Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? (14835 Views)

Who Else Noticed This About True Caller / How To Block Incoming Call Without Notifying The Caller / True Caller: Am I Safe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by BlackPenNG: 8:21pm On Mar 26, 2018
In the wake of spam calls and other vices that Nigerians face via telephone calls, and the most annoying ones of airtel or any other of the network providers, forwarding bot calls to customers, Nigerians have found the need to identify the number calling before they pick up. it has either sides though, but, most of the time, it had really served its function of identifying spammy calls.

How does True Caller work?

I will write a quick run of how True caller really works, if you are one of Nigerians that don’t really know how this app works and have not bothered to ask google.

True caller just like any other app has a backend server, where it stores all info the app gets from users. Have you ever wondered why it needs data connection to function, this is cos, every time you use the True caller search, it connects with its back-end server, and gets a corresponding reply to its query?

Once you are using the true caller app, it asks for access to your phonebook, right? Hurray, all your phone data is being uploaded to the app’s server, which reviewers have termed secure. Fine. Let’s go on

So, as much people that uses the true caller app, all the phone book data ends up in the true caller’s server where they are arranged according to the server’s algorithm. With this, the server has a wealth of data stored in it, all over the world. So, I think you now understand that for every true caller user, their data is being uploaded to a server. Good.
Now, if someone calls you(A), and no name is reflecting on your phone, cos you did not save the person’s phone number, then use the true caller search. Once the person’s(B) number is saved on another person’s phone(C), who uses a true caller app, the name that person(C) saves the number(B) with, will reflect on your(A) phone. lo! And behold, you know who is calling you.

Cool app, but there is a con to it. Identity is relative, and what it means is this, to some people, I am Black Pen, and they probably saved my number with that, to others, it is Oludamola. Let me give you a quick example, I called a friend and my name reflected as Snr(Senior) Damola. This is so cos, there was only one person I gave that number, prior to that time, my junior in secondary school (Cos it wasn’t my hotline), so that’s what she saved it with, and obviously, she uses true caller, so my name is in true caller’s server as Snr Damola.(Finally, I’m popular)
But, the main reason why I decided on writing on this stuff you would probably have checked on google if you ever got curious is, “Are we really safe?”

I don’t know if you are aware of the scandal with Facebook, where details of 50million Americans was used to manipulate the election that got Trump into power, in favour of Trump. If Facebook could have such a massive data breach, which other app would not.

Remember, there are numerous apps on our mobile that we grant various accesses to our data saved on our phone. Social media apps, utility apps etc. my big question is, are we really safe in the midst of all this. It would be surprising but it’s true that with this chunk of info we give to these apps, we are really an open book.

Don’t be surprised to know that many app companies know a lot about you, and with the use of Artificial intelligence, they will tell you thing you don’t even know about yourself, even a crush you don’t know about.

What do we do?

Now that our lives are an open book, what do we do? Well, if you have been following me all along hoping that I would provide a solution to your privacy, I’m sorry to disappoint you, cos there is really no tech way to do that, to use their apps, you have to grant access. But, here are some bulletpoints;

Be careful of the apps you download; The Facebook scandal I mentioned, the company involved only used info gotten by an app that used Facebook account as a log in means. 270,000 people downloaded the app in the US, but with the access to people’s account, they were able to access details of their friends and all, amounting to 50 million persons, and poof! Data was stolen.

Try not to log in with Facebook or google; this might sound difficult, but if you care about privacy, go through the pain of creating passwords and details for each apps you use. That will make you more private.

Never let go of hope; Yes, in this you are not alone, let’s just keep praying/hoping that the big digital tech companies that already have our information in the palm of their hands continue to keep it safe and not do anything dubious with it.

I know you might be a tech geek, enthusiast or learner, if you have an idea of how we could keep our privacy better from this apps and software, kindly use the comment box below and share it. or questions you might want to ask, as you see, I reckon that I’m an open book, so use the comment box too.

It’s the world we are now, digitals. Privacy is only to an extent, to stay connected with the rest of the world, you have to part with something, and that is your information. But don’t be scared, the email you drop on this blog for subscription doesn’t have access to your details, so, subscribe to get more updates from us

Here, I rest my pen.

Source: http://www.blackpenng.com/2018/03/with-true-caller-is-our-privacy-really.html

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Thewesterner(m): 9:15pm On Mar 26, 2018
Very informative

4 Likes

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Papiikush: 7:11am On Mar 27, 2018
I hate that app. I'll Never install it on my phone. Don't care about who is calling me

5 Likes

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by everlymoore86(m): 7:13am On Mar 27, 2018
This is very nice , but does it identify hidden numbers ?
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Nobody: 7:13am On Mar 27, 2018
angry

The app is one of the best so far....we keep shouting privacy in this country whereas most of us don't even have a private life... Smh.

The worst that can be done to your phone number is for it to be sold to data collectors.. Shikena!!

The choice still remains with you... To use or Not to use.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Aden777(m): 7:13am On Mar 27, 2018
I do much love it.

