Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity (12971 Views)

Isi-Ọdum is not Isi-Agu / Anioma Wake Up.... Unlearn The Rubbish They Told U And Accept Your Igbo Identity / Lady Makes Shorts With "Isi Agu": "This Is A Total Disrespect To Our Culture" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by soloxxng: 11:21pm On Mar 26, 2018
Is isi-agụ the right name for this cloth material that is associated with the Igbos?

Yes, isi-agụ is its correct name but what is on the cloth is isi ọdụm (lion's head), not isi agụ (leopard's head)

Does that nullify the name? No.

Is it the first time a wrong name has been given to something in Igbo, English, Latin, etc? No.

The people who named this cloth mistakenly called it isi-agụ. But that wrong name has become its name. It can't be changed soon. It does not even matter anymore.

It is that mistake that contributed to the confusion many Igbos who are under 50 have over which animal is agụ and which one is ọdụm.

Ọdụm is lion.

Agụ is leopard.

That is why we say: Ọdụm na-egbu agụ (the lion that kills the leopard). That is why God is called Ọdụm nke ebo Juda (the Lion of the tribe of Juda).

Tiger never existed in Africa and was never seen or known by our forefathers. So they had no name for it. But in modern times, some people also call the tiger agụ. However, I have suggested that it be called agụ-ukwu (the big leopard), because it is the biggest of the big cats, while cheetah should be called agụ-ọsọ (the speed leopard), because it is the fastest land animal.

So should isi-agụ be changed to isi- ọdụm? It is not necessary. Languages don't develop like that.

Similar mistakes had been made in Igbo before. Some months ago, I asked people on Facebook what is the Igbo name for library, since school is already called ụlọ akwụkwọ (book house), and what is the Igbo name for pharmacy, since hospital is already called ụlọ ọgwụ (drug house). It caused a lot of confusion and introspection.

School has been "erroneously" named ụlọ akwụkwọ. It can't be changed anymore. Library will have to get a different name. Same goes for pharmacy.

In English, similar mistakes have been made countless times. When the world erroneously thought the earth was flat, they coined the words "sunrise" and "sunset", believing that the sun rose from the east and set in the west. Centuries ago it was discovered and certified that the sun never rises and never sets. Rather the earth rotates round the sun. Centuries after, the words sunset and sunrise have not been abolished in English. We use it everyday even though we know sunset and sunrise are scientifically wrong and non-existent.

Similarly, the months September means 7th month (ie septuagenarian); October means 8th month (ie octagon, octogenarian); November means 9th month (ie nonagon, nonagenarian); December means 10th month (ie decimal, decade, decimetre). But in reality they are 9th, 10, 11th, 12th month respectively in the Gregorian calendar we use today. This is because the old calender did not capture 2 months. The current calendar captured them, gave them names and adjusted the months by 2 months, causing the mix-up we have today. But nobody bothers to change the names of the months to reflect their true meanings.

Again when Christopher Columbus set out for India through a different route, he landed in North America. Thinking it was another part of India, he called the indigenous people he saw there Red Indians. West Indies also got its name via that mistake. These names have stuck till today even though North America has no connection with India.

So isi-agụ was mistakenly named by those who didn't know the difference between agụ (leopard) and ọdụm (lion). But that name has stuck. It can't be changed now. Isi-agụ is its name.

Interestingly, some isi-agụ materials bear no animal pictures (as can be seen in some of the attached pictures), but are still called isi-agụ. Some even have the pictures of other animals but are still called isi-agụ. So it is no longer the picture drawn on this material that makes people call it isi-agụ. It is the material and what it represents. It is the cloth material that points to the Igbos as a people. The Igbos have adopted it as the cloth that gives them their identity. So isi-agụ is it!

If you don't have your isi-agụ, nwanne, ndo.

© Agunze Azuka
https://m./942897792539847?view=permalink&id=987334154762877
Cc: Lalasticlala

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by colossus91(m): 11:49pm On Mar 26, 2018
nice....finally glo allowed me...ftc.....shoutout to all them men hitting it hard to make the mulla bless up this year!!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by okeke00(m): 1:22pm On Mar 27, 2018
Pentecostalism can never wipe away our culture. We will rather get rid of them before they wipe us out. Lord chosen be warned!

