Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,931 members, 7,952,753 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:09 PM

Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours (9197 Views)

Air France Flight Forced To Land In Kenya After Bomb Was Found In Toilet / Over 120 Escape Death As Aero Aircraft Develops Fault Mid-air / Young Civilian Directs Traffic For Hours...(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by MBG4Real(m): 9:54pm On May 05, 2010
~Borat~:

When i read baba-ole's 'Prominent Nigerians' comment, i stopped reading. I.dio.T!
Why didnt he have a massive heart attack and die
Babatope, you can see how everyone is attacking you for your style of reporting. Take precaution, know you today that people hate bragging.

halfcurren:

My Questions is
“if the weather in Lagos was bad, therefore making it difficult for the plane to land, could it not be better to simply go back to Abuja, or even to the nearest safest airport to land rather than risking the life of about 100 passengers. I am just struggling to understand why a pilot would make seven unsuccessful attempt; spend two hours hovering under “bad weather” condition, and yet insist in landing in same airport – would that not be a decision error on the part of the pilot?.

As for retuing to Abuja the Pilot might have thought about the attitude of Nigerians. When they touch down in abuja You will see some of them asking for their money back. They will even forget what happened aboard.

I thank God for his mercies
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by ricky01: 10:20pm On May 05, 2010
god don save dem, me am being to get scared this wen election don dey come so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if babatunde dies what did it change,,,,,idoit.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by bighead1(m): 12:39am On May 06, 2010
cut d crap the most prominent one in the plane should have died while the average ones should live God why u should have killed the prominent ones that are fraudulent that u should have killed
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by igbogolo: 1:15am On May 06, 2010
I think the aircraft was faulty. Why hover for hours when u can simply go back to abuja or to any other alternative airport?
it easy to blame weather all the time even the plane is faulty.
i remember one trip on aero when 15 minutes to lagos i noticed black liquid spilling on the windows. this continued for sometime and then suddenly it increased at which time the entire engine casing was covered. I called the air hostess and pointed to what i was looking at. I thought this had better not be hydraulic fluid cos if it were then we are finished. the plane made a smooth landing in lagos and i stayed back and called another hostess again and told her what happened. i wanted to speak with the pilot but decided against it as i was satisfied i had made the drawn enough attention to the leak.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by chelseabmw(m): 7:46am On May 06, 2010
Just to let u guys know.I was inside the plane.I thought it was finished but thankGod am alive right now as everything is fine here with me.Omon con see big men dey shout like dog and see tears everywhere.As for me i just carry myself dey look as the plane wan dey land.i pray reach like 49 times before the plane land ooo grin
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by JustSucre: 7:58am On May 06, 2010
, That Babatope man should just shut the Bleep up, he is so full of shit, prominent nigerians my foot, who knows him, thief, What happened is not the falut of the pilot or aero contractors, its weather, HE SHOULD ACTUALLY BE THANKING GOD AND THAT HIGHLY EXPERIENCED PILOT, WHO TRIED 7 GOOD TIMES TO LAND BUT COULDNT BEFORE HE FINALLY LANDED, AND SOME OLD FOOL SOMEWHERE IS YARPING ABOUT, 100 PROMINENT THIEVES, HIA,

He thinks say na yam to fly plane, or pilots are not human beings like us, God bless that Pilot.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by DualCore1: 8:25am On May 06, 2010
Is it only in Nigeria things like this make news? What the hell?! Its a gaddam standard operating procedure. If you cant bring the bird down to its destination, do a U turn and take the bird to the nearest safest landing spot or take it home. d'uh! This is embarrassing. Gawd purnish some people  angry

Then again, aero could be lying. Maybe the landing gears failed and the pilot had to keep jerking the bird to bring out its legs.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by KokoBeware: 9:13am On May 06, 2010
meeeehn! Ireally thank God that that aircraft didnt crash oo! HMM! i am in mh 400 levels right now doing research on the nigerian aviation industry and guess what, i dont think i would fly after the research cuz what ive discovered ranging from lackadaisical attitude of staff to out dtated equipments all endanger lives. and guys plz what should i do? my mumsy has just bookd a flight for my jnr broda from LOS-BEN, on the same AERO!