1 Like

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by inoki247: 7:13am On Mar 27, 2018
So tru kola dey monitor me..
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Lincoln275(m): 7:14am On Mar 27, 2018
I think you should have accepted terms and condition before you start using true callers' App

5 Likes

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by nony43(m): 7:15am On Mar 27, 2018
V
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by dust144(m): 7:15am On Mar 27, 2018
Everything online monitors those who subscribe for them.
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by henrygale(m): 7:16am On Mar 27, 2018
Good info.
However, all these apps has a way of being a step ahead of them.
For truecaller, if you don't want anyone to be able to trace your identity using truecaller, just register on true caller with a name that is anonymous.......simple.
I did it and it worked for me.
When I realised that true caller was divulging my identity, I just registered on true caller with a strange name with my number, and that stopped my real name popping up whenever it is searched on true caller or people with true caller apps on their phones calls my line.
Try this and thank me.later.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Olalan(m): 7:16am On Mar 27, 2018
We have a choice, to use or not to,
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by AnaCheks(m): 7:16am On Mar 27, 2018
Nice piece

1 Like

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by GenbIoodykiller: 7:16am On Mar 27, 2018
cheesy
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by peacettw: 7:16am On Mar 27, 2018
I am not a religious fanatic but I do sincerely believe that a day shall come when no one can claim any right to his privacy anymore.

5 Likes

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by sekzy99(m): 7:17am On Mar 27, 2018
Nice one
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Philinho(m): 7:17am On Mar 27, 2018
No one Is secured anymore .Science implicates Humanity on a daily basis.
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Olawalesadiq(m): 7:17am On Mar 27, 2018
k
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by lawrenzi(m): 7:18am On Mar 27, 2018
informative
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Myself2(m): 7:19am On Mar 27, 2018
What's so special about an app having access to your phone contacts, ? It's not like you are that big or famous to be specifically targeted

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Quality20(m): 7:19am On Mar 27, 2018
na wa for true caller o. That was how I typed a lovly girls number on their search engine and it popped up with d name; bitch. And this is a very descent and moral girl I knew to some extent

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by talk2hb1(m): 7:20am On Mar 27, 2018
Loss of privacy is the ultimate price we pay for all this free stuff presented to us.
imagine the cost of using whatsapp, gmail, etc if we are to be billed on monthly basis, but since we have them for free, the owner needs to declare profit (our privacy) to their investors. I uninstalled facebook, twitter, linkedin apps on my phone.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Koko88(m): 7:20am On Mar 27, 2018
What can I say?
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by ogaga4u2(m): 7:22am On Mar 27, 2018
With technology nothing is hidden in this global village we are.
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by mmclatino(m): 7:24am On Mar 27, 2018
Stay wise .
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Weareone202: 7:25am On Mar 27, 2018
True caller revealing people true identity
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by gamaliel9: 7:28am On Mar 27, 2018
henrygale:
Good info.
For truecaller, if you don't want anyone to be able to trace your identity using truecaller, just register on true caller with a name that is anonymous.......simple.
When I realised that true caller was divulging my identity, I just registered on true caller with a strange name with my number, and that stopped my real name popping up whenever it is searched on true caller or people with true caller apps on their phones calls my line.

Me too...up your game...but those know me,when they see that name,they shout and rave..asking me how i did it. You just mentioned cheesy

1 Like

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Ipfreely: 7:30am On Mar 27, 2018
To unlist any phone number from Truecaller, visit

https://www.truecaller.com/unlisting

Once unlisted it stays unlisted even if the number gets updated on their central database from another source.

Truecaller is a gross invasion of privacy. However reverse phone lookup has been around for eons. It's not exactly a new idea. Just far more effective and virulent.

Its access isn't limited to phone numbers. It extends to actual photos, facebook and other social media or indeed address and other information for all contacts stored in contact files.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/49c0q9/its_actually_impossible_to_unlist_the_phone/

https://m.businesstoday.in/story/truecaller-database-hacked-confirmed-investigation-on/1/197016.html

4 Likes

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by nobsalis: 7:31am On Mar 27, 2018
henrygale:
Good info.

Tried it and yet it didn't work out
Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Allwility: 7:32am On Mar 27, 2018
Now that everyone seems to be taking their privacy so serious, did you know that Facebook constantly upload your call logs and texts to their servers unless you've turned it off. Check your settings.

Infact beware of apps that makes use of your location, microphone, or asks for permission to read your SD card, phone logs, contacts and so on.

4 Likes

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:35am On Mar 27, 2018

BY INSTALLING THE APP, YOU'RE CARELESSLY INTERFERING WITH PEOPLE'S PRIVACY, AND EXPOSING THEM AND EVERY POSSIBLE INFORMATION TO THE CYBER WORLD.

THIS APP ALLOWS PEOPLE TO GET YOUR REAL NAMES, AND SOMETIMES YOUR PICTURES AND ADDRESS.. DEPENDING ON HOW YOUR NUMBER WAS SAVED BY THE PEOPLE WHO INSTALL THIS APP.

TO KEEP YOURSELF PRIVATE AND SECURE, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE THIS APP.
THEN GO TO WWW,TRUECALLER,COM/UNLIST TO UNLIST YOUR NUMBER FROM THE LIST OF NUMBERS IN THEIR DATABASE.

WITH THE AMOUNT OF INFO WE GIVE OUT TO GOOGLE, FB, AND THE REST OF THESE SOCIAL SITES NOBODY IS UNKNOWN OR SECURED ANYLONGER.

7 Likes

Re: With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? by Ipfreely: 7:39am On Mar 27, 2018
In addition, if you'd like to run a search via Truecaller but you're not comfortable with your contacts being uploaded to their servers, then there are a couple of workarounds:

-Use Truecaller via a web browser. Don't install the Truecaller app. That limits its access to your locally stored data.

-Always uncheck the Enhanced Search box. This ensures that your contacts are never uploaded.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 "Not Registered On Network" Problem / Latest In Town Startimes Solar 5 Smartphone See Features / All You Need To Know About Mtn 2gb For 500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.