save discarded children, restoring their place as human beings in this world.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by cherriex(f): 10:54am On Mar 21, 2018
Iyajelili:

Let me tell you how i lost my mother at a teaching hospital. She was admitted for a week and was discharged on friday but unfortunately for us on saturday we had to rush her back to the hospital and here is how the show began. At the emergency, we waited close to 30minutes before anybody could attend to us, what was the problem we asked and they said the people whose job are to wheel patients into the emergency room were unavailable. I wan craze like are you people foolish or cursed, we were like 5 that went with my mum so why didn't you tell us to carry our thing. Long story short, it was negligence and i don't care behavior that contributed to the loss of my mum so forget Nigerian medical practitioners.

Am so sorry for your loss, it's very unfortunate that a lot of things are wrong in this country, you are right, there's so much Negligence in so many hospitals, like in your case that's a stupid excuse given by them. I am a Nurse in a government hospital, and I can assure you not all medical practitioners are lazy,this week alone there are patients that were rushed nd in less than 15 mins, we prepare and section them, I can only speak for where I am working though, been a patient too nd I understand some medical practitioners are just... Terrible.

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by naturalwaves: 11:15am On Mar 21, 2018
Iyajelili:

I'm so sorry dear cry

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by kunletexs: 11:23am On Mar 21, 2018
jayson87:

COCA-cola
Glo
MTN
Forte Oil
Dangote
Unilever
Total
Chevron
She'll
Mobil

nice one there.

but you see the whole thing of reward of good work is gold has been thrown into the dustbin. have you observed that it is only in nigeria that every one is a singer. welcome to the country where mediocrity is celebrated
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by bobbyjude(m): 11:30am On Mar 21, 2018
CastedAyo:
A new mom and nurse with the Children’s Aid Education and Development Foundation (ACAEDF) in Akwa Ibom, almost died alongside her baby last week.

Anja Ringgren Loven a Danish aid worker and founder of (ACAEDF) recounted her story on Facebook revealing that the new mum was rushed to the hospital as soon as labor started.

Things were normal until it was evident the mother needed to birth her kid via an emergency c-section. The hospital, however, refused to carry out the surgery stating that that day was not the day to carry out surgeries. They were told to wait for two days.

The woman identified simply as Rose called Loven’s husband, who rushed her to a private clinic in the middle of the night, where doctors saved her and her kid.

Read the story below;
"Right now millions of woman are pregnant. The majority of pregnant women reading my update right now are from developed countries were giving birth is safe because of professional care and advanced technology.

When I was pregnant with David Jr. I felt very lucky to be able to give birth in Denmark, where we have the most advanced hospitals in the world. I was surrounded by the best medical team of professional doctors and nurses. If any complications would occur during delivery I would be able to get the best treatment in the world. The chance of neonatal death was very minimal.

I´m lucky. But millions of women all over the world are not as lucky as me.

Every year 3.4 million neonatal deaths occur within the first week of life due to inadequate and inappropriate care during pregnancy, delivery and the first hours after birth.

Maternal mortality is unacceptably high. About 830 women die from pregnancy- or childbirth-related complications around the world every day due to very poor conditions. And almost all maternal deaths (99%) occur in developing countries !

Last week DINNødhjælp/ACAEDF nursing officer Rose, went into labour and was rushed to the hospital.
At first everything was very normal but then unforeseen complications started, and Rose had to deliver through a surgical incision, a cesarean.

But unfortunately for Rose she came to the hospital on one of those days were cesareans are not carried out !!! ��
She was told to wait 2 days !!

This is not breaking news but let me remind you that giving birth is not the same as breaking a leg ! This is a pregnancy and if complications occur the baby AND the mother are at very high risk of dying if the right medical care is not provided !

Rose had to call David and Orok who rushed to the hospital to bring her to a private clinic in the middle of the night. The baby almost died !!

But after many stressful hours of worries, our baby boy finally came to the world on the 10 of March ❤️❤️❤️ He is a little fighter, strong as his mother.

My thoughts to Rose ( I love you ) and to all African women who are the ones suffering the most during pregnancy.

Imagine a world where motherhood is safe for all women.
Can’t wait to hold our little boy in my arms very soon ❤️"

https://www.torimill.com/2018/03/pregnant-woman-need-emergency-c-section-turned-away-hospital.html

end time doctors and hospitals everywhere
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by kunletexs: 11:30am On Mar 21, 2018
eyinjuege:

Some hospitals only take vaginal deliveries. If a case is beyond that, they will be referred out.
Many health centers that deliver babies don't perfrom surgeries. Cases that they see may need surgeries during antenatal are usually asked to register with a general hospital, and will be delivered there.
If a case they initially assessed could be vaginal delivery suddenly becomes one needing surgery, such a person will have to be shipped out to another hospital that has the facilities.
As in this case, they obviously don't do emergency CS but do only planned elective CS. If one of their patients who should have a vaginal delivery suddenly becomes one for surgery on a day they already have planned CS for others , the person is lucky and can be squeezed into their surgery list for that day.
Don't forget that even abroad, women give birth at home under the supervision of a single midwife. If such women suddenly develop complications and will need to have emergency surgery or hospital admission, they will still be shipped to a hospital that can do that

the hospitals aboard have the facility and almost all have the surgery of a thing ready and at stand by. but in this country where general hospital would claim they do not have oxygen tank or common surgery glove and needle, etc. then of what use are they called general hospital. i was at the one in gbagada one time and the person who i went with said that this is still the best hospital in lagos and i shook my head as what i saw make me weep for the other not best hospital in nigeria
Re: Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital by Iyajelili(f): 11:46am On Mar 21, 2018
cherriex:

Am so sorry for your loss, it's very unfortunate that a lot of things are wrong in this country, you are right, there's so much Negligence in so many hospitals, like in your case that's a stupid excuse given by them. I am a Nurse in a government hospital, and I can assure you not all medical practitioners are lazy,this week alone there are patients that were rushed nd in less than 15 mins, we prepare and section them, I can only speak for where I am working though, been a patient too nd I understand some medical practitioners are just... Terrible.
If not for people like you trying to convince me now, you need to see how i hate medical practitioners especially those working in Nigerian. Thanks for the soothing words, may God be with you throughout your working carrier.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For January 2 2021 In Nigeria / Interns At Rivers State University Teaching Hospital Protest Over Unpaid Salary / Iwulo Oyin Fun Alafia Arawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.