Charlie, it is not aero that was the problem, its the weather, and i agree with odaeiro i dnt think it is as serious as they want us to believe, though we thank God the plane landed safely, it is not a strange phenomenon for flights to be denied landing due to bad weather,
if you dey fear make ur bros go by road, no wahala ein go reash,
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Jarus(m): 9:28am On May 06, 2010
I think it was weather, not Aero. I was already on board Kaduna-Lagos Chachangi at the same time until we were told to stay back in Kaduna that Lagos weather was inclement at the time. We got to Lag at about 2.30 and still raining.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by bababuff(m): 9:47am On May 06, 2010
My Questions is
“if the weather in Lagos was bad, therefore making it difficult for the plane to land, could it not be better to simply go back to Abuja, or even to the nearest safest airport to land rather than risking the life of about 100 passengers. I am just struggling to understand why a pilot would make seven unsuccessful attempt; spend two hours hovering under “bad weather” condition, and yet insist in landing in same airport – would that not be a decision error on the part of the pilot?.

Point of correction here. Landing a plane is not solely the pilot's effort. The pilot takes instructions from the control tower on the ground and makes the attempts to land when asked to do so. If the weather is bad due to poor visibility or strong headwind, he aborts and try again when asked by the control tower to land again. So lets not blame the pilot, cos he or she was following instructions.

Again, the decision to go back to Abuja or any other airport would depend on the amount of fuel left. After circling for almost 2hours, I doubt if there is enough fuel left for him to head for Abuja. Again he has to be instructed by the control tower to proceed to Abuja.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by thirdi(m): 10:02am On May 06, 2010
I was in a similar incident with IRS from KANO - we could not land and the plane was in the air for 3 hrs as they had to return back to Abuja - was socked that this was not even reported in the papers
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by pj5(f): 10:20am On May 06, 2010
Dual Core:

[color=#000099]Is it only in Nigeria things like this make news? What the hell?! Its a gaddam standard operating procedure. If you cant bring the bird down to its destination, do a U turn and take the bird to the nearest safest landing spot or take it home. d'uh! This is embarrassing. Gawd purnish some people  angry

[b]Then again, aero could be lying. Maybe the landing gears failed and the pilot had to keep jerking the bird to bring out its legs.[/[/b]color]

LWKMD grin
Nigeria has taught us to doubt all things heard and seen. With this Aero guys that are gradually going bankrupt, landing gear failure is a huge possibility. cool
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by favouredjb(f): 11:12am On May 06, 2010
texazzpete:

This Babatope guy sounds like a total douchebag. why is he carping on about 'Prominent Nigerians' and reminding us that the Business class section was filled? All lives are equal - in fact we'd much rather be rid of ancient rogues like him and Igbinedion.

i also cringed when i read that part,like wtf?

lol! at d second bolded
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Amychike: 11:39am On May 06, 2010
babaearly:

So has the plane landed?

No.its still on  air.ODE!
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by talkurmind: 5:53pm On May 06, 2010
God punish you all , i just wish the plane crashed with over 300 prominent thiefs on board, life will be better in this country with a little less crooks,
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by haronky7: 7:57pm On May 06, 2010
How old is the molue plane?

It's damn too ridiculous that a plane would be attempting to land 7 times blaming the weather. Mordern planes with functioning gadgets have landed safely in very challenging weathers, but the second-hand rejects disposed off from the West will face enourmous strain under mild-moderate weather. The worst of our weather is not anything close to severe

If weather is too bad for landing @ Lagos, even an amateurish pilot with few flying lessons will head for the nearest safest airport. Abi dem bury the pilot's placenta for the particular airport?

In this vein, I congratulate NLs Jarus cos it could have been worse; congrats man for the lucky escape!

And for the 'prominent Nigerians' on board who had a lucky escape, what a delusion of grandeur!
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Dolemite(f): 10:49pm On May 06, 2010
Nigerians fear too damn much, the plane couldn't land, what's the problem? You just sit there and chill, no need to panic, you're not going to die, it's not like the plane had any fault.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by shotster50(m): 11:41pm On May 06, 2010
Was wondering if the Esama of Benin was praying to God or was he chanting to his deities and forefathers lol.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by machere44: 6:38am On May 07, 2010
prominent indeed abi criminals, useless people, I am sure itw as because of the innocent ones on board God dint allow it, we would have been rejoicing that at least the loot from the so called 90 prominent nigerians can @ least spread to some other people and hopefully not criminally like mided peeps too,,, crooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by jokingmary(m): 9:57am On May 07, 2010
In trouble people (whether church goers or not) remember GOD
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by ud4u: 11:44am On May 07, 2010
Thank God for that intervention. Jarus we follow you thank God too
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Royou: 2:38pm On May 07, 2010
This shows you how the political class views us all - First there a are prominent Nigerian , then Nigerians----So sad!
I wish no man ill
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Emmacarnegie(m): 2:53pm On May 07, 2010
Tanx to God for his mercie every one is important and is sad lossing any so prominency should not count
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Geezle(m): 4:13pm On May 07, 2010
haronky7:

How old is the molue plane?

