Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO (13506 Views)

Polaris Bank Has Been Completely Sold, CBN Names Major Investor / Takem Investment Nigeria Limited: Abuja Major Investor On Fashion / Africa’s Richest Man To Revive Dangote Cement London IPO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO by casualobserver1: 3:13pm On Mar 26, 2018
PearlStreet:

The man who revolutionised Nipost was the late Alhaji Argungu. Young, visionary man. He was being groomed to succeed OBJ as president before he died in the Bellview air crash.

That brings said, any e commerce firm that wishes to succeed in Nigeria must partner with NIPOST. Ignore this advice at your peril.

What it means is that Nigeria lost out big time. The change is just too much. God should just have mercy so that the good ones will survive.
Re: Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO by casualobserver1: 3:14pm On Mar 26, 2018
lobell:

You're right about the charges but there are ways to beat them at their game. When we start naming and shaming them on social media, the bad eggs will be removed with time or they stop their nefarious activities.

This is true. Social media can definitely be leveraged in this area.
Re: Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO by debaj10: 3:27pm On Mar 26, 2018
lobell:
Online marketplaces need to build trust in buyers over profit and over a long period. They have to ensure buyers get what they pay for or get their money back, not some silly vouchers. Also, they need to penalize sellers who consistently receive bad reviews.

Ebay has been successful because it is a buyers market. You cannot as a seller afford to sell substandard goods or ship defective products or take a month to send an item that should have been delivered in a week maximum. You must also describe what it is you are selling to the letter, stating all flaws and damages...basically, full disclosure is encouraged. Who go buy go still buy am like that.

Buyers need to feel safe transacting on any platform. The customer is king and should be treated as such. All existing marketplaces in Nigeria place too much power in the hands of sellers and this is why a new challenger is needed in this space. One that strikes a balance between maintaining profitability for the seller and keeping the buyer safe and happy. One modelled after Ebay, ensuring sellers stay compliant while building trust in buyers.

Guess who that new challenger is? Read beneath the lines.
hi.
I checked d site out.
I sent a message using the contact form there.
if u work wit d site developers, revert asap.
good luck
Re: Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO by overboard(m): 3:36pm On Mar 26, 2018
lobell:

Look in my signature. Mods are not smiling these days...handing out bans like it was going out of fashion...and very long bans at that. I no fit shout.

Lol. Will do.
Re: Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO by lobell: 6:21pm On Mar 26, 2018
debaj10:
hi. I checked d site out. I sent a message using the contact form there. if u work wit d site developers, revert asap. good luck
Will be adding you up shortly.
Re: Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO by Queenserah26(f): 6:27pm On Mar 26, 2018
Follygunners:
We need to face the absolute reality that Jumia and many other online based 9ja companies aren't there yet hence, NOT sustainable. Their customer focus relative to the population break-down from an age perspective is very weak/low. undecided

How can they penetrate a very illiterate portion of the 9ja population? undecided

Why would I wanna purchase a product from Jumia online @ 20% mark-up when I can easily get it anywhere within a reasonable geographical proximity? How can their electronic sales beat the bustling 'Alaba market' and 'Computer village'?

The norm is that online products are supposedly cheaper and more convenient but, that's never the case with Jumia. They're not giving their customers a sufficient reason to patronize them over the competition.

I think Jumia should re-group, re-strategize and re-focus their resources (if any) / business model to accommodate the bulk illiterates. It's just a matter of time before they finally get there.

So true

1 Like

Re: Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO by iamstrong(m): 7:58pm On Mar 26, 2018
lobell:
Online marketplaces need to build trust in buyers over profit and over a long period. They have to ensure buyers get what they pay for or get their money back, not some silly vouchers. Also, they need to penalize sellers who consistently receive bad reviews.

Ebay has been successful because it is a buyers market. You cannot as a seller afford to sell substandard goods or ship defective products or take a month to send an item that should have been delivered in a week maximum. You must also describe what it is you are selling to the letter, stating all flaws and damages...basically, full disclosure is encouraged. Who go buy go still buy am like that.

Buyers need to feel safe transacting on any platform. The customer is king and should be treated as such. All existing marketplaces in Nigeria place too much power in the hands of sellers and this is why a new challenger is needed in this space. One that strikes a balance between maintaining profitability for the seller and keeping the buyer safe and happy. One modelled after Ebay, ensuring sellers stay compliant while building trust in buyers.

Guess who that new challenger is? Read beneath the lines.
have u tried shopping with us ? Visit www.ajebomarket.com!!!
Re: Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO by Olubidex: 9:49pm On Mar 26, 2018
oreayo2011:
the failure of any business venture is our collective failure as an entity called Nigeria.
Are you saying I made Jumia fail after buying from them twice and not satisfied?
Re: Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO by lobell: 9:55pm On Mar 26, 2018
iamstrong:
have u tried shopping with us ? Visit www.ajebomarket.com!!!

Hahaha, I can ask you the same question. See my signature.
Re: Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO by labi1977(m): 9:13pm On Apr 14, 2018
AstroG:
That Jumia Self are bunch of Thieves,all the items I bought and was delivered were all faulty..
I really can't believe it��

Why do people keep making this claim if they were faulty why didn't you return it within 7 days dammit people keep complaining like they don't know that there's a 7 day return policy they will just keep blabbing online

The one time konga sent me a bad item I returned it the next day and got my money and I'm still a happy online shopper

after the 7 days you're on your own but go and get manufacturers warranty anyone that doesn't know all online sites give you 7 days return policy is not meant to shop online by the way it's same on amazon n ebay if you don't like it go and shop at the market

mind you nigerians are theives too they killed at least one jumia driver and do all kinds of ordering scams and fake orders so jumia and konga have tried a lot to move nigeria forward with scant profits
Re: Jumia’s Major Investor, Rocket Internet, Seeks Exit Via IPO by AstroG: 8:28am On Apr 15, 2018
[color=#006600][/color]
labi1977:

Why do people keep making this claim if they were faulty why didn't you return it within 7 days dammit people keep complaining like they don't know that there's a 7 day return policy they will just keep blabbing online

The one time konga sent me a bad item I returned it the next day and got my money and I'm still a happy online shopper

after the 7 days you're on your own but go and get manufacturers warranty anyone that doesn't know all online sites give you 7 days return policy is not meant to shop online by the way it's same on amazon n ebay if you don't like it go and shop at the market

mind you nigerians are theives too they killed at least one jumia driver and do all kinds of ordering scams and fake orders so jumia and konga have tried a lot to move nigeria forward with scant profits

I made a formal claim but they were talking Gibberish,
They Said talk for five consecutive days with coming to a Solution

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fire At Balogun Market, Lagos / Fire Engulfs A Warehouse At Gishiri, Abuja (Photos) / How Profitable Is Recharge Card Business.?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.