8 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by skulgen: 1:22pm On Mar 27, 2018
Igbo Amaka.

Proud Igbo Boy.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by babyfaceafrica: 1:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
Doesn't matter...cloth na cloth
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by chukzyfcbb: 1:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
isi agu wey girls don abuse finish.

2 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by mayowascholar(m): 1:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
noted
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by edlion57(m): 1:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
If you are not igbo u can never be an igboman(Wiseman)

13 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by skulgen: 1:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
babyfaceafrica:
Doesn't matter...cloth na cloth

Matters alot

Hide ur face

Dnt start another thread (nepotism)

26 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by judecares1(m): 1:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
i blame d mod who moved this nonsense to fp
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Okundaye4(m): 1:24pm On Mar 27, 2018
Okay, Noted.
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Cladez(m): 1:24pm On Mar 27, 2018
Number 1 TRIBE

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by LordKO(m): 1:24pm On Mar 27, 2018
Really! It's obvious that you only hold brief for the small-minded class of my tribesmen. Because it's an insult to postulate that a quasi-meaningless material thing as ish agu cloth is an identifier of a sane and sound Igbo person.

Conscientiousness is the idiosyncrasy of the aristocratic Igbos, our identity.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by babyfaceafrica: 1:24pm On Mar 27, 2018
skulgen:

Matters alot
ok...use am withdraw money
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by OMEGA009(m): 1:24pm On Mar 27, 2018
OP, your write up on change of name or lack of it has no bearing IMHO. The black descendants in America used 2 be called “Black Americans” until it was deemed as politically incorrect and it was changed to African Americans. The real indigenes of America are now called Native Americans and not “Red indians” as they used to be. Same goes for female “hostesses and actresses”. If the world can change, I think the word “isi-agu” a cloth that was “borrowed” from the western colonists can be renamed to a correct nomenclature. My 2 kobo

2 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by skulgen: 1:26pm On Mar 27, 2018
babyfaceafrica:
ok...use am withdraw money

Sure i will.

Stop hating.

One love.
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by DaddyKross: 1:26pm On Mar 27, 2018
Agu

3 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by mesoprogress(m): 1:27pm On Mar 27, 2018
Good narrative

2 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by babyfaceafrica: 1:28pm On Mar 27, 2018
skulgen:

Sure i will.

Stop hating
am not like you..I don't hate ....I also don't spend too much time on irrelevant things
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Buffalowings3(m): 1:28pm On Mar 27, 2018
Nice

I need one

1 Like

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Nwaisuochi(m): 1:29pm On Mar 27, 2018
Beautiful write-up Azuka! Ka udo chia n'ala Biafra! I see!

6 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by NgNewsTv: 1:30pm On Mar 27, 2018
Visit CandyTv.com.ng
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by cyndy1000(f): 1:34pm On Mar 27, 2018
Abu mu onye igbo! Igbo Amaka!

10 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 27, 2018
Nice! were can i buy a pair of these clothings?
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Nobody: 1:39pm On Mar 27, 2018
Aba boys have even turned it to t shirts.

2 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by CSTR1002: 1:39pm On Mar 27, 2018
Damn.

I like that isi agu that was crafted like a coat in the first picture.

I will show it to my tailor

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Maxcollins042(m): 1:46pm On Mar 27, 2018
This is the sort of thread that we should be seeing on nairaland. OP God bless you for sharing with us this insightful post. I have learnt something meaningful today smiley

3 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by chiogoezubem(f): 1:49pm On Mar 27, 2018
Following
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Darkseid(m): 1:49pm On Mar 27, 2018
Shebi that second picture still qualify as Isi-agu abi na Isi-tomato? In my town, lion is referred to as agu; the same way Owerri people refer to akpu as loi-loi.
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Maxcollins042(m): 1:50pm On Mar 27, 2018
aleeyus:
you mean?
It is either that you get rid of tribalism or it suffocates you. My 2cents.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples / Are Hispanics Mixed Descendant Of African Slaves And European Colonists / Igbo And Yoruba Rivalry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.