It's damn too ridiculous that a plane would be attempting to land 7 times blaming the weather. Mordern planes with functioning gadgets have landed safely in very challenging weathers, but the second-hand rejects disposed off from the West will face enourmous strain under mild-moderate weather. The worst of our weather is not anything close to severe

If weather is too bad for landing @ Lagos, even an amateurish pilot with few flying lessons will head for the nearest safest airport. Abi dem bury the pilot's placenta for the particular airport?

In this vein, I congratulate NLs Jarus cos it could have been worse; congrats man for the lucky escape!

And for the 'prominent Nigerians' on board who had a lucky escape, what a delusion of grandeur!

This is definitely not the worst post I have read, but it is really dumb, does the writer remember that in poland some few weeks ago, the president died, Nna get a life,
The pilots cant reroute except the tower tells em, so WTF? They are still the safest and cheapest way to fly, experience wise
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Ranoscky(m): 4:28pm On May 07, 2010
Baba-Ole abi na wetin u call ursef, na god go punish that your big, wide, dirty, stinking, disgusting, smelling mouth wey u take call ursef among the prominent one's wey dey inside the plane.
useless and silly man, u even open that mouth wey wide like "A.S.S. HOLE" say u dey for first class, ID!OT.
Abi u no know say na b'cos of the innocent one's na'em make god let the plan land successfully?

if not, if u die, "who give's a RAT'S A.S.S.?"  angry angry angry
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by webrichy: 5:58pm On May 07, 2010
Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks, also the hand writes. To wish evil of anyone makes you bad yourself. We should only give God thanks for safe landing.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Hendryx(m): 7:30pm On May 07, 2010
thank GOd for everything. wink
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Leftfoot: 7:53pm On May 07, 2010
Good point.  Imagine wasting expensive aviation fuel for two hours.  Somebody does not have their thinking cap on. 

Quote from: halfcurren on May 05, 2010, 05:14 PM
My Questions is

Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Jarus(m): 8:45pm On May 07, 2010
Leftfoot:

Good point. Imagine wasting expensive aviation fuel for two hours. Somebody does not have their thinking cap on.

Quote from: halfcurren on May 05, 2010, 05:14 PM
My Questions is

so you think aviation fuel is more expensive than lives.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by otawa: 8:46pm On May 07, 2010
"When we got down, my brother, I was shaken. Imagine how this country could have lost between 90 to 100 prominent people in an air crash. It could have been the worst in the history of this country

indeed.

they still your money, make your lives miserable and they are called PROMINENT.

Only in Nigeria!
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by haronky7: 10:08pm On May 07, 2010
@Geezle
That is a damn cheap shot from you

Whether air travel is the safest and fastest way to travel isnt the point here but the point is that I'll be quite suspicious of the plane itself and would question the judgement of the pilot who was attempting 7 times to land a plane in a reportedly bad whether. It's easy to say cos u werent in it

You need the permission of the tower to land a plane of course, and planes could be diverted and landed as an emergency procedure at other airports, and of course with permission from control tower of the new airport

It's not cool to say the post is dumb when you havent given me a more wiser explanation, oga pilot; and to make mention of the Polish crash (which unfortunately killed the President and some top officials) is completely out of point cos I doubt if u knew the details of the crash which I could briefly summarise;

1. the plane itself was an aging Russian plane ( and I asked about the age of the plane in question) Poland has long discussed replacing planes that carry the country's leaders but they lacked the funds.

2. pilot error was blamed as thick fog allegedly was said to be a factor. While traffic controllers generally have the final word in whether it is safe for a plane to land, they can and do leave it to the pilots' discretion. That plane in question was allegedly advised to divert from Smolensk airfield (where the crash occured as this airfield is not equipped with an instrument landing system to guide planes to the ground) but the pilot made the judgement to land it anyhow with devastating consequences.

3. foul play was suspected; there has been longstanding issues of mistrust between the Russians/Polish, dating back to the 2nd world war. And to kill the President and top Govt officials in a crash occuring in Russian airspace was suspicious

Lastly, it is highly repugnant for people to come to this forum without any cogent and convincing statement and yet be calling others 'dumb'; I take offence to that angry Let's be a bit civilised
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Leftfoot: 10:34pm On May 07, 2010
quote by Jarus "so you think aviation fuel is more expensive than lives".

I think you miss the point.  My point is why fly around an unsafe airport for 2 hours when you can go somewhere safe to land.  Two hours fuel can take you to a lot of safe airports in Nig.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Proof Of Ties To Country Of Residence/citizenship / Weather Is Precarious This Week, ‘Be Cautious’ – NCAA Warns Airlines, Travelers / Dana Air Celebrates 10 Years Of Service To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.